Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Part One: 2023 Prog Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Doo you have afavourite album of these choices?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [12.20%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.44%]
3 [7.32%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [12.20%]
1 [2.44%]
1 [2.44%]
2 [4.88%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.44%]
1 [2.44%]
1 [2.44%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.44%]
4 [9.76%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [9.76%]
1 [2.44%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [9.76%]
6 [14.63%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 00:35
Still Haken.

So many great releases in 2023. These are the top 20% of the 250+ releases I've listened to in detail.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - February 27 2024 at 01:48
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 05:26
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Peter Gabriel - i/o
    Haken - Fuana
    Swans - The Beggar
    Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex

Hi,

My preference is to think of "prog albums" as NEW MUSIC, or what I tend to call NEW MOMENTS in time. Thus, in general, some of the old guard, or folks that have been there before rarely would be mentioned in my lists.

My list would include, and this is just a toy here, since I rarely do lists in music:

Agusa - Prima Materia
PoiL - Poil Ueda
La Theorie des Cordes - 4u-9525

I have been spoiled for a long time with new music, starting in 1967/1968 ... all new ... and no excuses (specially Space Pirate Radio!) ... and you heard anything that was not known ... and I think that was the best part ... all these "unknowns" ended up being really far out ... and we still listen to them, today. And seeing some really way out stuff on the best list for the year, is something that gives me a tear ... of thanks. 

But, my ears, have had enough SW and PG ... and I do not specially find anything new in their work .... SW's best in the past several years was the piece with Ninet Tayeb (Pariah) ... and he never had the courage to even try some more things in the theatrical side of things ... that one was far out and special ... but ignored, because it was so "violent" in terms of emotion, and we don't like true emotion in "progressive music", although we seem to have heard Bent Knee ... barely!

Some of that "emotional" thing in music, reminds me of the early days of Peter Hammill, when he spoke, screamed and sang, all in the same piece ... and it was far out and so out of time with everything else everyone did who was just trying to sing "notes" and had less music to show for it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 07:21
Father Robin!!!
The Prog Corner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12