Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEnigma and Era.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enigma and Era.....
    Posted: October 26 2004 at 08:40

Whats the boards view's on ENIGMA (Michel Kretu) and ERA (Lee Sclair) ! Are they fit enough to be considered Prog ! Is this the tendency of modern "Art-Music" !

_________

Lunar 

Music Is The Soul Bird That Flies In The Immense Heart Of The Listener . . .
Pixel Pirate View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 09:10
You already know my view on the subject,Lunar,so I won't bore you by repeating myself.
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo.
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 09:55

I don't really know much about either. What are they like?

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Lunarscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 11:05

well go to www.enigma.de there should be some soundfiles there or links to the soundfiles. Michel Kretu has been around for nearly 20 years and started his career with drummer Kurt Kresser. Kretu plays mostly keyboards and does the programming. Its quite popular and when he ventured ENIGMA his 5 albums on a 14 years span with ENIGMA made him a pretty rich guy LOL Virgin Records counts for 45 milion records sold. If you go www.amazon.com and search ENIGMA you'll be able to se more and hear more from him. As I said, some tunes are pretty known and others arent. I personally recomend "Screen Behind The Mirror" and "Cross Of Changes". There are similarities between ENIGMA and Mike Oldfields recent albums (Tres Lunas and Millenium Bell).

Era belongs to Lee Sclair, longtime aroound bass player. Gothic pop metal are the words that pops up here, but very well constructed and with impressive prog passages.

I mention theses projects because they could be a guideline for the future of Prog.

But if you should stumble over Enigmas VOYAGEUR...stay away from that !

________

Lunar

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 15:08

I can see your logic Lunar, but I don't look upon Enigma as prog myself. Their music is far more based in dance/trance/pop. They appear to use tape loops and post-recording effects alot. I suspect they wouldn't be able to perform their music totally live, and that for me is a cornerstone of our genre.

I talk about "they" but in fact of course it was really just Kretu. I believe the second album (and so forth) is actually by "Enigma 2" to signify that it's features completely different performers, other than Kretu. 

I enjoy their music greatly though, I thought their "La Roi est Mort" album was superb.

Never heard Era.Embarrassed

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 21:48

Please guys, Enigma is just plain POP/Dance mixed with some pseudo Gregorian Chant (Pseudo because Gregorian Chant doesn't use music) recorded tro exploit the fame gained by a group of Spanish monks who recorded a hit album

Enigma was played in every disco in the world for the purpose it was created, to dance, not bad but miles away from Prog'.

I haven't heard ERA so I can't give my opinion.

Iván

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2004 at 03:30
And have you heard all the Enigma albums Ivan,or just a couple of singles? The albums have a very clever and creative conceptual feel to them that make it quite clear that Cretu is an intelligent and talented guy. The use of the choir sample on "Prism Of Life" for example or "O Fortuna" and Bach's Toccata on "The Screen Behind The Mirror" and a bunch of other examples that escape my mind at the moment prove that Enigma was not only created to get people to shake their booties,but also has quite a strong spiritual content which is the reason I'm an Enigma fan.
Lunarscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2004 at 06:34

The reason I mention Enigma is exactly this; Talent. Ok Kretus music is on the edge of pop-techno, and still if you listen to Cross Of Changes (second album) you'll find great prog passages here, Jens Gad is indeed a great guitar player.

And Ivan, Enigma is 100 times more interesting than Radiohead !

______

Lunar 

Edited by Lunarscape
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2004 at 06:49
The guitar solo on "I Love You...I'll Kill You" is the wildest I have ever heard. It wouldn't have been out of place on a metal album.
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2004 at 07:28
Originally posted by Lunarscape Lunarscape wrote:

well go to www.enigma.de there should be some soundfiles there or links to the soundfiles. Michel Kretu has been around for nearly 20 years and started his career with drummer Kurt Kresser. Kretu plays mostly keyboards and does the programming. Its quite popular and when he ventured ENIGMA his 5 albums on a 14 years span with ENIGMA made him a pretty rich guy LOL Virgin Records counts for 45 milion records sold. If you go www.amazon.com and search ENIGMA you'll be able to se more and hear more from him. As I said, some tunes are pretty known and others arent. I personally recomend "Screen Behind The Mirror" and "Cross Of Changes". There are similarities between ENIGMA and Mike Oldfields recent albums (Tres Lunas and Millenium Bell).

Era belongs to Lee Sclair, longtime aroound bass player. Gothic pop metal are the words that pops up here, but very well constructed and with impressive prog passages.

I mention theses projects because they could be a guideline for the future of Prog.

But if you should stumble over Enigmas VOYAGEUR...stay away from that !

________

Lunar

Thanks for the info Lunar.

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2004 at 14:42

Ivan,

I think you're being a little harsh there. Enigma's music rose above the mediocrity of pop/dance, and was actually quite imaginitive. While the way the music was created is indeed very un-prog like, I don't believe the results are quite as far away as you imply. 

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2004 at 01:18

Probably I'm a bit harsh, that's true Easy Living, but for me Dance music is just that no matter the costume they use.

Maybe their debut album was so over played that it really made me hate it, remember in those years I was in my 20's and used to go to discos (to find girls  because I'm not exactly a good dancer ) and Enigma was played 5 or 6 times each night, so I started to hate them.

Hey Lunar, in this case I stay with Radiohead, honestly.

Pixel Pirate, I heard each and every one, my sister bought all the albums and left her cassetes in my car always, on those days I had a girlfriend who loved Enigma, so I had to play them for her.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 22:31

I like Era: it is like a pop + beat version of Vangelis' Mask. Enigma is more underground. There is another band a bit similar named Aria. They are rather interesting, but never prog music!

Post Reply Post Reply