0 [0.00%]
2 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2005 at 13:31

titus groan is worthy of this site - their LP on dawn is a real delight. course i don't own a Dawn copy just a See For Miles re-issue - but at least it has added tracks

btw...titus groan is the first book of Peake's trilogy - not the second -

Titus Groan - Gormenghast - Titus Alone - he also wrote childrens books (Captain Slaughterboard Drops Anchor) and books about pencil drawing and the unique properties of expression with softened lead - hmmm strange guy Peake. I once had a poem published based on him.

Peake' art is as bizzare as his incredible stories - he lived on the artists colony island of 'sark' which informed a lot of his work - both literary and visual.

other than titus groan - a few prog bands have taken Peake's work as inspiration - one that comes to mind is Fruup who did a track called Gormneghast. I fully reccomend Peake's work - its very English, but its so timeless also - deals with the notion of ritual, monarchy and 'royal' madness.

other than that I only have LP's by Cressida and Spring - but the english early 70s prog scene is littered with these bands who just never had the luck or durability of the major players. Nevertheless, there is some startlingly great work to discover amongst these.

Edited by mandrake
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12