Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg on the radio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog on the radio
    Posted: May 22 2012 at 10:51
Hi,

I, finally have the setup worked out to attempt to put things together again, as I had before almost ten years ago with a show called "The Space".

What I did, then, and it was over 120 hours long when it was taken off the air by a local ISP jerk that robbed many people on his way out.

I had no style per se, and thought I would do various artist shows. So we had an hour of Can, an hour of this and that ... and in general you got a really good sample of what the artist was about.

Had some really good responses, and our server never went down and handled the streams really well. I'm not set/sure of how/where things will be handled at this time, although I may have to spring for a business account at Crummycast, unless I can find a location to do this with, that can support either the streams or the connection to my own computers. That all remains to be seen as yet.

This time, I still plan on doing things by one artist ... however, I will also play more of the other things I have this time, since I now have a mixer to put together all the turntable, cassettes and cd's and microphone, that will also have some fun things going ...  I am recording a bunch of fun things ... asking people if they know what progressive music is!

The recording format is still up for debate, but it looks like it will be mp3 at this time, and it will be recorded with Audacity if I do not have access to a good mp3 encoder.  The web pages and information will come off my own webpages that will have a "progressive music" link.

On tap, if it all works out, is to also get the Ygdrasil Poetry issue live, after I get the permission from the various folks involved. There are works in there from Gilly Smith and Anthony Phillips. And if I can get it brought over from Super 8, so will Kevin Ayers piece from the film I made. Also with permission.

I'm figuring that Snow Dog won't listen, but you can bet there will be some ELP in there, and Principal Edwards, and Stackridge for sure ... and Korgis (Stackridge members) ... and ... lots more! Damn it Dean .,.. I can't get that ... dear mrs oreilly ... song off my head!

Edited by moshkito - May 22 2012 at 11:09
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 13:44
^ Yes, I can thoroughly endorse Radio laut.fm as a mighty fine station indeed. It streams via an embedded player (ie. no need to open playlists with your own media player), with artist and song info updated instantly as soon as the tracks change - even the album cover art is displayed. Great variety of shows too. Excellent stuff!! Thumbs Up
Larne View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 10:24
Helley;

if you are interested in simply listening to ancient, modern & future prog, you might check out www.laut.fm/progalley
Yep, it's my own station and sorry for behaving like a stupid salesman Big smile Maybe you like it anyway...

Cheers

Larne

Edited by Larne - March 23 2012 at 10:26
If you're racing in the rapids; there's only one way: That's To Ride!
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2012 at 12:37
What about the 'Prog Radios' tab at the top of the progarchives.com home page? http://www.progarchives.com/ProgRadio.asp - all the best known ones are there, just click on the station images to open the sites, where stream URLs are usually easy to locate. Thumbs Up
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2012 at 22:22
I'm just about ready to begin my Prog Rock show on Moab Community Radio, called Rock Art!

KZMU.org

It will be Sunday nights 9-11 PM Mountain Standard Time starting on January 22, probably til sometime in March. Anyone with a good internet connection and windows media player (or comparable media player) can listen online.

Here's the link to my show page:

http://www.kzmu.org/ShowProfile.cfm?id=123

I'll be spinning a good portion of the 200 or so prog or prog-related albums that I own (plus a few more that the station has in their collection).
Z
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2011 at 13:25
Looks pretty promising that I'll have a weekly 2-hour prog-rock show (from 9-11 PM (Mountain Standard Time) on Sundays), probably starting in January on the local community station in Moab Utah:

KZMU.org

I'm planning on playing nothing but progressive rock, progressive folk, and jazz/rock fusion. So yeah, I know its just a small station in a small rural town (although it is a world-famous tourist destination), but it's also on the web so you can listen to it anywhere worldwide. I'll have more details forthcoming in the near future....
Z
DutchProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 16:26
90% of the programming prog music here .........

For the best Progressive, Old and Symphonic Rock
Mitja View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2011 at 12:51
http://www.progrockradio.com/ great site plays real prog bands 
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2011 at 03:34
As for web radio, I get my prog fix from a lot of Live365.com radio stations. UK70's, Chip Midnight's and Prog Rock Radio are all highly recommended. 
Bigger on the inside.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2011 at 03:33

Ah, Portugal... So many flaws - but where else can you find a weekly hour-long show dedicated to progressive rock old and new broadcasted in national, state-owned radio? Heart

Have a look:
Bigger on the inside.
gagliarchives View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2011 at 00:23
In south jersey? Well there is our program for the last 20 years called the gagliarchives if you are looking for prog. We are in south jersey/Philly on 3 frequencies. 
Steve F. will probably point you to us as well :)

tg
The Gagliarchives...The Only Place To Be Saturday Nights
ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2011 at 17:31
I just found this thread.... There is no better online radio station than Delicious Agony Prog Rock Radio (I am not saying this just because I am the host of a show there ) @ http://deliciousagony.com/

Edited by ProgressiveAttic - November 17 2011 at 17:32
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

2ndsout View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2011 at 18:58
Hello... I was reading through this thread... 

I do host an online Prog Rock radio show- currently in it's 3rd year of being on the radio.

Take a listen to my show.  

It is called-  The Aisle of Plenty

currently airs 

Live on Saturdays 6AM-8AM Eastern 
88.9 FM / 89.1 FM 
classxradio.com

Encore Broadcasts 4PM-6PM Eastern
deliciousagony.com

Also-- I just started up the official blog for the show as well, putting 3 years worth of show material on the blog.

Theaisleofplenty.blogspot.com  

Hope you can all tune in... and yes I play the full gambit of Prog Rock.  40 years worth- everything from KC to Yes to Genesis, Marillion, Camel, Frank Zappa....

Take a listen.  Next show will be show #123 on 11/19/2011.

Bryan B.
Host, "The Aisle of Plenty"
Saturdays 6AM-8AM Eastern
88.9 FM Class X Radio
www.classxradio.com
Cincinnati, Ohio

Encore Broadcasts
Fridays 4PM-6PM Eastern
deliciousagony.com
The-time-is-now View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 02:53
In Belgium we've got Classic21. They had a special section for prog a few years ago ! THat was called "Brain Rock" :-) :-) Unhappily it's over.

Famous bands are quite often programmed, like Pink Floyd or Genesis (even PG-era), but it's rare to hear classic Yes, KC, ELP, Camel... Sad. Very sad.

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D
OT Räihälä View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 02:19
I have a weekly programme on the Finnish Radio Channel 1 about prog. Unfortunately, due to contracts with the copyright societies, it can only be listened to in Finland. When I started the series in January 2010, the audience's reception was like "we have found an oasis"; prog isn't otherwise played here on the radio at all. My concept is also very journalistic: I tell about the music, its makers and about the culture and art historical situation behind the music, and then play it.

So far I have introduced over 200 different works by ca. 150 performers from dozens of countries.
EchidnasArf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 00:00
In Austin, we're lucky to have a really broad range of radio stations, the best of which are KUT 90.5 and KVRX 91.7 FM. Makes sense that both great stations are broadcast from the University of Texas at Austin. I'll get lucky and hear some prog rock or jazz fusion on KUT every now and then, but KVRX doesn't have any station regulations, so they will and do play whatever they want. This doesn't mean it's a prog radio station but there are 2 or 3 weekly programs that regularly play prog, fusion, avant-garde, noise, krautrock and the like. You could call in and request a 15-minute track of straight noise from some obscure group, and they will gladly play it.

On KVRX, I've heard songs from Hawkwind, Faust, Egg, Zach Hill, Venetian Snares, Atomic Rooster, Syd Barrett, and that's just off the top of my head. You gotta love a station with the slogan "None of the hits, all of the time". Instead of a "Top 40", they have a "Topless 39".LOL Plus, one of the sound engineers from KVRX attended one of my band's shows, and he came up to us afterwards and asked us to play on his program "Local Live". If you want to hear some songs from the show, the link is in my signature. KVRX also streams live online if you want to listen at kvrx.org.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2011 at 23:11
In Rome (Italy) there's "Radio Rock" which sometimes plays good stuff. Yesterday I have listened to a sequence of KC , Deep Purple, Kaipa and Rick Wakeman. Unfortunately they also play commercial, specially on Saturdays. 

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Jake Kobrin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2011 at 22:59
If you have a radio station that plays prog and they stream online, please post the link! I never hear prog on the radio. Cry
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2011 at 22:43
Originally posted by Crumbler Crumbler wrote:

In my area you never hear non- commercial prog on the radio.  There is plenty of Floyd, Tull, Yes, etc on the classic rock station, but no PG-era Genesis, KC, etc.

Just curious, are there stations that play that music?  I was thinking of emailing the college station near me and requesting that they have a weekly "prog night"  - say, 2-3 hours on a Saturday or  Sunday evening devoted to the genre.  Maybe there just isn't enough of a pull for that kind of show...Unhappy
It is highly doubtful there would be this type of radio programming in south Jersey for prog. There used to be serious minded progressive rock night on WXPN in Philadelphia. Now it's the 'World Cafe" rubbish. Sometimes in south Jersey you have geeks running the college stations. They will play a track from Univers Zero, Van Der Graff, etc.....then play something from the Sex Pistols or Simple Minds. They must have a simple mind to mix serious underground prog with music like that. But....you live in Maryland! Steve F. runs Wayside Music in Silver Springs, Maryland and he might know more about a serious station for tuning into. I believe there is a prog scene in Maryland , yet I have never looked into it. Cunieform artists are touring either now or soon. I would check into that.
CryoftheCarrots View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2011 at 22:34
Last week I heard a Dream Theater track and this morning a Steven Wilson track. Shocked
Both just before 7am on a local community radio station. Thats the best I can hope for.Better than nothing.
"There is a lot in this world to be tense and intense about"

MJK
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>