Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100398
Printed Date: May 07 2024 at 06:10
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Solaris or SBB?
Posted By: friso
Subject: Solaris or SBB?
Date Posted: November 23 2014 at 11:25
Both made some great albums and came from countries behind the Iron Curtain.

Don't forget to check out the Martian Chronicles II (2014) album by Solaris!

Replies:
Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: November 23 2014 at 11:40
Both

Date Posted: November 23 2014 at 11:48
yeah of course.. but if you had to pick one..?

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: November 23 2014 at 11:58
SBB for me but then again I only have Martian Chronicles, which I do adore. I remember listening to their Nostradamus album from 1999 thinking it sounded way too sterile for my tastes and i haven't explored any further.

SBB on the other hand: Karlstad, the debut plus all the other ones from the 70s which i have a hard time spelling out. Damn those polish wordsLOL 
They've also got one of my alltime favourite drummers in Jerzy PiotrowskiHeart well not anymore now that I think of it.....big mistake.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: November 23 2014 at 12:01
Do I have to pick......okay SBB.......very tough poll, the new album from Solaris is my album of the year

Date Posted: November 23 2014 at 12:07
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Do I have to pick......okay SBB.......very tough poll, the new album from Solaris is my album of the year

Yeah, I listened to it today for the first time, my running candidate as well!

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: November 23 2014 at 12:25
Voted SBB cuz I love so many of their albums, BUT Martian Chronicles is awesome. I can't wait to here MK II.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: November 23 2014 at 12:58
Both A and B. Big smile

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Tuzvihar
Date Posted: November 23 2014 at 13:13
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

SBB for me but then again I only have Martian Chronicles, which I do adore. I remember listening to their Nostradamus album from 1999 thinking it sounded way too sterile for my tastes and i haven't explored any further.

SBB on the other hand: Karlstad, the debut plus all the other ones from the 70s which i have a hard time spelling out. Damn those polish wordsLOL 
They've also got one of my alltime favourite drummers in Jerzy PiotrowskiHeart well not anymore now that I think of it.....big mistake.

Actually, he came back to the band this year. Big smile

BTW, in the 80s he joined a Synth Pop band Kombi which is very famous in Poland in which he played on electric drums. Check out this clip:

Sorry for destroying the legend. Tongue (but I always loved Kombi anyway Embarrassed)

-------------
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski

Date Posted: November 23 2014 at 13:21
BTW, I don't know the music of Solaris, so I can't vote.

-------------
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: November 23 2014 at 13:25
Solaris is my little Hungarian badge of honor. Truly legendary. 
MK II review coming soon. 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: November 23 2014 at 14:41
Solaris. Marsbeli Kronikak is an unbridled masterpiece. SBB are fantastic themselves, but not quite up to the level of those magnificent Magyars.

Posted By: Permy
Date Posted: November 23 2014 at 15:29
The recent Martian Chronicles II is damn fine.

It bogs down a bit after the first track, but has a very strong ending.  Much recommended overall!
At the annual hometown record show this afternoon I saw 4 or 5 of the earliest SBB lps in excellent shape - rare for these flimsy Polish covers - going for $10 each. Also some Skryzk titles. I'm now kicking myself that I did not get his Josefina lp - thought I already had it!

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: November 23 2014 at 15:38
Polak, Węgier, dwa bratanki, i do szabli, i do szklanki.

Pole, Hungarian, two good friends, fight together and drink together.

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: November 23 2014 at 16:29
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Polak, Węgier, dwa bratanki, i do szabli, i do szklanki.

Pole, Hungarian, two good friends, fight together and drink together.

Indeed. Wink

Lengyel-magyar két jó barát, együtt harcol s issza borát.

-------------

Charles Bukowski

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: November 24 2014 at 09:31
Wow this is hard, it's kind of a tie I guess. Solaris debut is one hell of an album and SBB got Memento Z Banalnym Tryptykiem and Karlstad but they also have a few albums that are just ok for me.

And I agree Solaris latest is growing on me with every spin, definitely recommended!

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: November 24 2014 at 09:49
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

BTW, in the 80s he joined a Synth Pop band Kombi which is very famous in Poland in which he played on electric drums. Check out this clip:

Sorry for destroying the legend. Tongue (but I always loved Kombi anyway Embarrassed)

Thank Bartek, I really enjoyed thatBig smile

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: November 24 2014 at 10:12
I like SBB a lot but I have to go with

Solaris

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: November 24 2014 at 13:43
Solaris :)

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: November 24 2014 at 16:50
SBB

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: November 25 2014 at 13:11

Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Thank Bartek, I really enjoyed thatBig smile

Really? I'm glad you did. Big smileWink

-------------

Charles Bukowski

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: December 02 2014 at 20:22

SBB.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk