Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2009 at 17:10
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski Petrovsk Mizinski wrote:

Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

PT is so overrated I actually lose interest in listening to them, despite enjoying them a lot, just due to how annoying their fans are. 
Aside from that fact though, still Tool by a landslide.

This is true. Fanboys have pretty much ruined PT for me.

Wow - Thats pretty goddamn unimpressive. You care so much about other people liking an artist, you claim it makes you dislike the artist....
Yeah it would be "goddamn unimpressive" if it were purely stemming from the internet, but unfortunately I get PT shoved in my face in real life.Seriously, every party I went to in recent times, there was always this one PT fanboy kid that had to put PT on " GUIZE PUT PUT ON PT" even when no one else is in the mood for it and I'm never in the mood for them at a party. Eventually you'll just end up associating a band with negative things like (having it shoved in your face at a party), so it really does ruin bands for me.

Okay, that sounds alot worse than what I was expecting

I don't know anyone IRL who actually likes PT, so I guess that makes it a little different.
Oh trust me, you don't want to. Seriously, I know a couple and one's a douchebag that won't listen to anything else and the other is (I suspect) personally brainwashed by Steven Wilson.

Don't get me wrong, I am partial to some of PT's music, and I love Gavin Harrison. But I don't get what all the fuss is about.

And Petrovsk, I feel your pain man. Honestly, if there is one thing that will send me on a mad killing spree, it is having some pretty messy party music (i.e. garage, breakcore, dnb, dubstep and the like) interrupted during a session/party by some melvin with his iPod whacking up Anesthetise on the speakers. I'm sure that's probably a heavenly scene for some of you on this site, but personally, I think it completely ruins the mood and sends the buzz right back down to a feeble hum of a killed moment.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2009 at 17:16
^^

I think I might be a Steven Wilson fanboy (Bought 3 albums because he was on them) but it would annoy even me if someone put on PT at a party.
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2009 at 18:28
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

. . . since there is more than one dominant musical force in the band, there isn't the disgusting hero worship like with Steve Wilson.
Although, on the flip side, I can understand some of the fanboyism of PT, Tool has no redeeming features whatsoever, but perhaps that is getting too deep into things. So while Tool fans are probably worse outside of this website, here PT is worse here since nobody will ever stop talking about them.

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

PT is so overrated I actually lose interest in listening to them, despite enjoying them a lot, just due to how annoying their fans are. 

Aside from that fact though, still Tool by a landslide.

these two posts pretty much sum up my feelings. PT to me is good not great, mostly bland. The obsene ammount of attention the band gets is almost offensive. The incident hadnt even been released yet and there were about what 20 -30 5 star reviews? come on. its stuff like that that makes it difficult to enjoy, especially when you didnt enjoy them that much to begin with. (though im trying - listening to the incident right now )

Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG BLITZKRIEG wrote:

Cause Steve Wilson is the greatest music composer for the last 20 years. He does use the similar riffs but he  varies the timing. His vocal melodies are brilliant. Chords structures used are different and quite stunning.
This post makes me feel physically ill.

seriously. Angry
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2009 at 19:04
Haha, I feel priveledged. I'm the guy who knows most about Porcupine Tree than anyone I've met IRL, and I don't even care for PT all that much! In fact, I think the only other person I know who even knows about them is someone I lent a copy of FOABP to.

Telinstryata View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2009 at 19:30
Whew....I broke the 247/247 tie
barney63 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 02:46
Wow, this thread goes on and on.  OK, I came to PT before Tool but my first love is metal.  Inspired by this thread I've gone back and thoroughly re-listened to both bands' main albums. Really, they're so different I don't think they truly bear comparison.  My overall conclusion is (predictably) for PT due to the sheer scope of styles and emotional range (although so far The Incident feels like a very weak PT album, but have only listened half a dozen times). Tool have a really great thick sound, but it is very largely only one sound/dynamic and style.  I still can't tell which album I'm listening to or often if it's even a different track.  This isn't a huge problem as all bands tend to sound like themselves. If you love it, and I do, great, but I'd have to admit if recommending them to a friend there's very little variety and in my view any album will do.  Two fantastic bands.  I'm glad to have their recordings.  Have seen PT a good few times stretching back to Lightbulb Sun era and they are very good live, can't pass judgement on Tool, but looking forward to seeing them some time.  I hope they're LOUD.
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 11:50

This is true. Fanboys have pretty much ruined PT for me.

It's a great word 'fanboy'. You can apply it to anyone you don't agree with and it automatically dismisses their opinion as being invalid.

I think I might try it out.

Here we go.....Fanboys have pretty much ruined Tool for me.

Ha! Ha!...it really is that simple!  I wonder if it could also be used in political debates??
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 19:10
At least the Tool fanboys don't waste their time adding a million votes to their band on a forum that nobody really reads anyways...Tongue

geddyx12112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 19:25
Man I voted for porcupine tree and i like them at all but whos the loser who wasted his time putting a hundred more votes for them on? What a waste of his time, almost makes me want to like Tool more.
Qboyy007 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 01:04
Originally posted by geddyx12112 geddyx12112 wrote:

Man I voted for porcupine tree and i like them at all but whos the loser who wasted his time putting a hundred more votes for them on? What a waste of his time, almost makes me want to like Tool more.

Reminds me of Animal Collective fans......
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 15:51
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

At least the Tool fanboys don't waste their time adding a million votes to their band on a forum that nobody really reads anyways...Tongue

Good point

Actually, I listened to Lateralus again last night and it made me realise just how good Tool really are.

The multiple votes for PT are a bit crass, aren't they?
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 17:34
I was wondering why there were so many votes for this but our old friend multiple votes is back. I went with Tool but PT is more balanced.
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2009 at 22:33
I love PT and I've only  got Lateralus from Tool. But it's very good. I'd like to hear more from them. What Tool should I get next?

I feel a little self-conscious being a PT fan on this site, because there has been such a backlash against them here. Outside of PA, I haven't met many people who know of their music. The fanboys don't strike me as doing anything other than trying to spread the word of their favourite band. 

Robert Fripp of King Crimson has given both bands the thumbs up, for the record! Big smile
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2009 at 22:46
A bit of harmless fanboyism from fans of any band doesn't bother me. It's when people start with the 'my band can beat up your band' arguments that it gets tedious. As prog fans, we should be a little more open minded about music. Trying to get people to like your music won't work if you sl*g off their favourite band.

As it stands, I really love PT's music, and having heard one album by Tool (Lateralus), I think I'm going to like Tool a lot, too. Both are really good bands.

Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
EatThatPhonebook View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 13:17
I'm not voting for his one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456