Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2017 at 04:32
Union is a decent but most worst album by Yes i've ever listen
Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 10:39
Tormato was a softball wind-up towards the saccharine Drama. "It tastes awful, Bob!" - The Firesign Theatre

Edited by Rednight - October 16 2016 at 10:40
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 04:11
Tormato Tour USA, September 19th 1978 .... (someone said the album was released on 22th September)

https://youtu.be/65adMNJW1oE

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - October 16 2016 at 04:21
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2016 at 14:45
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

Re "sound," or rather timbre, I think it's an important musical/compositional element, and I also think that Tormato is full of wonderful timbres, including the keyboard timbres.

Thumbs Up Exactly. And full of melodies, wonderful melodies, extraordinary beautiful melodies and moods, feels, singing, musical landscapes. I just canīt get enough of its blue, snowy, icy, deep, wide, cold in places yet so dense and warm sounds. Winter time Yes for me personally. Like here in North. Beautiful as snow and ice. Whiteness. Yes ! Wakeman added alot of whiteness again. Well, he is white, at least (Tongue). Itīs the Tor area, itīs all about Future Times. Itīs sheer madness in a positive way when really rock the hell out of their souls in "Release Release". For the first time in their history they kick major ass hard, on a studio record. If they had "polished" the sound it would have been flat and dull. Actually their attitude is rather punky (grin), in a positive way musically. Tormato Tour in 1978 -79 marks the pinnacle in their career. They should have stopped right there after that powerful tour IMHO. But the dull 80īs was lurking behind the corner already. What a pity.

For me personally "Tormato" is another chapter of poetry after their debut and mighty Oceans. Musically not a single dull moment, not sound/timbrewise either. Never gets old in my system. (CttE has dull moments in the middle section, so does "And You and I" too, it almost gets sad, as a love song. Nevermind). 
And itīs their first true Sci-Fi concept album, after mammoth Oceans (which actually is not Sci-Fi to be exact). In a way their best ever because everything in Yes music history meets and unites right there, short songs and melodies like the first album ten years earlier. The circle is closed. The last great album from that incredibly creative 70īs. That era will never happen again in our lifetime. It was renaissance.

In the craziness of power ..... 
Release all, release all !

Cool

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - October 16 2016 at 03:52
krisscan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 20:07
sorry i screwed wrong topic. I must learn the error  of my ways and ill shall read only the topic here. I dont have a lot of feedback on it.
krisscan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 20:01
i agree that both are Prog rock as defined by the genre. Now 30 plus years later the Fixx definitely were out of sync regardless of the hits of the day. I loved them but today i am struck at good they were. i suppose the nearest act would be Kate Bush who could be perceived to be new wave post punk alternative college rock ergo Prog. I feel that for 20 plus years Radiohead have brought light to the subject. Kinda odd but true as well. From a marketing aspect the Fixx could used the Prog title. I guess the tie that binds is that Rupert Hine produced both The Fixx and Saga plus a whole lotta odd ball sounds then.  
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 17:39
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

I feel the need to say...
I'm not able to understand why sound makes such a difference. It's something you can get used to most of the time anyway, but there's little interest in me towards the sound of a particular instrument. A casio instead of a Hammond, who cares?
If that's the only problem with Tormato...

Timbre, and production as a whole, is a very big part of how enjoyable music can be. See: a large part of the reason why Pink Floyd is still universally respected 40+ years after the fact. The issue that I've found with Tormato is the fact that the production sounds very tinny and flat (not flat as in lower than the pitch played;flat as in lacking depth). It also sounds incredibly muddy. 

So I suppose that the problem isn't so much in Rick Wakeman's "casio" keyboard sounds but how they were chopped together in the studio. The whole production sounds very amateur and dated, like it was recorded in someone's basement on a wax Edison cylinder. If the album were produced to the calibre of Yes' earlier albums, I feel like Wakeman's keyboards would probably sound a lot closer to those used by Moraz on Relayer. So, like others have maintained, Tormato is the unfortunate miscarriage of a marriage between strong ideas and horrible, horrible production.

As stubborn as this may seem, I do really think that sound matters much less than.....: composition, intonation, arrangement, emotion, creativity, musicality and the message of a song (hope I didn't forget any). Obligatory addition: this is very subjective. For me the exact sound of a keyboard part is not that important and I rarely pay a lot of attention to it, there are so many more things which attract my interest much more (pick any of the things I just mentioned). 
Obligatory addition II: I have very little knowledge about audio/sound/music production. Not sure it matters that much but it kinda explains why I prefer paying attention to other detail.

There's no doubt that the importance of production is incredibly subjective. Personally I'm with you, valuing composition, emotion, etc. over studio trickery. Having said that, I really believe that the majority of music listeners do value production quality very highly and I can completely understand why someone would find Tormato unpleasant to listen to from an audiophile's perspective, even if it fits well within the range of tolerable for my ears. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 13:48
Re "sound," or rather timbre, I think it's an important musical/compositional element, and I also think that Tormato is full of wonderful timbres, including the keyboard timbres.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 13:46
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

There's a big difference between albums one may dislike and one's that are bad. Two different idea. The first is a preference, the opinion. The second is a judgement - good? Bad? Back it up. As best as you can.
There's no coherent difference.  They're both preferences, opinions.  Aesthetic judgments a la good, bad, etc. are statements of preference or opinion.
Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey.
Well, or ontological facts contra misconceived claptrap designed to enable people to still have "correct" opinons in the wake of most folks realizing that aesthetic judgments are subjective. ;-)
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 13:39
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

I'm not able to understand why sound makes such a difference. It's something you can get used to most of the time anyway, but there's little interest in me towards the sound of a particular instrument. A casio instead of a Hammond, who cares?

Timbre, and production as a whole, is a very big part of how enjoyable music can be. See: a large part of the reason why Pink Floyd is still universally respected 40+ years after the fact. The issue that I've found with Tormato is the fact that the production sounds very tinny and flat (not flat as in lower than the pitch played;flat as in lacking depth). It also sounds incredibly muddy. 

So I suppose that the problem isn't so much in Rick Wakeman's "casio" keyboard sounds but how they were chopped together in the studio. The whole production sounds very amateur and dated, like it was recorded in someone's basement on a wax Edison cylinder. If the album were produced to the calibre of Yes' earlier albums, I feel like Wakeman's keyboards would probably sound a lot closer to those used by Moraz on Relayer. So, like others have maintained, Tormato is the unfortunate miscarriage of a marriage between strong ideas and horrible, horrible production.

As stubborn as this may seem, I do really think that sound matters much less than.....: composition, intonation, arrangement, emotion, creativity, musicality and the message of a song (hope I didn't forget any). Obligatory addition: this is very subjective. For me the exact sound of a keyboard part is not that important and I rarely pay a lot of attention to it, there are so many more things which attract my interest much more (pick any of the things I just mentioned). 
Obligatory addition II: I have very little knowledge about audio/sound/music production. Not sure it matters that much but it kinda explains why I prefer paying attention to other detail.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 13:26

There's a big difference between albums one may dislike and one's that are bad. Two different idea. The first is a preference, the opinion. The second is a judgement - good? Bad? Back it up. As best as you can.
There's no coherent difference.  They're both preferences, opinions.  Aesthetic judgments a la good, bad, etc. are statements of preference or opinion.
Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 12:48

Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 16:08

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 16:00
This the funny thing about "sound". I always thought it was kind of important in music. YOu can play th emost interesting piece but if it sounds wrong or has bad modulation then it will miss it's mark. This is why guitar players get quite ummmm.... involed with their stomp boxes. 'Specially Fripp.

T Dream used the casio sounds in later life. To me, tres horrible.

As for Tormato I enjoy the album but never worried too much about Wakeman's sounds. I might have to give it another listen for that reason. Actually the only thing on that album that brings out the evil in me is that kid in Circus Of Heaven. So... nauseatingly sentimental. Quick, find me Master Of Reality.

Anyway a compilation of their own moments where Yes turned into Genesis maybe... ( a band of writers rather than collaborators).

Still reeling from the idea of Meddle having no music on there. It's got Echoes. It has a light jazz piece. It has the driving One Of These Days. And the Liverpool supporters. And the Dog of peace.

Probably fortunate they did not complete Household Objects.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 15:36
3 stars sounds about right for that album IMO Jim.  Wakeman's Casio knocked off a star and a half by itself. Thumbs DownLOL

It is a good album, not great IMO, but outside of Tales ..might be the most interesting album they did.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 15:07
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ what do you mean there's no music?! Confused
I don't get it.
I understand people's disappointment with TFC or AMLOR, but not Meddle.

How can you say there is music?, there is  no music!!!!...  To me Pink Floyd is average, I would rate other bands better.

How can you say there isn't? LOL
Echoes and Fearless are two of my favorite PF songs.
Echoes has got such an amazing atmosphere, the band was tight then; also the Pompeii version of the song is great, the whole show blew my mind when I first saw it. I still watch it from time to time.

Edited by Cristi - September 18 2016 at 15:08
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 14:55
Tormato is the definition of a mixed bag.  Smart people can make the case that it is sh*t, while other smart people can make the case its quite good.  I guess that means its at least "interesting." 

For my money, one of our younger reviewers always does a good job of "hearing between the lines" and summing it up.  While he gives the album one more star than I would I still like his review.   
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1171862

DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 14:23
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 14:03
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hahahha Clap

Defend away man.  However my point stands...if Wakeman had ditched the Casio or whatever the f**k he was playing on that album and just played a damn Hammond.. you wouldn't need to defend it. That was the only flaw on what was otherwise a great album.. problem was... it was a mighty big flaw.  It took me a long time to get over it.. to the point where it is not as much irratating.. but endearing.

You bet dude. Iīm proud and say whatever I want and defend my childhood heroes whenever I can. You missed the point (once again): This album never needed any defend, however the musicians in question (Mr. Wakeman in particular) need a little support against those stoopid hostility from ignorant fools apparently (grin). Where were we...

Ha-haa ! Gotchaīya. The album itself has no problems. You (and many other "Yes fans") have, and itīs big one. Itīs called a wrong attitude. And I donīt give a damn, itīs your life not mine.
But you will get over it... as you have grown during the years. Iīm glad you have progressed, well done really appreciate. I got it immediately, as a teenager. Well, one canīt fool a teenager. You see, my true first Yes love was this particular album back in the day (grin). Meanwhile you can show us how you play the keyboard parts better than Mr. Wakeman did. Sure you can manage that  Big smile

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - September 18 2016 at 14:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>