Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=119857
Printed Date: April 30 2024 at 02:52
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Supertramp best songs
Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Subject: Supertramp best songs
Date Posted: April 05 2019 at 18:42
Choose the three best songs or, if you prefer, your three favorites.

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Replies:
Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: April 05 2019 at 20:50
Fool's Overture is so epic. To spread the love I gave an adventurous tune a nod... that being that Opera number, and the pop perfection of Logical Song votes.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: April 05 2019 at 21:43
"Try Again" and "Fool's Overture" for sure, and, um, "A Soapbox Opera".

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: April 05 2019 at 21:54
Fools Overture--Logical song--and several others

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 06 2019 at 02:42
Whoa ! There’s some of the best tracks off most of their albums.
Of course we get lots of catchy numbers on their albums, but we also get the longer Prog pieces. And they are all great. They really are a fantastic band. Hard to choose.
Fool’s Overture is definitely there, Try Again (but that debut is KILLER ! ) and perhaps something off Famous Last Words - such a dark work (bar a few tunes - I’ve always loved My Kind Of Lady).....

Date Posted: April 06 2019 at 04:52
I am sure of 
The Logical song. 

More difficult for the others....

School, Crime of the century, Asylum, A Soapbox Opera, Fool's Overture are very close to each other...

Anyway, Crime and Fool's.

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2019 at 05:19
Their debut seems miles away from what their preffered craft ended up being.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: April 06 2019 at 05:31
Waiting so Long
Soapbox Opera
Babji
If Everyone was Listening
The Shadow Song

-------------

Posted By: MortSahlFan
Date Posted: April 06 2019 at 06:36
Crime of the Century
A Soapbox Opera
Rudy
Just a Normal Day
Waiting So Long
Another Man's Woman
Words Unspoken
Breakfast in America
School
The Logical Song
Babaji
Don't Leave Me Now
Know Who You Are
The Meaning
Travelled
Rosie Had Everything Planned
Gone Hollywood
Goodbye Stranger

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

Date Posted: April 06 2019 at 07:11
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Crime of the Century
A Soapbox Opera
Rudy
Just a Normal Day
Waiting So Long
Another Man's Woman
Words Unspoken
Breakfast in America
School
The Logical Song
Babaji
Don't Leave Me Now
Know Who You Are
The Meaning
Travelled
Gone Hollywood
Goodbye Stranger

Good list.
But have you chosen three songs?

-------------

Posted By: MortSahlFan
Date Posted: April 06 2019 at 07:22
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Crime of the Century
A Soapbox Opera
Rudy
Just a Normal Day
Waiting So Long
Another Man's Woman
Words Unspoken
Breakfast in America
School
The Logical Song
Babaji
Don't Leave Me Now
Know Who You Are
The Meaning
Travelled
Gone Hollywood
Goodbye Stranger

Good list.
But have you chosen three songs?

Yes, the top 3

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: April 06 2019 at 07:24
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Fool's Overture is so epic. To spread the love I gave an adventurous tune a nod... that being that Opera number, and the pop perfection of Logical Song votes.
Yes, that sums it up for me too.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: April 06 2019 at 07:39
think Babaji should be on the list---great heartfelt song

Date Posted: April 06 2019 at 07:59
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

think Babaji should be on the list---great heartfelt song

Done!

I've put Babaji ( and removed Give a little bit) and Waiting So Long ( and removed Lord Is It Mine)

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2019 at 08:00
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Waiting so Long
Soapbox Opera
Babji
If Everyone was Listening
The Shadow Song

Now there are Waiting so long and Babaji

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2019 at 08:57
Downstream is moving.......

Date Posted: April 06 2019 at 09:27
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Downstream is moving.......
Downstream is moving.....downwards.

-------------

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: April 06 2019 at 16:42
Have to go with Fool's Overture for this one, with Take the Long Way Home and School trailing close by.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: April 06 2019 at 18:02
Voted for School - Fool's Overture - Soapbox Opera. The Meaning and Logical Song are up with those.

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: April 06 2019 at 18:40
Voted Fool's Overture, Rudy and Try Again

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: April 07 2019 at 02:32
in bold are the utmost Tramp
in normal are the best Tramp
in small print are also worth mentioning

6. Maybe I'm A Beggar (6:48) 
8. Nothing To Show (4:55) 
10. Try Again (12:03)
10. Aries (7:25)
1. School (5:35)
3. Hide In Your Shell (6:52)
4. Asylum (6:30)
6. Rudy (7:07)
8. Crime Of The Century (5:20)
3. Ain't Nobody But Me (5:12)
4. A Soapbox Opera (4:50)

5. Another Man's Woman (6:20)
2. Lover Boy (6:49)
3. Even In The Quietest Moment (6:39)
5. Babaji (4:49)
7. Fool's Overture (10:51)
10. Child Of Vision
8. Waiting So Long (6:32)
9. Don't Leave Me Now (6:25)

1. Cannonball (7:40)
3. No Inbetween (4:41)
4. Better Days (6:12)
5. Brother Where You Bound (16:34)

Date Posted: April 07 2019 at 07:56
Try again score is changed from 1 to 10.... How is possible?

-------------

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: April 07 2019 at 08:54

Polls where you allow multiple votes are always spoilt. I voted exactly three times for the songs I mentioned above, but others may not be that disciplined....Wink

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: April 07 2019 at 09:28
Fool's Overture > A Soapbox Opera

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: April 07 2019 at 11:53
School/Fools/Child of Vision

-------------

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: April 07 2019 at 15:16
Quietest moments, lady, the meaning are 3 of the best. Roger songs are the only cool tramp songs

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Date Posted: April 07 2019 at 15:21
Originally posted by Formentera Lady Formentera Lady wrote:

Polls where you allow multiple votes are always spoilt. I voted exactly three times for the songs I mentioned above, but others may not be that disciplined....Wink

Maybe someone clicked on the Try Again poll option, thought about the title, so tried again, and again, and again. Or as the saying goes, if at first you don't succeed try again, if next you don't succeed, try again, and so on.

Try Again was my top choice, but I only tried clicking on it once (and voted for two others).

Enabling multiple votes is always susceptible to manipulation, tom-foolery, and it increases the chance of error. I often use multiple-votes, but have never known anyone to abuse those polls. It's probably a lack of interest in part as my choices tend not to be very popular or mainstream, and they tend to attract the same members who just aren't into such antics. The worst I usually get is people not voting as much as I would like in multiple choice polls (I've actually said for some polls, vote as many times as you like for any one option, and still individuals will only vote once for an option, and often I see more posts than votes when I make polls, which I often appreciate.)

If you care about accuracy, then enabling multiple voting is not the best way to go. As for me, I care more about the discussion and comments than the poll results. I do wish that the voting members were made public with our forum software since you get a lot of silent voters in popular polls (like Genesis, Yes, Boyz II Men, King Crimson, G. Love & Special Sauce, Pink Floyd, Rush, Limp Bizkit etc.), and it would curb cases such as this (as would forum software that didn't allow you to vote for an option more than once). But it's not that important of an issue to me, more a curiosity.

-------------

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: April 07 2019 at 15:43
Bloody Well Right

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 01:34
So many good somgs. I'll go with Asylum.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 03:26
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Maybe someone clicked on the Try Again poll option, thought about the title, so tried again, and again, and again. Or as the saying goes, if at first you don't succeed try again, if next you don't succeed, try again, and so on.

Try Again was my top choice, but I only tried clicking on it once (and voted for two others).

Enabling multiple votes is always susceptible to manipulation, tom-foolery, and it increases the chance of error. I often use multiple-votes, but have never known anyone to abuse those polls.

I'm probably responsible for two of those Try Again votes as I still tend to double click when not needed. Embarrassed

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 04:13

Enabling multiple votes is always susceptible to manipulation, tom-foolery, and it increases the chance of error. I often use multiple-votes, but have never known anyone to abuse those polls. It's probably a lack of interest in part as my choices tend not to be very popular or mainstream, and they tend to attract the same members who just aren't into such antics. The worst I usually get is people not voting as much as I would like in multiple choice polls (I've actually said for some polls, vote as many times as you like for any one option, and still individuals will only vote once for an option, and often I see more posts than votes when I make polls, which I often appreciate.)

If you care about accuracy, then enabling multiple voting is not the best way to go. As for me, I care more about the discussion and comments than the poll results. I do wish that the voting members were made public with our forum software since you get a lot of silent voters in popular polls (like Genesis, Yes, Boyz II Men, King Crimson, G. Love & Special Sauce, Pink Floyd, Rush, Limp Bizkit etc.), and it would curb cases such as this (as would forum software that didn't allow you to vote for an option more than once). But it's not that important of an issue to me, more a curiosity.

Multiple voting polls are Always prone to abuse, sometimes caused by not knowing how to handle with these.
I suggested http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=98973&KW=voting&PID=5017223#5017223" rel="nofollow - a way of improving these by using check boxes instead of radio buttons and cast the votes only once, but apparently this was addressed to deaf man's ears.

Back to topic: I cast my three allowed votes for:
1. Fool's Overture
2. Try Again
3. Hide in Your Shell

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 08:57
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Multiple voting polls are Always prone to abuse, sometimes caused by not knowing how to handle with these.
I suggested http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=98973&KW=voting&PID=5017223#5017223" rel="nofollow - a way of improving these by using check boxes instead of radio buttons and cast the votes only once, but apparently this was addressed to deaf man's ears.

1. Fool's Overture
2. Try Again
3. Hide in Your Shell

Yeah, unfortunately it often feels like suggestions for site improvements fall on deaf ears (or no ears at all).

Problem with implementing such improvements are:
a) Is it an option with our Web Wiz forum software (I seem to remember looking into this at Web Wiz and not seeing it as an option with our software), and if not, would it be compatible (could one mod it relatively easily), and if not would a change in forum software be considered.
b) Would M@x be willing to make the changes, or perhaps pay someone to do so (is Graphix still involved?), if one was able to contact him (as this is his site).

M@x rarely visits the forum it seems, and he posts hardly ever. My biggest issue is the Captcha, by the way, which causes me problems, although I find Opera much less prone to it than when I use the Chrome and Safari web browsers.

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 09:31

M@x rarely visits the forum it seems, and he posts hardly ever. My biggest issue is the Captcha, by the way, which causes me problems, although I find Opera much less prone to it than when I use the Chrome and Safari web browsers.

are you still having Craptcha problems??ShockedConfusedOuchDead

I don't think I've seen once on PA (on another site well, though) this year

BTW: I use Firefox & Bing at home and IE and Bing (or Google) at work

Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 09:52
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

While it's not a serious problem for me, it's become worse for me (no problems yet today, though). When others were complaining at first, I wasn't experiencing it at all. I also use Firefox quite a lot, and do find it better than Chrome (that I use as a more secure browser). I especially have had problem with Captcha on my iPad and on my android phone, but it affects the laptops I use as well (one being a PC, and the other an iMac).

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 10:26

While it's not a serious problem for me, it's become worse for me (no problems yet today, though). When others were complaining at first, I wasn't experiencing it at all. I also use Firefox quite a lot, and do find it better than Chrome (that I use as a more secure browser). I especially have had problem with Captcha on my iPad and on my android phone, but it affects the laptops I use as well (one being a PC, and the other an iMac).

I don't know about Chrome being secure at allConfused... I refuse to participate to Google (unless no choice), as they really pry and prey on your private life to resell your "data".

Captcha: It's been so long (as if 4 months was long) that I really thought that mailto:M@X" rel="nofollow - M@X had listened to us and taken it away.

I still have another PA bug (for years now) of access denial  (usually from home), thoughCry

============

Anyways, back to Tramp: I will admit having voted strategically (to give a better chance to my underdogs), but this is due to another PA flaw: you see the results before voting, whereas  on other forum sites, you have to vote first (or click and ask to see) before seeing the results

Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 11:34

I don't know about Chrome being secure at allConfused... I refuse to participate to Google (unless no choice), as they really pry and prey on your private life to resell your "data".

Captcha: It's been so long (as if 4 months was long) that I really thought that mailto:M@X" rel="nofollow - M@X had listened to us and taken it away.

I still have another PA bug (for years now) of access denial  (usually from home), thoughCry

============

Anyways, back to Tramp: I will admit having voted strategically (to give a better chance to my underdogs), but this is due to another PA flaw: you see the results before voting, whereas  on other forum sites, you have to vote first (or click and ask to see) before seeing the results

I meant that I use Firefox as the more secure browser, I have the same concerns with Chrome and Google generally and would like to cut it out of my diet as much as possible. I let my guard down with Captcha, and lost a long PM earlier (forgot to copy it first).

It would be better, I think, if you were to only see the results after posting, as you say.

By the way, while I voted for Try Again, Fool's Overture and A Soapbox Opera, maybe I should have given Hide in Your Shell a Vote, I almost did, as Hide in Your Shell has been an important one to me (I have a history of shyness and social anxiety which has impacted my quality of life).

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 12:43
Thank you all for the explanations. 

Within a few hours, I saw the score of Try Again (song I adore) go from 1 to 10, in front of only two declarations of vote after that, initial, of Logan, and so I asked for explanations. 

The polls are a game (which I like) and I certainly don't care if a song  "comes first " thanks to spam. 
I agree with Logan that it's more interesting to confront. 

However, when there are many songs/many albums/many artists to choose, I prefer to leave the freedom of a multiple choice rather than restricting the choice to a single option, so I will continue to do in this way. 
I think that leaving more choices you can see many more nuances, and in fact this thread shows that almost all the songs that I put have been chosen at least once, and therefore you see the movement, as happened also for the thread that I opened on the best Debut album of 1970. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 12:57
From Now On is a really nice song with a good bassline

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 14:35
I have a new and my own interpretation of Lover Boy from Even In the Quitest Moments.And that is of a love struck couple on a deep space exploration. the loooong and slow pace showcase the enviroment of traveling in an unincompasiable space. From its romantic hopefull beginnkng, to its mendering everyday experience and the final, an intence violent finaly.

-------------

Posted By: Walkscore
Date Posted: April 08 2019 at 18:47
I guess I always have to be...living in a fantasy

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: April 09 2019 at 00:17

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

1. Fool's Overture
2. Try Again
3. Hide in Your Shell

Yeah, unfortunately it often feels like suggestions for site improvements fall on deaf ears (or no ears at all).

Problem with implementing such improvements are:
a) Is it an option with our Web Wiz forum software (I seem to remember looking into this at Web Wiz and not seeing it as an option with our software), and if not, would it be compatible (could one mod it relatively easily), and if not would a change in forum software be considered.
b) Would M@x be willing to make the changes, or perhaps pay someone to do so (is Graphix still involved?), if one was able to contact him (as this is his site).

A change in the software might be required - I don't know how the Web Wiz software works -, but to me the suggested option seems more logical than any Supertramp song Wink. Do you still have problems with the Captcha's? I haven't seen them pass by - fortunately - for almost a year or so. I mostly use Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 these days.

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 09 2019 at 00:24
Logical Song
Goodbye Stranger
Child Of Vision

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk