Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Triumvirat's "Illusions"-50 years old!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Triumvirat's "Illusions"-50 years old!
    Posted: February 29 2024 at 08:57
This coming March of 2024 is the 50th anniversary of the release of what I feel is German progressive rock band Triumvirat's best album, and the greatest progressive rock recording of them all, "Illusions On A Double Dimple", initially issued in Europe in March of 1974. Triumvirat laboured on it's recording for quite some time, and it was well worth the wait, as it is astounding, both lyrically and instrumentally, and for me is one of those timeless records that still sounds fresh and invigorating, even this many decades later! The record did well, and expanded interest in Triumvirat with it's subsequent release and issue in other parts of the world, most notably in North America in the summer of 1974, and made the top 50 of the US album charts that year. And this was the first presentation on a full lp record of the lineup including multi-instrumentalist, songwriter and lead vocalist Helmut Koellen, who joined in the middle of it's recording, and whose talent and musical spirit helped catapult the band to greater heights with this album, and the subsequent release of "Spartacus" in 1975.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCoIWItQ0Xs

Edited by presdoug - February 29 2024 at 09:09
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 09:00
^ video is not working 
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 09:06
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ video is not working 
I tried to repost the video but it would not work. I guess I will have to do without.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 09:07
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

^ video is not working 
I tried to repost the video but it would not work. I guess I will have to do without.

post the video link Smile
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 09:09

^ video is not working 

post the video link Smile
  will do
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 09:51

Happy birthday, Dimples.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 10:18
^thanks, Greg, for helping with posting that video! cheers....
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 10:56
"Remastered" ⨯post from the Triumvirat appreciation thread:
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

IoaDD is a particularly lighthearted album. One of the things that makes it unique and differentiates it from ELP's output is the use of guest strings, horns, female harmony adlibs, occasional co-lead vocals (provided by Fritz), and lots of acoustic guitar (used more extensively that on any studio ELP album)

I listened to the title song again, and noticed an uncredited harpsichord part at 9:46! How could I not notice it before!? xD Also there's a clavinet riff at 13:10 (miscredited as electric piano).

Perhaps Jürgen Fritz had a Hohner Duo? It's technically an Pianet electric piano with a clavinet mechanism inside. You can play either using the same manual or both simultaneously from what I've read.

Edited by Hrychu - February 29 2024 at 10:59
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 11:12
Listened to this album a while back. Pretty dang good tbh. Maybe I should listen to it once more someday.
D~B
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 11:16
I just listened to this record the other day for the first time, I think it's brilliant
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
ProcolWho? View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProcolWho? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 20:29
  Better late than never .  Was epic day 1
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2024 at 02:46
Hi,

Another cover for the FURRY thread ... which I can't find now!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2024 at 22:58
Nothing else they did came close imo. If I have any 'criticism' it's simply that Triumvirat (much like Camel) were not putting anything out that was 'progressive'. ELP, Yes, Tull and King Crimson had laid down the rules already. Even back in 1974 it was a case of 'what's next?'. I'm not sure that prog bands were really answering that question but rather were embedded in a style that was already established. Old school symphonic prog was about 3 years away from virtually disappearing off the map. However it was the bands such as Triumvirat and Socrates plus numerous RIP bands that were putting out the most interesting prog music. Rush took it in a heavier direction but that's another story almost.

So where does IOADD fit into the symph prog genre? According to PA it's the lower reaches of the Top 100 of that sub genre.
That seem a lttle low have to say. There are even Flower Kings albums that rank higher. I do love it's purity of purpose though and as said it doesn't have the overbearing (for many) bombast of ELP. Deserves to be recognised for sure. Rolling Stone put it in their list of best 50 prog albums ever made. That's a stretch for me but shows that it stands out at least.

Edited by richardh - March 02 2024 at 22:59
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2024 at 23:14

This coming March of 2024 is the 50th anniversary of the release of what I feel is German progressive rock band Triumvirat's best album, and the greatest progressive rock recording of them all, "Illusions On A Double Dimple", initially issued in Europe in March of 1974. Triumvirat laboured on it's recording for quite some time, and it was well worth the wait, as it is astounding, both lyrically and instrumentally, and for me is one of those timeless records that still sounds fresh and invigorating, even this many decades later! The record did well, and expanded interest in Triumvirat with it's subsequent release and issue in other parts of the world, most notably in North America in the summer of 1974, and made the top 50 of the US album charts that year. And this was the first presentation on a full lp record of the lineup including multi-instrumentalist, songwriter and lead vocalist Helmut Koellen, who joined in the middle of it's recording, and whose talent and musical spirit helped catapult the band to greater heights with this album, and the subsequent release of "Spartacus" in 1975.

Thanks, Doug!  It has been ages since I heard that!  Back at University of Illinois, it was in constant rotation in the dorm!!  Best, Chuck!!  Clap
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2024 at 23:15
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Another cover for the FURRY thread ... which I can't find now!
Don't bother. The Triumvirat covers do feature a rodent but it's not anthro.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2024 at 05:32
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Nothing else they did came close imo. If I have any 'criticism' it's simply that Triumvirat (much like Camel) were not putting anything out that was 'progressive'. ELP, Yes, Tull and King Crimson had laid down the rules already. Even back in 1974 it was a case of 'what's next?'. I'm not sure that prog bands were really answering that question but rather were embedded in a style that was already established. Old school symphonic prog was about 3 years away from virtually disappearing off the map. However it was the bands such as Triumvirat and Socrates plus numerous RIP bands that were putting out the most interesting prog music. Rush took it in a heavier direction but that's another story almost.

So where does IOADD fit into the symph prog genre? According to PA it's the lower reaches of the Top 100 of that sub genre.
That seem a lttle low have to say. There are even Flower Kings albums that rank higher. I do love it's purity of purpose though and as said it doesn't have the overbearing (for many) bombast of ELP. Deserves to be recognised for sure. Rolling Stone put it in their list of best 50 prog albums ever made. That's a stretch for me but shows that it stands out at least.
I feel "Spartacus" does come very close to "Illusions" , and, conceptually speaking, even surpasses it-the story of the Spartacus revolt against Rome is the perfect material for a story and Triumvirat rise to the occasion, though I guess instrumentally "Illusions" can't be beat. I also feel that Triumvirat in general would have made a greater impact not for lack of brilliant material, but that they were not managed properly-they did not have a "move heaven and earth" manager like Led Zeppelin's Peter Grant, and maybe if they did, and were put on some higher profile tours progressively speaking, things would be different. (I even remember Juergen Fritz in an interview calling their early manager "an idiot" lol) Also, in 1976, Juergen Fritz woke up one day and said, "I don't want to tour anymore" -and subsequent ambitious touring was cancelled, which did not help things one single bit, but Mr. Fritz was in charge of that, so....

Edited by presdoug - March 03 2024 at 05:46
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2024 at 05:38
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Thanks, Doug!  It has been ages since I heard that!  Back at University of Illinois, it was in constant rotation in the dorm!!  Best, Chuck!!  Clap
   You are most welcome, Chuck! And you were the first person I ever knew who saw them in concert. Those were the days!Thumbs Up

Edited by presdoug - March 03 2024 at 05:43
 Post Reply Post Reply