Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112482
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 16:50
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Lou Reed or Roger Waters
Posted By: Icarium
Subject: Lou Reed or Roger Waters
Date Posted: December 18 2017 at 10:37
Two former members of bands whom paved away for underground music, and whom had same quirky and raw feel and boundry breaking sounds. From Velvet and Pink came new colours into the tapestry of music.

Which of these social conscious and awere gentlemen touches your heart string and make you think (reflect) on life.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: December 18 2017 at 10:47
Lou Reed (by far).

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: December 18 2017 at 11:28
Tough choice! Did want to go for Roger, but he didn't make one of the greatest albums of all time with Metallica.
"Lulu" fan represent! I even made a thread about it somewhere. Proper fusion of Rock and Poetry.
Yes, POETRY!! Not your watered down lyrics to fit the beat, full on rambling circulars.
So on "Lulu" Lou do.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: December 18 2017 at 11:49
First vote for Roger...I really like all his solo stuff but "Is This the Life We Really Want?" is a masterpiece Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: December 18 2017 at 12:00
Lou Reed for Metal Machine Music.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: December 18 2017 at 12:13
Lou Reed of course. Transformer, Berlin, Metal Machine Music, Street Hassle, New York, Songs For Drella, Hudson River Wind Meditations, the Creation of the Universe, Roger has never got even near of those albums greatness.

Posted By: mlkpad14
Date Posted: December 18 2017 at 16:24
Obviously Lou Reed.

-------------
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: December 18 2017 at 16:33
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Lou Reed of course. Transformer, Berlin, Metal Machine Music, Street Hassle, New York, Songs For Drella, Hudson River Wind Meditations, the Creation of the Universe, Roger has never got even near of those albums greatness.

You left out Rock n Roll Animal Otherwise I wholly agree with your sentiment.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: December 18 2017 at 17:52
Louie

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: December 18 2017 at 19:22
Okay, Reed by far.
I read your attempt to relate these very different (aware) musicians, but I think you might as well point out that each was also male, with two arms, two legs, and two eyes apiece, etc.

This poll really only determines who is more popular (or respected as an icon) among those who vote. Lou looms much larger in rock history.

BUT that doesn't mean his art is objectively "better" than Waters' or detract from Waters' legacy. I find the "competition" between these two highly dissimilar artists to be artificial and even unfair. Maybe put Waters up against an artist from a major, early Prog band who then went solo: like Steve Hackett or Peter Gabriel. That would make more sense. 🙂

Next: Beethoven vs Miles Davis vs Lady Gaya!🙃

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: December 18 2017 at 19:50
Lou Reed's solo career as a whole is definitely way better but Roger Water's Amused To Death has effected me more than any Reed, Velvet or Floyd album ever has.....eh, hard to choose.

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Date Posted: December 18 2017 at 22:23
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

You left out Rock n Roll Animal Otherwise I wholly agree with your sentiment.
I have never included R`n`R-animal to his greatest albums although I know it is respected. I think the reason is that nightclubbing band back of his. I prefer much more "Take No Prisoners", his postlive "American Poet" also even "Animal Serenade".

Date Posted: December 18 2017 at 22:29
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Okay, Reed by far.
I read your attempt to relate these very different (aware) musicians, but I think you might as well point out that each was also male, with two arms, two legs, and two eyes apiece, etc.

This poll really only determines who is more popular (or respected as an icon) among those who vote. Lou looms much larger in rock history.

BUT that doesn't mean his art is objectively "better" than Waters' or detract from Waters' legacy. I find the "competition" between these two highly dissimilar artists to be artificial and even unfair. Maybe put Waters up against an artist from a major, early Prog band who then went solo: like Steve Hackett or Peter Gabriel. That would make more sense. 🙂

Next: Beethoven vs Miles Davis vs Lady Gaya!🙃
I disagree. Louīs art is just much more better than Rogerīs. Of course itīs true, any of Floydīs solo artists arenīt as popular as Lou Reed or John Cale as a solo artist. But I think in this forum people vote just the reason of art, not popularity. Also I hadīt put these two towards, Reed and Cale would have been much more interesting competition. Or maybe Reed and Barrett?

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: December 18 2017 at 22:58
waters 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: December 19 2017 at 03:19
Waters gets the edge.

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: December 19 2017 at 03:56
Roger, without a flinch............

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: December 19 2017 at 07:12
Lou Reed easily...

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: December 22 2017 at 08:20
Where's that confounded neither button....?

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk