Print Page | Close Window

Why do you use headphones at home?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Tech Talk
Forum Description: Discuss musical instruments, equipment, hi-fi, speakers, vinyl, gadgets,etc.
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122236
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 16:23
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Why do you use headphones at home?
Posted By: LAM-SGC
Subject: Why do you use headphones at home?
Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 20:20
A question concerning home listening only.
I'm interested to know why people use headphones at home:

1. You just prefer it, to get closer to the music, to get a better stereo sound and to listen without being disturbed by outside sounds.

2. To drown out an irritating sound while you are working or studying at home e.g. a howling dog, loud TV, children in a neighbour's flat, whereby the music itself is not the prime reason just the volume to drown out the dog.

3. Because of where/how you live, out of consideration for others either in your home or other rooms/flats around you, you have to use headphones to listen at a correct volume to hear the music properly.

4. Your hearing means you simply have to use phones.

5. You mostly listen to music via a device with small weak speakers, so the phones are a necessity.

6. Other

Replies:
Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: February 14 2020 at 23:30
3 is the closest. I don´t use headphones often (really like to listen music through loudspeakers and it doesn´t bother me at all, if some people are talking while listening) but when use it´s because my wife want to be sometime without music (I listen really lot) or then my daughter´s boy friend want to play some game in our living room.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 00:35
I live in an apartment with very poor soundproofing...so yeah headphones are basically it if I want to rock out...and not get constant complaints from my neighbours who don’t fancy Beefheart, Sun Ra, Tangerine Dream, Gong or Miles Davis when they have to sleep/eat/exist.
I’ve also found that it is rather cheap compared to a speaker set-up. The level of detail one can get from a somewhat cheap pair of cans is something you need to throw serious dough after in the speaker world.
Do I prefer headphones? Nope...but the times where I can freely listen to my stereo are increasingly rare. I remember last summer, where I seemed to be alone in the building with no neighbours to speak of...for about a week. Hot damn that was nice

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 01:39
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

1. You just prefer it, to get closer to the music, to get a better stereo sound and to listen without being disturbed by outside sounds. >> The day they come with 5.1 headphones, I will maybe try using headphones Clown

2. To drown out an irritating sound while you are working or studying at home e.g. a howling dog, loud TV, children in a neighbour's flat, whereby the music itself is not the prime reason just the volume to drown out the dog. >> if I have to concentrate, I certainly won't use music to isolate myself , especially if it's good. Maybe I should try unplugged headphones, though Evil SmileLOL.

3. Because of where/how you live, out of consideration for others either in your home or other rooms/flats around you, you have to use headphones to listen at a correct volume to hear the music properly. >> That's a valid reason I would use them late at night, but my GF goes to bed after me LOL.

4. Your hearing means you simply have to use phones. >> naaah; I guess I didn't w**k enough as a teen to become deaf Big smile (in French, they say you do if you indulgeErmm).

5. You mostly listen to music via a device with small weak speakers, so the phones are a necessity. >> certainly no earbuds (well sometimes at work), and in public places, I'm not addicted to music enough to scratch that itch. Long gone are the days of the Walkman and Discman. Plus until recently I didn't have a smartphone (it was forced upon me as a gift), and I don't plan to start listening to it (I still have a normal cell phone for phoning purposes).

6. Other >> BTW, certainly not wireless HP either. Last thing I want to have is an electronics receiver right next to both sides of my brains.PinchDead

colourful answer in the quoteWink

But I do have high-quality HP in both of my Dutch pad and my brussels one, though.

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I live in an apartment with very poor soundproofing...so yeah headphones are basically it if I want to rock out...and not get constant complaints from my neighbours who don’t fancy Beefheart, Sun Ra, Tangerine Dream, Gong or Miles Davis when they have to sleep/eat/exist.

Dutch houses are the worst for isolation, but if they complain about my music, I will counter by calling the good taste police and cultural authorities, because they listen to Shakira, Lopez, Beyonce, Kenny G and Kayne West ... Usually that gets them calmed down instantly LOL

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 07:21
For me both 1 and 3.....but my older Shure phones won't work in my new laptop...the plug fits but no sound....could be Win 10 or the phones are broken...can;t figure it out....
help?
Cry

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 07:39
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

LOL Our neighbours haven´t complained at all!! We are living in 3rd floor, which is the last in our house, our next apartment we hear nothing, apartment under us there is a piano player that we hear quite well (not playing every day). I have wondered how good they hear us?

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 08:07
6. Other. I don't listen to music through headphones at home. However, I've recently started listening to music through headphones away from home. I'm actually quite surprised at how much more can be heard through headphones than through speakers. For example, as familiar as I am with Pawn Hearts through speakers, it was only recently that I first heard it through headphones, and I've become impressed with the album all over again.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 09:18
A little help....my headphones work fine with my HP hard drive tower at work but they don't work with the new HP laptop..ideas..? Are the new ports/jacks different than the old ones..? Or is there a setting I'm not seeing with the laptop?

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: February 15 2020 at 12:33
My Sony WH-1000X MB wireless noise cancelling headphones give me far superior sound quality to any of my external device speakers, allow me to fully immerse in the music, and play it at a volume that would otherwise annoy my family! 😂

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Date Posted: February 16 2020 at 09:05
Little disappointed no one came to my help call on this thread...but heh...we are all busy in the end.
I figured  out the headphone issue...so I guess if you want something done...do it yourself.

Wink

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: February 16 2020 at 12:27
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

For me both 1 and 3.....but my older Shure phones won't work in my new laptop...the plug fits but no sound....could be Win 10 or the phones are broken...can;t figure it out....
help?
Cry

Try your HP in a different tool (radio, telephone, cell phone)

i tried both my samsung cell phone and my Sony MDR-CD270 and both worked fine with my Hewlett with Win 10

Date Posted: February 16 2020 at 14:09
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

help?
Cry

i tried both my samsung cell phone and my Sony MDR-CD270 and both worked fine with my Hewlett with Win 10

Thanks...I fixed it....just a fit issue with the jack.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: February 16 2020 at 14:48

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

help?
Cry

Thanks...I fixed it....just a fit issue with the jack.

glad that I couldn't be of any kind of help at all!! LOL

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: February 17 2020 at 02:00
Sorry Wu, I didn’t catch your dilemma until now...glad you found a solution yourself though.
Such a pain in the derriere not being able to play music I recently had a similar problem with my speakers...only to find out that my cables were antique and more than ready for the trash. I was however fairly certain that it was the speakers acting up...

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: kabak
Date Posted: October 18 2020 at 19:52
I mostly use headphones for listening music, gaming and watching movies. Since the lockdown, I have purchased Logitech G430 specifically for group meetings and conference calls since work from home is applicable until now.

(EDIT: A link removed.)

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: October 18 2020 at 20:27
Answer: my wife cannot stand my taste in music. 

Odd, as she once met everyone in the band Yes (2004).  

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: October 18 2020 at 21:06
^ Oh man that's a deal breaker for me LOL. Thankfully for me my wife is good with my music selection, sure there is stuff she has no interest in but the majority of it she's fine with. 

So no need for headphones in the Catcher10 house, I only use them on planes.

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: October 18 2020 at 22:58
I'd say (1) - headphones are the best way to really listen to something for me.

Posted By: wiz_d_kidd
Date Posted: October 19 2020 at 07:34
Mostly #3. My wife likes most of what I listen to, but when I am sampling music which is new to me, I tend to listen to a short snippet, skip ahead 20-30 sec, listen to another snippet, skip ahead some more, then skip the song, start a new one, listen to a snippet, etc. This, understandably, drives her nuts!

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: December 13 2020 at 06:57
It's 1 & 2 for me.
There was a time back in the 80's - 90's where I almost exclusively listen through cans.
AKG K240 Studio Phones. I loved being immersed in the sound stage and the  AKG's are beautiful balanced even if they are a little heavy on the 'ol noggin.

These days it's mostly because I want music in my head whenever I cut the lawn or do some landscaping or snow shoveling. I had a sweet little pair of JVC phones that I got for $10 at a clearance store back in 2005. I couldn't believe how smooth they were given their size and price. I went back and bought two more pairs for when the first ones broke, which they eventually did. I just hooked the cable of my last pair over a drawer handle about a month ago and pulled it out so they are all done now.
Not terribly impressed with what's available now as economical over the ear phone. If I'm shopping I'll just plug a pair of Blueberry ear buds in to my iPod Shuffle.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: Zeph
Date Posted: December 13 2020 at 08:12
Small apartment, had a baby, sold speakers. I'm thinking about buying a stereo again, but I'm happy with IEMs at this point. One reason being that I often spend time in the kitchen or elsewhere. If I had a stereo for music in the living room, I'd have to stay there.

I usually play too loud, but neighbours on four sides also has something to do with it.

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: December 13 2020 at 08:58
Simple answer, sometimes I just wanna hear a single song or put something on conveniently and easily without throwing a record or CD on, which I do plenty of as well!

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Posted By: Earl of Mar
Date Posted: December 13 2020 at 09:17
In the evening I sometimes just use my A&R AR25 with Meze Classics, cant be bothered firing up the main system. If I'm ready for a session I still have to think of others, so I will probably still use headphones ( I have a pair of stax lamda on the main hi fi).
When everyone is out though, its speakers all,the way.

Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Date Posted: December 13 2020 at 11:36
Because I can get the most out of the sound... and why not?

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: December 13 2020 at 12:56
^ Absolutely--   the music not only sounds better, you get that kitsch stereo split signal !

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: December 13 2020 at 13:25
^No doubt..headphones sound great....I use them upstairs so as not to bother the wife...down in the stereo room... speakers are blasting.
Thumbs Up

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: December 13 2020 at 20:07
Hi,

Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

That one is easy ... I decided I didn't want anyone from PA hearing it!

Besides, they wouldn't be interested in music, anyway, just songs, right? Wink

Big smile
Embarrassed

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: December 13 2020 at 20:55
My main amp doesn't even have a proper headphone output.

Posted By: triptych
Date Posted: December 14 2020 at 01:22

WinkBig smile
Because when I listen to hard prog rock bands ON LOUD MODE on my Sony 1200 W stereo system, my neighbours do too Thumbs Up

Posted By: operationStone
Date Posted: October 28 2022 at 09:16
I use headphones at home firstly because I don't live alone, and noise cancellation is a must. Also, I don't want to disturb my family members with the music I am listening to. It's important to add it gives me some more privacy.
I don't have my own room and putting on the headphones becomes a sign of my personal space that cannot and should not be violated by anyone. I chose my headphones on http://https://productz.com/en/steelseries-arctis-3-2019-edition/p/lEWo2" rel="nofollow - productz.com solely for noise cancellation and privacy. And I also think the sound is better this way, and I can hear more details than if I used a speaker or any other loud device.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: October 28 2022 at 09:51
I mostly use headphones when.
1. When I’m the only one who is awake.
2, When I’m listening to Ambient Music.
3. Heavy Prog
4. Whenever I won’t to be able to be alone.

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: October 28 2022 at 11:08
Hi,

In general, the issue is that these days listening to music on speakers, is not as good an experience as it was in the old days. I think there is something "synthetic" about the headphones, and the CD's that have taken some liveliness out of the original LP's ... and that is not to say that it does not sound cool, or great on the headset and CD's but I remember the power and the incredible surge of energy from "Wolf City", from "Tago Mago", from "Black Dance", from "Stratosfear" that the CD's are not delivering, and the many "remasters" made, for me, made it worse, by separating things that were not there before ... not that different positioning is not a good idea (it works great in orchestras to get some better moments) but it ate apart what appeared to be an incredible cohesiveness in the originals that do not appear in the CD's.

About the only one group I can see the difference, is the redone material that EROC did for GROBSCHNITT and how amazing it sounds, and still very together, as the original. Even hearing several versions of "Solar Music", is incredible, and you end up feeling that you definitely would want to be at that show!

It's possible that my ears and imagination are seeing more into this than is really there, but somehow, putting on a CD on the big stereo is not as nice, and great as it once felt. I once blew out "Deadwing" on the speakers and it sounded nice, but for some bizarre notion, it seems to sound better on the earphones ... I've never figured that out, but I think the stylus/needle in the turntable is likely the culprit that made the music more alive and the way it is done on CD, is not as well mixed and designed as it was for the LP.

Something like that. 

Makes me hope that in the next 50 years you go to a concert with headphones, not to see a band!

How's that for weird? At least you would hear something "better" than the horrible mixes for most bands in so many live shows, of which many bands I have seen have suffered in the quality!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: October 28 2022 at 15:35
Many reasons, but mainly because I get absolutely killer elite sound without disturbing the peace. :)

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk