Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=121333
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 07:52
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favourite Arena Rock Band
Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Subject: Favourite Arena Rock Band
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 07:09
I had to fill out my poll a second time because I forgot to post a message. Oops! Embarrassed

Replies:
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 07:13
Off the top of my head the only band I feel is missing is Van Halen. Good job with the list otherwise though. I'll have to think about this.

Maybe you can edit it(actually I know you can because I have created polls myself)and put Van Halen where that last option is(the one that currently has no band name listed). Just a suggestion.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 07:16
Nice list but in lieu of Zeppelin or Sabbath I had to go with Grand Funk.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 07:20
Europe

I wouldn't classify them as arena rock but since they're there they get my vote.

You put the poll again in the wrong section of the forum. Lol

Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 07:27
I guessed we might have an interesting debate on what is and isn't Arena Rock, along the same lines as the great Neo-Prog debate. Wink

Europe were listed as an Arena Rock band on Google when I looked them up just a few minutes before posting this poll, so I was going by their definition. They're not exclusively Arena Rock though - they're also listed as a Hard Rock / Heavy Metal / Glam Metal band on Wikipedia, which sounds like a good description to me. Smile

Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 07:30
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Off the top of my head the only band I feel is missing is Van Halen. Good job with the list otherwise though. I'll have to think about this.

Maybe you can edit it(actually I know you can because I have created polls myself)and put Van Halen where that last option is(the one that currently has no band name listed). Just a suggestion.

That's no problem at all, and amazingly, Van Halen just happened to fall into the correct alphabetical position at  the tail end of the poll. Wink

Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 07:32
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Maybe the Arena Rock bands are playing in the wrong arena. Wink

Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 07:34
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Nice list but in lieu of Zeppelin or Sabbath I had to go with Grand Funk.

Not to worry. Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin were both included in my recent Hard Rock poll. Smile

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 07:35
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Non prog topics and polls go in the general music. You are not a newbie anymore, you got no excuse.

Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 07:37

Non prog topics and polls go in the general music. You are not a newbie anymore, you got no excuse.

Many of the bands in the poll ARE Prog-related though, which is why I posted it in the Prog Polls forum. Wink

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 07:47
I've seen Dream Theater in an Arena, and Nightwish, so why aren't they in this poll?Wink

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 07:52
Boston is the band that really opened up my tastes. Styx and Kansas were my semi-introduction to prog. Voting boston

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 07:57

I had to fill out my poll a second time because I forgot to post a message. Oops! Embarrassed

Actually, Pink Floyd would win this poll going away ... well ... maybe not ... not enough folks got to see the monster in the years that mattered!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 07:59
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

I've seen Dream Theater in an Arena, and Nightwish, so why aren't they in this poll?Wink
I've seen Bucks Fizz play in an arena too, although they're hardly Arena Rock. LOL

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 08:03
If you're going to classify Kansas as arena rock, then they're the clear choice. Nobody else on that list can hang with them.  

Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 08:04

That's no problem at all, and amazingly, Van Halen just happened to fall into the correct alphabetical position at  the tail end of the poll. Wink

It must have been fate or destiny.LOL

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 08:07
for me this would easily be RUSH---if they were on the list!

Voted Queen. One of a kind greatness.

Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 08:16
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

for me this would easily be RUSH---if they were on the list!

RUSH have made it onto the list now, after a last-minute rush. Wink

Posted By: DarkTower
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 08:25
Rush !

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 08:27
Boston!

-------------

Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 08:31
I voted for Styx. I don't really consider Rush to be arena rock and Kansas only has one foot in that door. Styx are the closest that also have prog elements imo.

Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 09:17

I voted for Styx. I don't really consider Rush to be arena rock and Kansas only has one foot in that door. Styx are the closest that also have prog elements imo.

I don't think of Rush as being an Arena Rock band either. I only included Rush in the poll following TwoSteves suggestion. Smile

Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 09:20
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Boston!
For some reason, I thought you were going to suggest I include Frank Zappa in the poll. Wink

Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 09:37

I don't think of Rush as being an Arena Rock band either. I only included Rush in the poll following TwoSteves suggestion. Smile

I don't really having a problem with them being there but they aren't the first band to come to mind when I think arena rock. Technically arena rock could be any band that can fill up an arena. 

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 10:04
Since Rush is on the list, and since they are my favorite band on the list, they get my vote. 

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 10:12

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Boston! Frank Zappa!

For some reason, I thought you were going to suggest I include Frank Zappa in the poll. Wink

-------------

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 10:26
in a docu i saw about Arena rock, the Police, Dire Straits, U2 and AC/DC were mentioned as band. If played anywere on the plannet, will fill stadiums. Toto, are in some extent not arena rock as they strugle to fill stadiums in US but in europe and pther parts of the world they sell out arenas. the Police, ad/dc, Guns & Roses, the Killers, U2 sell out arenas wethers its US/North- America, Asia, Africa, Oceania or Europe

-------------

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 10:45
Voted for Rush , but I grew up on this stuff so I like a lot of these bands.( Boston, Toto,  Kansas, Asia, ELO, Heart, Queen, Van Halen....)

Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 11:58
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

in a docu i saw about Arena rock, the Police, Dire Straits, U2 and AC/DC were mentioned as band. If played anywere on the plannet, will fill stadiums. Toto, are in some extent not arena rock as they strugle to fill stadiums in US but in europe and pther parts of the world they sell out arenas. the Police, ad/dc, Guns & Roses, the Killers, U2 sell out arenas wethers its US/North- America, Asia, Africa, Oceania or Europe
The way I see it, and this is only my opinion, Arena Rock is more a style of music, rather than any major band who are able to fill up arenas. I'd say Toto are fairly typical of the style of music of an Arena Rock band, even if they're unable to fill up arenas. Wink

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 12:26

Many of the bands in the poll ARE Prog-related though, which is why I posted it in the Prog Polls forum. Wink

What's next, a cock rock poll in Prog Polls?

The Prog lounges are intended particularly for music deemed Prog. If this were for Prog Polls, then this topic would be more appropriately titled Favourite Progressive Rock Arena Band and would focus on bands included in our Prog categories.

When placing a poll in Prog Polls, it should be Prog-focused (according to the prog categories we have in prog Archives) and the majority should be included in Prog-proper categories.    If you think your poll is more on the prog-related side, rather than acts included in Prog categories focused, then please place it in General Music Discussions.

We also have a Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge, which in intended for acts included in PA's Proto-Prog and Prog-Related categories, but it does not allow polls (even if it did, this would still fit General Music Discussions). Basically, if in doubt, music polls are probably better placed in General Music Discussions. Since Arena Rock (as a kind of genre which relates to forms of AOR or melodic rock) is not particularly a progressive rock phenomenon, General Music Discussions would seem more obvious to me. In another sense, Prog bands that did great spectacle and played big arenas such as Pink Floyd and ELP are arena rock (well, both have also also made AORish, in terms of a genre, music as well).

Anyway, what is Arena Rock is debatable, but that this poll is better suited to General Music Discussions is much less-so. In fact, General Music Discussions is where it should have been placed. I do wish people generally would put more thought into where they place their topics. Anyway, no vote, I'm not a fan of arena rock despite enjoying various bands who have played very large venues. That said, perhaps I could vote for ELO since I like albums by that band, and I like Toto with Eno's Dune soundtrack, but even the term arena rock fills me with some sense of revulsion.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 16:13
Not on the list (should be) the Grateful Dead.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 16:16
When I think "arena rock," Van Halen fits the definition better than just about any other band.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 16:58
RUSH!!!!! for Rush rawks man...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 17:32
Rush and Van Halen were both late additions to the poll following suggestions that they be included. Smile

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 17:38
^ Rush were a must have..and saved you from a dreaded Mick-poll fail..

they more than anyone perhaps personify just what 'arena rock'.. ie AOR is.  It has been defined .. and Rush fit that definition perfectly..  taking prog elements and mixing it with basic accessible commercial American hard rock. Sure Journey, Styx, Kansas did it earlier. but none better than Rush 

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 18:04
WOW, a poll where I actually know all the choices. Probably should have went with Queen, but gave Saga some love here.

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 19:14
Rush! And I can't believe I voted for Rush in anything!!!Stern Smile

Posted By: patrickq
Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 19:47
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

WOW, a poll where I actually know all the choices. Probably should have went with Queen, but gave Saga some love here.
x 2 Smile

Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 20:07
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

I guess that's one of the reasons why they're known as Arena Rock bands on account of everyone knowing them from playing the big arenas. Smile

Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 20:09
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Rush! And I can't believe I voted for Rush in anything!!!Stern Smile

I rushed them into the poll at the last minute. Smile

Date Posted: October 31 2019 at 20:13
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

they more than anyone perhaps personify just what 'arena rock'.. ie AOR is.  It has been defined .. and Rush fit that definition perfectly..  taking prog elements and mixing it with basic accessible commercial American hard rock. Sure Journey, Styx, Kansas did it earlier. but none better than Rush 
Rush replaced Todd Rundgren's Utopia in the poll, who probably wouldn't have received any votes anyway. Smile

It's a good thing I replaced Utopia with Rush as they're currently leading the poll. Smile

I'm not sure what a "Mick-poll fail" is. Confused

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: November 01 2019 at 00:32
I voted for Rush as they are one of my favourite bands but if you ask me the best 'Arena band' in terms of my actual attendance and experience it would easily be the subject of my avatar , namely Muse. They put on a spectacular show at Ashton Gate Stadium earlier in the year and basically have the whole large stadium/arena nailed down tight with a dance troupe , giant Iron Maiden style 'puppets' , video screen back projection , giant custom built speakers .. basically the dog gonads. After the then actually Iron Maiden are the second best with Rush third in my experience.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: November 01 2019 at 07:43
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Thank you ... was about to write that ... but this generation of folks posting here, has absolutely no idea what Pink Floyd and Grateful Dead did on stage, to compare ... so they can choose a simpler band in their music. Nothing against Boston or Kansas, but the musicianship levels, don't even come close to a proper comparison!

AND, the Grateful Dead, had the biggest and the best sound system EVER on any stage of the world, and sometimes you could swear it was way better than your own stereo system. PF even when through that and the clarity of DSOTM was a perfect example of them perfecting their "quadraphonic sound" ... that no one here remembers or can relate to!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: November 01 2019 at 15:16
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I disagree because Rush is a lot more prog than those bands (except maybe Kansas), and when I think of a band filling up an arena, it's the mighty Halen.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: November 01 2019 at 16:02
It was actually my suggestion to have Van Halen on here(even though I didn't actually vote for them). However, if they are on here then you could also make a case for Aerosmith and then Motley Crue and then Kiss and then ZZ Top and on and on. I see Def Leppard is on here at least. The bands that most seemed to typify that arena rock sound though seemed to be REO Speedwagon, Journey, Boston, Styx and maybe Kansas(late seventies).

Date Posted: November 01 2019 at 18:45
^Those bands were nowhere near as consistent when you compare heydays, though. VH cut a huge swath for a decade, upstaging headliners and spawning myriad wannabes (some, like Extreme, became successful).

-------------

Date Posted: November 02 2019 at 01:12
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Thank you ... was about to write that ... but this generation of folks posting here, has absolutely no idea what Pink Floyd and Grateful Dead did on stage, to compare ... so they can choose a simpler band in their music. Nothing against Boston or Kansas, but the musicianship levels, don't even come close to a proper comparison!

AND, the Grateful Dead, had the biggest and the best sound system EVER on any stage of the world, and sometimes you could swear it was way better than your own stereo system. PF even when through that and the clarity of DSOTM was a perfect example of them perfecting their "quadraphonic sound" ... that no one here remembers or can relate to!
Grateful Dead are in my second Psychedelic Rock poll and they were around long before the era of the typical 1980's Arena Rock sound of bands such as Journey, Foreigner, Toto & REO Speedwagon.

I was born in the 1950's so I've been around even longer than the Grateful Dead and I'm grateful to still be alive. Tongue

Date Posted: December 01 2019 at 09:36
TOTO  - Falling in Between - Live in Paris (2007)

Date Posted: December 02 2019 at 12:22
MEAT LOAF - Bat Out of Hell 3 Tour

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: December 03 2019 at 14:27
Toto.

Date Posted: December 03 2019 at 14:59
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

Toto.

Your avatar reminds me of Robert John Godfrey of The Enid. Smile

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: December 03 2019 at 18:57
Well, either Kansas or Rush of course, because they’re Prog. Rush of course will win. Why mix Prog and non-Prog? Take off the couple Prog ones and put ZZ Top in. They were the top crowd draw in one of those late 80s years.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: patrickq
Date Posted: December 03 2019 at 19:21
of the ones on the poll, ELO.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: December 03 2019 at 20:02
Muse

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com