Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo The Decemberists have people fooled?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2009 at 19:01
God... It was a joke. I still don't know how to work teh interwebz. 
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2009 at 19:09
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

sounds like a good note to close the thread on....  if the OP and others don't think it's prog...  great... but who cares.  Enough think it is prog to have the band listed here. Many think it is great music... prog or not.  It doesn't have to be prog to be great music. 

I'd put Willie Nelson on over Dream Theater 7 days a week....52 weeks a year hahah.  

I'd put on DT over Willie Nelson any day, but I agree with your other sentiments. Whether something is prog or not, who cares? I only care if I think its good music or not.
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2009 at 03:54

Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Fleet Foxes is indeed great and my girlfriend's been very interested in Bon Iver lately, which make me interested. She's going to get it soon I presume, I'll hear it then.

Really now chaps? I'm a Decemberists nutter, that's been documented, but I just could not really get into the Fleet Foxes' first album thar. I seem to recall enjoying...ONE, two maybe, tracks, and the rest was dull, ambient folk. 

That said, some of the other Colin's picks I can understand...although where he picked Transatlanticism, I would have picked Narrow Stairs; I haven't heard Reveille, but I could have picked Milk Man, and I haven't heard Oh, Inverted World, but I could have picked Wincing the Night Away. In their stead perhaps, probably not as best album of the decade. 

"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2009 at 04:10
Massively OT here, but...

^Really? Narrow Stairs over Transatlanticism?
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2009 at 05:40
Originally posted by The Whistler The Whistler wrote:

Fleet Foxes is indeed great and my girlfriend's been very interested in Bon Iver lately, which make me interested. She's going to get it soon I presume, I'll hear it then.

Really now chaps? I'm a Decemberists nutter, that's been documented, but I just could not really get into the Fleet Foxes' first album thar. I seem to recall enjoying...ONE, two maybe, tracks, and the rest was dull, ambient folk. 

To each his own, what else can I say Smile I think they're very lovely songs, my favourite is probably Mykonos from their Sun Giant EP.

More on the topic: Listened to the Crane Wife yesterday after a long time not thinking about the album at all, The Island is a totally stunning piece of work Clap If I made another Top 100 Favourite Songs list some day, at least two Decemberists songs would make it there without doubt, The Island and The Hazards 4.

The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2009 at 05:43

To each his own, what else can I say Smile I think they're very lovely songs, my favourite is probably Mykonos from their Sun Giant EP.

More on the topic: Listened to the Crane Wife yesterday after a long time not thinking about the album at all, The Island is a totally stunning piece of work Clap If I made another Top 100 Favourite Songs list some day, at least two Decemberists songs would make it there without doubt, The Island and The Hazards 4.

Same, but I can't just put Hazards 4 without any of the others, so I'd put all of Side 4 (vinyl anyone?).
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2009 at 16:06
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

Massively OT here, but...

^Really? Narrow Stairs over Transatlanticism?

P-sure! Transatlanticism had "The Sound of Settling" and "Title and Registration," and I kinda recall "This is the New Year" being okay. 

Narrow Stairs has "Bixby Canyon," "You Can Do Better 'n Me," "Grapevine Fires," the luvly "Pity and Fear"/"Ice is Getting Thinner" combo, not to mention the monster "I Will Possess Your Heart."

Trans-Altantic City wasn't bad...just Stairs was better. Plans, though, overrated beyond the singles. 

"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2009 at 16:08

Well, I keep meaning to give the lads another chance. Never quite happens somehow...

And, sure, back on topic...if I were to craft a "best albums of the decade" list, the Decemberists would make at least two appearances on it for sure. 

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2009 at 18:15

Funny, I also ran into The Crane Wife yesterday, after a while of not hearing it.  The Island is a big wonder, Summersong a little one.
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Jake Kobrin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2009 at 01:26

Yeah, that's my favorite FF song as well! The band is a grower, certainly. I listened to their S/T and the SG EP today and I was just wowed. They're really incredibly talented! 

Most of the time the "indie kids" pick really bad bands to become popular but occasionally (rarely is perhaps a better word) they get it right, like with Fleet Foxes, The Decemberists, and Bon Iver.

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 19:07
Just wanted to give Decemberists fans a heads up,they are the musical guests on Conan tonight.

rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 11:03
They are also set to release a new album called The King Is Dead - to be released on January 18, 2011. 

Peter Buck (R.E.M.) will be singing on the album as well.

Check it out... http://www.decemberists.com/
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 11:08
This thread brings back so many memories.Smile
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 11:09
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Just wanted to give Decemberists fans a heads up,they are the musical guests on Conan tonight.

Crom and Mitra! They had better watch themselves!Shocked
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 11:23

Remember when Conan had real prog bands, like King Crimson?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 13:39
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

Remember when Conan had real prog bands, like King Crimson?

Walter, even by your standards, that's one of the dafter posts you've madeConfused
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819