Print Page | Close Window

The Moody Blues appreciation thread

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=107889
Printed Date: May 03 2024 at 23:36
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Moody Blues appreciation thread
Posted By: Kingsnake
Subject: The Moody Blues appreciation thread
Date Posted: September 22 2016 at 02:43
The Moodies.

They were one of the first bands to use orchestra. Often cited as being of the first symphonic rock bands. One of the most important progressive rockbands.

The Moodies have had a long career, starting as an R&B band, then using orchestra on Days of Future Passed and even created a string of psychedelic concept albums.
Eventually incorporating mellotron in their music and being pioneers in mellotron-based rockmusic.
They stopped in 1972, released several solo-albums and eventually pickin upin 1978 with the mediocre Octave, then surprised friend and fiend with the very high standard Long Distance Voyager, and then ventured into synthpop/muzak, and eventually disappeared from view.

Bandmembers, John Lodge, Justin Hayward, Ray Thomas, Mike Pinder, Patrick Moraz and even Graeme Edge all released several soloalbums, where Blue jays (Lodge and Lees) is the closest to The Moody Blues-sound.

Here we can discuss their music, their solo-albums and guest appearances on several projects/albums.

Replies:
Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: September 22 2016 at 03:28
Gawd, there must be some psychics on these forums - I was literally thinking about a MB Appreciation Thread as I searched and couldn't find one. Before my Tech / Extreme binge of late, I listened to the 'main 7' albums several times each, and I was obsessing over Lost Chord and Threshold. Both AMAZING albums. What a bunch of outstanding musicians. Ray Thomas is quite a flautist, and Pinder and his technical know-how on his mellotrons is priceless. I never tire from these guys.

Date Posted: September 22 2016 at 03:40
Wink
Glad to be of service. :D

Have you ever heard these:

Date Posted: September 22 2016 at 04:23
^ I used to have From Mighty Oaks but it sounded more like Ray Coniffe than Ray Thomas. Maybe I missed something ?? Had Blue Jays as well but that somehow, strangely vanished from my collection........I don't recall what happened there......
I love Hayward's guitar solo in Peak Hour - it sounds like Surf-Music. And Pinder's 'tron solo.
Everything I ever want from the Moodys is jam-packed into Lost Chord.
Many folks diss Ray Thomas' songs, but I've often found them twee and psychedelic (Nice To Be Here, Dr Livingstone etc.).
Children's Children's Children Childen Children.........is superb too. Love it to bits.

Date Posted: September 22 2016 at 04:27
My favorite is The Seventh Sojourn.

It has a more rock-feel to it and features some lengthy songs.
My favorite rock-song is The Story in Your Eyes, wich is on Every Good Boy Deserves Favour.

But Seventh Sojourn has the Lodge-rocker Singer in a Rock n Roll Band, wich really rocks aswell.
But the lengthy songs New Horizons, Land of Make Believe and When You're a Free Man are amongst the best songs the band ever did.

Date Posted: September 22 2016 at 04:32
Also The Moody Blues, is the only band I know with four (!!!) leadvocalists.

Date Posted: September 22 2016 at 04:43
I actually forgot just how great Seventh Sojourn is. My faves on that are Lost In A Losr World, New Horizons and When You're A Free Man. But there's nothing weak on it. Beautiful cover art, too.
My very first MB album was EGBDF - back in 1987, a quite battered LP for 2 bucks. I've up-graded to a pristine copy, of course. Procession still sounds as exciting now as it did when I first heard it. My Song is a bit of a mini-epic.
If we're talking later Moodys, I guess The Present is the only one I appreciate. Blue World is quite excellent.
I need to get back to Long Distance Voyager. Can't remember much of that one.

Date Posted: September 22 2016 at 04:55
Long Distance Voyager is with Patrick Moraz,  and is a return to forms, after the disappointing Octave.

It features long songs and lost of bombastic arrangments. Long Distance Voyager and The Present were the last true symphonic rock albums.
I still like Sur La Mer, The Other Side of Life and Keys to the Kingdom, but that's because I like soft middle-of-the-road popmusic aswell.

Yeah, the artwork of The Moodies was great. Also the solowork is done by the same artist over and over again: Phil Travers ( https://nl.pinterest.com/tomshieh/phil-travers-album-covers/" rel="nofollow - https://nl.pinterest.com/tomshieh/phil-travers-album-covers/  )

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: September 22 2016 at 09:24
Have you heard their Live At Red Rock with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra performance? It is absolutely one of my favorite live albums. 

-------------

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: September 22 2016 at 09:24
I'm a big fan.  I'm not inclined to listen to DOFP much, and actually don't like On the Threshold of a Dream, which to me is mostly leftover 60s pop.  But I love the other 5.  I agree that Seventh Sojourn is VERY strong, and is unfairly maligned because it's the last and the band admitted to being very unhappy when they made it.  Unhappiness can produce great music, wow!  I enjoyed select tracks from subsequent albums until Sur La Mer, but they ceased to be unified efforts as the earlier ones had been, and they had more weak tracks  In terms of extracurricular stuff, I haven't heard most of the solo work but I thought the Blue Jays album and Hayward's solo work were overwrought.  I did enjoy their single "Blue Guitar" and LOVED Justin Hayward's "Forever Autumn" of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: September 22 2016 at 21:11
I only have "Days of Future Passed" and "To our children's children's children", plus a 4 CD hits album. DoFP is amazing for me, and the children's album is great too, though I feel most of the songs are too short and just leave me wanting more... and even though all the songs together make a whole greater than the sum of it's parts, I would have liked them so segue into each other to make the impression of a longer suite. From the compilation album, I certainly got the idea that by the 80's the band lost it's way... I just couldn't find any song I really liked once the 70's songs were done.

Date Posted: September 22 2016 at 22:05
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I only have "Days of Future Passed" and "To our children's children's children", plus a 4 CD hits album. DoFP is amazing for me, and the children's album is great too, though I feel most of the songs are too short and just leave me wanting more... and even though all the songs together make a whole greater than the sum of it's parts, I would have liked them so segue into each other to make the impression of a longer suite. From the compilation album, I certainly got the idea that by the 80's the band lost it's way... I just couldn't find any song I really liked once the 70's songs were done.

someone mentioned Blue World, which is from "The Present", which was not a commercial album at all, except maybe the song Sitting at the Wheel.  I also really love the song "The Other Side of Life".  It's like nothing else they ever did and its got a great synth hook and short concise Hayward guitar solo.  But yeah, the quality dropped a lot 

Posted By: TheDankCookie
Date Posted: September 23 2016 at 06:15
I love the first couple of albums. My personal favorite is Every Good Boy Deserves Favour.

Date Posted: September 23 2016 at 07:29
Originally posted by TheDankCookie TheDankCookie wrote:

I love the first couple of albums. My personal favorite is Every Good Boy Deserves Favour.

that's a great one, and somewhat underrated.  The local French language FM station used to play the entire first side, and what a side!  Edge's song is incredible.

Posted By: SquonkHunter
Date Posted: September 23 2016 at 19:50
Christmas Break, 1968, Seventh Grade, age 12. I was at a friend's house admiring his new AM/FM receiver with turntable he had just gotten for Christmas. Just then, the local "underground" FM station (Dallas, TX) plays a strange song I had not heard before. It was Legend of a Mind. I was mesmerized by this strange music that was unlike anything I had ever heard before. That day I became a fan of The Moody Blues and have been ever since, almost 48 years now.

-------------
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."

Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 02:32
Legend of a Mind was a tribute to Timothy Leary, the LSD-guru.

It's a wonderful peace of work, and maybe the most important song in progressive rock featuring mellotron. If there's one song that uses the Mellotron to the max, it's this song.

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: September 25 2016 at 09:17
Seventh Sojourn is my pick, as some might know. Perfect blend of cheese and class. 

-------------
http://fryingpanmedia.com

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: September 25 2016 at 09:24
The first seven albums are all really good, but To our childrens childrens children is my favourite, followed by Seventh Sojourn.

Justin Hayward is one of the finest singers in rock IMO. Such a pure, clear and pitch perfect voice.

Mr Pinder was a mellotron/chamberlain god too!

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: September 25 2016 at 11:11
The funny thing is, there is no such thing as the first seven albums. Because the first album is The Magnificent Moodies.  So historically speaking, The Seventh Sojourn was their eighth album.

Truth be told, the first album is rather bland R&B and nowhere the symphonic/psychedelic pop/rock the band became known for.

Star

Date Posted: September 26 2016 at 01:22
Listening to Long Distane Voyager, The Present and after that A Night at the Red Rocks at the office today.

Posted By: EddieRUKiddingVarese
Date Posted: September 28 2016 at 18:56
I'm a Zappa fan so excuse me but my Wife likes the Moody Blues and we have all their albums, including most of the solo stuff and I have one question- why does it all sounds the same.............?

its like torture........................... granted, I can listen to some of the earlier stuff but ............... I have no choice..... help

-------------
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: September 28 2016 at 19:13
Originally posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:

I'm a Zappa fan so excuse me but my Wife likes the Moody Blues and we have all their albums, including most of the solo stuff and I have one question- why does it all sounds the same.............?
Why does a lot of Genesis sounds the same too? Formulas work.

-------------
http://fryingpanmedia.com

Date Posted: September 28 2016 at 19:23
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Why does a lot of Genesis sounds the same too? Formulas work.

think you've got it - on a good think eh!

-------------

Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 00:19
They have 4 vocalists and 5 writers. How can it possibly all sound the same?

Does a rocksong like Singer in a Rock n Roll Band and a ballad like Nights in White Satin sound the same to you?

Or am I just feeding a troll here?

Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 00:34
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

They have 4 vocalists and 5 writers. How can it possibly all sound the same?

Does a rocksong like Singer in a Rock n Roll Band and a ballad like Nights in White Satin sound the same to you?

Or am I just feeding a troll here?

Yep, sound the same= same instrumentation, same production, same sound!

-------------

Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 01:23
I guess I'm getting the jist here. 'sounding' the same.

Just like all Jazz sounds the same and all heavy metal sounds the same ClapLOL

Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 01:26
Handshake

-------------

Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 01:37
But to quit the joking, I think there's a distinct difference between the different eras of the Moodies.

In the first album they were a R&B band. Totally different sound and approach (different vocalists aswell)

On the 'seven' albums they sound more or less the same. Heavy orchestrated, romantic psychedelic pop/rock, with either use of orchestra or mellotron. These 'seven' albums are all produced by Tony Clarke (you might say, he was the sixth Moodie) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Clarke_(record_producer)
He also produced the Blue Jays album, wich has (indeed) the same sound and approach as any Moody Blues album. And of course the first solo albums by Hayward and Lodge.

On the transitional album Octave they sound bland and dull. Standard keyboard sounds, no mellotron, no lush arrangments. Kinda middle-of-the road pop. Although it's also produced by Clarke, it has a different sound.

On the two major 80's albums (Long Distance Voyager and Present) they sound more like Barclay James Harvest and ELO. Because of Pip Williams (producer) and Patrick Moraz (synthesizer).

On the following albums they sound more like the Bee Gees. Drumcomputers, bass-sequencers, no more flute, danceable compositions, etc.

I don't know wich albums you have listened. But you're kind of right, that the Moodies stuck to a particular sound in their career. Although they changed 'sounds' over the years.

Of course there are the voices of Hayward and Lodge that has always played a major role in the sound of the band.

Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 01:45
Couldn't agree with you more- have most of their albums- all up to Long Distance Voyager and some some after including Present and a lot of the solo stuff including BlueJays and other Justin stuff- Wife loves them........Confused

Me I'm a Zappa fan...........

-------------

Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 01:57
Can you only be fan of one artist?

I like fusion stuff and weird stuff and experimental music. Also hugely enthousiastic about thrash- and deathmetal.

But I also love sentimental, nostalgic music like Al Stewart, Moody Blues and Neil Diamond.

Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 02:13
Just not Moody Blues and Genesis, Fan of most else Particularly Zappa of course and King Crimson

-------------

Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 04:08
John Lodge. His falsetto vocals are mostly annoying.
His first solo album - Natural Avenue - has a beaut Roger Dean artwork - is it even remotely Prog - NO !! Couldn't be any more Pop-Rock schlock. Disappointing !!

Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 04:09
So, the more experimental stuff.

To return the favor: I tried, and I tried and I tried, but there isn't a single Zappa album I can really, fully enjoy.

Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 04:10
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

John Lodge. His falsetto vocals are mostly annoying.
His first solo album - Natural Avenue - has a beaut Roger Dean artwork - is it even remotely Prog - NO !! Couldn't be any more Pop-Rock schlock. Disappointing !!

Yeah, Hayward always my favorite, and the more romantic/nostalgic Ray Thomas.

Moody Blues were always the sum of the parts. Because the songs Lodge wrote for the band, weren't always bad. Although I prefer the Hayward-songs. 

Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 04:21

So, the more experimental stuff.

To return the favor: I tried, and I tried and I tried, but there isn't a single Zappa album I can really, fully enjoy.

As long as you tried, thats all cool.Smile

Wife doesn't like Zappa at all. We have a house rules I don't play Zappa - where she can hear it and she does not play Celine Dion................ The arch Enemy of all good music loversEmbarrassed 

-------------

Date Posted: September 30 2016 at 02:25
Yep - Lodge can write great tunes no doubt, ha is a very competent bassist too, but his falsetto vocal is lame........
The problem here is - he sports the classy P-Bass 'bottom-end with boggy tone' sound. His playing is quite understated whilst he plays some quite complex bass-lines along with the respective songs.   These guys played exquisitely but without the 'pomp and flash' that the future Prog-bands displayed.
I don't know why, but when I listen to Send Me No Wine, John's bass reminds me of what Geddy Lee plays in Xanadu.
........just those rolling scales....

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 14:46
As is the case with the best threads on the site, this one has led me to start re-exploring this great band's back catalogue. Seventh Sojourn is on as I write this post, which I must get around to review (actually, I must get around to reviewing again, full stop), a lovely understated gem of an album.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 15:21

Just not Moody Blues and Genesis, Fan of most else Particularly Zappa of course and King Crimson

And yet here you are on a Moodys appreciation thread with nothing important to say.

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 15:51
Sorry Timothy I seem to have updet you, somehow..............................

Got any good LSD!

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 16:29
I would have to say my favorites are Days of Future Past, On a Threshold of a Dream, In Search of a Lost Chord and Seventh Sojourn. Having seen them several times back in the day, I would also say they put on great concerts. I've seen them twice featuring symphonies and the shows were unforgettable. 

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 16:44

Sorry Timothy I seem to have updet you, somehow..............................

Got any good LSD!

Still nothing important to say

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 17:12
My you are a serious one............... I never have anything important to say, as that would be boastful and ignorant in present company...........

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 17:18
There are always going to be those who post negatively in an appreciation thread. Then there are the ones who keep posting in the thread after their initial negativity. I suppose it is an attention seeking ploy.

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 17:26
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

There are always going to be those who post negatively in an appreciation thread. Then there are the ones who keep posting in the thread after their initial negativity. I suppose it is an attention seeking ploy.

When someone spouts inconsequential nonsense, it's best to ignore them. Or insult the hell out of them. Either or.

In any case, here's an interesting bit of trivia: On the Threshold of a Dream was the first Moody Blues album to go to #1 in the UK, but the single "Never Comes the Day" was a sales flop. Which begs the question, what marketing genius decided that "Never Comes the Day" would be a better single than "Lovely to See You Again", which got a hell of a lot of airplay in the U.S. even though it wasn't a single?

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 17:53
Didn't the Moddy's sing Timothy Leary's Dead................

If you read the post's you will see it was a legitimate debate which was contributed to by other posters and was exploring the stages of Moody's music for better or worse.......... and my Wifes liking of them!

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 18:06

If you read the post's you will see it was a legitimate debate which was contributed to by other posters and was exploring the stages of Moody's music for better or worse.......... and my Wifes liking of them!

Actually, no, I don't see any relevance in your continued participation in this appreciation thread. We got that you don't like them. Prattling on about how you prefer Zappa or Crimson, and that your wife is the only one with any common sense in your family does not make for interesting conversation.

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 21:33
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Actually, no, I don't see any relevance in your continued participation in this appreciation thread. We got that you don't like them. Prattling on about how you prefer Zappa or Crimson, and that your wife is the only one with any common sense in your family does not make for interesting conversation.

Nasty Nasty Nasty. 

Well actually they did- heard it enough times to know the bloody lyrics go (seeing you said No)-

"Timothy Leary's dead.
No, no, no, no, He's outside looking in.
Timothy Leary's dead.
No, no, no, no, He's outside looking in.
He'll fly his astral plane,
Takes you trips around the bay,
Brings you back the same day,
Timothy Leary. Timothy Leary."

Some Moody's fan you are.......

You can  Prattle all you like with your responses, water of a #ucks back...... and you don't even know Moody's lyrics shame on you!

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 21:43
hey I like the Moodies!!Thumbs Up

but I love train wreck threads even more...Clap

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 21:48
I enjoy Days of Future Passed and LDV.  But I actually haven't heard a whole lot of the other early albums.  Just haven't gotten to them yet, something to look forward to!

Days is so great though, it has that really naive experimental 60s vibe. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 21:52
On The Threshold of a Dream is my non DoFP Moodies fav Jim.  Great stuff..

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 21:56
Thanks Mick.  So how different are those post Days albums, the next 6?  I always assumed they were similar sounding albums but are they? 

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 22:05
here is a much better breakdown of their albums than I could do Jim. Especially as I am about to hit the sheets.

great website by the way if you haven't seen it.

http://www.johnmcferrinmusicreviews.org/mb.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.johnmcferrinmusicreviews.org/mb.html

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 22:07
Yeah that was a potentially time consuming questionLOL

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 22:09
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Yeah that was a potentially time consuming questionLOL

BeerHeart

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 22:11
Gnite man!

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 22:17

Gnite man!

and to you sir! So I'm off.. have to go into working tomorrow morning. Boo for me. So with this in my ears I bid adieu.. I had the instant urge to put this on before heading to bed hahah

awesome...

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 22:21
Jim, I will take up the mantle a bit while Micky sleeps.  Personally, while I acknowledge that "On the Threshold of a Dream" is one of the "big seven", it's the only one that just doesn't resonate with me.  Half the songs sound like holdovers from their R&B period!  The exceptions are "Lovely to See You", "Never Comes the Day", and the Dream/Voyage.  "Dear Diary" doesn't do it for me, and "So Deep within you" sounds like the Doors!

The main difference with the albums after DOFP is that none of them used the orchestra.  They went all mellotron crazy, and somehow I think their impact is greater, less precious.  "In Search of the Lost Chord" removed any doubts as to whether they could do make it without the orchestra, and I would recommend picking it up next.  In fact, moving chronologically thru them makes the most sense.  "To Our Children's Children's Children" is also brilliant, with the first side made up of multiple mostly short songs.

They tended to start albums with long spoken parts, but dispensed with that with the final 3, "Question fo Balance", "Every Good Boy Deserves Favour", and "Seventh Sojourn", which bareky have a duff track between the three of them.  Stiil very psychedelic and ballad heavy at that stage, they really had a way with melody.  While they were groundbreaking, some prog fans tend to dismiss them due to their general adherence to conventional song structures and minimal instrumental flourishes.  Pop fans thought they were too serious for hit singles.  Yet they were one of the bigger selling bands of their time.

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 22:28

You can  Prattle all you like with your responses, water of a #ucks back...... and you don't even know Moody's lyrics shame on you!
When you type, do you actually consider the words that you peck out? Or is it more akin to simply closing your eyes and letting spell check aid you with words beyond monosyllables?

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 22:41
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Jim, I will take up the mantle a bit while Micky sleeps.  Personally, while I acknowledge that "On the Threshold of a Dream" is one of the "big seven", it's the only one that just doesn't resonate with me.  Half the songs sound like holdovers from their R&B period!  The exceptions are "Lovely to See You", "Never Comes the Day", and the Dream/Voyage.  "Dear Diary" doesn't do it for me, and "So Deep within you" sounds like the Doors!

While I appreciate your post, I think you do a disservice to On the Threshold of a Dream. If one considers the sequence of Are You Sitting Comfortably/The Dream/Have You Heard (Part I)/The Voyage/Have You Heard (Part II) as an 11 minute-long suite (and after about a thousand listens, I find that sequence to be indivisible), you have, in January, 1969, a true prog composition (not proto-prog, mind you) complete with extensive mellotron predating ItCotCK by 10 months.

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 22:47
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

When you type, do you actually consider the words that you peck out? Or is it more akin to simply closing your eyes and letting spell check aid you with words beyond monosyllables?

uh der D'oh stand Bow tie da dy

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 22:47
Thanks guys, I'm going to dig into them a bit on YT when I have a chance.   Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 23:38
For me nothing compares to Days. But I learned to like Children ... Cheesy sometimes, but all in all an excellent album. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: October 02 2016 at 06:11
The final three of the 'magnificent seven' are more rock based. They have a more raw feel, a 'live' feel.
What I mean to say, is that the songs are more suitable to play live on stage, less instruments used, etc.

The 'rockiest' songs they recorded are on those three albums (Every Good Boy Deserves Favour, Question of Balance and my favorite The Seventh Sojourn).

When you listen closely to the Moodies, you notice a lot of tempo- and stylistic chances within songs. If that isn't progressive, I wouldn't know what is.

True, they have the tendency for piano- and acoustic guitar balladry, but hey; they are just a bunch of melancholy men.

Date Posted: October 02 2016 at 06:24

Thanks guys, I'm going to dig into them a bit on YT when I have a chance.   Thumbs Up

it will time well spent Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: October 04 2016 at 02:05
I'm not a big fan of compilation albums, especially when a band is concept based.
But The Moodies have one of the best compilation albums ever made.
The even managed to let songs flow into eachother wich are from totally different albums.
Wich makes this compilation an entity of its own. I can't even imagine no-one like this album.
Enjoy it here:

Date Posted: October 04 2016 at 11:36

I'm not a big fan of compilation albums, especially when a band is concept based.
The even managed to let songs flow into eachother wich are from totally different albums.
Wich makes this compilation an entity of its own. I can't even imagine no-one like this album.
Enjoy it here:

I had that one on LP back in the day.  It was remarkable how well songs from unrelated albums were juxtaposed together.  It even has one of Pinders' best songs, "A Simple Game", which was never released on an original LP.  However,to me a not insignificant flaw is that EGBDF is only represented by one song, "Story in your eyes".  For several years I steered clear of that album as a result, even though I think it's great now

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: October 04 2016 at 12:13
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Enjoy it here:

I had that one on LP back in the day.  It was remarkable how well songs from unrelated albums were juxtaposed together.  It even has one of Pinders' best songs, "A Simple Game", which was never released on an original LP.  However,to me a not insignificant flaw is that EGBDF is only represented by one song, "Story in your eyes".  For several years I steered clear of that album as a result, even though I think it's great now

Absolutely agree. EGBDF is a fine album.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: October 05 2016 at 00:00
^ & ^^ & ^^^      The very comp. album my sister has since around 1987 - and the collection that convinced me to buy the 'classic 7'.   Compilations (sometimes) serve their purpose !!

Posted By: Scorpius
Date Posted: January 23 2017 at 19:48
Glad to find a Moody Blues appreciation thread, this band deserves much more than it gets. I was named after Justin Hayward, so I have always felt a strong emotional connection to this band. I saw him live when he came into town; my first concert and one of my favorites to date. As for albums, my favorites are Childrens Childrens Children, Question of Balance, Threshold, and of course DOFP. My favorite tracks would be Peak hour, Candle of Life, Watching and Waiting, White Satin, Dont you feel small?, and I never thought i would live to be a hundred/million. Great band.

-------------
The most dangerous man in America.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: January 23 2017 at 20:35
I know they aren't listed that way on here but in my opinion they were mostly a proto prog band. I don't feel they ever really evolved into a full blown prog band in the strictest sense but that's just my opinion. The focus tended to be mostly on the songwriting. They were great songwriters though so there's really nothing wrong with that. In fact they were arguably the best next to the Beatles(again imo). One of my favorite all time bands so it doesn't matter that much to me. Still, they were an influence on prog rock and certainly played music that paved the way for future prog bands. My favorite albums are long distance voyager, days of future passed, to our children's children's children and on the threshold of a dream. A question of balance was very good too.

Date Posted: January 24 2017 at 02:11
In my opinion Barclay James Harvest, Moody Blues and Beatles were a different kind of prog.
A more vocal-based prog. Beautiful melodies, that were almost never used in prog since.

The only bands that used such beautiful melodies were Queen, Abba, etc. and other pop bands.

Also the use of mellotron, classical and eastern instruments makes them kind of psychedelic, wich is a prog-sub genre. But I agree that the three bands I named were more of a influence to progmusic than full blown prog.
But apparently I'm not all that into progrock, because most bands I like are protoprog, crossover prog or prog-related, except for Camel and Gentle Giant.

Date Posted: January 24 2017 at 02:25
Really, after the passing of such an amazing drummer.........
Jaki............:::::
Yeah, I never knew him personally, though, from what his drumming ideals were - he knew what to do..... I reckon (how do you spell that????) he knew extreme drumming before it was 'in vogue'. Double kick is the MASTER !!!
:.....Jaki knew this.........
I love Can.   
......anybody seen this Snowman ???? (Well, that's what it sounds like to me.......)
sh*t........::::: I'm posting on the wrong thread - expected from such a dumb-f**k like me.....sorry........love The Moodies, love Can. A piece of my Heart breaks when we lose an amazing musician that means a lot me/us. Dunno wot to say...........

Date Posted: January 24 2017 at 03:10

Really, after the passing of such an amazing drummer.........
Jaki............:::::
Yeah, I never knew him personally, though, from what his drumming ideals were - he knew what to do..... I reckon (how do you spell that????) he knew extreme drumming before it was 'in vogue'. Double kick is the MASTER !!!
:.....Jaki knew this.........
I love Can.   
......anybody seen this Snowman ???? (Well, that's what it sounds like to me.......)
sh*t........::::: I'm posting on the wrong thread - expected from such a dumb-f**k like me.....sorry........love The Moodies, love Can. A piece of my Heart breaks when we lose an amazing musician that means a lot me/us. Dunno wot to say...........

Wrong thread, brother...

Date Posted: January 24 2017 at 03:21
^ Yeah, thanks man. That's what Vodka does to you mid-week..... You know I love Can and Moodies since my teen-years.............

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: January 25 2017 at 11:44

^ Yeah, thanks man. That's what Vodka does to you mid-week..... You know I love Can and Moodies since my teen-years.............

Me Too!!!!!!!!!!!Clap

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk