Print Page | Close Window

Music Selection For Radio

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11431
Printed Date: June 02 2024 at 12:29
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Music Selection For Radio
Posted By: uriah561
Subject: Music Selection For Radio
Date Posted: September 12 2005 at 17:15

Hey,

Anybody out there have any recommendations for selecting music for a college campus radio station.  It's free form and non-commercial (ie no popular songs or popular artists).  I'm starting a new job being an on-air DJ and trying to find variouis styles of music to play on the radio.

-------------
Robert G.
Chicago, Illinois

Replies:
Posted By: Paradox
Date Posted: September 12 2005 at 17:26
May i reccomend Yes - Close To The Edge?

-------------

Date Posted: September 12 2005 at 21:06

Thanks, Paradox! I love that song. Any other suggestions?

-------------
Robert G.
Chicago, Illinois

Posted By: hypergeek
Date Posted: September 13 2005 at 17:58

Well, since it's radio I'm assumin it would have to be vaguely poppy at least so:

Devin Townsend - Slow Me Down . Christeen . Earth Day . Life . War . Wild Colonial Boy

Frank Zappa - Son Of Mr Green Genes . Wonderful Wino . Watermelons In The Easter Hay

I'm assuming other people can suggets better things than me, I'm a wee bit too drunk for this right now.

-------------
All Hail The New Flesh!!

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: September 14 2005 at 14:24
try out a bit of Spock's Beard...espcially the shorter stuff from 'V'.  That should go down well enough to convert a few...

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Date Posted: September 14 2005 at 15:19
Great suggestions, man!  Keep 'em coming!

-------------
Robert G.
Chicago, Illinois

Posted By: Zac M
Date Posted: September 14 2005 at 15:42
Try some Soft Machine, it should do the trick

-------------
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: September 16 2005 at 13:47
Anything from "Dark Matter" by IQ or the new ones from Glass Hammer and Pendragon.

Posted By: The Hemulen
Date Posted: September 16 2005 at 13:59
ALAMAAILMAN VASARAT. Zany, unusual but very very listenable. Ideal for a quirky radio show.

Posted By: The Hemulen
Date Posted: September 16 2005 at 14:00
Oh, and include some Gentle Giant.

Obviously.

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: September 16 2005 at 14:01
Squeeze some heavy stuff in there that doesn't see a lot of radio play,like Opeth and Meshuggah.

-------------

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: September 16 2005 at 16:02

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Squeeze some heavy stuff in there that doesn't see a lot of radio play,like Opeth and Meshuggah.

I agreed with the Opeth part, even though I wouldn't want to play a lot of Meshuggah...

Date Posted: September 16 2005 at 18:56

Yeah, man. Great comments.  Keep 'em coming.

By the way, anybody know some good Frank Zappa tunes to play on the air (the station plays a lot of it).  I own only two so far (Freak Out and We're Only In It For The Money).  Any good FZ highlights?

-------------
Robert G.
Chicago, Illinois

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: September 16 2005 at 19:03

Peaches En Regalia   

Anyways, try playing some stuff off The new Flower Kings album, some of those songs like Adam and Eve and A Vampire's View are perfect for radio! (Even though a bit long)

Posted By: kingofbizzare
Date Posted: September 16 2005 at 23:41

Definately some Zappa. Over-Nite Sensation has some pretty commercial (yet still very complex) tunes on it. We're Only in it For the Money is one of my favorite Zappa albums, but it wouldn't work well for radio play.

You should try some Tull. Aside from Thick as a Brick and A Passion Play, most of it is fairly radio-friendly. Show everybody that there's more to Tull than Aqualung and Locomotive Breath. I'd suggest some stuff from Songs from the Wood or Heavy Horses.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/kingofbizzare/?chartstyle=asimpleblue5">

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: September 17 2005 at 06:39
Having done this for 25 years, the best suggestion is not to frighten your punters too quickly with music they are unfamiliar. Gentle them in, don't have too many consequetive tracks which sound to the unaware the same. In other words keep varying the styles. Don't use the word progressive, let them hear it as music - rock music- without the possible negative baggage. Slowly get the reputation for playing eclectic music, which is interesting (and doesn't outstay its welcome), and nobody/few other people on local radio stations play. And don't start with tracks longer than 6 minutes, instead something short, sharp and sweet (and possibly brand new) - instead let you show run out on longertracks. Tell them about the music, but if you are talking longer than 60 seconds between tracks you may be boring your listeners. And record your show and listen to your annoucements between tracks as soon as possible after doing the show: the best way of improving your style, presentation etc. Be yourself but remind yourself of the best  parts of your favourite   radio shows and try to adapt them for your own.

Date Posted: September 17 2005 at 20:20

I totally agree, Dick, I listened to the station (oh, I'll just tell you guys.  It's 88.3 WZRD FM, find it on live365.com and you'll know what I mean) and it's pretty much varied in music styles. Just recently they played a 40 minute track from the Grateful Dead (yikes! Almost fell asleep), but I figure playin shorter tunes, then eventually to the longer ones (every now and then).  I really appreciate these comments so far.  More suggestions?

P.S. I'm not ditching GD. It's really a kick-ass group!

-------------
Robert G.
Chicago, Illinois

Posted By: Cygnus X-2
Date Posted: September 17 2005 at 22:31
Originally posted by uriah561 uriah561 wrote:

Yeah, man. Great comments.  Keep 'em coming.

By the way, anybody know some good Frank Zappa tunes to play on the air (the station plays a lot of it).  I own only two so far (Freak Out and We're Only In It For The Money).  Any good FZ highlights?

Anything from the Studio Tan-Joe's Garage Era is good.

-------------

Posted By: tuxon
Date Posted: September 17 2005 at 23:39

nice question dude uriah.

may I promote uriah heep

lady in black.

try some Amon Düül II anything from Phallus Dei (accoustic, bass inflcted space progresiive zeuhl/kraut rock) bloody brilliant

-------------
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: September 18 2005 at 00:11

Henry Cow

Though i would love to hear them on the radio.

Zappa and Gentle Giant are good enough tho. Although many people suggested these already.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: September 18 2005 at 15:29

Yeah, I agee on the Uriah Heep comment. The only one I hear on radio now is Stealin' (which I think is the most commercial, along with Easy Livin'); I prefer Gypsy and Bird Of Prey, myself.

Also, I had the idea of putting early Genesis tunes (Peter Gabriel era) like Watcher Of The Skies, Musical Box, and my personal favorite The Knife.

-------------
Robert G.
Chicago, Illinois

Posted By: billm57
Date Posted: September 19 2005 at 11:30

Hey,

Anybody out there have any recommendations for selecting music for a college campus radio station.  It's free form and non-commercial (ie no popular songs or popular artists).  I'm starting a new job being an on-air DJ and trying to find variouis styles of music to play on the radio.

Robert im in the chicago area..which college you broadcasting from? Whats the station?

Date Posted: September 19 2005 at 19:30
Originally posted by billm57 billm57 wrote:

Hey,

Robert im in the chicago area..which college you broadcasting from? Whats the station?

hey, bill!  i'm in the process of joining NEIU's radio station (88.3 FM WZRD)  It's got me hooked.  It's getting to the point where commercial radio stations are just too boring

-------------
Robert G.
Chicago, Illinois

Date Posted: September 20 2005 at 08:09

Originally posted by billm57 billm57 wrote:

Hey,

hey, bill!  i'm in the process of joining NEIU's radio station (88.3 FM WZRD)  It's got me hooked.  It's getting to the point where commercial radio stations are just too boring

i never listen to the radio anymore except for WXRT on occasion. Ill have to check this one out. First Ive heard of it to tell ya the truth

Posted By: GoldenSpiral
Date Posted: September 20 2005 at 08:59
HOORAY FOR COLLEGE RADIO!!!!!!!!

as for suggestions, post-rock is popular among the college radio crowd.
look for these:
Mogwai
Sigur Ros
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Red Sparrowes

if you want to go a bit heavier:
Isis
Pelican

-------------
http://www.myspace.com/altaic" rel="nofollow - http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon

Date Posted: September 21 2005 at 15:21

make sure you throw some porcupine tree on..thses guys just flat out do not get the airplay they deserve..

some Can would be cool as well

Date Posted: September 21 2005 at 15:40

Yeah, man! Porcupine Tree's awesome.  Just had the tour around the WZRD studio.  The material is really bizarre, but cool.  Makes it so much easier to put on a variety of tunes.  I won't go in depth, but found many prog artists albums like Mahavishnu Orchestra.  More suggestions, please?

-------------
Robert G.
Chicago, Illinois

Date Posted: September 27 2005 at 13:01
Any more guys have suggestions for FM underground radio?  Any new ones, also?

-------------
Robert G.
Chicago, Illinois

Date Posted: September 27 2005 at 17:34
Well I can tell you I'm about put my playlist for this Thursday night's show together. Going to try out a 30 minute Irish special: Touch/Stud/Thin Lizzy/Skid Row/U2.

The traditional jazz (rock) will have something from the excellent new Susan Weinert album, Batagraf with some nu.fusion, the outtake that has appeared on the recently  reissued Billy Cobham Spectrum, and eventually I'll get round to Brad Mehldau excellent cover of another Nick Drake song off his new(forthcoming?) album. Prog music will be represented with tracks from the newies by Opeth, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree.

Remember  The Alternative Alternative Show from 8pm BST Thursday nights, starting with a dress rehearsal this coming Thursday

www.LCR1350.co.uk
and follow the instructions.

Posted By: GoldenSpiral
Date Posted: September 27 2005 at 18:02
There's always something interesting (if not good) on college radio.  Here's a few of the newest bands I've come across in the station's music stacks that I'm fond of (and if its in the stacks, it's worthy of airplay!):

KTU  (new album "8 armed Monkey" features Pat Mastelotto and Trey Gunn of King Crimson!!!!)
Can
Soft Machine
The f**king Champs (kinda proggy instrumental metal)
Cynic

and the staples of any good show include:
pelican, isis (post-metal is good music)
Porcupine Tree  (my new favorite band at the moment)
 and the Mars Volta is good for college radio when used sparingly.

My show is Tuesdays 2-4am (ET).  I'm in a mostly metal time slot this semester, so I play mostly metal and prog-metal, but I intend to diversify next semester.

see signature for info

-------------
http://www.myspace.com/altaic" rel="nofollow - http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon

Posted By: mr.burns
Date Posted: October 01 2005 at 13:30
I would definitly play some early genesis,maybe harrold the barrolJust to show that it dosnt have to be all long songs and complex arrangements.Maybe some tull,from aqualong or heavy horses.Like the other guy said,you can start of easy and when you`ve managed to drag in some listeners go for the erally good stuff

-------------
Father Ted: Sheep like all wool-bearing animals, instinctively travel north. Where it's colder, and they won't be so stuffy.

Posted By: Wilcey
Date Posted: October 02 2005 at 06:44
there are definatley some tracks on Pendragon's new album, BELIEVE that would suit a mixed college audience..........

Date Posted: October 05 2005 at 06:09

This Thursday:

Brad Mehldau plays Radiohead

Frank Zappa plays Yes, Steve Vai plays Indo-jazzfusion, plus Van Vliet, Gary Lucas and Mike Keneally.

Don Ellis reissued, (Don Ellis At Fillmore issued on CD for the first time by Wounded Bird Records) plays one of the strangest trumpet solos ever!

More Opeth, Primus (doing my daughter's favourite as banned by MTV!) 

King Crimson-related half hour: David Cross, original Larks Tongues, Gary Moore Band (?), etc.

And plenty more jazz rock: Susan Weinert's excellent new album Running Out of Time, Brazil jazz funk from Chiero Da Vida, etc.. Tim Ries' Rolling Stone Project, more debate about Coryell-Bailey-White's album Electric.

Some blues from Hot Tuna (old stuff), Robin Trower (classic old stuff)  and Eric Bibb (from forthcoming album).

And much more on  The Alternative Alternative Show from 8pm BST this Thursday:

http://www.LCR1350.co.uk - www.LCR1350.co.uk

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk