Poll Question: Who do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [41.18%]
10 [58.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battle of the neo prog drummers
    Posted: May 16 2024 at 22:46
I thought it would be interesting to contrast and compare. Both are mainly one band drummers. I'm not aware that Paul Cook did anything outside of IQ while Mosley although doing some session work here and there has been stuck firmly to the Marillion drum stool since Fugazi. Both are rock solid players but they have decent chops. Generally they don't get mentioned in lists of great prog drummers which is a little strange. Perhaps not 'showy' enough but then Neo prog perhaps 'rejected' the technical pyrotechnics of the seventies prog aesthetic to pay more attention to structure and lyrics.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 05:44
Ian Mosley
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 06:31
both equally... I really couldn't choose
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 10:16
Paul Cook Smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 10:26
Cookie and Mos are both fine drummers. Mos was in Darryl Way's Wolf, Trace (Birds, my favorite of theirs), and then played with Hackett, all pre-Marillion. I'll vote Ian but that's in no way a slight on Cook.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 14:43
Ian M for me.......Some of Paul's playing is very memorable but Ian for me does a great job overall.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2024 at 03:51
I really don’t have the knowledge to decide who I think is better, or really who I prefer, but I went with Cookie! Both seem to drum very well though!😊

Edited by essexboyinwales - May 18 2024 at 03:53
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 14:37
I think I like Paul Cook a little bit more. They gave me a coupon for sork.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 10:40
Hmm, neither are top of the bill, but both are good drummers for the bands they evolved with. I'd have a slight preference for Ian Mosley. To make it more interesting you could have included more of those early neo-prog stalwarts, like Colin Fraser, Brian Devoil, for example... Would have complicated things even further, for me.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 11:12
^ Or even Mick Pointer presumably. Mick Pointer: Great drummer or GREATEST drummer? (CLICK) I am now tempted to do a Mick Pointer of Arena vs. Giulio Capiozzo of Area poll. :P The one from Area hardly gets notice that I see too, yet I find him superb (anyway, different kind of band).

Anyway, the drumming never really stood out to me in either of those bands, seemed quite generic (EDIT: meaning IQ and Marillion if not clear). Do you have some choice tracks where their skills and/or personalities/uniqueness shine? If they are not considered that influential, technical, versatile or creative then I would not expect them to get much notice. I find in Prog that the great ones tend to come from the jazz side of things, and Neo-Prog tends to be more straight-forward for rock in a way. Lots of competent drummers, but maybe not so many creative ones as come from, say, Krautrock, JRF, Zeuhl, Canterbury, RIO/Avant Prog....

Edited by Logan - May 20 2024 at 12:43
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 19:10
Paul Cook

Ian Mosley

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 20:29
Ian Mosley's best drumming performance IMHO was on Birds by Trace.

Edited by Hrychu - May 21 2024 at 20:29
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 23:43
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Ian Mosley's best drumming performance IMHO was on Birds by Trace.

Oh, yeah!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 10:43
Thanks to Richard for all thoise examples, and to Marek. I have heard Birds by Trace, very good, listening again and yes, darn good drumming. Listening to those samples, I do realise that both Paul Cook and Ian Mosely are more than just competent drummers -- very good. I've heard a lot of that music before, but I guess it just didn't sink in at the times (and my memory is not nearly as good as it used to be).
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 17:06
IQ were always a bit more interesting as they came from a punkish background while (aside from Fish) Marillion had a more classical prog rock thing going through their music.
Cook's performance on Widow's Peak is one of my favorite drumming performances of all time but Mosley on Incommunicado isn't far behind. Both could give it some 'welly' when it was needed.
 Post Reply Post Reply