Topic ClosedEmulating Classic Prog Is Not Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212223
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 13:08
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I don't care much about theatrics either, they can be nice when watching a concert but most of the times you enjoy music it will be on record. But a nice story or concept accompanying a song or album helps enhancing the purely musical listening experience, such as in The Lamb or Get'em Out by Friday.

As for the bands accused of being clones, my experience tells me that the more you listen to them the less you see them as clones. Give them a chance and many of them will reveal their own qualities. Take Citizen Cain for example, their album Somewhere But Yesterday sounds on first listen like a blatant Gabriel Genesis clone, but now it's one of my all-time favourite albums, the style and sound may be similar but the compositions and interpretations are great in their own right.

That's very true - unless a band is a blatant tribute they will always be a representation of themselves if they write and record their own music, regardless of how derivative that may appear to be, often it is no more derivative than the last album by the band they are alleged to be clones of... it's like that old joke - the best Rolling Stones tribute act is The Rolling Stones (insert you favourite reformed/still touring 70s rock act here). If Genesis aren't making Genesis albums at the moment but someone is making albums that remind you of that era of rock music then what is the issue?

Back to the theatricals for a moment - promo videos of the past thirty years are far more theatrical than Prog ever was.
What?
dogen View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 16:45
The reason I liked the music in the first place was that it was progressing in comparison to much of what was around. I think this is still what I find attractive. All artists will be influenced by others but the difference is in intent: is the artist trying to progress or simply reiterate the past, stylistically?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212223