Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underrated fusion guitarist: Kazumi Watanabe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Underrated fusion guitarist: Kazumi Watanabe
    Posted: April 27 2024 at 10:52
Back when I was a jazz-fusion nerd, this guitarist really blew my mind.

His best album, To Chi Ka, is absolutely incredible. Watanabe has a unique style that I've never heard anywhere else. He is just as talented as Al Di Meola or Allan Holdsworth if you ask me.

A must listen.

Edited by Gnik Nosmirc - April 27 2024 at 10:53
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2024 at 11:01
I've liked Kazumi since I first heard The Spice of Life (and TSoL II) in the late '80s.

Here's Kazumi live, with Jeff Berlin and Bill Bruford. A great performance.

Gnik Nosmirc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2024 at 11:11
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I've liked Kazumi since I first heard The Spice of Life (and TSoL II) in the late '80s.

Here's Kazumi live, with Jeff Berlin and Bill Bruford. A great performance.

You were lucky to be alive back then!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2024 at 18:42
I'm not as old as some of the peeps on here.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2024 at 00:02
This is viewer's comment on the Bruford/Berlin/Watanabe YouTube video posted above....

To all Kazumi fans around the world, Kazumi recently fell ill and is currently in critical condition. He is fighting for his life and his situation is very serious. We believe in his recovery. Please send your prayers for him to be able to play the guitar with his magical technique again.

Edited by cstack3 - April 28 2024 at 00:05
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2024 at 10:17
^I did see that. I've not heard anything else, unfortunately.
Gnik Nosmirc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 06:22
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

This is viewer's comment on the Bruford/Berlin/Watanabe YouTube video posted above....

To all Kazumi fans around the world, Kazumi recently fell ill and is currently in critical condition. He is fighting for his life and his situation is very serious. We believe in his recovery. Please send your prayers for him to be able to play the guitar with his magical technique again.

Cry

EDIT: From Wikipedia:

On February 27, 2024, he collapsed at his home in Karuizawa and was transported by ambulance. On March 31 of the same year, as a result of scrutiny, it was reported on the official website that he was diagnosed with cerebral stem hemorrhage with impaired consciousness and that he was in hospitalized, and that he would cancel all artist activities scheduled for this year based on the doctor's diagnosis and concentrate on treatment

Edited by Gnik Nosmirc - April 29 2024 at 06:41
 Post Reply Post Reply