Topic ClosedAmplifier Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amplifier Recommendations
    Posted: September 29 2009 at 07:57
I got flooded out of my house recently.  One of the casualties was my amp setup.  I had a mono cube that I ran guitar and keyboard and a sampler through.  I was using an old pair of computer speakers to get stereo off my keyboard.  A bit of a rig job, but it worked as I am just a spare time dabbler rather than a full time musician.  So I am in the market for something to replace it and I might just go with something similar to what I had.  But if anyone has any suggestions for something that's economical, I'd love to hear from you.  Multi-purpose units would be ideal.  Compactness is also important as I want something I can put up high above flood level.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 12:31
well, the first thing I look for is that it is loud. Louder than anything else so that if I ever can't hear myself over what or whoever I'm playing with , I can turn the volume up.
second, the gain channel is very important too. The more distorted it sounds the better, 'cause then you shouldn't need a distortion pedal to make it even more noisy. Though you might still have to get one if you can't get the clean channel to distort.

Mostly though, I prefer to think lucidly before I buy something. And I've bought two Roland Micro Cubes. One for me, and one for a buddy who kept asking to buy my Micro Cube. Both used.
The older model usually can be found (if you can find one) for about $60-80 used. The new Roland Micro Cube RX is the replacement and well worth it, though brand new at $180 CAD. I don't find the Cube Street compares to the Micro Cubes.
Both Micro Cubes have a line out & line in . And though they don't mention it, these line-outs can be plugged into another amp, mixing board, PA or computer. If I remember correctly, guitarist Pete Anderson uses it for recordings, but I'd have to check Harmony Central to verify that.
Best of all, both the new & old models can run on batteries, giving you up to 13 hours of playing time. Which would be handy if you're stranded during a flood. LOL

Edited by debrewguy - September 29 2009 at 12:36
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 12:32
Oh, and in comparison, sound wise, Vox & Line 6 models don't match up until you get into the 30 watt range. 
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 12:41
Sounds to me like you need a pair of active studio monitors and a mixer ... or are you looking for a guitar amp?
moe_blunts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 15:50
I, too, was going to recommend the microcube from roland.  Portable, compact and very cost efficient.  I've helped several people acquire musical instruments/amplifiers in the past, and for the new guys, I always make ("persuade") them to get the microcube. Lotta bang for ya buck, mayne!

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 18:00
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

Sounds to me like you need a pair of active studio monitors and a mixer ... or are you looking for a guitar amp?

the studio monitors and the mixer don't sound like they can be described as "compact" ...
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2009 at 01:27
^

http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tmix_mix_1202.htm

1.8kg, smaller than a notebook.Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply