Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PA Albums of 2023: Official Results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 08:33
Pedro, the amount of prog music released each year is vast. Who is to say what is worthy and what isn't. People may find one gem in here which only one person suggested.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 12:42
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

... washing machine juice ...

That would make a cool band name. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 13:05
I consider my 57 in and out of PA choices worthy of note, and the top 30 is very strong for me.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 14:58
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

This is why I didn't vote. All the listed albums are almost unknown to me. My bad.
I didn't vote this year mainly cause I just did not have time, too busy with work and the new process I did not have time to figure it out.
I don't listen to pretty much anything on the final list, assuming I am looking at the final results list......Seems like all of it is extremely obscure bands.
I've clicked on some of it to get a feel for what people voted for............

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 15:31
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

This is why I didn't vote. All the listed albums are almost unknown to me. My bad.
I didn't vote this year mainly cause I just did not have time, too busy with work and the new process I did not have time to figure it out.
I don't listen to pretty much anything on the final list, assuming I am looking at the final results list......Seems like all of it is extremely obscure bands.

Being that you are huge into Rush did you at least listen to Crown Lands?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 19:14

Hi,

I know there is a lot of music ... a lot!

But I'm in the same boat ... I don't want to vote when I have not been able to hear more stuff ... that might have been left behind because it is less seen and mentioned, or found. I've mentioned this before here in the board, and this is where I hoped our folks all discussed more many of these "new" listings ... so we can "validate" their entries so to speak into the listings.

I guess this is a GREAT time for the music to be out there, and have a chance at getting somewhere, and this is our hope, I suppose ... and that would be a good thing. But if I had a band, and was listed as 223 for the year 2023 ... I don't know how I would feel. I suppose thankful that I was noticed ... and then go back to the scratching board and start on the next piece or album. I keep thinking that I have to be into the art itself, and not the numbers. 

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I consider my 57 in and out of PA choices worthy of note, and the top 30 is very strong for me.

And I listened to ALL of these! I think I missed a couple that did not have BC and were forcing you to pay up. I am on a very limited budget.

Edited by moshkito - February 04 2024 at 19:17
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2024 at 01:06
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

But if I had a band, and was listed as 223 for the year 2023 ... I don't know how I would feel

I think most bands would feel honoured, because they know that this puts them in the top 5% of all releases that year. The AP database currently contains 2660 releases for 2023, and there's far more out there. 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2024 at 02:05
Of the 271 albums on the 2023 list, these are the only albums I've listened to so far:-

002.5 stars 2023: Zopp - Dominion - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvqUDj1Iy54
176.4 stars 2023: Comedy of Errors - Threnody for a Dead Queen - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lTAuI_uwWXUF0yvKU47HxL6Pw3n71kTo8
239.3 stars 2023: Roger Waters - The Dark Side of the Moon Redux - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDhajrZgo0TLJDDMa0XI_zqybDzGBoWfH
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2024 at 10:22
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm not sure, I clicked on so many its like a fog now LOL........I will for sure hit this one up!
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2024 at 15:58
Where's Billie Bottle's Temple of Shibboleth? It's in PA's database. Here's my posted review:  https://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=83457

I don't understand how one contributor (Mellotron Storm) can get five (5) albums to earn 18 points each! Does that mean if I had listed 10 albums as tied for first place they each would have earned 20 points?

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2024 at 16:04
^ I added an unranked mode where the points are evenly distributed between all releases. But that mode does not give someone more points to distribute in total. For a ranked list of five releases it's 90 points (20,19,18,17,16) and for an unranked list of five as well (5x18 = 90).

What about the Billie Bottle release? It's in the AP database and linked to PA, so it can be voted for in the poll ...

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - February 06 2024 at 16:07
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2024 at 21:23
Drew should probably avoid math rock Wink

Edited by richardh - February 06 2024 at 21:23
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 12:40
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Me like.....
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2024 at 09:21
Is this AOTY 2023 poll dynamic or was it locked February 1, 2023?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2024 at 11:25
While it would be better for Mike to answer.... The official results for the PA Album of the Year event were set by Feb 1, 2024; however, one can keep using progfreak, oops, I mean awesomeprog, to update one's own lists. While having official results set by February, I had hoped that people might keep adapting their lists and we could revisit the tallies later to see how it has changed. Mike knows his site and its capabilities as he has set them and wants them best. I like dynamic lists/ charts.

Edited by Logan - March 09 2024 at 14:24
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2024 at 15:47
^ Yes, these polls are fully dynamic - everyone can keep submitting votes. The combined chart as well as the user lists can be viewed and exported for any given day, see for example:

This shows the results based on lists posted until the last day of February 2024.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - March 09 2024 at 16:13
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 14:51
2023 was an awesome year.

I think Seven Impale, Jack O’ the Clock, and Sonar hit the ball out of the park.

Peter Gabriel’s album is the disappointment of the year for me. It’s the first Gabriel major release I just can’t get into.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 14:56
^ I'm still exploring the year, there's at least 50 more releases from 2023 on my listening queue.

You're welcome to add your list to the ongoing poll here: https://awesomeprog.com/release-polls/pa/aoty-2023/vote
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 22:14
Love the PG release. Wasn't sure about it when it frst came out but it just gets better and better the more time you spend with it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123