Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112041
Printed Date: May 06 2024 at 16:08
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Endless Dream vs Home by the Sea
Posted By: Dellinger
Subject: Endless Dream vs Home by the Sea
Date Posted: October 02 2017 at 20:40
I think these are the two best pop-prog songs from each band from their pop periods/line-ups, and show a perfect way to blend prog with the times when they were written. Which one do you prefer?

Replies:
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: October 02 2017 at 20:51
I don't consider Endless Dream pop prog by a long shot. That's like saying "awaken" or "close to the edge" are pop prog. HBTS on the other hand well..........

Regardless I voted for ED. No contest for me.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: October 02 2017 at 20:58
Home By The Sea for me !!
Nothing on Talk really did anything for me.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: October 02 2017 at 21:05
Home

-------------

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: October 02 2017 at 22:13
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I don't consider Endless Dream pop prog by a long shot. That's like saying "awaken" or "close to the edge" are pop prog. HBTS on the other hand well..........

Regardless I voted for ED. No contest for me.

Agreed!

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: October 03 2017 at 01:42
Endless Dream is not pop/prog. It's classic prog rock without a doubt.

Home by the Sea is listenable, but it's no match for this Yes classic. Yes get the vote here without hesitation.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: October 03 2017 at 03:38
I choose to join the choir that would not call Endless Dream "pop-prog", a qualification that fits the two Homes by the Sea way better.

Nevertheless I vote for Genesis. I have always liked Homes by the Sea. Endless Dream has some really fine moments, but it sounds rather incoherent to my ears. If I want to hear what a post-heyday Yes epic should sound like, I'd pick Druckfarben's https://druckfarben.bandcamp.com/track/second-sound" rel="nofollow - Second Sound instead.

-------------

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: October 03 2017 at 03:47
I cannot believe that I voted for post Hackett Genesis, but Home by the Sea is very good.

Talk is fairly forgettable from beginning to end.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 03 2017 at 04:04
I will generally always vote for Genesis over Yes and sure enough here I did...but Endless Dream was one of the first latter-day Yes tunes that resonated with me. Still no match for Home By The Sea.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 03 2017 at 05:31
Just spinning Genesis s/t. Thought I'd mention that
Mama is AMAZING !!

Date Posted: October 03 2017 at 05:35
[If I want to hear what a post-heyday Yes epic should sound like, I'd pick Druckfarben's  https://druckfarben.bandcamp.com/track/second-sound" rel="nofollow - Second Sound instead.]

Wow. For a second there I thought you were going to say "Mind Drive" or "Homeworld(the ladder)." Smile

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: October 03 2017 at 05:54
Both are ok for me. Nothing special, but not bad. It's a tie.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: October 03 2017 at 06:55
Genesis gets the nod on this round.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: October 03 2017 at 07:36
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

This----didn't like Talk either--for me Big Generator is Yes west best---the pop songs are well written and the few proggish songs are decent----on ED Rabin does his typical guitar riffs---there are some nice moments but I love Banks and his keyboard work on Home by the Sea

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 03 2017 at 08:08
the Genesis suite

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: October 03 2017 at 08:59
Endless Dream for me.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: October 03 2017 at 09:54
"HBTS"...easily. I like that album. I'm never been a fan of Talk.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 03 2017 at 10:13
I guess Yes, but it's really a pass all around. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: October 03 2017 at 21:24
Oh man. Last I saw Endless Dream was winning comfortably enough, now it's clearly loosing. I guess I give a slight preference to it, though I do love them both. Some of the post 70's songs from a 70's band that I would put along with their 70's classics.

Date Posted: October 04 2017 at 17:58
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

This----didn't like Talk either--for me Big Generator is Yes west best---the pop songs are well written and the few proggish songs are decent----on ED Rabin does his typical guitar riffs---there are some nice moments but I love Banks and his keyboard work on Home by the Sea
Banks mostly plays with great taste in mind. This 2 parter is a great example. This was the first Genesis album I heard back in '86 (along with Invisible Touch) - I preferred it to IT after the first listen of each. I love this 'Shapes' album (side 1 more than side 2) and hold my regard of it being a respectable, 80's X-over Prog album.

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: October 05 2017 at 05:58
Endless Dream hands down.  

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: May 15 2018 at 02:14
Creeping up the blindside, sheening up the wall; moving through the dark of night...

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: May 15 2018 at 11:21
A rare vote for Collins-era Genesis from me. A strong late-period highlight.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: May 16 2018 at 08:06
Both are awful (except the first 90 seconds of Endless Dream.)

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: May 16 2018 at 20:42
any song with a long Banks solo is ok by me---Endless nightmare isn't my thing---that whole album is meh

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: September 29 2023 at 18:23
Home by the Sea. My pants are determined to handle all this meatloaf, scrambled eggs, trash trucks, and semi-arid mountain ranges.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: September 29 2023 at 22:26
always liked Endless Dream and Talk as a whole. It's a poppy proggy affair, very nicely produced and gave the Victory music label a nice boost until ELP eventually brought it down with ITHS.

I have virtually zero interest in Genesis studio albums post Duke. I still don't own 'Genesis', IT or WCD. They all have some good tracks but mosytly don't care and the 80's ones are made worse by having the very typical plastic production style of the time which I dislike. The Way We Walk 'The Longs' does have more acceptable live versions of their best 80's and 90's stuff. Play HBTS and Domino  loud and the floor rocks! Much more fun than their anaemic studio efforts.

Date Posted: September 30 2023 at 23:07
^ Indeed I mostly listen to the live versions of the 80's Genesis songs, if they exist. They sound more alive, less controled, less manufactured. Specially with the drums.

Posted By: Steve Wyzard
Date Posted: October 02 2023 at 13:39
I voted for "Home by the Sea/Second Home by the Sea" only because I've never liked that little "televangelist" bit that Trevor Rabin throws in just because he knew he could get away with it! The rest of "Endless Dream" is flawless.

Date Posted: October 02 2023 at 14:56
We're prog fans so this probably doesn't mean much but the self titled Genesis album sold over 4 million copies and Talk sold maybe 200,000 (if that). Both US sales.

Posted By: Frets N Worries
Date Posted: October 02 2023 at 19:13
I enjoyed Genesis much more than I did TALK, and even as songs, Home by the Sea is better

-------------
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: October 03 2023 at 02:45
HbtS for purely nostalgic reasons and I enjoy both, although I have to admit I have neither of these pieces in my collection these days...

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 03 2023 at 08:56
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

We're prog fans so this probably doesn't mean much but the self titled Genesis album sold over 4 million copies and Talk sold maybe 200,000 (if that). Both US sales.

Well we know that Genesis were beginning to shift serious quantities at that time partly because of Phil Collins raised profile I imagine.

It seems that Yes and ELP between them managed to push Victory Music over the edge of the cliff in 1994.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk_%28Yes_album%29" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk_(Yes_album)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Hot_Seat" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Hot_Seat

Ouch

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: October 03 2023 at 12:26
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

I enjoyed Genesis much more than I did TALK, and even as songs, Home by the Sea is better
Yup Home By the Sea is really great songwriting and a memorable tune while for me Endless Really just a unlistenable mess disguised as "prog". The Genesis song feature the most advanced and sophisticated music really. 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk