Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed'Unexpect'?... more like 'Unnecessary'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Unexpect'?... more like 'Unnecessary'
    Posted: April 14 2008 at 13:53
...oh ya....i went there

so, Unexpect

please tell me how they'er ranked 79 on the top 100 prog albums of all time list??!

a friend suggested them to me a while back, so i got they'er album 'in a flesh aquarium', and i gotta tell ya i could barley make it past track 3 for a number of reasons:

they are pretty much a carbon copy of Sleepytime gorilla museum (whom which i love) in terms of line up and overall avant guarde sound (bar the keyboards and more piano in unexpect)

the huge difference between Un. and SGM is that SGM know when enough is enough. Unexcept is track after track a brutal force of pure noise on the ears, these guys just dont seem to understand the notion of playing at different varied speeds and paces, and i know this is what they probably do on purpose, sort of they'er 'style' but its just not all that nice on the ears

i tried to re-listen to the album today, and after 7 tracks i failed to find one short nice slow paced piece that was tastefull, after that i couldnt go on and just turned it off,

they seem to complicate theyer music to a point where it just sounds bad, and layer other stuff over it it till its just noise

i fail to see the possitives of this band, and why loads of people like them...and how the hell its at 79!?!?!

so fans of these peeps, please, educate me as to why this musicis appealing to you...cos at the moment all i can see is the 'fast technical' side that might appeal to people, but theres no soul to that, its just mindless noise with no emotion and random shout'e voices everynow and then
join communism
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 13:56
Originally posted by TR!P TR!P wrote:

but its just not all that nice on the ears

And that would be a good thing?

I guess there is room for improvement in their music, though. I think they should compose their new album in the same vein as before and then improvise to it.

On a more serious note: are you saying they never let up? I'm listening to them right now and they let up often enough. Not that they ever really stomp on the gas pedal, IMO, hence my earlier remark.

But don't you think that could actually be the reason some people like them? Album that simply refuse to give you room to breathe are rare and cherished by some as a special delicacy.

And the whole thing has a vaguely power metal/symphonic black metal vibe to it, with a weird catchiness. So there you go, that's why people seem to like them, I guess. Personally they sound ok to me, but not great.

Edited by Visitor13 - April 14 2008 at 14:20
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 15:06
Oh yes, they're definitely a carbon copy of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. I can hardly tell them apart anymore these days because they're sooooo similar.

Anyway, my view about music is "If you don't like it, move on". If you absolutely can't stand it, then why dwell on it and have people waste their time trying (in vain) to sway your opinion?
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 15:49
^because sometimes something is worth spending time getting to know.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 16:18
Well, no, you have a point - why would such an extreme band have such consistently high ratings ON A PROG SITE? Are all the catholic progheads just ignoring new music and/or holding back on negative reviews? ;P
TR!P View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 16:22
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

Oh yes, they're definitely a carbon copy of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. I can hardly tell them apart anymore these days because they're sooooo similar.

ah come on man, im not saying they're like the pagan's mind to dream theater, but look at the line up and somewhat similar aproach to music, more then one guitarist, alternating male and female vocals, multiple male vocals, prolific violin, avant-garde prog style,

on paper they seem the same band, but yea, in sound not so much

and its not that i want anyone to sway me to liking them, i truly just wanted visual proof of people actualy liking them, which ill admit i expected but its also just out'a curriosity, and to see why ya like em...
join communism
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 16:39
I don't even know how to address your extremely insightful marks. All I can say is listen to Sleepytime and Unexpect again and ask yourself 'What was I thinking when I said Unexpect was a carbon copy of SGM'
TR!P View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 16:47
.....they are

pretty much
a carbon copy

dont go spinning my words around....

>.>

<.<
join communism
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 21:01
I don't even know how to address your extremely insightful marks. All I can say is listen to Sleepytime and Unexpect again and ask yourself 'What was I thinking when I said Unexpect was pretty much a carbon copy of SGM'

Okay now that the focus is away from the little tidbit I screwed up now answer the question. I really hate it when people just completely avoid the question in hand.
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 21:02

'don't go spinning my words around....'

Little grammar error I fixed for you.

Edited by ProgBagel - April 14 2008 at 21:02
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 21:32
No need to snipe guys,my "close thread finger" is getting twitchy.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 21:54
so TRIP, how much imitation is too much?  Rush's first album?  Bands like the Watch, Triumvirat or True Myth that sound remarkably like other bands,  ..is there a way to show major influence without it being an impersonation?

Edited by Atavachron - April 14 2008 at 21:56
fighting sleep View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2008 at 01:25

...oh ya....i went there

so, Unexpect

please tell me how they'er ranked 79 on the top 100 prog albums of all time list??!

a friend suggested them to me a while back, so i got they'er album 'in a flesh aquarium', and i gotta tell ya i could barley make it past track 3 for a number of reasons:

they are pretty much a carbon copy of Sleepytime gorilla museum (whom which i love) in terms of line up and overall avant guarde sound (bar the keyboards and more piano in unexpect) This is the sort of remark that will provoke the sorts of responses you've been getting. So tread carefully when making ridiculous comparisons.

the huge difference between Un. and SGM is that SGM know when enough is enough. Unexcept is track after track a brutal force of pure noise on the ears, these guys just dont seem to understand the notion of playing at different varied speeds and paces, and i know this is what they probably do on purpose, sort of they'er 'style' but its just not all that nice on the ears To the contrary, the songs "Desert Urbania", "The Shiver" and "Psychic Jugglers" are all veritable smorgasbords (that's right. smorgasbords) of constantly changing "speeds and paces"

i tried to re-listen to the album today, and after 7 tracks i failed to find one short nice slow paced piece that was tastefull, after that i couldnt go on and just turned it off, This remark is a bit humorous to me, because after listening extensively to "In a Flesh Aquarium", it becomes apparent to me that slow paced moments are many, yet hidden between extensive musical mind-f**k; and that, also, these instances of slower paced are some of the most tasteful music explorations i've heard within the context of an extreme-metal album, because much of it draws upon a wide range of interesting innfluences; classical, jazz, etc.

they seem to complicate theyer music to a point where it just sounds bad, and layer other stuff over it it till its just noise Firstly, it just sounds bad to people who don't like them, i.e. you. Secondly, I think that dissecting these layers of sound is part of the fun of this wild album. Sometimes one listens to it just to be blown away, other times one listens to it to try and make sense of the intricate complexities.

i fail to see the possitives of this band, and why loads of people like them...and how the hell its at 79!?!?!

so fans of these peeps, please, educate me as to why this musicis appealing to you...cos at the moment all i can see is the 'fast technical' side that might appeal to people, but theres no soul to that, its just mindless noise with no emotion and random shout'e voices everynow and then Besides the aforementioned points, I'd like to add that UnExpect draws from a very wide range of innfluences that they flawlessly incorporate into their own overall sound. In my humble opinion, the song Psychic Jugglers (to pick one shining example) is like what would happen if Beethoven was on acid, imagining what music in the future will sound like.LOL As for the "soul" part, well, i've always thought that it's up to the individual listener to determine what (if any) soul a musical piece contains. For me, "In A Flesh Aquarium" most definitely contains the soul of a maniac (or perhaps many, instrument-wielding maniacs)
TR!P View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2008 at 04:15

my my, i do seem to have gotten myself into quite the pickle

truthfully i didnt mean to create such controversy,

the whole "carbon copy" remark was actually only meant to be aimed at the line up, it was a mistake to compare they're music, it was more a misinterpretation on my part

anyways, we may all put this to rest at the final thought that i dislike, many of you like, end of story
join communism
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2008 at 15:22
Well.... expected thread from someone with "join communism" as the sig....LOL You want us all to like the same music as you do? Man what a stalinist view of music!!

Sorry for that but the amount of evidence and the weight of your arguments really don't help...the fact is, countless "I hate this/ you like it/ tell me why" threads have been started and all come to the same result
TR!P View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2008 at 15:42
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

...the fact is, countless "I hate this/ you like it/ tell me why" threads have been started and all come to the same result

...and that being that the thread starter goes back on their words and trys to make it up to the rest of the members like a little baby?

...oh my Embarrassed
join communism
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2008 at 16:01
Case closed.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
mecca View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2008 at 20:29
Unexpect similar to SGM?

Not at all.

Sebkha-Chott would be closer.
 Post Reply Post Reply