Print Page | Close Window

Chris Squire (Yes) to undergo treatment

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=102490
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 02:53
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Chris Squire (Yes) to undergo treatment
Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Subject: Chris Squire (Yes) to undergo treatment
Date Posted: May 19 2015 at 07:19
Just posted on Yes' official FB page:

YES BASSIST AND CO-FOUNDING MEMBER CHRIS SQUIRE TO UNDERGO TREATMENT FOR LEUKEMIA

Grammy Award-winning bass guitarist, vocalist, and founding member of YES, Chris Squire, has been diagnosed with Acute Erythroid Leukemia (AEL), an uncommon form of Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML). Chris will be receiving treatment in his hometown of Phoenix over the next few months.

YES will be honouring their commitment to their North American summer tour with Toto, as well as confirming their performances on Cruise to the Edge in November.

Chris's role in the band will be covered by YES alumnus Billy Sherwood.

To quote Chris: "This will be the first time since the band formed in 1968 that YES will have performed live without me. But the other guys and myself have agreed that Billy Sherwood will do an excellent job of covering my parts and the show as a whole will deliver the same YES experience that our fans have come to expect over the years."

Best of luck, Mr Squire.

Replies:
Posted By: Terakonin
Date Posted: May 19 2015 at 07:39
Very shocking news about one of my favourite musicians. I wish for him to get well soon.

-------------
You left a note in your perfect script
Stay as long as you like
I haven't left your bed since

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: May 19 2015 at 10:53
Yes should continue on without him and continue finding replacements that sound like a knock off for the next decade. 

On a serious note: Hope the man stays strong. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: May 19 2015 at 11:10
Just looked the condition up. It looks serious

Let's hope the treatment is successful. Prayers will be said tonight.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: May 19 2015 at 11:25
Ohh man this is not good.....You are right Steve this condition is serious, let's hope for the best!

-------------

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: May 19 2015 at 11:52
NO!!!!!!!

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: May 19 2015 at 15:32
Very sad news. Chris Squire is as relevant to me as any of the Beatles. More so, perhaps.

More candles to burn as of late, but I still keep the faith that Chris will have a complete recovery.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: May 19 2015 at 15:44
GET BETTER CHRIS, WE BELIEVE IN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: May 19 2015 at 16:59
Hold on, dude.

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: May 19 2015 at 17:15
Shame to read...especially the seriousness of the illness.

Yes without Squire seems wrong. Hopefully it won't be for long.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Clepsydra
Date Posted: May 19 2015 at 18:54
Oh man! This is not good at all..............

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: May 19 2015 at 20:13
Sad news indeed.  Thoughts and prayers for you Chris!  

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: May 20 2015 at 01:27
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Yes should continue on without him and continue finding replacements that sound like a knock off for the next decade. 

On a serious note: Hope the man stays strong. 

Mission accomplished, Yes will continue to meet touring obligations with Billy Sherwood filling in for Chris Squire. 

Seriously, I hope he feels better, and I hope he and Jon Anderson reach some level of understanding.

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: May 20 2015 at 04:07
Oh no! This makes me so worried and sad. I love him so much CryHeart

Date Posted: May 20 2015 at 04:52
Yes - Roundabout Isolated Bass Track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRjAgl1dQBk" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRjAgl1dQBk

Date Posted: May 20 2015 at 04:54
Chris Squire - Great Rickenbacker Bass Sounds 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUWn90y7Kgc" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUWn90y7Kgc

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: May 20 2015 at 06:20
Very sad news. I'm afraid that whatever he and the band may say, he is irreplaceable.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: May 20 2015 at 07:17
Oh dear
This is the news I've been dreading......
Hope you pull through fine, Master Squire. The world will be a lesser place without your musical touch.
No doubt Billy S will do a great job to keep the wheels turning........come what may.......
(Blame it on the folks who rated Heaven And Earth with less than 3 stars
)

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: May 20 2015 at 10:22
Well, Tony Iommi has been winning a tough fight against lymphoma for 3 years now, Bruce Dickenson just beat throat cancer, and I spent the past 6 months zapping thyroid cancer to oblivion so there's lot's of reasons to hope Chris can join the club Wink 

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: May 20 2015 at 12:55
We live in an age of medical miracles, and such conditions are treatable.  Examine the potential causes of it, Chris!  My wife was diagnosed with lymphoma-leukemia a few years ago.  Fortunately, it was caught in such an early stage that treatment was not yet advised.  She determined that the cause was stress from a promotion she accepted at work, a job she never enjoyed doing.  The diagnosis made her realize the small increase in income was not worth it.  Her expanded lymph nodes are now down to normal.  Seek whatever treatment is recommended, but do not forget that nothing exists in a vacuum.  Survivors abound.  Please, Chris, be one of them!

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: May 20 2015 at 14:10
NOOOOO! MY GOD! FIRST TIME SEEING THEM LIVE AND HE'S NOT HERE! MY INSPIRATION FOR PICKING UP BASS! PLEASE GET BETTER SOON. *breaks down*

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: May 20 2015 at 14:17
I'll be playing some Yes every day for a while... Hang in there Chris.

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Date Posted: May 20 2015 at 18:07
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Well, Tony Iommi has been winning a tough fight against lymphoma for 3 years

That is because he has Satan backing him up!Wink

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: May 20 2015 at 18:25
Get well soon, Chris Squire!

Posted By: dennismoore
Date Posted: May 20 2015 at 20:38
Googling his condition provides much information, but at his age and him being a long time smoker really
puts the odds against him. Depending on other elements specific to his physiology will make his odds even worse or perhaps better. Unfortunately he has a very serious cancer.

I am a cancer survivor myself and I take every day as a blessing.  Life is indeed short, be happy. That is a reality for me, not just a clever slogan.

Personally YES are my church since I fell in love with them in 1975.  I knew even back then that all things pass and one day there would be no touring YES band.  This is why I have never been critical of any YES line-up. If you don't care for a particular YES grouping then don't go.  But surely all will agree that the worse possible condition is no possible YES groupings.

I  dream & hope that Chris can beat this thing but with odds like a median expectancy of 8 months, it underscores the seriousness.

For me, I will enjoy any YES as long as it has Howe & Squire, so this is pretty much my worst nightmare.

Maybe fortune will provide for one more chance for Chris & Steve & Jon & Alan to play again.

I will put my faith there.

-------------
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: May 20 2015 at 22:23
Hope he puts Yes to bed at this point. I had checked out in many ways anyway and just don't need the band watered down any more than it is---I hope Chris takes care of himself. Yes like Floyd had a long run but all things must pass.

Posted By: freyacat
Date Posted: May 21 2015 at 10:24
When I read this in the news this morning, I had the sinking feeling that I may have seen Chris play with Yes for the last time.

It's not given to us, of course, to stay young and healthy forever.  We age, we get sick, we die, all of us.  But I like to think that great art, as Yes music surely is, is a way for eternity to peek into time and let us know that there is so much more beyond the horizon of our limited sight.

If you follow a musical hero for many years, they become like a treasured friend, even if you have never spoken face to face, you have listened, taken in what they have to say. 

So, while there is so little we can do, we can give Chris our love, as he has given us so much in his long, illustrious career.

-------------
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: May 21 2015 at 10:52
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

I am a cancer survivor myself and I take every day as a blessing.  Life is indeed short, be happy. That is a reality for me, not just a clever slogan. 

Excellent advice. The thing that's so f'd up about cancer is that many forms are unrelated to poor health choices and have nothing to do with how good you do or don't take care of yourself.  My 51 yr old gym-rat sister-in-law went in for a routine colonoscopy a few years ago and it had already spread to several major organs...she was dead in 6 months.  Late 2014 I felt a strange tightness in my throat...had it checked out right away...thyroid cancer.  Now, post surgery and radioactive iodine treatment everything's cool, but it just goes to show how you never know when your time will be up so live each day as if it's your last...because it very well could be Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: May 21 2015 at 14:22
Quite shocking news. Hope he can be cured.

Date Posted: May 21 2015 at 15:18
Originally posted by freyacat freyacat wrote:

When I read this in the news this morning, I had the sinking feeling that I may have seen Chris play with Yes for the last time.

It's not given to us, of course, to stay young and healthy forever.  We age, we get sick, we die, all of us.  But I like to think that great art, as Yes music surely is, is a way for eternity to peek into time and let us know that there is so much more beyond the horizon of our limited sight.

If you follow a musical hero for many years, they become like a treasured friend, even if you have never spoken face to face, you have listened, taken in what they have to say. 

So, while there is so little we can do, we can give Chris our love, as he has given us so much in his long, illustrious career.

Well said.Clap

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: May 21 2015 at 18:15
Hoping for a fast and painless recovery.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Date Posted: May 21 2015 at 18:26
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Hope he puts Yes to bed at this point. I had checked out in many ways anyway and just don't need the band watered down any more than it is---I hope Chris takes care of himself. Yes like Floyd had a long run but all things must pass.

Clap

I doubt if Chris will ever play (defiantly not tour) with Yes again.

Time to say "Thanks for the memories!"

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: May 21 2015 at 23:58
:-(.....Silently falling....rave on Chris and prove our worst nightmares wrong. Godspeed to you and your family.

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: May 22 2015 at 13:14
That is shocking news - wishing him a speedy  and full recovery. 

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: May 22 2015 at 15:33
I'm speachless

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: May 22 2015 at 22:54
Normally I try not to get too emotionally invested in people I don't actually know, but my heart just broke a little.

Posted By: jayem
Date Posted: May 23 2015 at 19:44
A encouraging lesson by cancer survivors here. Of course the promised google disorder/illness detectors would be very welcome !

Let's trust Billy Sherwood, although for sure what I find great in Yes owes very much to Chris, it shows on his solo album (which is my favorite, as it's like saying one of the best Yes albums vs solo albums).

And, I'd be surprized to learn that Chris has ever been so bad a man that people would develop a harsh illness because of him !!

-------------
http://www.digger.ch/?lang=en" rel="nofollow - Support mine-clearing !
https://bandcamp.com/machinechance/?lang=en" rel="nofollow - bandcamp collection

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: May 23 2015 at 20:34
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Normally I try not to get too emotionally invested in people I don't actually know, but my heart just broke a little.

Nimoy was the one that broke my heart. Obviously never met him or knew him but still felt ..well as if one did.

Still ..sad news...  hopefully he can fight through it and get back out there and do what he, and his fans, love seeing him do.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: May 23 2015 at 21:47
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Nimoy was the one that broke my heart. Obviously never met him or knew him but still felt ..well as if one did.

Still ..sad news...  hopefully he can fight through it and get back out there and do what he, and his fans, love seeing him do.

For me, it was Richard Wright. The news just came out of the blue back then, and it was rather disturbing    Still, wishing all the luck possible to Squire right now.

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 10:00
I'm so sad about Squire's health, but, I pray for your recuperation. 
Chris I hope you can return as soon as possible. 
You are essential for mine ( and certainly for many others)  musical delirious  moments. 
One embrace great musician ! 

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 11:24
I think can take this as the death knell for Yes (beyond commitments already made) whether Chris recovers or not (unless Jon and Rick rejoin.)

Best wishes for a positive outcome, Chris.

Billy Sherwood?  NOOOOOO!!!!  Surely Tony Levin isn't too busy???

-------------

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 12:06
I've only just seen this.  Very sad news indeed. Keep fighting Chris and let's hope for a full recovery.

Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 13:39
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

We love the art, but it's impossible to separate that from the artist (as Yeats asked, How can we know the dancer from the dance?).  Their art touches us so their lives touch upon ours, and hence the sadness when we hear news like this.

Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 15:23
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

I think can take this as the death knell for Yes (beyond commitments already made) whether Chris recovers or not (unless Jon and Rick rejoin.)

Best wishes for a positive outcome, Chris.

Billy Sherwood?  NOOOOOO!!!!  Surely Tony Levin isn't too busy???

Agree 100%---if this isn't the death knell--sherwood surely is.LOL

Posted By: jayem
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 16:18
Sherwood isn't that bad is he ?

-------------
http://www.digger.ch/?lang=en" rel="nofollow - Support mine-clearing !
https://bandcamp.com/machinechance/?lang=en" rel="nofollow - bandcamp collection

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 21:44

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Best wishes for a positive outcome, Chris.</span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Billy Sherwood?  NOOOOOO!!!!  Surely Tony Levin isn't too busy???</span>

I think it's somewhat out of place to be talking about possible replacements (or the impossibility of it) for Squire at this point.

Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 22:25
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Best wishes for a positive outcome, Chris.</span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Billy Sherwood?  NOOOOOO!!!!  Surely Tony Levin isn't too busy???</span>

I think it's somewhat out of place to be talking about possible replacements (or the impossibility of it) for Squire at this point.

not happy about the use of the term "death knell."  Speculation of this sort belongs elsewhere - let's use this thread as an opportunity to wish the man well and hope for his speedy recovery.

Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 22:54
i already wished the man well several times and hopes he takes care of himself and forgets Yes for the time being---so he can recover from this completely---from what I have read about this disease this is a serious thing that will take time to recover from. Great Yes is like a religious experience for me----and I have several albums I can always be moved by--mediocre Yes and mediocre players in Yes do not interest me---and have not for some time. But this is about my taste in music and my expectations for Yes music. 

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: May 25 2015 at 01:44
This is true - let's not jump the gun here, Chris may well pull through this, as we all hope and pray he does.
In order for Yes to fulfil their touring obligations, there's no need to hate on Sherwood - he's quite a competent bassist/musician - FOR THE TIME BEING.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk