Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Peter Hammill vs Van Der Graaf Generator Poll 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peter Hammill vs Van Der Graaf Generator Poll 1

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Peter Hammill vs Van Der Graaf Generator Debut Albums
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [47.83%]
12 [52.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peter Hammill vs Van Der Graaf Generator Poll 1
    Posted: January 31 2024 at 11:58
This Series of polls aims to pit Peter Hammill's Solo Discography Against VDGG'S Discography, we're starting off with each debut album. I'd love to hear your thoughts Smile
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 12:06
Excellent series conception. I like both, but Fool's Mate. Peter Hammill is so awesome with or without the VdGG name.

Edited by Logan - January 31 2024 at 12:07
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 12:07
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I like both, but Fool's Mate. Peter Hammill is so awesome with or without the VdGG name.

Can't argue with that, I've been into his solo discography recently, and there's a LOT there to dig into, so i'm set for a while.
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 12:08
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

I like both, but Fool's Mate. Peter Hammill is so awesome with or without the VdGG name.

Can't argue with that, I've been into his solo discography recently, and there's a LOT there to dig into, so i'm set for a while.

I was listening to Black Box some time back, and it is so good.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 12:10

Especially that flight suite! I'm listening to 'The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage' right now, actually

Edited by Frets N Worries - January 31 2024 at 12:11

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 12:19

Especially that flight suite! I'm listening to 'The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage' right now, actually

That suite is amazing. I listened to that again the other day. I was going to put it in my little track series but opted to go with things shorter. Love it. The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage is a desert island album for me. A real favourite of my favourite albums.

One thing with VdGG and Hammill is that despite getting into the music about 20 years ago, I never lost interest and always found more to appreciate unlike so many others that I feel out of interest with. My appreciation keeps growing and growing, and I did not binge releases by the band/artists because there is so much substance that deserves repeated listening over time, when in different head-spaces... It really has stood the test of time for me. Magical.

Edited by Logan - January 31 2024 at 12:23
Snikle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snikle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 15:35
I'd go with Fool's Mate over AGM, if I could vote. It's neat hearing Peter Hammill doing more poppish early '70s songs. I saw a review on here once that likened it to a Kinks album but darker, which I agree with. The Aerosol Grey Machine has a few songs I like but I don't listen to them often, save for "Aquarian."
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 22:34
I went with Fool's Mate as well. Aerosol Grey Machine was a promising start and contains a few VdGG-classics such as Afterwards, Into a Game and Necromancer, but every song on his solo debut is quite wonderful. As the scource material are songs written in the 1960's - the oldest dates as far back as 1966, it sounds nothing like Pawn Hearts (recorded just two months later), but older. Or younger, I guess. It reminds me a little of Joni Michells folksy and youthful debut album. It also contained material that had been with her for two, three and even four years.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - January 31 2024 at 23:09
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 00:32
Fool's Mate Smile
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 04:26
The Aerosol Grey Machine was my introduction to everything VdGG and Hammill, so it has a special place to me. Fool's Mate is great too.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 04:28
No chance of a stalemate for me. The Aerosol Grey Machine wins easily. Smile
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 05:48
I like both, but prefer The Aerosol Grey Machine, so it got my vote.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 08:27
Basically they are two solo albums by Hammill.

In my opinion, Aerosol is more insipired.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 12:24
Aerosol get my vote
... planned first as a pH's solo LP....
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2024 at 16:46
I like both albums, but tend to think that "The Aerosol Grey Machine" is underrated, which gets my vote.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
 Post Reply Post Reply