Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Concept albums not on PA (including Prog related)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Concept albums not on PA (including Prog related)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Pick a favorite, if you like
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.67%]
2 [13.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.67%]
1 [6.67%]
1 [6.67%]
1 [6.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.67%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.67%]
2 [13.33%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.67%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [13.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 13:20
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

^ Ys is yet another album I love (but haven't listened to in years) that I never really figured out what the unifying concept was supposed to be. And btw: If Joanna Newsom doesn't qualify as Progressive Folk, I don't know what does.

Has she been suggested for prog-folk or crossover? 

The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 13:21

^ Ys is yet another album I love (but haven't listened to in years) that I never really figured out what the unifying concept was supposed to be. And btw: If Joanna Newsom doesn't qualify as Progressive Folk, I don't know what does.

Several times, I think. But I was just speaking for myself and my understanding of a (sub)genre. Too lazy to actually suggest. Especially after a couple of rejections.
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 13:21
Other: U2 - Boy (1980).
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 13:25

Several times, I think. But I was just speaking for myself and my understanding of a (sub)genre. Too lazy to actually suggest. Especially after a couple of rejections.

If she released new music, that's reason enough for a re-evaluation. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 13:28
^^ Boy's a concept album too? I'm quite fond of it actually, but I never thought of it as anything more than a bunch of songs - that compliment each other, by all means.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - April 03 2024 at 13:29
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 13:32

If she released new music, that's reason enough for a re-evaluation. Smile
Not since Divers from 2015.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 19:13
^ Divers has great music. Love the opening track. While she would be eligible methinks since I did not find her being considered since about 2011, I would say her music continues her brand of progressive folk which was not accepted for our Prog Folk category. Due to that and that team is much the same, I would not bother bringing it forward again. The music is just as good in and out of PA, and since we can discuss music not included in PA here, for me it's not that important... With the exception of any team work (PR and PP in my case) and also I like to see acts in to be eligible for the AOTY's. To me she is a kind of Progressive Folk Crossover artist. Like Sufjan Stevens, one could consider Crossover. Good stuff.

By the way, I never got the concept of Ys either, but have read that it is a concept albums. Tons of albums are kind of conceptual (have some vague overlying theme or tone or...) We are pattern seeking animals (thus the conspiracy theorist who adapt and cherry-pick data to fit their facts). If it was a time bending epic where Newsom and Il Balletto di Bronzo's Ys fates become intertwined, that would be ridiculous.

Back to the list: I should play Tom Waits' Rain Dogs again. It's been a long time. I would have quite liked to hear him duet with Don Glen Vliet of Captain Beefheart.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 00:53
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ Divers has great music. Love the opening track. While she would be eligible methinks since I did not find her being considered since about 2011, I would say her music continues her brand of progressive folk which was not accepted for our Prog Folk category. Due to that and that team is much the same, I would not bother bringing it forward again. The music is just as good in and out of PA, and since we can discuss music not included in PA here, for me it's not that important... With the exception of any team work (PR and PP in my case) and also I like to see acts in to be eligible for the AOTY's. To me she is a kind of Progressive Folk Crossover artist. Like Sufjan Stevens, one could consider Crossover. Good stuff.

By the way, I never got the concept of Ys either, but have read that it is a concept albums. Tons of albums are kind of conceptual (have some vague overlying theme or tone or...) We are pattern seeking animals (thus the conspiracy theorist who adapt and cherry-pick data to fit their facts). If it was a time bending epic where Newsom and Il Balletto di Bronzo's Ys fates become intertwined, that would be ridiculous.

Maybe she fits under crossover. Worst case scenario - prog-related. 

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 03:31
I believe 63's Charles Mingus Black Saint & Lady Sinner is a concept album

Also, in 04, one could've placed Green Day's American Idiot

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I don't really know any of these well enough to vote.  I've heard 4 of them, and of those, Alice Cooper's Welcome to My Nightmare would get my vote. 

The first "other" album that I immediately thought of was Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell.

Welcome is a good album, but the concept presented on stage was containing many songs from many albums

as for Meatloaf's BOOH (one of my fave all time album), it's definitely thematic (about 70's male teens fixations/obsessions), but I'm not sure I would qualify it as a "concept album"

Edited by Sean Trane - April 04 2024 at 03:42
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 03:42
Many interesting things on this quite eclectic list, of which my favourties are Coltrane, The Kinks, Gainsbourg, XTC and PJ Harvey. I'll vote for the latter - a great album! (as are the others)

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 04:20
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I believe 63's Charles Mingus Black Saint & Lady Sinner is a concept album
Yes, I adressed that here. I guess I went for the Coltrane because I'm a much bigger fan of A Love Supreme.

With an exception for A Love Supreme. As it is seen as a defining conceptual jazz album. But Time Out!, Sketches of Spain, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady and many more before it, operates within clearly defined concepts as well.
I would have made it clearer if I had left out all instumental albums, instead of including just one:)
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2024 at 09:43
Not sure it’s a proper concept album, but I went with Alice Cooper’s magnificent WTMN😎

My other would be the even more magnificent Prequelle by Ghost, although once again it may not be defined as a proper concept album, depending on your definition…..

Oh, and there’s a whole bunch of brilliant rock opera concept albums by Avantasia, that anyone who likes a multi-vocal power metal album should check out!

Edited by essexboyinwales - April 08 2024 at 09:50
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12