FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed’Train Of Thought’ Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’Train Of Thought’ Reviews
    Posted: May 12 2005 at 09:02

I may be missing somehting here, but why oh why have there been 4 different reviews of Dream Theater's 'Train Of Thought' posted within the last few hours?  Surely this is a little over-exuberant, guys?  I think that DT are one of those bands where pretty well everyone on this site has made up their minds about them one way or another by now. Train of Thought is nearly two years old, and I think that everyone who is likely to go out and buy this album has already done so, which makes the exercise a bit pointless. 

Sure, everyone has the right to write an album review, but I can't help feeling that 'Yet Another' on Close To The Edge, or Lamb Lies Down for instance is a bit futile, because there is hardly anyone on this site who hasn't heard them and made up their own minds.

A while ago, Max created a thread of a list of albums which have to date, been left unreviewed... and believe me, its quite a comprehensive list!  Is it possible that fellow preggers could put their energies into checking these out, and building up the sites catalogue, rather than arguing endlessly about the merits or otherwise of DT?  Or am I totally missing the point?

Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 09:06

God 2 yrs old already..*gulp*...time marches on.

The problem is that I cant review albums I havent heard, and most of the listed oness , I havent

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 09:14

Just to put the above into perspective, there are currently 153 reviews on file of ToT (isn't that the number of Fish Peter had in his net, Maani?), 6 posted in the last 24 hours... who on earth is going to read them?  It's also interesting to see the sheer number of reviewers who have given it either 1 star or 5 stars... they surely do polarise the audience... but hey guys, isn't this overkill?  Isn't there a stage when they cease to be useful?

I shall get off my soapbox now, sit in the corner of a darkened room and put a damp cloth over my head....

Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 09:19
Besides the point, but I do think that you shouldnt be allowed to give a star rating unless you submit a review.
JMCecil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 09:52

I posted because I haven't reviewd many albums on this site yet.  If I see one go by that I have heard then I try and post. 

By the way DT isn't really polarizing.  You have 15->25 year olds giving every metal-prog album 5 stars and you have everyone else actually listening and comparing it to the other 100000 albums they have heard and giving a rational opinon, not just OMGZ DT IS THE GRATEST BAND EVER!!!

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 09:54

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Besides the point, but I do think that you shouldnt be allowed to give a star rating unless you submit a review.

I agree partially, especially for 0, 1 and five star reviews, I think that can clarify a bit more why the album is highly regarded or discarded.

re. number of reviews being too much.

I don't think there can be enough reviews for any album, all information can be valuable, of course a lot of reviews don't add extra information, but at least they give conformation of other reviews. Some bands generate more interest than others (DT, Yes, Genesis, ELP and so forth), that's a clear signal, that these bands are at least worth to listen to.

Not only a review provides information, also the number of reviews/ratings is a measuring tool of a bands importance and likeability

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 10:32
I think there has to come a point though, where the motives of some reviewers have to be questioned; do they do it because they think that the existing 153 are ideologically lacking without their ground breakingly original thesis which will constitute the 154th... or do they do it just to have their 15 minutes of fame on the homepage?  I just can't agree with Tuxon that we can always do with more reviews of an album; if you read the ones already posted, it would take you the best part of a week... I mean, how many times were was the 87th review actually read, who can remember it, and who really cares?
geezer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 10:35
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

I may be missing somehting here, but why oh why have there been 4 different reviews of Dream Theater's 'Train Of Thought' posted within the last few hours? 

This happens almost everytime when someone writes a bad review of a DT album. As you can see, it all started from a 1 star rating review. Then comes a DT fanboy (a guy who gives every DT album 5 stars no matter how crappy they are) who gives 5 stars. After that the endless reviews are inevitable. There is now 5 reviews and probably more coming...
Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 10:39

I think this DT bashing has gone over the top. Like I said in a previous post, I have a love/ hate relationship with this band. I do think TOT is an awefull album and in interviews they always come up with the same old cliche 'it's an album we just had to make blah blah blah'. On reading the said interviews I got the feeling that maybe even the band regret making it. I shall be reading any forthcoming reviews very carefully & if I read one reference of it sounding like TOT I won't be wasting my money!

On the other hand, if references are made to the great albums I know they can make, i'll be the first in line to buy it!

Edited by Progger
Geee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 10:51
It would have been acceptable if all 153 of 154 reviews had something different but of the few I read, it is getting very repetitive. And I think that if reviews are being used to 'answer' another review, it is not the right place to do so.  Such things should be done in a forum.
Cheers
"Just as a bell that has been rung cannot be "unrung", the annoying problem with the Truth is that, once you learn it, you can not "unlearn" it."

FloydWright View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 11:23
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I believe this idea's being kicked around at the moment...not sure what the decision's going to be, of course.
FloydWright View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 11:25
Originally posted by JMCecil JMCecil wrote:

By the way DT isn't really polarizing. You have 15->25 year olds giving every metal-prog album 5 stars and you have everyone else actually listening and comparing it to the other 100000 albums they have heard and giving a rational opinon, not just OMGZ DT IS THE GRATEST BAND EVER!!!

As someone who falls into this age category, I can say that I have not given every prog-metal album 5 stars. True, I do like the genre very much, but I DO try to be levelheaded, even with bands where it's a real effort to make myself be objective (or as close as I can get to it).
Oceanzep View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 18:50
So, were's this huge list of not review albums, I would like to contribute
iF I HAD SOMETHING INTERESTING TO SAY I WOULD SAY IT... I HATE THE BEATLES
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 19:15
I agree with FloydWright, I would give Train of Thought 4 stars instead :)
JMCecil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 19:31

Originally posted by FloydWright FloydWright wrote:

As someone who falls into this age category, I can say that I have not given every prog-metal album 5 stars. True, I do like the genre very much, but I DO try to be levelheaded, even with bands where it's a real effort to make myself be objective (or as close as I can get to it).

If you choose to be rational in the assessments then my statement doesn't apply to you.  But look at it from another perspective.  My all time favorite progressive band is Yes.  I think they have one, possibly two 5 star albums.  I think they between 3 maybe 4 max 4 star albums.  All of those albums were from a specific time frame when they were at their best.

I think Genesis has one maybe two five star albums.  Again this is a band that I LOVE.  I can go down the list of great prog bands and the most five star albums they have is one or two.  Everything else is derived from themselves or too heavily influenced by outside forces to do everthing necessary to make a truly great record(CD these days hehehe dating myself). 

Now, you will find for each of those "historical" bands a cache of die hards who will give almost every album high marks.  But the metal crowd take that concept to a stupid level.  There is a massive difference between "I really really love this album" and A qualified masterpiece.  So, if a boat load of you guys swear by Scenes From a Memory as a five star and then makes the other ratings relative I could even live with that.  But come on, every freakin DT album is not a five star.  Hell, most of them aren't even 4 star in comparison to Scenes (and I think Scenes is a 3 because it is completely a rehash of stuff they did before).   But I digress.

Let me give you a semi-pop example.  For whatever reason one of my favorite all time records is Hermit of Mink Hollow by Todd Rundgren.  I have no idea why other than maybe it was playing at a good time in my life or something like that. I couldn't tell you.  But I can listen to that album over and over and over ................But never in a million years would I give it five stars.  I possibly wouldn't even give it four stars and it is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE RECORDS.  Because it doesn't even approach the musical originality of something like Karn Evil 9 or South Side of the Sky or 20th Century schitzoid or some early Mahavishnu or......the list is long.  Comparing the compositional skills of DT to Yes or or ELP is like comparing John Williams to Mozart.

Edited by JMCecil
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 19:40
Well it depends on the person, some people are more kind than others at rating albums. I can not possibly give a Yes album below a 60 average, I'm sorry but I'm not that mean.
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 19:47

Maybe I'm of the loop, and I may loose a lot of goodwill over this, but.

I rated the first four Marillion albums, and the first five Arena albums five stars, for IMO, they are worth it. And I won't back down on this, they are among the best twentie albums I've ever heard in my life. And i doubt ever in my life to come across something near that.

Of course being a fan clouds your vision a little, but in the end quallity will submerge.

JMCecil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 20:05
Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

I rated the first four Marillion albums, and the first five Arena albums five stars, for IMO, they are worth it. And I won't back down on this, they are among the best twentie albums I've ever heard in my life. And i doubt ever in my life to come across something near that.

Of course being a fan clouds your vision a little, but in the end quallity will submerge.

No loss of goodwill on my part.  The ratings don't make people good or bad.  But, inflated ratings do make the rating system itself of no value.  When you are looking for a new band and you look at the rating list and every single rating is a 5, then you go get it and it sounds like sh*t and its in a genre you like don't you think something is amiss?  Or even worse you are trying to decide which album you might want to try from a specific band and instead of intelligent description of the different albums with a scaled set of ratings you see nothing but 5 stars and "This is the bestest band of all time"  The use of the tool is lost at this point.  I totally ignore the stars now and probably won't rate anymore because it has no value in this structure.

But, just having this huge list of bands is awesome.  I've already discovered Devil Doll and found out that tonedeaf people rate albums on this site.  I know this because people were giving Devin Townsend five stars for his sonic crimes.

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 20:39
Originally posted by JMCecil JMCecil wrote:

Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

No loss of goodwill on my part.  The ratings don't make people good or bad.  But, inflated ratings do make the rating system itself of no value.  When you are looking for a new band and you look at the rating list and every single rating is a 5, then you go get it and it sounds like sh*t and its in a genre you like don't you think something is amiss?  Or even worse you are trying to decide which album you might want to try from a specific band and instead of intelligent description of the different albums with a scaled set of ratings you see nothing but 5 stars and "This is the bestest band of all time"  The use of the tool is lost at this point.  I totally ignore the stars now and probably won't rate anymore because it has no value in this structure.

But, just having this huge list of bands is awesome.  I've already discovered Devil Doll and found out that tonedeaf people rate albums on this site.  I know this because people were giving Devin Townsend five stars for his sonic crimes.

Ignore the vast amout of text before this.

That's the reason i would like to see, a possibility to rate bands on this site, so I can say, YES, MARILLION, PENDRAGON and some other bands are IMO 5 star bands, so when you know my reviews of certain bands, and you agree on those reviews, you can search on further for bands that the reviewer likes. to follow the reviewer instead of a logical genre defined path.

M@X take the possibilities that are there. I always follow certain reviewers, the ones that I have found to be trustworthy (for each person, that wil probably be someone else), have proved themselves over time. There are more ways, than just via the progcollaborators section.

Damn, I can't seem to make a logical sentence, anyway, I think there is a possibility to make the site better, by incorporating a band-review as an extra to the bands biography. Add a rating sytem to it and people can easily follow those people who rated the bands to other bands.

For more information about how i would like it, donate 100€ to a local charity, and ask me to clarify

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 01:54

Firstly, I would like to say sorry for throwing my toys out of the pram at the start of this thread... I was just a bit wound up by all the DT adulation and bashing that was going on...

Secondly, I would just like to say that I would agree with absolutely everything that JMCecil has suggested in this thread... very well put sir! 

I think it is important to keep in perspective the fact that only about 5% of albums should be given either 5 or 0 stars, with the vast majority in the 2-4 star band, 3 stars being the most frequent.  That isn't how it looks though, when you see the reviews go through, 5 star after 5 star (and in the case of DT, swiftly followed on by a 0 star 'review'). 

Maybe members feel that giving a 3 star rating for one of their favourite bands is either too mudane or being disloyal, but when reviewing albums, you have to stay as dispassionate and objective about an album as you can, for the benefit of others.  I think that's where the problem lies.. members tend to only review albums by bands they feel emotionally attached to, whether they need reviewing or not. 

It would be a far better discipline if everyone was to buy something new to us, and review it especially for this site... that way, objectivity would be upheld and your musical tastes would be widened at the same time.  Here endeth the lesson...

Post Reply Post Reply