Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=121463
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 16:21
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Progressive Ears
Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Subject: Progressive Ears
Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 14:22
Any members here use Progressive Ears forum? What are your thoughts?

I was recently banned because Poisoned Youth, an administrator, did not like my sarcastic comments. I don't want to anger anyone, just having fun. Hope they don't can me at PA.

Replies:
Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 14:55
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Any members here use this forum. What are your thoughts?

I was recently banned because Poisoned Youth, an administrator, did not like my sarcastic comments. I don't want to anger anyone, just having fun. Hope they don't can me at PA.
Maybe you were banned for being too grumpy. Wink As it happens, I used this forum today to post my "Prague Archives" blog. Smile I also use this forum for posting my album reviews.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 15:44
sheesh.. what does one really have to do to get banned from a prog forum.  

I've tried everything.. and still they keep me around.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 15:55
Thanks for the heartfelt comments.

Paul, can anyone be too grumpy?

Micky, I wish I could give you some pointers. I didn't tell the w**ker to go f himself. Just a tiny sarcastic jab.

Oh well, if I get un-banned what would you do?

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 16:01
see..  thus my point.. what more was I supposed to do. I have had no problem telling people what I think. Admins included many times over the years to go f**k themselves and stay the hell out of our work... it was funny relationship we had. Some loved me.. some absolutely hated me and was returned in spades. Anyhow I think they kept me around for entertainments sake..pfff...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 17:33

Micky, I wish I could give you some pointers. I didn't tell the w**ker to go f himself. Just a tiny sarcastic jab.

Send them a message and ask them what you did to get yourself banned. Tell them you didn't have any malicious intent and they will probably let you back in with a warning.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 17:38
I've commented on Prog Ears for several years. Chances are, if you don't behave like a certifiable douche-bag nothing will happen. Unless, of course, you are an alter ego of Svetonio, and then you get banned whenever you show up. And rightly so.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 17:40
oh man.. god I miss Svetty...   we've had some characters here.. some real characters.. I mean freaks of modern chemistry....but he was a true top 5'r for sure...

-------------

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 17:43
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

oh man.. god I miss Svetty...   we've had some characters here.. some real characters.. I mean freaks of modern chemistry....but he was a true top 5'r for sure...

It wasn't really what he said, but rather how many times he said it. The repetitively repeated repetition made Mosh's "only the hits" comments seem novel and unique.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 17:45

No, I suppose not. Being grumpy never did Rick Wakeman's reputation any harm. Smile

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 17:49
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

It wasn't really what he said, but rather how many times he said it. The repetitively repeated repetition made Mosh's "only the hits" comments seem novel and unique.

oh I enjoyed our political.. ideological discussions.. you could hear his teeth gnash through the internet cable every time you reminded him how we blew his nations toy air force out of the sky and showed what happened when professional soliders meet thugs and murderers... you go your asses kicked and your country bombed back into the stoneage...

oh the good old days.. he was a last gasp of the great days when .. good God Greg.. we had personalities here.

the suggestions thing? I supposed I was retired by then and could care less.. but he was fun to engage one on one.  

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 18:30
I go there from tie to time, just to see what's going on. sorry they banned you. Hopefully you'll stay here without any incidents.

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 18:38

I've commented on Prog Ears for several years. Chances are, if you don't behave like a certifiable douche-bag nothing will happen. Unless, of course, you are an alter ego of Svetonio, and then you get banned whenever you show up. And rightly so.

He's on here under  a different user name and as far as I know hasn't been banned(yet).

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 19:23
Appreciate all the comments. I'm only banned for a month, but haven't decided what to do after that. Go for a lifetime ban in a blaze of glory post?

Anyway, I like PA better, so if I piss anyone off tell me and I'll try and do better, maybe.

Cheers

Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 19:38

Appreciate all the comments. I'm only banned for a month, but haven't decided what to do after that. Go for a lifetime ban in a blaze of glory post?

Anyway, I like PA better, so if I piss anyone off tell me and I'll try and do better, maybe.

Cheers

What exactly were you banned for? Did they give you a reason? 

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: November 11 2019 at 20:16
If Cozy banned him you know it was for more than one event and was after at least a couple of warnings. Some people wear it as a badge of honor.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 01:11
This is the first time I've heard of the Progressive Ears forum.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 02:32

Well, you are our resident troll of honour hereLOLHug

calling him a w**ker won't help. Stern Smile

After a warning or two, Cozy asked you: "You really want to do this? "... And I guess you did

But bans are quicker happening there than here, that's for sure, but I saw yours coming.

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

He's on here under  a different user name and as far as I know hasn't been banned(yet).

Well, Svetie never lasts more than three weeks in PE... He can't help himself acting his usual self

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

And TBH, I wish you hadn't. Nuke

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 04:30
I tried to get banned because Sean Trane was a member (Wink) but they never did it. Go figure.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 04:53
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I tried to get banned because Sean Trane was a member (Wink) but they never did it. Go figure.

Of course you got banned, on the condition that you returned here LOL

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 04:59
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Well, you are our resident troll of honour hereLOLHug

calling him a w**ker won't help. Stern Smile

After a warning or two, Cozy asked you: "You really want to do this? "... And I guess you did

But bans are quicker happening there than here, that's for sure, but I saw yours coming.

Well, Svetie never lasts more than three weeks in PE... He can't help himself acting his usual self

And TBH, I wish you hadn't. Nuke
Don't worry, I'm not for one moment contemplating leaving ProgArchives and going over to listen to Progressive Ears instead. Smile

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 06:03

And yet a few hours ago you said you'd recently posted on it?................

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 07:57
I remember going to a show in Seattle a few years back, don't remember which one, and striking up a conversation with a group of people. The topic of online forums came up and most just said they visited band sites on Facebook. I asked if anyone used PA and one guy literally turned his nose up and said in comically foppish tone, "oh no, Progressive Ears". I had heard of it but not visited at that point, but that certainly wasn't a big sell.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 08:32
I am remaining loyal to PA. Anyway, I would probably get confused as to which forum I had posted something on and at my age I do not need much more to confuse me into a zombie like stupor...at which point people would think I was a Leonard Cohen fan...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 08:34
Hi,

I don't frequent other places in this subject of music at all ... I have checked a few and they are ... so ordinary, for my tastes and sometimes even more exclusive about the definition and stand by the top of the pops groups in "Progressive Music" ... and (again) the only thing that bothers me about them all, and it happens to a degree here although some Admins DO KNOW THEIR HISTORY really well, is that too much of the music is relegated to second rate and third rate status because it did not come from London, or Kansas, or one band from Canada.

I will always try to help the rest of the European scene that was so valuable to what "became" known as "progressive music" ... and I can see connections in the whole thing, but you have to be aware of literature, art and film, to be able to see all of it ... it's like saying that Fellini was not a director that did not influence many English directors, with his "I don't care style" ... that eventually brought out folks like Ken Russell to the front real quick ... and to say that it did not happen in literature or any other arts, is ... for the most part ... ignorant! 

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 08:42
I used to run my own online music site at one time until the money ran out in 2015.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 09:12
They banned you for being sarcastic?!

I surely won't go over there.

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 09:16
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

They banned you for being sarcastic?!

I surely won't go over there.

They don't ban sarcasm, I've been a member there for over a decade.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 09:21
There are those that have a hard time differentiating sarcasm and abrasiveness. Not saying that's the case here because I don't know the details, but standards of social interaction sometimes get scewed.

-------------

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 10:09
although I don’t post there as often as I do here, I regard PE as being a very well moderated forum, and my experience is you only get banned if you deserve it.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 10:14
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

although I don’t post there as often as I do here, I regard PE as being a very well moderated forum, and my experience is you only get banned if you deserve it.

No one would dare to ban Sir Humphrey from ProgArchives. Questions would be asked in the House if that were to happen. Smile

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 10:17
Using humour on a prog site is much more risky than sarcasm if you ask me.

-------------

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 11:31
Progressive Ears is the music mancave of our home.   I live in PA and my husband inhabits Progressive Ears.  

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 11:35
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Progressive Ears is the music mancave of our home.   I live in PA and my husband inhabits Progressive Ears.  

What's his ID?

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 11:48

Big G is the only PA member I know who's practising self-exclusion. He banned himself (with trumpets and fanfare) at least three times for various reasons but he always returns.

-------------

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 12:23

ok wiseguy I'm going back to PE. I've only banned myself twice from there. LOL

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 14:20
I will preface this with I have no idea of what happened this time as I didn't see the incident, and I suspect posts may have been removed with the 'offensive' content, but...

PE has always seemed a bit weird to me how they deal with banning members. Sometimes the rope is really short (and I don't mean in cases with Svetty, who deserves to be banned everytime he returns) but sometimes the rope is enormous. I hate to say it as it's only suspicion, but it seems like that length is tied to how well you are known there. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 14:58
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

PE has always seemed a bit weird to me how they deal with banning members. Sometimes the rope is really short (and I don't mean in cases with Svetty, who deserves to be banned everytime he returns) but sometimes the rope is enormous. I hate to say it as it's only suspicion, but it seems like that length is tied to how well you are known there. 

I would describe it the same way, very cliquey.

Here is the thread no posts removed.
https://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/24877-Top-five-for-2019" rel="nofollow - www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/24877-Top-five-for-2019

The ban came with my response to Poisoned Youth's top albums of 1969 thread, I repeated his comment in my thread. "This may come as a shock...but I still have several albums from 1969 to get to before I'd be satisfied calling this a final list (I know...right?)." Seems like he kind of mocked my post when he created his post.

Anyway I'm 60, blunt and grumpy. I can't be PC and play games. If I offend others don't take it personal.

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 15:20
Yep it was my comment in his 1969 thread.

I saw the humor in it. Oh well.

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 15:24
^^ Looks like 'abus de pouvoir' to me.

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 15:26
I only deleted my comments because I saw you already addressed it. Anyway, not sure what you want any of us to do about it. This is a pretty laid back place though and while it's not as "elitist" as PE I think typically we are more mature. To be honest I'm not really sure you would fit in here. It doesn't hurt to see how it goes though. Also, I really thought you were in your early 20's or something. LOL

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 16:03
Just wanted feedback on what others thought of Progressives Ears. Got plenty of thoughts. Thanks.

Hey, AFlowerKingCrimson do I come across as 20? Be honest.

Date Posted: November 12 2019 at 18:10

Just wanted feedback on what others thought of Progressives Ears. Got plenty of thoughts. Thanks.

Hey, AFlowerKingCrimson do I come across as 20? Be honest.

21. I won't deprive you of beer(or wine). Wink

Date Posted: November 13 2019 at 02:06

ok wiseguy I'm going back to PE. I've only banned myself twice from there. LOL

Your fetish album should be Kraftwerk's Auto-Ban LOL

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I will preface this with I have no idea of what happened this time as I didn't see the incident, and I suspect posts may have been removed with the 'offensive' content, but...

Unlike here, most of the US members actually know each other from prog festivals and have partied with each other and know the wives and sometimes even the kids. Though not as evident nowadays, there was a real sense of community , but I wouldn't call it a clique either, parly because there are a fair amount of prog scene actors who actually post there regularly. Historical members do get temporary bans for overstepping the lines, though. PY has a shorter fuse than before, IMHO, but it's probably because it's the same three admins for 20 years now, whereas here, they regularly change, so a certain form of tiredness can be pointing its head.

It is a tougher place to survive there then here, though

You maybe weren't aware of the fact that he was an Admin (FYI, the other two have +/- the same drawn avatar), so you could claim ignorance of that fact if you hadn't.

If I may, maybe considering taking out the grumpy part of your username could be also helping in seeing your post as less aggressive

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Date Posted: November 13 2019 at 05:10
Thanks Sean. I could never remove grumpy from my name, its who I am.

I like the playful banter you and Steve have going. Just be careful so you don't get banned.

Date Posted: November 13 2019 at 07:44

Thanks Sean. I could never remove grumpy from my name, its who I am.

I like the playful banter you and Steve have going. Just be careful so you don't get banned.

It's pretty difficult to get banned from here(like Micky said). You can even ask to be removed and they still won't do it. So your pretty safe. That doesn't give you carte blanche to act like a douche but just know you probably don't have to walk on eggshells around here.

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: November 13 2019 at 09:30
I love Progressive Ears. The Flower Kings threads on there are freakin' legendary. An absolute pleasure to read. It's probably the most TFK loving forum in existence. xD

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Date Posted: November 13 2019 at 09:42
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

I love Progressive Ears. The Flower Kings threads on there are freakin' legendary. An absolute pleasure to read. It's probably the most TFK loving forum in existence. xD

have you tried the one on here, where they burn me to death and imolate me to oblivion nd excommunicateme from all religion on the planet  (circa p 35) ?? TongueBig smileLOL

Date Posted: November 13 2019 at 10:04
^ Will you share the little dude who smoking weed someday, man?

aaah sorry, I forgot that sharing (what a dirty word) is illegal in this day and age.

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2019 at 10:50
Waiting for my illegal Marillion download to finish (these fat cats don't need the cash anyway)...and lighting up another mega joint and chewing up some magic mushrooms while creating my brand new PE account.

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2019 at 13:18

Waiting for my illegal Marillion download to finish (these fat cats don't need the cash anyway)...and lighting up another mega joint and chewing up some magic mushrooms while creating my brand new PE account.

Marillion survive because of fans such as I buying their music legitimately. Not illegally. They are not fat cats.

-------------

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: November 13 2019 at 13:52
Never heard of this forum but this makes me want to sign up to see if I can get banned too!

Date Posted: November 13 2019 at 13:56

Marillion survive because of fans such as I buying their music legitimately. Not illegally. They are not fat cats.

I wasn't expecting any replies tbh, thought the coarse trolling mode was quite evident.

But yeah, such as you and I, brother. Proud owner of a good 30-35 (studio + live) of their albums here.

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2019 at 14:46
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Never heard of this forum but this makes me want to sign up to see if I can get banned too!

LOL

Really though? I would say it's pretty well known among most prog fans who pay attention to online forums(which would mean most of us here). The membership over there is a lot lower though and it's not as well known. Maybe many view it as PA's competition so don't talk about it much on here. Not sure. Back in the old days there was RMP( a prog newsgroup)then when progressive ears came out(it actually started out as prog yahoo group which itself evolved out of a yahoo Kansas group if I'm not mistaken) many prog fans stopped posting on rmp which led to it becoming more or less a ghost town. 

Date Posted: November 13 2019 at 15:23

I wasn't expecting any replies tbh, thought the coarse trolling mode was quite evident.

But yeah, such as you and I, brother. Proud owner of a good 30-35 (studio + live) of their albums here.

Then my apologies. Unfortunately, such “trolling” doesn’t come across well on a screen Wink

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2019 at 15:54

Then my apologies. Unfortunately, such “trolling” doesn’t come across well on a screen Wink

You are right. Many forums have a dedicated sarcasm font. Usually courier. Maybe it would be useful here. Enlarging met be good too.

Pointless for me because I am never sarcastic.

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2019 at 16:56

Proud owner of a good 30-35 (studio + live) of their albums here.

*spits a rather nice.. and expensive..  glass of red wine all over monitor*

and probably was still money still better spent LOL

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2019 at 18:51
^ 43 to be exact (box sets count for one and not counting dvds).

Of course, I could have spent all this money on crystal meth instead and be six feet underground by now.

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2019 at 18:57
hahahhah.. well.. when you put it that way ...   I'd consider it money well spent.  Hell I love my Flower Kings CD's .. money well spent as I could have spent them on smokes or 7-11 hot dogs.... they are my favorite drink coasters.

happiness and bang for the buck is where you find it isn't it Beer

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2019 at 19:09
Smokes will definitively kill me, my only shortcoming except for pot, beer and porn. Must stop that sh*t this year. How much money I've spent...naah I don't even want to think about it.

-------------

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: November 14 2019 at 01:33

Yep it was my comment in his 1969 thread.

I saw the humor in it. Oh well.

If they banned you for THAT, that's pretty ridiculous.

Posted By: TheH
Date Posted: November 17 2019 at 07:41
^^

You ca be very sure he wasn't banned for that comment. I don't know the reasons,
but there where much much more worse comments from other guys that still got
another Chance.

The admins will let you know what their problems with you are, they even worked
personally with some guys who obviously had some issues.

So if someone gets banned from PE he deserved it.

Date Posted: November 17 2019 at 08:56
100% agree

-------------
Ian

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: November 17 2019 at 17:46
Not sure why anyone would rather use that clunky site. Just made an account, won't let me post. Anyone know how to delete your account?

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: November 17 2019 at 17:48
Ermm

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Date Posted: November 17 2019 at 17:51
You can't delete your account. You have to come up with a new password then deliberately not write it down and forget it. Same thing with this site.

Date Posted: November 17 2019 at 18:03
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Not sure why anyone would rather use that clunky site. Just made an account, won't let me post. Anyone know how to delete your account?

I happily use both sites, they offer different things.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: LAM-SGC
Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 08:21
I tried it for a while years ago, but it felt too much like an old members club i.e. "their way or the highway", too cliquey, and not enough female members. I didn't feel comfortable there.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 08:59
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

I tried it for a while years ago, but it felt too much like an old members club i.e. "their way or the highway", too cliquey, and not enough female members. I didn't feel comfortable there.

I had the same experience....more or less..  

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: LAM-SGC
Date Posted: February 11 2020 at 13:15
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

I had the same experience....more or less..  

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: February 13 2020 at 21:03
They have some knowledgeable people there and I've read some good threads.  They have a ton of trolls though and their jokes are almost always lame.  That doesn't matter though, they ruin threads with them all the time.

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Date Posted: September 09 2020 at 14:46
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Yes, one offers snobby elitism and one doesn't. LOL

Posted By: TheH
Date Posted: September 09 2020 at 15:45

I use both, I can't see where all that pecuilar impressions on PE come from.

The trolls on PE or the same ones that are here (Svetonio and co.) they just
move from on site to the other when they get banned (and come back again and again).

Haven't experienced any snobby behaviour in ages on PE.

Posted By: FatherChristmas
Date Posted: September 09 2020 at 17:24
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

move from on site to the other when they get banned (and come back again and again).

Who is Svetonio? And who is Boboulo? Are they the same person, as everyone keeps implying?

-------------
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten

Date Posted: September 09 2020 at 18:13
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Who is Svetonio? And who is Boboulo? Are they the same person, as everyone keeps implying?

Apparently so. I don't know much about his history on PE but apparently he has used multiple names on there as well. 

Date Posted: September 09 2020 at 18:59

Yeah I'm on both & I've been bemused by the accusations of snobby behaviour on PE. I like both places a lot. They have different characters.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: September 09 2020 at 19:09

Yeah I'm on both & I've been bemused by the accusations of snobby behaviour on PE. I like both places a lot. They have different characters.
A much drier crowd over there. You pick and choose the discussions that are worthwhile. At least they don't have the endless repetitive Genesis v. Yes v. King Crimson v. Rush v. whomever polls, ad nauseam. 

-------------

Posted By: Spacegod87
Date Posted: September 09 2020 at 20:19
lmao, sarcasm is difficult to detect on the internet. That's why I use -->   /s
Also, considering your name, were they really that surprised? LOL

-------------
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.

Date Posted: September 10 2020 at 02:57

A much drier crowd over there. You pick and choose the discussions that are worthwhile. At least they don't have the endless repetitive Genesis v. Yes v. King Crimson v. Rush v. whomever polls, ad nauseam. 

Well, I can see why it came to be, and to some extent, I can still see why it still has that reputation (they linger on), but it is mostly a thing of the past

But IMHO, you do need a higher knowledge of music to survive there, rather than here.

Date Posted: October 24 2020 at 19:35
I made an account there a while ago. I found the layout of the site a bit confusing though. I also found there weren't many threads that interested me. Maybe I should give it another chance.

-------------

Posted By: Woon Deadn
Date Posted: October 25 2020 at 04:29

I am still unaware of what that guy called Svetonio did. I read about him so much in this forum that I would be really glad to hear from somebody what did he do exactly? Maybe somebody can pm me or tell it here. Maybe the admins of the site may write the examples of what he wrote here in this forum, write somewhere in the page of this site, like Hall Of Dishonor or what else? 

-------------
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)

Date Posted: October 25 2020 at 05:25
Originally posted by Woon Deadn Woon Deadn wrote:

I am still unaware of what that guy called Svetonio did. I read about him so much in this forum that I would be really glad to hear from somebody what did he do exactly? Maybe somebody can pm me or tell it here. Maybe the admins of the site may write the examples of what he wrote here in this forum, write somewhere in the page of this site, like Hall Of Dishonor or what else? 

Svetonio, who returned to this forum several times under duplicate accounts (the last one was Boboulo), is a troll who likes to spread his delusional theories compiled in his book Alternate History of Everything. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2020 at 06:17
Originally posted by Woon Deadn Woon Deadn wrote:

Our Serbian friend’s main modus operandi was to flood the new bands suggestions thread with acts who nobody had ever heard of, and never would hear of even after addition, after they had recorded an “album” in their kitchen and plonked it on Bandcamp. He made my life an absolute misery when I was on the team monitoring such suggestions, and was a major factor in my resigning, given that I do have other things to do such as work and family.

In addition, his behaviour in the political threads was nothing short of disgraceful. As far as he was concerned, Tito good, everyone else bad, and we had a deluge of threads and videos posted attempting to justify his warped view of the world. I am a big believer in freedom of speech, and the right to have dissenting opinions, but his behaviour went well beyond that.

He would also start arguments with some frequency as to definitions of sub-genres, and what constituted this style of prog, and what constituted that style of prog, again with umpteen videos and trolling posts to support said opinions. Again, they were not rational debates, but pure and utter trolling.

He is the worst example I know of someone who is so utterly obsessed with his worldview, and refuses to accept anyone else’s, or respect decent debating and forum rules. He had to go. PE banned him as well, and he ended up on another loony’s site who had been banned multiple times.

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2020 at 06:28
^That's worse than I thought. Last time he was just spamming videos/band names, he was even rather amusing.

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2020 at 06:49
He was horrendous, he basically trawled bandcamp for any band with a prog tag and carpet bombed here with suggestions with zero input on bio's, discographies or anything. Plus the puerile sub genre arguments that consisted of more carpet bombing videos to 'prove' his point.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: Woon Deadn
Date Posted: October 25 2020 at 07:05
Thank you for such detailed explanations. I personally think the admins must post this information somewhere with real examples of what he wrote here. 

I remember some time ago I have posted a bit too wide comment on what I think was the Soviet proto-proto-prog and the other forum members called me Svetonio and I had to look for the ancient historian's Wikipedia entry (Gaio Svetonio Tranquillo) and wondered what was the connection with me. Then I was informed and the situation was solved and nobody was hurt. No problem in it, at all. I must say, though, that the Soviet performers that I mentioned as somewhat-prog-for-their-time, were not recorded in the kitchen and were all of a legendary status in the former USSR and still are. My political views are also obvious: I don't think the USSR was catastrophically bad. The USSR was definitely a deadborn creation that was destined to die from its very beginning - creating a Utopian society with non-Utopian people is an unachievable goal. However, although I do not want the USSR back, I feel strong nostalgia for it. Like tens of millions of other former Soviet citizens. I can clearly understand the other tens of millions that hate the USSR, too. But there was not a catastrophe in the post-Stalin USSR, in the least. It was a weird pythonesque country that had its unique excellent facets. It is true that I sort of dislike Solzhenitsyn - mostly, because for all I know, he was not much better than Stalin, he simply had much less power in his hands... For instance, as far as I can get, Solzhenitsyn was imprisoned in 1945 because in February of that year he wrote a letter to his friend where he criticized Stalin. Now, let's look at it the other way: good or bad, but Stalin was the general military commander of the fighting Red Army. The war against the nazis was still active, Berlin was not yet captured, there were heavy losses and other wartime misfortunes. When the war reaches its final stage, the soldier of the fighting army criticizes the general commander of his army and proposes the creation of another political system in the country... Uhm... Wartime rules, wartime laws are strict. Certainly, the Soviet system overreacted and played it very tight. But, anyway, it was a bit insanely stupid or stupidly insane to act that way that Solzhenitsyn did under those circumstances, I'd say. 

So, in some aspects, I may also sound like Svetonio, probably. There's probably a few percents of Svetonio in many people. I hope I'm adequate and sane, though. Thank God for that! 

-------------
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 25 2020 at 08:36
I've visited PE a few times over the years and gain yesterday -- think I registered -- but the forum layout does not appeal.  I didn't see any topics that I found engaging enough ideas-wise to want to join in. I'd probably be most interested in the non-music discussions.  Here too I'd rather engage in the non-music forums as I have grown tired of always talking about music (I still do it but would rather sink my teeth into other types of discussions, not politics though). I'd like more in-depth discussion outside of music and the arts, not that there is much here either outside of that.  Do they have topics that focus on things such as science, psychology and philosophy?

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: October 25 2020 at 08:52
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I've visited PE a few times over the years and gain yesterday -- think I registered -- but the forum layout does not appeal.  I didn't see any topics that I found engaging enough ideas-wise to want to join in. I'd probably be most interested in the non-music discussions.  Here too I'd rather engage in the non-music forums as I have grown tired of always talking about music (I still do it but would rather sink my teeth into other types of discussions, not politics though). I'd like more in-depth discussion outside of music and the arts, not that there is much here either outside of that.  Do they have topics that focus on things such as science, psychology and philosophy?

Yes, they have a Way Off Topic forum, but do not allow religion or politics in any of their spaces.

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2020 at 09:04

I've visited PE a few times over the years and gain yesterday -- think I registered -- but the forum layout does not appeal.  I didn't see any topics that I found engaging enough ideas-wise to want to join in.
That's pretty much the experience I had with PE.

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 25 2020 at 09:31
^^ I see that forum now.  If they don't or can't respect or trust people enough to be able to discuss religion and politics in a rational and civil manner, and so they feel that they must ban such discussion, then that site is definitely not for me.  If it's a site that feels it must protect people's feelings that much, then it is not for me.  It's the controversial topics which can be the most interesting, and I am believer in having one's beliefs challenged and challenging one's own beliefs.  I would like a little-moderated forum with users who are overwhelming mature/ rational (while also enjoying toilet humour and the like). ;)

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: October 25 2020 at 10:43

^^ I see that forum now.  If they don't or can't respect or trust people enough to be able to discuss religion and politics in a rational and civil manner, and so they feel that they must ban such discussion, then that site is definitely not for me.  If it's a site that feels it must protect people's feelings that much, then it is not for me.  It's the controversial topics which can be the most interesting, and I am believer in having one's beliefs challenged and challenging one's own beliefs.  I would like a little-moderated forum with users who are overwhelming mature/ rational (while also enjoying toilet humour and the like). ;)

I agree with you, Greg, and as I said in the Collab Zone recently, I agree with your approach to moderating.

I do post on PE, but not as often as here. I find the site to be a little bit cliquey, but also it does have some extremely knowledgeable people there, and I do learn quite a bit from my daily visits. The admins on the site are also excellent, imo.

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2020 at 11:22
Yes, they have a terrific set of moderators

-------------
Ian

Posted By: Nomadic
Date Posted: October 30 2020 at 15:59
This is an interesting thread as I've been on PE since 2012 and haven't really hung out here much. I'm gearHed289 over there BTW. Pretty casual user - 15 minutes on my lunch break M-F. I can see people feeling it's a little cliquey or snobbish, but I pretty much let it slide at this point. It's really not THAT bad. I did resort to calling someone a douche bag once, but I'm sure he had it coming. Wink Some posts are comically pompous. But overall, the majority of members are decent folks.

Grumpy, I've seen your posts over there and I'm not shocked you were banned. Not that I was ever offended, but there were a few times I was like "Uh oh!" LOL

Maybe I'll switch to PA for a while?

-------------
http://nomadichorizonband.com

Date Posted: October 30 2020 at 16:02
Originally posted by Nomadic Nomadic wrote:

This is an interesting thread as I've been on PE since 2012 and haven't really hung out here much. I'm gearHed289 over there BTW. Pretty casual user - 15 minutes on my lunch break M-F. I can see people feeling it's a little cliquey or snobbish, but I pretty much let it slide at this point. It's really not THAT bad. I did resort to calling someone a douche bag once, but I'm sure he had it coming. Wink Some posts are comically pompous. But overall, the majority of members are decent folks.

Grumpy, I've seen your posts over there and I'm not shocked you were banned. Not that I was ever offended, but there were a few times I was like "Uh oh!" LOL

Maybe I'll switch to PA for a while?

Well, you would be more than welcome Big smile

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: October 30 2020 at 16:05
I'm perfectly happy with PA and have no desire to commit adultery with PE.  

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Date Posted: October 30 2020 at 16:11
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

LOL

I listen to a certain prog radio station a lot and sometimes feel that way when I listen to a different prog internet radio station(or stations). Wink

Date Posted: October 30 2020 at 16:19

I would still love you even if you did....Heart

-------------

Date Posted: October 30 2020 at 19:33

yeah I can dig that sentiment.. but from prisim of Mick

I'd rather have have freaky kinky sex to JB albums on PA than falling asleep to the coital version of Genesis albums over at PE.

-------------

Date Posted: October 30 2020 at 20:56
I wonder if they spend as much time talking about PA on there as we talk about them on here? Tongue

Date Posted: October 30 2020 at 20:58

I wonder if they spend as much time talking about PA on there as we talk about them on here? Tongue

Nope, no we don't

-------------
Ian

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk