Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122067
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 21:19
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favourite Procol Harum Album
Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Subject: Favourite Procol Harum Album
Date Posted: January 27 2020 at 15:47
I only have two double CD compilations by Procol Harum and I've never heard any of their studio albums, so it'll be interesting to see which album receives the most votes. Smile

Replies:
Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: January 27 2020 at 16:14
I like the  first 5 about the same but I suppose Shine On Brightly if I have to pick one the most.
But that can change depending on mood.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: January 27 2020 at 16:56
Haven't heard them all, but I will pick Exotic Birds,as I like every single song.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Date Posted: January 27 2020 at 17:12
This is the only time I can't vote in my own poll because I don't know any of the albums. Smile

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: January 27 2020 at 17:33
first album was the best

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: January 27 2020 at 18:13
Voting for the debut, even though Procol Harum is one of my favourite bands of all time, so hard to choose.   Every one has shining moments for me. But that was the first time I heard them, so going for that. 

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: January 27 2020 at 18:21
In Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra (1972), with the incendiary version of "Conquistador"...

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: January 27 2020 at 18:23
That was fantastic.  Just a wonderful performance.  

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Date Posted: January 27 2020 at 18:39
The video has just convinced me that "In Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra" is the best Procol Harum album. Smile

Date Posted: January 27 2020 at 19:36
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Voting for the debut, even though Procol Harum is one of my favourite bands of all time, so hard to choose.   Every one has shining moments for me. But that was the first time I heard them, so going for that. 

they were my first "serious" band, and the debut was my first "serious" album.  It' also somewhat atypical, being more ballad oriented than a lot of the later albums.  But the thoughtful and clever lyrics and mix of piano and organ were already in abundance.  I no longer consider Procol to be one of my favorites but they do hold a special place as the first

Date Posted: January 27 2020 at 19:37
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

In Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra (1972), with the incendiary version of "Conquistador"...

superb, but I don't really much care for the rest of the album

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 27 2020 at 19:43
Grand Hotel gets my vote.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: January 27 2020 at 21:40
The live album is excellent, but grand Hotel gets my vote.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 27 2020 at 23:46
The Edmonton Symphony album is the one I've owned for a long time. I was hoping for a more expanded re-issue than was put out so that was a shame but the original album is just about perfect. BTW Shine On Brightly was released the same week as The Nice - Ars Longa Vita Brevis and both albums featured a side long composition. Prog rock was up and running! 

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: January 28 2020 at 01:49
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The video has just convinced me that "In Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra" is the best Procol Harum album. Smile
No. Itīs Shine On Brighly (In Held in it is just masterpiece, better than that concert-version). Paul, itīs the album you MUST hear. Anyway I really like all the Procol-albums at least a bit, Prodical Stranger is the weakest, Broken Barricades from the sixties/seventies albums.

Date Posted: January 28 2020 at 01:53
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

No. Itīs Shine On Brighly (In Held in it is just masterpiece, better than that concert-version). Paul, itīs the album you MUST hear. Anyway I really like all the Procol-albums at least a bit, Prodical Stranger is the weakest, Broken Barricades from the sixties/seventies albums.

You're right. I really must listen to ALL of Procol Harum's albums, eventually. Smile

Date Posted: January 28 2020 at 01:55

You're right. I really must listen to ALL of Procol Harum's albums, eventually. Smile
Well, you can leave those "reunion"-albums out, well maybe except the last one, itīs quite good. But listen at least Shine. & Grand Hotel.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: January 28 2020 at 02:19
I was always only into the MkI line-up with Fisher & Trower... As the other members gradually disappeared , I kind of lost interest but the albums (Home, Barricades)still have stand-out tracks.

The MkII line-up starts with the Edmonton Symphony (which is great), but I simply can't get into the rest of their discography, despite Brooker & Reid and one of the best drummer around that stayed until the end: BJ Wilson.

I'll vote for the debut, but the US version that contains WSoP (I understand the UK version didn't), but their best overall id SOB with the sidelong epic and Moonbeams.

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: January 28 2020 at 02:39
I really love Exotic Birds and Fruit above all others. One great song after another.

Date Posted: January 28 2020 at 04:21
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I'll vote for the debut, but the US version that contains WSoP (I understand the UK version didn't), 
Just watched the first album pressings from Discogs, itīs quite amazed there was only one pressing of first album in the UK in the sixties! So the album probably wasnīt huge seller. But whatīs more amazing in German pressing there was Homburg added, also different track order & "Good Captain Clack" missing!

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 28 2020 at 04:26
Shine on.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Philchem8
Date Posted: November 13 2021 at 16:25
A Salty Dog

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: November 13 2021 at 16:42
debut is great 

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: November 14 2021 at 00:46

The video has just convinced me that "<span>In Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra" is the best Procol Harum album. Smile</span>

I'm afraid I know very little of Procol Harum, but I came to love In Held 'twas because of Transatlantic's cover version. Then I have tried to listen to the original a few time online, and I just couldn't get into it. I guess I need to give it a few serious listens to really get into it.

Posted By: David_D
Date Posted: November 14 2021 at 14:06
this is an easy one for me as one and only
Shine on Brightly

-------------
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond

Posted By: nick_h_nz
Date Posted: November 14 2021 at 14:17
I guess I’ll be the only one to vote for Broken Barricades, but as that is my favourite PH album… 😜

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: November 14 2021 at 14:20
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I guess I’ll be the only one to vote for Broken Barricades, but as that is my favourite PH album… 😜

Thumbs Up

I need to give it a listen, I haven't listened to it in a really long time. Smile

Date Posted: November 14 2021 at 15:31
For some bizarre reason, I neglected to include my favourite Procol Harum album - The Long Goodbye - in the poll. Ouch

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 06:39
Between Grand hotel and Something Magic

Posted By: Ronstein
Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 07:05
In Concert with Edmonton Symphony Orchestra. Just works to perfection.

Looking forward to seeing them live with an orchestra in February!!

Posted By: rik wilson
Date Posted: November 16 2021 at 10:10
Broken Barricades was the lp that got me into Procol Harum. Reids lyrics are mind blowing and deep. It was also Robin Trower's swan song. Incredible guitarist and incredible loss.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: November 16 2021 at 11:00
Exotic Birds is an underrated Gem.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: November 16 2021 at 12:35
Something Magic

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk