Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedName it!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Name it!
    Posted: May 31 2012 at 13:58
Hi,

As you know I'm getting ready to put together my own show again ...

The last one was called ... simply "The Space" ... and it was mostly dedicated to long journeys into the mind and music of many people ... and I will probably still do that, but will also do some different things.

I'm already working on the first show, and I promise you all a 2 hour bombastic experience that is going to have a lot of people rather pissed off at me ... but all I will tell you, that if your reaction is not the same as "Apocalypse Now", or "Brazil", or "Blade Runner", that a lot of what will be taking palce and happening in that time span, is not going to be something that you like, appreciate, or want to deal with it.

So ... beware ... and my only compliment will be to one person and his work, because in the end ... he was progressive ... when everyone else was sucking lollipops and enjoying their top ten songs!

So far ... one of my choices is ... "What is does it all mean? Progressive?"

Only originality need apply ... not interested in fandom ideas like "progzillah".

Thanks
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 14:21
Spaced Out
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 05:02
What language is that?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 05:47
The Voyage
Inner Space

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 10:32
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

As you know I'm getting ready to put together my own show again ...

The last one was called ... simply "The Space" ... and it was mostly dedicated to long journeys into the mind and music of many people ... and I will probably still do that, but will also do some different things.

I'm already working on the first show, and I promise you all a 2 hour bombastic experience that is going to have a lot of people rather pissed off at me ... but all I will tell you, that if your reaction is not the same as "Apocalypse Now", or "Brazil", or "Blade Runner", that a lot of what will be taking palce and happening in that time span, is not going to be something that you like, appreciate, or want to deal with it.

So ... beware ... and my only compliment will be to one person and his work, because in the end ... he was progressive ... when everyone else was sucking lollipops and enjoying their top ten songs!

So far ... one of my choices is ... "What is does it all mean? Progressive?"

Only originality need apply ... not interested in fandom ideas like "progzillah".

Thanks

Some of us did not know you were putting your own show together. Can you advise what form this will take i.e. radio broadcast, blog, podcast etc? Despite your routinely glib protestations to the contrary, many of us will be more than willing to listen Mosh.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 11:51
Earwig Go! Approve

Moshkito Bites!

Whoops Aposiopesis...

A Moment On Ellipsis... A Lifetime On the Hips... is.

International Space-Pirate Hour (Pronounced "Arrrrh")

Portland, London, Paris, Munich Everybody Talk About Prog Musik

Broad Thoughts From Home

Looking Forward To Looking Back

Tripping Them Gently

No One Here Will Appreciate...

Earwig Go Again!

What?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 12:44
I'm also interested in knowing which form it will take, if it's radio I hope it will be internet radio otherwise not gonna pick it up from Belgium.

From your own posts I would suggest:

"Progressive, on this board, is about the Art!"
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2012 at 15:41
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Some of us did not know you were putting your own show together. Can you advise what form this will take i.e. radio broadcast, blog, podcast etc? Despite your routinely glib protestations to the contrary, many of us will be more than willing to listen Mosh.

This will be my 3rd time at this ... the last one got taken down by a guy that stole equipment and thought I was stealing his precious bandwidth ... but it lasted 2 full years, and we were running it out of an Unix Server here in Vancouver at Pacifier (then!) ... we had a license for 25 feeds, and it only full blasted once, and had a nice message, of ... "we're so sorry that we were not progressive enough to afford any more streams ... can you kindly check a bit later?" ... but I did have a word about that on the web site.

We never had any issues and it ran great and never went down, but then I cheated ... my roomie was the Admin at that place at the time and it was one of the servers that he worked on when he needed it, although it was a machine of mine with a very nice hard drive, memory and OpenBsd.

Radio-radio .,.. that is, the live air thing, is gone and is past history and is almost all of it controlled by big companies and the FCC and the republicans that do not like you to do something different that takes away from their money and investments!

For me ... it is -- somewhat -- an extension of what Guy Guden used to do that he stopped doing, but not all shows will be "mind melts" as I used to call them then ... and sorry ... copies are not possible at this time, or probably ever, but if you ever make it to my place, make sure you give yourself at least 12 hours to go insane ... and say ... you know ... that's really cool -- and you never heard anything like it, or every will again! Unless I get smart enough to be able to do this ... I do not want to copy Guy, but there was a lot on there that got totally wasted in those days ... least of all him and all of us listeners!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 07:19
Sounds pretty interesting Pedro. 

I for one would really dig such a show! I think a lot of the stuff you play will be right up my alley.

As for a name: 

Ear Transplants for the wicker

Music from the outskirts

Ear-sauce
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 07:27
Sounds like something to do...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 13:56
Hi,

In the early days, when I room'd with Guy (was his roomate for the first 4 years of the show until 1978 fall, when I couldn't afford all the driving to UCSB and back to town), he had some rather far out and interesting shows, a couple of which went almost the whole 4 hours non-stop with a myriad of things, from tv, radio history, sound effects, music, things going backwards, things going forwards and then some, and almost non-stop. And there was a portion in one of these shows that kinda gave a nice listen to a Pink Floyd theme or two that repeat in many places and albums. It was rather interesting and far out.

On one of those shows, it was a revolution theme, and if you have never tied up the play Marat/Sade to a myriad of rock music ... you have no idea ... and he blasts it off the scales. From Beatles, to Bonzos, and others, but sadly the folks in here, do not get/understand why a collage like that was so important ... it was, just another Revolution #9 ... and updated ... but no one does that on radio, and fewer still, have any conceptual ability to even consider doing something like that ... and I know  I can't ... and am not trying to copy, though I will probably use parts of Marat/Sade as well, as other movies and works. It was like listening to Faust 40 years ago ... and realizing ... this is fun ... and you just enjoy the fun with it! Guy's show, at that time, was that crazy. Later, he became more segment oriented and he did more music and all his comedy and sound effects things kinda dwindled down to his clever writing and voices, which he had many and then some ... Peter Sellers and Mel Blanc were the only two others I could ever say could do more voices/characters than Guy did ... and his comedy stuff on the radio was ... precious more often than not.

In the end, I've always said that Revolution #9 is the greatest symbol of how we mis-represent rock music and how we always expect that song to be bigger and better than us ... and here is something that is way bigger than all of us, right next to us ... but a song is more important to our imaginations -- and our fantasies! So, we're all fans, and this is all that we care about? I specially like (and want to use!) the one about Syd Barrett's lines ... "people have stood ... and cheered ... something they did not understand!" ... and the folks that like Syd Barrett here can not deal with his sordid humor and his point, that he was making, and Roger is doing the same thing with The Wall!

Can I do it right? ... I don't know ... I'm still gathering things ... but the whole first series of shows will not be called "progressive" because of the music and what is played and my wanting to show off why some music is progressive and the rest is not.

It will be ... strictly ... an experience!

Mine is designed to be a trip ... and a return to the forever land of the mind, not just mine. And Snow Dog ... you turkey ... one of your ideas is still the best descriptive of them all. Dean's btw, I'm preparing a comedy routine around it!  They will all be various dishes served by a Chef!

Hehehe!

I am looking to find something that is similar to the very things that excited me to listen to radio, and find all this wonderful stuff ... and if there is an audience fine, and if not, you will keep on hearing a crazy doing his thing ... but it will NEVER, EVER, be the same as anyone else, or anywhere near it ... I still get excited when hearing Beaubourg ... I get excited listening to Faust in those first albums ... I love the freedom of the crazy stuff in GuruGuru's first two albums ... and I love tripping in the middle of Echos, or ATM ... when the effects and the guitar wails forever ... and your body does a swan dive in space ... you want to fly ...

Edited by moshkito - June 05 2012 at 14:39
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 15:17
Hi,

Well, I have already done one thing ... bad things actually!

There was this song ... by one band ... Dean knows them REALLY WELL .... and they have this piece ... and so I went out with a microphone in hand and talked this old lady into saying something ... after a couple of questions ... and you know .. I found a gold nugget!

More later after you hear it! Hopefully this will work out really good and sound better! I need to clean it up first.
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply