Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favourite Rock Operas?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2024 at 11:24
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

so what's the difference between a rock opera and a concept album? Confused

Concept and vocals. I think the main aspect of a Rock/Metal opera is having a concept involving a narrative with several characters who are singing dialogues, usually with different vocalists. 

oh, got it. Confused
By this definition, Tommy is not a rock opera. 
But most of Ayreon are rock operas. Confused LOL

Hi,

And, in general, the majority of "concept" pieces are sung by one person, and it becomes a "make believe" thing for the audience. An opera does has a fairly strong and complete story to tell, and the different vocalists are the various characters in it.

In general, "rock opera" is a term that is slightly mis-used, since just about everything listed here is sung by one person with the exception of a choir/chorus type of moments added. It doesn't exactly, make for a "rock opera" ... since rock bands have very limited use of vocals, by more than one person.

The idea, is good ... the reality is bad and not on par with the music history and its story, where opera has been, generally, very strong and with excellent voices carrying it. I still think of TURANDOT as the best one as it features (in recordings) some insanely beautiful work by Renata Tebaldi and Birgit Nilsson. I don't think that a rock band will ever come close to creating something like that ... in general, rock music is way too simplistic to make the grade.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2024 at 12:31
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

An opera does has a fairly strong and complete story to tell, and the different vocalists are the various characters in it.

That looks good to me. Thumbs Up

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2024 at 12:44
This looks good to me too:

"The use of various character roles within the song lyrics is a common storytelling device."

( Quoted from  https://rateyourmusic.com/list/siLLy_puPPy/rock-opera-albums-the-complete-list/ .)

But I guess it could be possible too to tell a fairly strong and complete story within the lyrics without any characters, 
so characters are maybe not crucial for being considered as Rock opera.

Edited by David_D - February 08 2024 at 14:33
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2024 at 18:03
The Who "Tommy"
Pink Floyd- "The Wall" 
Gandalf's Fist- " The Clockwork Fable"
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2024 at 07:35

The Pretty Things' S.F. Sorrow may be a lesser known Rock opera but is much appreciated, and I'm very fond of it myself....as long as 
I don't begin to think of Oasis Wink. Anyway, here's a sample for those who are not familiar with it:

Edited by David_D - February 12 2024 at 08:46
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2024 at 12:39
My favourites would be:

War Of The Worlds
The Human Equation
The Theory Of Everything
Into The Electric Castle
Ghostlights
Moonglow

Yes, I am a big fan of Ayreon and Avantasia (more so the former!)😎

I also love Tommy, but have only heard the studio album version, not the soundtrack. For me, a true rock opera has to feature different vocalists. But that’s just in my head, not from any rigid definition😀
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2024 at 15:07
Tommy and Quadrophenia and Lamb...

Tommy and Lamb (when released) were masterpieces that may not have withstood the test of time so well.  I cringe a little now at the "concepts"... But when younger they were really something.  Quadrophenia holds up better. Never cared much for War of the Worlds but people like it.  Ouch

I thought "The Wall" was Pink Floyds biggest slice of cheese the day I first heard it.  but it has a few tracks that work on their own.

JC Superstar Andrew Lloyd Weber...  a brilliant album as far as Rock Operas go.

Edited by Valdez1 - February 13 2024 at 15:12
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2024 at 15:56
I've just watched and enjoyed Tommy this afternoon, after years from the last time. My fav is still JCS, anyway. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2024 at 15:59
In terms of movies, I'd like to watch Peter Watkins' "Privilege" again. I've seen it only once many years ago, but I'm sure that Roger Waters has taken inspiration from it for "The Trial" in "The Wall" 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2024 at 16:45
As I seem to be the only resident Kayak fan I have to mention
Merlin: Bard Of The Unseen
Nostradamus: The Fate Of Man
Cleopatra: The Crown Of Isis

the first was an extension of their popular early 80's album 'Merlin', you can find a DVD of the performance which used a back video screen with an orchestra and a couple of ballet dancers front of stage. Sadly the narrator (and joint founder and drummer of the band) Pim Koopman is no longer with us. Due to the poor health of the other joint founder Ton Scherpenzeel they played their farewell tour last year. It's unclear whether the 2021 album release Out Of This World will be their last. Despite not being much talked about, all of their 18 albums have solid ratings. No stinkers!
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2024 at 16:48
Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds makes my list, so does Quadrophenia, The Lamb, Tommy, The Wall, etc
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123