Print Page | Close Window

Yes Relayer Steven Wilson Remix

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100195
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 11:28
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Yes Relayer Steven Wilson Remix
Posted By: Cinema
Subject: Yes Relayer Steven Wilson Remix
Date Posted: November 03 2014 at 17:52
Has anyone heard the new Steven Wilson remix of Yes' Relayer? I received mine today and have listened to it a couple of times. Perhaps it's just me, but it sounds dull and muddy. Also, every once in awhile I hear small pops (like we used to hear on vinyl albums). Anyone else received their copy of the Relayer remix, and if so, can you please share your thoughts on the sound quality.

I usually love SW remix works (the work he did with some of the legendary King Crimson albums is fantastic), so I don't know if I received a defective package or if this is the way SW intended it to sound like.

Replies:
Posted By: tuxon
Date Posted: November 03 2014 at 19:35
I totally hate Steven Wilson, it's like he wants to be part of a movement he wasn't in, in the first place, he's to late, create your own or flow with it, but don't try and get into it and screw the origin to fit the current.

anyway, I don't have the remix and wouldn't buy it if it was for free, the original on vinyl rules, and the CD version is allright (some issues with dynamics though)

anyway, no I haven't heard his remix,   Should I?

-------------
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT

Posted By: CryoftheCarrots
Date Posted: November 03 2014 at 22:21
Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

I totally hate Steven Wilson, it's like he wants to be part of a movement he wasn't in, in the first place, he's to late, create your own or flow with it, but don't try and get into it and screw the origin to fit the current.

anyway, I don't have the remix and wouldn't buy it if it was for free, the original on vinyl rules, and the CD version is allright (some issues with dynamics though)

anyway, no I haven't heard his remix,   Should I?
  You do know he is asked to do the 5.1 remixes by all the original artists not the other way round.
King Crimson,Yes,Caravan,Hawkwind,Jethro Tull,XTC etc.
Either you get 5.1 or you dont. I personally am a fan and set up my audio equipment to enjoy that format when I can.
Back to the op - have you heard the surround mix ? If so whajathink?

-------------
"There is a lot in this world to be tense and intense about"

MJK

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: November 04 2014 at 01:16
I had the MP3 ages ago thanks to Amazon and listened to the alternative version ( ie demo) whihc sounded good. On that basis I'm quite optimistic about the CD version which I also received yesterday but have yet to listen to it. Once I have I will comment.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: November 04 2014 at 01:24
I'm a big fan of Steve Wilson's remix works of ancient prog albums, and as Relayer is my favourite Yes' album as well, this is really great news for me.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: November 04 2014 at 01:33
Moved to featured albums.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: November 04 2014 at 17:55
I haven't heard the 5.1 ... just the album remix on the CD. However, I found some folks on Progressiveears.org who say the 5.1 also sounds muddy. Maybe it's just because we've (or at least me) become so used to hearing versions of Relayer over the years that have been overly 'brightened' and 'bassed."

By the way, there are many nuances in the music that really come alive under SW's remix ... I never heard them on the original vinyl or any version since. The battle section in Gates, or example, has a lot of little treats; Steve's guitar work on Sound Chaser, and again on To Be Over, and more. It's fun hearing all these little treats for the first time.

Date Posted: November 05 2014 at 01:19
Yep I had a listen and although I had to crank the volume up a bit it sounds good. None of these recent reissues are amazing but generally you do get an improvement. There were always problems with the heavily compressed nature of the original CD issue and Wilson has tried to alleviate this a bit without losing dynamics. I would give him a 7/10 for his effort.

Posted By: PrognosticMind
Date Posted: November 05 2014 at 04:20
I have not heard this yet, but I'm definitely keen to!

-------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 05 2014 at 08:43
I played my original cd copy of Relayer the other day and while I really like Gates... , Sound Chaser and To Be Over just don't do that much for me. I can't imagine that a remix will change my mind on those two tracks.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: November 05 2014 at 09:45
The Relayer album has always sounded a bit to busy for my taste - too many sounds vying for lead but nothing stands out.  For this reason, I've never really gotten into it.  Still, it's the last solid Yes album IMO.  Everything after leaves me cold.

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: November 05 2014 at 14:50
I couldn't give diddly for a new remix of Relayer.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: November 05 2014 at 17:30
The regular CD version will probably not be all that as compared to the older reissue version....If he remixed the original tapes to say 24bit digital master then the regular CD will get dumber down to 16bit or redbook. I have to think based on all his other remix/remaster works that the DVD-A/5.1 sounds better, if your system can play that.

For me its why I go for the vinyl versions as those are done from the full digital remix/remaster files......I have not heard thou that a vinyl version has been issued....My original version on vinyl is well enough.

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: November 06 2014 at 05:44
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I couldn't give diddly for a new remix of Relayer.

Thanks for that. Confused

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: November 06 2014 at 09:14
I mean, I've already read somewhere that the second-to-the-last remaster is the best. And as many times that I've read here that its original recording is crappy, I still like it intensely (and find it very intense in parts) to not yearn for anything more. Any new remaster just seems to be another money-grab, and I've grown weary of that run-around.

Date Posted: November 06 2014 at 15:55
Stupid question for you folks: While it's easy-peasy to rip the music from a CD, is there a way to rip the music from a DVD? iTunes won't do it; anyone know a utility that will do in on the Mac? 

In order to retain the pristine condition of my CDs, I rip them all into uncompressed AIFF files. I can then easily listen to the digital files on stereo and various digital devices.

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: November 06 2014 at 16:07
http://www.dvdae.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.dvdae.com/

First hit on Google

Date Posted: November 06 2014 at 16:28
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I mean, I've already read somewhere that the second-to-the-last remaster is the best. And as many times that I've read here that its original recording is crappy, I still like it intensely (and find it very intense in parts) to not yearn for anything more. Any new remaster just seems to be another money-grab, and I've grown weary of that run-around.

Steven did not just do a simple remaster...This is a remix of the original analog tapes. A remix is a much more involved process than a simple remaster. He actually takes each channel/track and makes adjustments to correct volume issues, pushing instruments and sounds back or forward depending on what the artist wants. That is why what he does has the approval of the artist, he works in conjunction with them. Take what he has done with King Crimson, those remix versions are brilliant and are corrected for much better sound and mix.

From these tapes he will probably create high resolution digital master files in a 24bit resolution and from there come the DVD-A/5.1 discs as well as vinyl. The regular CD will be truncated down to redbook standard of 44/16bit......I agree most remasters are money-grabs, a full remix is worth the price of admission when SW is at the helm, he knows what he is doing.

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: November 06 2014 at 18:59
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

..... I agree most remasters are money-grabs, a full remix is worth the price of admission when SW is at the helm, he knows what he is doing.

In general I agree. However, when I heard KC's first, I have to admit that there was nothing in it that helped me feel any different than when it came out and I first heard it.

To me, it is not the orchestra and how different a "director" it has, but how the music comes out. I did not feel, that there was anything different in the emotional involvement of the work itself and that merely changing the volumes and instrument placement on the left ear or right ear, made that much of a difference for me, or would for you.

The problem is, that we think the LP's are better, and the digital solution keeps trying to make the LP redundant, and so far it has not done so. Sometimes, I think that what we need in the top, is not a Karajhan or Leinsdorf, but a Bernstein! And while Steven deserves credit for the work, in the end, I think he would do much better if he got around to going back to his band.

He's taking far too much credit for this, and far too much criticism, and all he is doing is really trying to clean up what would normally be considered bad recording that could not be fixed in the old days of the tape recorder ... and in that, one could say that he did well.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: November 06 2014 at 23:18
^ When KC first came out I did not get it at all, I was too young, Schizoid was cool because of the metal sound, distorted and all that. The rest of the album made no sense.......Flash forward a long time and I have only begun to appreciate KC in the past 10yrs. Pulling that album out 10-15yrs ago I knew something was not right with the recording.
Then reading about how the tape deck was not aligned well, creating a bad recording...You can't fix that. But SW did do a better job than any of the reissues before his. It allowed me to hear, feel the music much better, an understanding....The intricacies of what KC wa doing I was now hearing better.

For that reason I enjoy what SW is doing with all these remix projects.

-------------

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: November 07 2014 at 05:52
I'm more interested in hearing a GFTO remix

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Date Posted: November 07 2014 at 09:08
Originally posted by Imperial Zeppelin Imperial Zeppelin wrote:

Not a bad idea then he can remix TFTO and edit out the filler and we might have a decent single album.
Wink

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: November 07 2014 at 10:46
Thanks so much Padraic. I found Handbrake, VLC, and a couple of others, none of which worked. But your find works perfectly. I already bought a copy. Smile

Date Posted: November 07 2014 at 11:39
By the way, I would love for Steve Wilson to remix Tormato. The album is so compressed and tin-sounding. The music itself is, in my opinion, really good. But the production is terrible.

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: November 07 2014 at 12:29
Originally posted by Cinema Cinema wrote:

Thanks so much Padraic. I found Handbrake, VLC, and a couple of others, none of which worked. But your find works perfectly. I already bought a copy. Smile

Great, you're welcome.  Smile

Posted By: Big Ears
Date Posted: November 07 2014 at 13:10
I agree the Panegyric version of Relayer sounds murky. I bought the original when it was first released and I do not recall it sounding grungy at all. On the contrary, it was sharp.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: November 08 2014 at 06:22
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Not a bad idea then he can remix TFTO and edit out the filler and we might have a decent single album.
Wink

Noooo. If he does, and he removes so much as 1 second, I will never forgive him.

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: November 08 2014 at 08:48
I heard the samples on the Yes YouTube channel and I love it.  I never
saw Relayer as a favorite Yes album, but after hearing this, I'm really looking forward
to the whole thing remixed. 

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: November 08 2014 at 08:56
I think part of the problem is that this was an album that cried out for being re-mastered.
I just have a lot of memories of trying to listen to it on lps or tapes.   Then again, sometimes
it's nice to skip over something to enjoy it fresh at a later time with all our attention. 

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Date Posted: November 08 2014 at 09:25

I was thinking that the GTO's remix would be much more interesting. Of course, it needs to be sexier, too!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: November 08 2014 at 09:30
^There's no sex in prog! Didn't you get the memo?

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: November 08 2014 at 09:37

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ When KC first came out I did not get it at all, I was too young, Schizoid was cool because of the metal sound, distorted and all that. The rest of the album made no sense.......Flash forward a long time and I have only begun to appreciate KC in the past 10yrs. Pulling that album out 10-15yrs ago I knew something was not right with the recording.

Then reading about how the tape deck was not aligned well, creating a bad recording...You can't fix that. But SW did do a better job than any of the reissues before his. It allowed me to hear, feel the music much better, an understanding....The intricacies of what KC wa doing I was now hearing better.

I think I was lucky. Having heard so much classical music, and modern stuff, including Bartok, Russell, Orff and others, allowed me to hear something in the rock music that no one around me had, or knew about. Even in Brazil, the experimental classical music scene that eventually gave us Villa Lobos was quite different, than the norm and the standard "classics".

By the time I heard Sgt Peppers, Their Satanic Majesty's BS, Days of Future Passed, and all the way to KC, and several others, I was no longer afraid of the screaming guitar. Not to mention that at the time, you can hear Edgar Broughton Band, and many other smaller bands in London, doing the same thing, and LA had its batch, and NY, of course, had its batch in Iggy and even the Ramones, all of whom were getting some attention, but not in radio, or the top ten fascist choices.

hearing KC's first, to me, was just like hearing Fairport convention first time, or Amon Duul 2, or Can, and the only exception that scared me, was Tangerine Dream ... Mysterious Semblance for the Strand of Nightmares, gave me a loop and a half, and that was the last time any piece of music has been strange, weird, off the wall, and beyond my ability and imagination to hear it and get a feel for it.

I still do not have a good feel for some eastern music, some of which is really hard to get into because we are so tied up to a beat and a measure ... but all in all, the difference was what helped me decide this was great. PLUS, I knew what it was about ... no one could deny the epitath for one's friends that dies in the IRA thing, or VietNam, but these days, no one knows about the emotion that creates, and people are mostly de-sensitized to it. Saying it is almost ... bizarre and not possible. No one would write a rock'n'roll song for idiots that died kinda thing!

How times have changed. But we knew, then, that it was meaningful music. But you had to get off the "top ten" to get a feel for it, and I did. Most of my friends didn't!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: November 08 2014 at 10:18
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I think he was referring to the cover LOL

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Date Posted: November 08 2014 at 13:05

I think he was referring to the cover LOL

I don't think he ever heard it, or seen the movie!

For the record, the album is OK, but nothing to even bother wasting time discussing. At least one of the groupies does not sound very good, and is actually rude. The others are OK. As for singing and what not ... I find them better than 3 of the top 4 women singers in the top ten list! They might not look as "sexy" now as they did then, but we were not looking for dollies, either!

The movie is the real trip. It is not quite related to the album but it is a classic! One of a kind! And worth seeing for the record, not for any glaring historical significance.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: November 09 2014 at 01:18
Originally posted by Cinema Cinema wrote:

By the way, I would love for Steve Wilson to remix Tormato. (...)
A nice idea. And with a new artwork by Roger Dean, it would be just great.
Same with GFTO.

Posted By: JohnNicholson
Date Posted: November 11 2014 at 03:16
Though Wilson did great job with these remixes, I think that Going For the One would by far open some new grounds with 5.1 remix.

Posted By: Stereolab
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 00:21
One Amazon review complains of a lack of low-end in this mix?

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: November 17 2014 at 06:17
PLEASE DO NOT LET STEVE WILSON F**K UP ANOTHER GREAT PROG CLASSIC!!

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 11:00
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

PLEASE DO NOT LET STEVE WILSON F**K UP ANOTHER GREAT PROG CLASSIC!!

I honestly do not think that he is ruining any of them.

He's becoming just like any other "conductor" of an orchestra. Hs interpretation is not bad, good, or indifferent. It's just different, and so it seems.

You have to get off the right and wrong thing ... go listen to 5 different versions (conducted by different folks) of Stravinsky or Tchaikovsky, and you will know what I mean!

A lot of this rock music, has not had 100 years yet, and several different versions, for us to absorb, and us rock fans (specially here!!!) do not have a good enough appreciation and understanding of music to even say nice things about Steven's work. He's merely trying to bring out the things that in those days were done because of the tape, that otherwise, today, would be considered a poor mix.

He's not changing the music at all! And the "positioning" of this or that instrument a little further or closer to your ear, does not a song make! It's the same piece!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Grimjack
Date Posted: November 22 2014 at 17:13
‘Relayer' is the album I was most excited about getting "the Wilson treatment". Fusion's influence, the presence of the jazzier Patrick Moraz on keyboards and perhaps some collective band aggression due to post-Wakeman/post-Topographic fallout created an interesting structural twin to 'Close to the Edge', though these two albums sound nothing alike. After the sprawling epic-ness of ‘Tales from Topographic Oceans’, ‘Relayer’ took things to a whole new level in songcraft, musicianship, and visceral impact. But sonically, I always found 'Relayer' to be a mess...thin, shrill and so much going on in a muddled mix that listening was often the experience of admiring the album rather than immersing myself in it. Steven Wilson’s work on 'Relayer' with an expansive 5.1 mix and a much cleaner stereo mix has changed that. As has happened with Wilson’s reworkings of King Crimson's 'Lizard' and to a degree with Jethro Tull's 'A Passion Play', I hope 'Relayer’’ gets another day in court.

Steven Wilson’s remix work has caused occasional controversy…not everyone appreciates his techniques or his results. I'm one of those people who does. In my opinion, if anyone has the credibility to take a swing at remixing Yes, Crimso, Caravan, Tull et all, it's Steven Wilson--a prog fan who came of age as a musician and producer equally comfortable with a computer mouse in his hand as he was a guitar pick. Furthermore Wilson's teenage immersion in those classic prog albums primed him to listen with the ears of fan as well as studio professional. From my perspective, Wilson has a preternatural understanding of the character of each musician, instrument and their combined context in the overall piece. Wilson’s work has changed my listening experience of these albums for the better, and ‘Relayer' most of all. I enjoy the clarity and separation of the instruments that Wilson’s mixes provide which was very evident in his work on ‘Close to the Edge’ and 'The Yes Album’, but Wilson takes it to a whole new level with ‘Relayer'. To those wondering if you’ll be missing the additional battle sound effects that are absent from this release…fear not. The musical cacophony is so beautifully expanded and clarified you’ll be more focused on how much more of the band you CAN hear, rather than the sound effects you can’t. I didn’t miss those sound effects one bit. The end result of Wilson’s efforts is that he made ‘Relayer’ sound as huge as I believe the band was aiming for at the time, but to my ears didn't quite get there. There was a moment during the playback of "The Gates of Delirium" in 5.1 when I fully expected a blitzkrieg of scimitar-wielding mutant barbarians atop rabid velociraptors to come storming out of my speakers…and there were no drugs involved.

‘Relayer’ has been liberated. The 5.1 mix gives everything room to breathe, with Chris Squire’s bass benefitting enormously from the expansion of the sound. The clarity is remarkable, and Steven Wilson managed to remove the shrillness of the original production without AT ALL reducing the ferocity of the performance. I’ve listened to this album a LOT over the years and I’m hearing things in this new mix I never noticed before. The sonic cheesecloth that covered this incredibly ambitious music for the last 40 years has been removed yet this is something more than simply a sonic upgrade…it is ‘Relayer' 2.0. Highest recommendation.

Date Posted: November 25 2014 at 08:40

At least we're not as old as Beethoven and Mozart!

NP: ELO - Roll Over Beethoven

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: barrows
Date Posted: December 28 2014 at 14:52
Wow!  It is hard to understand the SW hate present in this thread.  So far, the work I have heard him (Crimson and Yes) do has been exemplary.  I have the new Relayer re-mix on DVDA, ripped the 24/96 to my music server, and it sounds much better than any other version I have heard (including original vinyl in '75).  I have always loved the complexity of Relayer, but the mix/mastering always suffered from being too bright, and too busy sounding.  SW has brought out new details, while at the same time making the entire thing more listenable tonally.  I have not listened to the CD version, as I will always prefer hi res in my system.
And anyway, why hate on what SW does: the DVDA package includes a high res flat transfer (no re-mix) from the analog master as well, so you can choose that version if you prefer.

Date Posted: December 29 2014 at 03:40
There has been a backlash against Steven for a while. I can sort of understand it as he is not the most 'cuddly'  of people and does occasionally rub people up the wrong way. I am now a fan of him but that wasn't always the case.I think the guy works hard and does anyone else that interested and committed to prog generally know their way round a sound mixing desk as well as he does? I doubt it.

Date Posted: December 29 2014 at 03:44
A stunning remix of (imo) the best album by Yes!

Date Posted: December 29 2014 at 15:24

Originally posted by barrows barrows wrote:

Wow!  It is hard to understand the SW hate present in this thread.

I don't think it is hate, as much as it might be considered that SW thinks he has a better say in determining what is "progressive" based on his choices of music to help clean up. However, I have not heard him use the word "progressive" at all for these situations!!!!

The fact is, that no one was going to clean up YES, GG or KC ... and he got Robert to understand things even better than before, if I am not mistaken.

Again, my feeling has been all along that it doesn't matter who re-mixes, or re-masters these things ... the original will always remain just another version of the same piece of music, and digital or not, you can not erase the human element and neither can you make it "better", and too many folks are deceiving themselves via the commercial top ten definition and understanding of things.

It's a matter of time, and digital will surpass any LP ever made. Plain and simple! Nobody ever thought we would reach the moon or that we would even be flying, or that there would be a tunnel under the English channel.

Times change.

Things change.

And one day there was a woman Prime Minister in a country that thought women were secondary citizens and the comments in the media were unbelievable ... yhou would think women were animals!

Originally posted by barrows barrows wrote:

...  So far, the work I have heard him (Crimson and Yes) do has been exemplary. ...

I won't disagree.

However, that's like saying that the version of Bernstein of The rite of Spring, is better than Stokowski, which is better than Osawa's which is better than Leinsdorf which is better than Karajhan's!

That's crazy.

WHAT you are hearing that has changed from the original, has absolutely NOTHING to do with the original feeling that came through the music, something that is very specific and peculiar to that piece, and is the "secret" that keeps that piece alive for so long and appreciated even after hundreds of years!

You must see that!

Steven's touch is nice, there is no doubt about it, and it is quite visible in the Porcupine Tree stuff and in his own albums ... but I think that he should concentrate on his own work, and let the stravinsky's of rock, or the tchaikovsky's of rock live and die by their own hand. If YES, is not intelligent enough to stop playing with lesser musicians and take care of their work, then ... that's that. If Robert is not smart enough to realize that the stuff sitting in the vaults is a volcano waiting to explode ... then, that's that! If Gentle Giant is not strong enough to know what they can do with their work for another generation ... there is nothing you can tell them that will help them listen!

In the end, the electronic versions will survive, because the vinyl's time is over ... so us crying over the horse carriages of 100 years ago, will, eventually, sound stupid and bizarre!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Darfnader
Date Posted: February 02 2018 at 10:31
Steven Wilson is the best thing that has happened to progressive rock in decades. He is audacious but he has earned that through work and discipline. I genuine believe his motivation is nothing but to make music and to preserve the classic notions that we hold about it, such as the idea of the album, the importance to a recordings tone as much as it’s content, and the ability to get the amazing artists to play with him that are genuinely undiscovered but clearly gifted. If he’s trying to get noticed to be cool or have power or influence, he does a great job of hiding it. The audacity to remix classic albums in pot 5.1 is sure to piss people off, but it is a worthy effort. Granted some of the results are not as good as others, possibly because of what he has to work with, but when you hear Hand. Cannot. Erase. In your home theatres sweet spot, it is unearthly. It is not the gimmicky sound of those simulators late model home theatre receivers attempt. It’s is a native mix and the experience is hard to describe. I can’t say any of the remixes can touch that level of sound, but there is new depth. The issue I have heard that sounds the most valid is that since he is remixing the sound to become something very different than say when an album gets a stereo remix to “clean up” older, less masterful studio jobs, he is taking license with how the album sounds in a way that is making assumptions about what the original artists would have wanted. I will stand up for the effort because had those artists been able to practically record in 5.1 and the recording could be enjoyed without unusually equipment, they most surely would have. I know people resist 5.1, 5.2, 7.1, 9.1, and Atmos because we can all be purists, the reality is these recordings have qualities stereo LPs simply can’t achieve. The sampling rate and resolution of blu-ray audio is so dense that there is no sacrifice to digitizing like there was with CDs, which are still close. The added depth of natural tracks really creates the feeling like your standing with the band playing around you in a very natural way, assuming you’re not trying to add some hokey DSP to it. I still cling to my LPs, but I can not deny that I believe all music should be mixed in every multi channel format possible. Technology is not there yet, but it will. Also, playing blu-ray for music is actually clunkier than playing a record IMHO because of how players are generally so badly designed and not geared for audiophiles, but I hope 5.1 recordings become SOP for music generally listen to on couches. To all the doubters, just listen to the 5.1 recording of Hand Cannot Erase on a good System and hear for yourself!

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: February 02 2018 at 10:40
^Holy welcome/necrobump!

I personally enjoy all his mixes.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 03 2018 at 19:01
oh yeah....

Originally posted by Darfnader Darfnader wrote:

Steven Wilson is the best thing that has happened to progressive rock in decades.

SNIP!!!!

best I snip rather than read.. as I didn't hold much hope for irony over pure unadolated fanboyism in the rest of that novel.

You need to get out more... there are scores and scores of bands NOT named or associated with Steve Wilson putting to shame the pure sh*t he has thrown out the last few years...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: February 04 2018 at 09:39
So tell us ...how do you really feel about Wilson...?      

ps: 'unadolated'...? Really...?

;)

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: February 04 2018 at 10:22

So tell us ...how do you really feel about Wilson...?      

ps: 'unadolated'...? Really...?

;)

bah.....  never mistake me for Raff and her perfection in the wielding of the written word..

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: February 04 2018 at 10:30
^Oh....I never mistake you for Raff.

ps: Throw out some of those scores of names of bands  for me...my 'fanboyism' has worn off.

;)

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: February 04 2018 at 10:38

^Oh....I never mistake you for Raff.

ps: Throw out some of those scores of names of bands  for me...my 'fanboyism' has worn off.

;)

yeah  we were always the beauty and the beast....  impossible to mistake the two of us.... though I remember some thought Raff was one of my alt ID's I do have here.   Good times....  with my favorite I got two of the SC's here so worked up and hot to trot they started PMing me looking to hook up.... I had to break it off when they did that. sh*t started a bit wierd ... men really are such pigs

oh a list...   perhaps later...  best best is to pick by random..  you'll find most all of them are worlds above what SWilson has been doing. It really isnt that hard I suppose haha

-------------

Posted By: lostrom
Date Posted: February 06 2018 at 02:09
"dull and muddy" sounds like a good thing to me, in these days when people think smiley faced EQ'ing is good sounding. The pops are probably from the tapes, but I haven't heard it closely - I doubt it's defective copy.

-------------
lostrom

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: February 09 2018 at 12:38
Did this dude straight up disappear?

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk