Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=110454
Printed Date: May 20 2024 at 07:41
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mid 80s Mediocrity?
Posted By: Flight123
Subject: Mid 80s Mediocrity?
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 07:34
In the mid-80s prog desert, which album brought the most relief?

Replies:
Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 07:51
I think the `E.L.Powell' is the best thing "ELP" did after `Brian Salad Surgery', the Genesis one is an OK 80's pop/rock album, but I don't really know the King Crimson one all that well, I simply haven't listened to it enough at this point. I've never listened to that Tull one.

About half of `Momentary Lapse...' is good (and probably to be fair the album is perfectly listenable all the way through), but it's just so lifeless and overproduced to within an inch of its life.

But I have a massive soft spot for Yes' `Big Generator' and think it's simply a cool rock album, so that will get my vote here!

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 07:58
Crimso, although Bill was said not to understand it.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 08:00
KC!!!

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 08:04
While I'm rather fond of A Momentary Lapse of Floyd, I voted for Crust of a Knave as that certainly brought a smile to my face when I first heard it back in the day.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 08:12
There's no mediocrity on Three of a Perfect Pair. Great stuff, the whole early 80s trilogy.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 08:16
Hard to choose between Three of a Perfect Pair and Crest of a Knave. No, I'm not sure. I'll update this when I decide. In the meantime, there actually were some things with quality music and genuine experimentation in the mid-80s if one digs for it enough:

Frank Zappa - Them or Us
Frank Zappa - Meets the Mothers of Prevention
Frank Zappa - Jazz From Hell
Adrian Belew - Desire Caught By the Tail
Henry Kaiser, Fred Frith - With Enemies Like These Who Needs Friends?
Henry Kaiser - Devil in the Drain
French, Frith, Kaiser and Thompson - Live, Love, Larf and Loaf
David Torn - Cloud About Mercury
Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 08:20
THE BEST mid-80s album by the way is this:
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=12588

Posted By: mechanicalflattery
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 08:36
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I keep forgetting I have that album! Jeez I need to get around to that one. If Camberwell Now is to This Heat what O.rang was to Talk Talk (just listened to Herd of Instinct last week for the first time and fell in love)... Thanks for the reminder anyway. 

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 08:43
I'll vote with some hesitation for ELPowell.

If you read my review of that album on PA, I was pretty harsh, but my re-appraisal is slightly more favourable. There is some drek on that album, but some gems too.

Big Generator is very weak. MLOR is average. Invisible Touch isn't prog, so doesn't count. It was a mostly awful time for the old bands.

I liked 80's KC, but TOAPP - apart from the title track, just irritates me. It sounds like they ran out of ideas very early on.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 09:48

I might organise an alternative poll for 30 years gone - there's also the neo-prog brigade getting their act together then as well

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 10:27
TOAPP is the obvious odd duck in this row and my vote getter.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 10:38
Jethro Tull - 'Crest of a Knave'

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 11:08
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

I might organise an alternative poll for 30 years gone - there's also the neo-prog brigade getting their act together then as well

I voted for 1984's Three of a Perfect Pair.

I've never heard Camberwell Now, but if I were to choose one from 1986 based on my too limited knowledge, it would be Shub-Niggurath's Les Morts Vont Vite.

My favourite of thirty years ago (1987) would be Art Zoyd's Berlin, and of 1984 (the year of Three of a Perfect Pair) it may be Yog Sothoth.

The 80s was a terrific decade for RIO/Avant, but also has many gems from other categories. Not that familiar with Neo Prog of the time as I never found much to appeal to me from the category from other times. Perhaps your alternative poll will be an ear-opening experience for me should you do it.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 11:54
Crest of a Knave has some good prog bits on it, which is more than I can say for any of the rest. Invisible Touch is a good pop album, though.

** I missed A Momentary Lapse of Reason, which also has some great stuff on it!!!!!**

Head and shoulders the best release from any of the old prog bands in the mid 80s was Stationary Traveller. I didn't really appreciate how good it was when released, but now I think it's stunning.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 12:01
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Head and shoulders the best release from any of the old prog bands in the mid 80s was Stationary Traveller. I didn't really appreciate how good it was when released, but now I think it's stunning.

It IS a good album! Question, though, Herc, did it make you appreciate `The Single Factor' any more?

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 13:13
Crest of a Knave is the best choice for me. Three of a Perfect Pair is quite good as well

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 13:29
Big Generator

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 14:30
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

It IS a good album! Question, though, Herc, did it make you appreciate `The Single Factor' any more?

Yes. It's a much better album than I thought at the time. He managed to gather a really talented bunch of musicians and vocalists.

I particularly liked Chris Harley's vocals (Chris Rainbow's real name). It always amazed me how someone with such a severe stammer could disappear when he sang. Of course, he is probably best known for producing Runrig and singing backing vocals on their immortal Loch Lomond concert.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 14:52
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I liked 80's KC, but TOAPP - apart from the title track, just irritates me. It sounds like they ran out of ideas very early on.

Exactly, and Discipline is so much better.

CoaK fer me.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 15:19
"Crest of a Knave" and "Three of a Perfect Pair" of this list.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 16:11

There's no mediocrity on Three of a Perfect Pair. Great stuff, the whole early 80s trilogy.

Thumbs Up

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 16:12
I voted for KC, but I like EL&Powell just as much. Crest is also very good. Lapse is a fine Gilmour-Floyd record. BG is cool, too.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Cambus741
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 16:21
What on Earth is Crest of a Knave doing here????
it is an excellent album

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 17:14
I voted for Big Generator since I have a soft spot for it and also I think it gets unfairly maligned these days. 

Anyway, I don't know if all of these are prog in the strictest sense but imo none of these are bad. I like them all.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 19:36

I think you are right in the sense that of all the great 70's prog bands---they reinvented themselves in the 80's and maintained their arty credibility---and didn't make mediocre AOR arena rock like some others did.

Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 19:52
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I think you are right in the sense that of all the great 70's prog bands---they reinvented themselves in the 80's and maintained their arty credibility---and didn't make mediocre AOR arena rock like some others did.

They were never an aor arena rock band to begin with. Some of the others on the list were much closer to that then they were. In my opinion though aor and or arena rock does not automatically equal garbage. Call me crazy but I like other stuff besides just hard core prog. Confused

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 21:40
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

They were never an aor arena rock band to begin with. Some of the others on the list were much closer to that then they were. In my opinion though aor and or arena rock does not automatically equal garbage. Call me crazy but I like other stuff besides just hard core prog. Confused

a lot of people feel the way you do---I like a lot of other types of music otherthan prog but aor isn't one of them--I mean 80's Yes isn't something I listen to very often and I love Yes. But agree that Big Gen is underrated and better than other Yes west.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 21:44
'Yes west' ?

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 22:06
For the people who invoked Chris Rainbow and Camel previously, I just want to say:

Man I miss Chris (Harley) Rainbow.  I practically burned holes into his solo albums.  I have my Alan Parsons/Camel playlist of everything he sang on.  He is sorely missed.  RIP

-------------
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: March 08 2017 at 00:01
KC obviously and some groups which did not consider punk rock as a step backwards. I think especially of Henry who let its Cow go out of its field, grazing its leather in barbed wires.

Date Posted: March 08 2017 at 04:18
Although the Cow disbanded in 78!  Mind you, plenty of its ex-members had enough projects on the go...

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: March 08 2017 at 04:41
ELPowell was rather good (and my choice in this incomplete list),  and Knave a distant second (mainly Budapest)
But (RIO excluded) the best mid-80's prog album is definitely Supertramp's Brother Where You Bound? !!!

I second spot, I'd include Dire Straits' Love Over Gold.

Date Posted: March 08 2017 at 04:49
Although the Cow disbanded in 78!  Mind you, plenty of its ex-members had enough projects on the go...

Of course I was talking of the members of Cow. 

Date Posted: March 08 2017 at 04:50
^Apologies!!

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: March 08 2017 at 05:22
Of all of these, Invisible Touch had the most plays in the car stereo, followed by Yes and Floyd, so it gets the nod.
All had their moments. Can't say I've actually listened to any of them in their entirety since the 90's.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Date Posted: March 08 2017 at 06:50

Well for me personally the trilogy is top notch by any standard, not just because they didn't do what the others (?) did.

Then in 1980 I was 13, so the 80s had a big big influence on my taste anyway, and I don't feel as negative about this decade in general as people who grew as naturally into the 70s. That said I hated Invisible Touch and couldn't make much of the other offers in this poll already at the time.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: March 08 2017 at 13:28
Floyd

followed by

Tull

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 08 2017 at 18:18
Excellent Crest

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2017 at 21:37

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

a lot of people feel the way you do---I like a lot of other types of music otherthan prog but aor isn't one of them--I mean 80's Yes isn't something I listen to very often and I love Yes. But agree that Big Gen is underrated and better than other Yes west.

Fair enough. I grew up listening to rock radio before getting into prog so I heard Journey, Boston, Foreigner, Styx and Led Zeppelin among others before I got into prog. 

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: March 14 2017 at 04:56
Nothing (mediocre) to see here. Crest is a brilliant production (best ever?) with fine material. KC is as brilliant as ever. Invisible Touch (especially when reconstituted is fine. Big Generator gets the vote as not only do I like the music as much as I dislike the cover (s) it gets a bad rep usually I feel for political purposes. Shoot High is too good to miss. I think I'll trust Squire's leadership here. ELPowell... kudos for keeping on and a good album. Pink Floyd had a pretty good album material wise. I must admit to a curiosity here. Apparently DG's first effort was rejected by EMI before Momentary Lapse was accepted. Wonder if that would make a good set of bonus material...

Fine music and very well crafted. Well done guys.

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: March 14 2017 at 12:14
Floyd, although the Tull album is good too.

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: March 14 2017 at 12:59
KC easily

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 15 2017 at 18:03
Kate Bush Hounds Of Love. Given these choices-Crimson.

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: July 21 2017 at 12:45
Tull. I actually like Crest of a Knave alot even though it's know always a favorite among Tull fans.

The thing about the 80's was everyone was trying to streamline what they were doing to be more commercially viable. Rush & Genesis probably adapted best to the 80's enjoying a good deal of success . Yes & Tull had moments with 90125 & Crest of a Knave.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: July 23 2017 at 07:27

agreed. and I always liked it, from day 1
a totally successful reinventing of their sound while still respecting their fans

Date Posted: July 23 2017 at 07:44
Résultat de recherche dimages pour "prefab swoon"Résultat de recherche dimages pour "prefab steve mcqueen"

Posted By: noni
Date Posted: July 23 2017 at 07:49
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Lots of great Neo bands emerged from the 80s and still producing albums.  One great band that stopped were Twelfth Night!..Cry

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: July 23 2017 at 08:01
^^ Steve McQueen is sheer brilliance, one of my favourite albums of the eighties.

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Posted By: Queen By-Tor
Date Posted: July 23 2017 at 10:48
Hold Your Fire by Rush

but barring that as an option I threw mine in for Crimson. I always had a soft spot for that album.

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: July 23 2017 at 10:58
Of the choices on offer, ToaPP. My first KC album as a teenager and I've remained fond of it.

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: July 23 2017 at 15:10
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Nothing (mediocre) to see here. Crest is a brilliant production (best ever?) with fine material. KC is as brilliant as ever. Invisible Touch (especially when reconstituted is fine. Big Generator gets the vote as not only do I like the music as much as I dislike the cover (s) it gets a bad rep usually I feel for political purposes. Shoot High is too good to miss. I think I'll trust Squire's leadership here. ELPowell... kudos for keeping on and a good album. Pink Floyd had a pretty good album material wise. I must admit to a curiosity here. Apparently DG's first effort was rejected by EMI before Momentary Lapse was accepted. Wonder if that would make a good set of bonus material...

Fine music and very well crafted. Well done guys.

Clearly the worsts of the list are Generator & Touch... both really awful, but Lapse Of Reason equally sucks

Crest has really only Budapest and one other track, but otherwise, it's not good (but a serious improvement on Ubnder Wraps)... Some keep mentionning Tull sounding like Straits, but the opening and closing tracks sound like ZZ Top...

From this list, the one album that is  rather good is ELPowell (and I'm not much a fan of ELP in general)

One album missing from that list is Supertramp's Brother Where You Bound, which by a margin the best album from a 70's prog band.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 27 2018 at 17:35
Three of a Perfect Pair.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk