2 [6.25%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 11:55
Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

Originally posted by Dim Dim wrote:

Pnoom, you're just being an ass, stop please.

Dim, you're just confusing me with the rest of STC, stop please. Tongue

But seriously, I found your post ironic and pointed it out.  I knew what you meant (should've used a smiley I guess).  I would expect you (or anyone else) to do the same to me.

The non use of smilys has got me into trouble also...

I would expect people to already be familiar with Pnoom!´s humor by now...Geek
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 12:36
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

...in fact, it's practically a whole new band.

Well, to be completely fair they did lose everyone except for Toby and Mia, so it pretty much is a whole new band.

But anyway, Choirs was an immense departure from motW, Dowsing was an immense departure from Choirs, and BLD is an immense departure from all of those. I see a pattern there, and I love it.

If you look at the line-ups for all three KD albums, its pretty much a new band each time anyway. Besides, BLD just followed part of the path that they were going down to its conclusion. Choirs was extremely heavy in parts (the end of the Manifold Curiosity is some of the heaviest music I've heard), Dowsing.. far less so and BLD even less.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 13:31
hmmm, Kayo Dot for me.
bath is great and lybm is as well but kayo dot is just something else entirely. above and beyond comparison musically, really. such a different sound. i just prefer kayo dot's. its more exciting.
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 15:00
Mmmmm... arguing, alright I will answer these to the best of my abilities.

I always saw the horn sections as a good contrast to the heavier sections, or more lyrical parts. Aura does have some pretty prominent horn parts, but the song does evolve into something more rocking, more metal. For some reason, I dont find the horns nearly as distracting on Immortelle, or Amaranth than in the mid section of BLD, probably because all throughout Dowsing, Toby's clean electric leads are just as highly mixed as the horns, where as in BLD the electric guitar is the least prominent it's ever been.

I can understand why you think that BLD is the natural evolution of the band from Dowsing, Dowsing is less metal, less structured than choirs, BLD has no metal, and is even more avant garde than Dowsing, but there is something missning. I can understand that the band wants to drop the metal completely, but for me, the metal was a huge factor in this bands energy, and experimental edge. Believe me, I'm not trying to be some stupid metal head who wants more metal, thats not the problem, the problem is, with the lack of distortion, they cant have those monumental build ups, or apocalyptic breakdowns that scare the hell out of everyone. Without the edge, I feel that BLD is a plateau, or a flat line of energy if you will, instead of making crazy dynamic music anymore, they're relying on experimentalism, which doesent impress me as much.

I know I should be a lot less sensative to Pnooms little comments, but hey, I take things a little too seriously, and I didnt mean to be too stand-offish, but please dont do that with me, it's just f*ckin annoying. No, pnoom I think you're alot more open minded, and much more fun to talk to than those stuck in the seventies goofballs, I would never mistake you for them.  
Figglesnout View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 19:42
Well said. You justified yourself, even though BLD rocks, haha.

Now we just gotta kill that douchebag on the Ulver shoutbox, what the hell is he?

Also, I just slept all day, and had an INSANE dream that the new kayo Dot album was a compilation of remixed techno-version Spoonion songs, no joke. We all got really pissed, and I specifically remember talking on this forum about it haha.

Shows what I think about in my subconscious, right? I'm a complete f**king geek.
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case
Treasure View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 21:44
This is somewhat off topic but whats up with the random ending of Undine and Underwater Flowers?

I thought it would segue into the next song, but it stopped.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 23:11
Originally posted by Treasure Treasure wrote:

This is somewhat off topic but whats up with the random ending of Undine and Underwater Flowers?

I thought it would segue into the next song, but it stopped.

Dunno, I guess it just doesn't.
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 03:27
Originally posted by The Antique The Antique wrote:

Well said. You justified yourself, even though BLD rocks, haha.

Now we just gotta kill that douchebag on the Ulver shoutbox, what the hell is he?

Also, I just slept all day, and had an INSANE dream that the new kayo Dot album was a compilation of remixed techno-version Spoonion songs, no joke. We all got really pissed, and I specifically remember talking on this forum about it haha.

Shows what I think about in my subconscious, right? I'm a complete f**king geek.

I would like to see that guy get thrown in the pit of Ulvers (ha, cause Ulver means wolf). He makes the guys in STC look semi nice... What!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?ConfusedLOLConfusedLOLEmbarrassedDeadCryBig%20smileLOLWinkTongueSmile

Ugh, You jinxed it, now thats gonna happen, good going Ben.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 03:50

Originally posted by The Antique The Antique wrote:

Well said. You justified yourself, even though BLD rocks, haha. Now we just gotta kill that douchebag on the Ulver shoutbox, what the hell is he? Also, I just slept all day, and had an INSANE dream that the new kayo Dot album was a compilation of remixed techno-version Spoonion songs, no joke. We all got really pissed, and I specifically remember talking on this forum about it haha. Shows what I think about in my subconscious, right? I'm a complete f**king geek.

I would like to see that guy get thrown in the pit of Ulvers (ha, cause Ulver means wolf). He makes the guys in STC look semi nice... What!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?ConfusedLOLConfusedLOLEmbarrassedDeadCryBig%20smileLOLWinkTongueSmile

Ugh, You jinxed it, now thats gonna happen, good going Ben.

While I hope it's not any sort of new album by either Kayo or maudlin, I hope that one day we do get treated to techno-remix Spoonion songs. It'd be wonderfully amusing.

Also, let it be known that anyone with the words "fire" and/or "iron" in their display name will instantly earn my hatred.
Treasure View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 12:57
Dayum Dim

Did you use enough smilies
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 13:46
Ha, I'm just glad you didnt get the joke!

Seriously, how come we havent sicked an admin on this guy, he's making Ulver look bad.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 15:44

Ha, I'm just glad you didnt get the joke!

Seriously, how come we havent sicked an admin on this guy, he's making Ulver look bad.

I DID contact a moderator...I just sent you a last.fm message about it
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2008 at 17:07
I just did too, we got this dude nailed!
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 11:45
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

I seem to be in the minority when I pick maudlin of the Well. I don´t know if I necessarly like them more, but I do know I lsiten to them more, so...

After listening, over and over again, to Blue Lambency... I must say Kayo Dot has stolen the edge, but just by a minor fraction. I´m currently in love with Driver´s compositional skills!!!
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123