Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=118331
Printed Date: May 08 2024 at 01:49
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 10cc vs Steely Dan
Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Subject: 10cc vs Steely Dan
Date Posted: February 02 2019 at 13:36

Here's another Steely Dan poll. One thing these two bands have in common is both their names are a reference to sex.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Replies:
Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: February 02 2019 at 13:40
Watching this will give a proper reason why 10cc were such a good unit when they were most active.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XtPae3K-rUw" rel="nofollow - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XtPae3K-rUw

-------------

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: February 02 2019 at 13:42
I feel Steely Dan's output was more consistently good through time, though I do still appreciate 10CC and their sarcasm.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: February 02 2019 at 14:34
I was actually going to start a poll asking which bands should go up against Steely Dan next. If I do now I won't have to include 10CC. :)

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: February 02 2019 at 14:55
As this time Steely Dan are up against a band that I really like, I can take part and vote against them.

Date Posted: February 02 2019 at 15:06
I love the son I'm Mandy Fly Me, so great melody and changes, also love 10cc fender rhodes usage.

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: February 02 2019 at 15:42
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I was actually going to start a poll asking which bands should go up against Steely Dan next. If I do now I won't have to include 10CC. :)

I think the next poll should be Suzi Quatro vs. Steely Dan, so I can vote for Suzi.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: February 02 2019 at 16:24
Again, my vote goes to Steely Dan.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: February 02 2019 at 16:24
RIO invasion was yesterday, now the Steely Dan mob will drive all others out of the forum! Shocked

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: February 02 2019 at 23:58
Steely Dan

10CC never did much for me 

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: February 03 2019 at 05:34
I'm a surprised with the vote.  I expected Steely Dan to pitch a shutout here.  Steely Dan gets my vote.

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: February 03 2019 at 05:47
I like both.Maybe not equally, but close enough.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: February 03 2019 at 07:53
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Steely Dan

10CC never did much for me 

Pretty much this.

Posted By: socrates17
Date Posted: February 03 2019 at 08:02
10CC.  It isn't even remotely close for me.  I can admire Steely Dan, but I always found them to be a bit humorless.  Maybe it was there and I missed it.  I loved 10CCs sarcasm, as cited by TCat, above.  Zappa asked "Does humor belong in music?"  I'd reply that it's vital to it.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: February 03 2019 at 08:57
Steely Dan.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: February 03 2019 at 13:13
This time I vote for Steely Dan.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 03 2019 at 13:18
10cc by default.

hard pass on both though 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: February 03 2019 at 18:50
Of all the Steely Dan vs. X so far, this X is the weakest.  

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: February 03 2019 at 23:25
Surprised that 10cc isn't polling well. The highs of 10cc are higher than Steely Dan, who were the more consistent band, but you go for the band that gives you the higher buzz, so it's 10cc for me.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 04 2019 at 06:32
Hi,

10CC deserves some credit here, but the sad thing is that a lot of its material is very much English Humor and Americans tend to not listen to English humor and only enjoy slapstick and crap lines as shown on Prime Shame TV. 

The rest of the comedy gets wasted and thrown out, because of a silly laugh track ... that basically tells you what is supposed to be laughed at and you don't know any better! And English satires on this already go back to THE GOONS, who used to play on almost every show with the audience, something that we can not appreciate much, because it's all in the mind, you know, and we're used to BEING TOLD, and not have to figure it out ourselves!

This is not to take away anything from Sleepy Pan,  and their very nice songs, but sometimes this is like saying that 10CC's songs were boring and did not have "personality" ... which is not true at all ... their albums simply did not sell in America like Speely Nap did, and thus, it's not surprising that folks here (from this side of the ocean?) would like Snappy Lan better!

And if there was any doubt about the talent and artistic work, of the members of 10CC, maybe it should be shown to folks here how much work they did in film, theater, and other arts ... because the folks in Steely And did not exactly seem to have been involved in as much, comparatively speaking.

So, we're saying we don't like "artists", and that "songsters" are better? What's the comparison based on? Favoritism and Fan-dom?

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 04 2019 at 08:05
Steely Dan and 10cc have one thing in common and that is featuring Jeff Porcaro on drums ~ Jeff started hes session carear as Steely Dan drummer on "Katy Lied" when he was 20 years old, he played drums on 10cc album "Meanwhile" which was hes last one before he died 45 years old.

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 04 2019 at 11:57
Steely Dan............though I have always liked many of the tracks by 10cc.
In my case I always thought of 10cc as a kind of  British version of Dan. 

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: February 04 2019 at 14:28
10cc, I "Feel the benefit"

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: February 04 2019 at 18:36
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Again, my vote goes to Steely Dan.

This...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Date Posted: February 04 2019 at 23:50
Can Steely Dan match the vocal power of Kevin Godley and Eric Stewart? Than they also have the clever vocals of Lol Creme and Graham Gouldman also, all together they did marvels in vocal overdubs and choral arrangements only conpared with Queen.

Instrumentaly one is not far of comparison if you place them alongside Gentle Giant, in terms of break a neck precision and quirk.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=We0bPpT2Ps0" rel="nofollow - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=We0bPpT2Ps0

-------------

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: February 05 2019 at 02:11
Love both

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: February 05 2019 at 06:20
For the third time, I'd count these two among my favourite bands, but Steely Dan wins again. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Date Posted: February 06 2019 at 12:23
I'm Not in Love is a gorgeous song, a textbook example of celestial harmony. It is also textbook example on etherial soundscapes

-------------

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: February 06 2019 at 13:22
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

I'm Not in Love is a gorgeous song, a textbook example of celestial harmony. It is also textbook example on etherial soundscapes
Ok but does textbook examples make for the greatest art? And is it really a texbook example of celestial harmony?

-------------

Date Posted: February 06 2019 at 17:31
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Ok but does textbook examples make for the greatest art? And is it really a texbook example of celestial harmony?

Or it's just an example of gratuitously indulgent warbling in a rather transparent attempt to overwhelm sappy listeners with faux pathos.

That was a hit "next" in a millisecond or less song for me. Can't understand a prog fan purring up with all that saccharine sap.

Date Posted: February 06 2019 at 23:34
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Or it's just an example of gratuitously indulgent warbling in a rather transparent attempt to overwhelm sappy listeners with faux pathos.

That was a hit "next" in a millisecond or less song for me. Can't understand a prog fan purring up with all that saccharine sap.
some pieces of music transcends genrefication we normaly attach to pieces of art. This particular piece is lacking the structure normaly known to describe the popular formula of pop. Art pop and progressive pop has become more and more a tag also rutinly taken in and defkned in wikipedia. I think in 100 years I'm Not in Love will be rememberd and hailed in high regard, almost like classical music or jazz standard, standard of art pop/rock

-------------

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: February 08 2019 at 21:08
10cc has better musicianship IMHO and funnier lyrics. Hard to top that.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 09 2019 at 07:47
definitely getting better in the comparison ways.. but still...  hard to top the Dan for anything that involves comparing progressiveness, musical talent, songwriting and quality in lyricalism and musicanship.  Easy vote as they all have been for the Dan.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: February 09 2019 at 07:57

Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

some pieces of music transcends genrefication we normaly attach to pieces of art. This particular piece is lacking the structure normaly known to describe the popular formula of pop. Art pop and progressive pop has become more and more a tag also rutinly taken in and defkned in wikipedia. I think in 100 years I'm Not in Love will be rememberd and hailed in high regard, almost like classical music or jazz standard, standard of art pop/rock

My post had nothing to do with whatever genre label someone may choose to put on a song.

I'm curious how your crystal ball predicts such a future for the song. Its never been held in that high regard, even when it was a hit and since only continues to fall further in obscurity.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 09 2019 at 15:53
10CC.

-------------

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 18 2020 at 11:38
Dan

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk