Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122436
Printed Date: May 07 2024 at 20:33
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Which Genesis listener are you?
Posted By: Cristi
Subject: Which Genesis listener are you?
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 04:25
For the fun of it, vote and discuss. 
Explain especially if you choose the "other" option. Big smile

Replies:
Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 05:38
Don't like the first two or the last one. All others are fine.

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 05:39

Other.

I like the music of Genesis, but not enough to consider myself a fan. I only listen to the albums up until 1977, but that is not a rule, just the way things are. I prefer Gabriel-era Genesis, though in a recent topic, I put a Collins-era track in second place after Supper's Ready. However, it was the only Collins-era track I listed in the Top 5.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: Enchant X
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 06:10
For me anything Genesis has done has been special I like most up to 77 but theres songs after that which I really like as well, how much I would like genesis since they have announced a reunion 

and doing some gigs  https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/mar/04/prog-rock-stars-genesis-to-announce-reunion" rel="nofollow - https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/mar/04/prog-rock-stars-genesis-to-announce-reunion  to release a new album.  Tongue Clap

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 06:13
Have to choose also other. I like every other album except Calling All Stations. Used to hate "Invisible Touch"-song, but already then liked quite much for example "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight", "Land Of Confusion", "Domino" and "the Brazilian" from that album. And if "Invisible" now comes from the radio, I don´t change the channel (today it doesn´t come too often).

But the era I really love is Peter´s era. Like quite much also that first pop album.

Posted By: tamijo_II
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 06:27
voted 2nd option

Like: I listen from Nurcery to Lamb 99% of my genesis time
A few revisits of Trick and Trespass. 

Don’t dislike neither From Genesis nor other later albums (at least up to Invisibil) but to little time for those and they will mainly turn up on a random playlist, and yes that includes Wind & W.

-------------
Same person as this profile:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=22524" rel="nofollow - Tamijo

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 06:31
I like all genesis a lot up to and including duke. Don’t mind the pop years, don’t touch calling all starions

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 06:32
Genesis from Trespass to seconds out....is the ONLY answer...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 06:40
I only listen to the albums up until 1977, although I'll be listening to all of Genesis' albums soon when it comes time to give them a star rating. Smile

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 08:08
voted I'm a fanboy lol--which is sort of true as I have always found Banks songs on all the albums interesting to my ears even if I don't like all the album by the three. But mostly I listen to the music up to 1977 and I listen often.

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 08:12
I listen to Nursury Cryme, Trespass and Seconds Out.

-------------
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 09:38
I'd like to say that I listen until Duke and Shapes' A-side but in practicality I never go beyond Seconds Out.

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 09:41
Not a fanboy.Really like TotT,W&W,TTW3 and the very first quite a bit.The rest is OK.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 09:45
Peter Gabriel era is the best, but I can enjoy anything up to the point that Hackett left. After that I'm not very interested.

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 09:47
Other: 

I'm not a Genesis fan. I have a conflicting relationship with Genesis.

I have great respect for their work, and I consider them damn serious, competent and... middle-class prog. I consider Gabriel the genius of the group, and the acoustic parts with Gabriel-Hackett the most engaging emotional. 

I consider Banks a very good instrumentalist but with a musical sensibility as a bureaucrat, and I don't remember any of his solos that made me enjoy like a hedgehog. In general, it is not a band that is characterized by solos and actually who seems to me most technically gifted and capable of spectacular games on his instrument is Phil Collins.

I consider their discography from Trespass to A Trick of a Tail very good, but his level is not one of the higher. The records I consider best are Trespass, the only one without weaknesses, and The Lamb, that is, those that deviate from their standard prog. Trespass is a little jewel, the only one I can say I got great pleasure to listen to it from the beginning to the end... Because with Trespass the pleasure touch the heart: it's the most melodic album: I feell emotions with it, instead the other albums produce more pleasure to the brain. 

Nursery Crime in my opinion is a minor work, instead Foxtrot and Selling England by the pound are ambitious operas but they dont reach the peaks of other groups because they have some weak songs.

In particular, A-side of Foxtrot is not so great and B-side of Selling England is weak.

Their best sequence are the firsts three songs of Selling (Trespass sequence is close), in particular, the first and the third: they are exceptional, a touch of genius and so, when I listened to them for the first time I was excited, but with the fourth song my humour went down... and the level quality of the second side is really modest.

Foxtrot and Close to the End, in my opinion, are ambitious works, without big falls and very well-groomed, they respect all the patterns of prog (such for which they are, how to say?, The common ground within which the various genres of the prog move) but they lack the ingenious flick, they are very elaborate and sometimes sophistication hides a scarcity of immediate melodic inspiration.

After A Trick of the Tail I consider their albums very modest.

Ok, my opinions.

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 10:17
After Steve Hackett left, I gradually lost interest in Genesis, I mostly listen to their albums until Duke.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 10:35
Genesis are not my favourite band, and I agree with jamesbaldwin that all their albums have some low points (except Live from 1973, that one is clearly masterpiece material except of course it's not the original source of the songs). I do prefer their Gabriel era material, but I  can find some good stuff up to Abacab, so I belong to the "picky" category. After Abacab it's over though.

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 11:27
I lost interest around Wind & Wuthering in '77 but love it or loathe it, (not really my bag y'all) their subsequent 80's Pop output was as good as anything served up by the likes of Aha, Human League, the Police, Bowie, Tears for Fears, Simple Minds, Eurythmics, Depeche Mode, Toto, Queen et al.  For the world's leafiest English suburbia 1st Gen Prog band to make that sort of transition so seamlessly and successfully beggars belief. That said, I still think Phil's a massive c*nt.

-------------

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 11:30
First, I LOVE ALL of Genesis.

My favorite era, though, is:
Trick of the Tail
Wind & Wuthering
Spot The Pigeon
And Then There Were Three

I always say I like these because this is before Conny Plank told Phil he was a soul singer.  After this era, I gravitate to the Banks songs preferably.

Also, I'm a big fan of:
Rutherford's Smallcreeps Day
Banks' A Curious Feeling

Something about that mid-late 70's era I like.  Might be the David Hentschel production.

-------------
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 11:39
Other. I don't listen to any albums past "From Genesis to Revelation".Shocked 

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 12:11
Other:

I am a fan of Peter Gabriel. 

I consider IV and Passion and Us (and maybe Up) masterpieces, and I, III and So very very good.

Between 1977 and 2002 Gabriel have produced only great records (except II), if we dont consider Birdy and Ovo soundtracks. Better than Genesis from 1969 to 1977.

I consider Phil Collins a very good pop-melodic singer songwriter. No Jacked Required and expecially But Seriously are very good albums.

I like Hackett's Alcolyte... the other works are quite good or so and so (I dont know his complete discography).

I have listened to some Phillips' Lps, quite good, but I dont remember well.

Never listened to Banks or Rutherford solo albums.

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 12:21
I'm not a fanboy, but I listen to all Genesis. Although I don't own CAS.......

I can easily spin SEBtP and then spin Invisible Touch.

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 12:44
I'm picky with the trio albums. I'm not a fan of Abacab, IT or CAS. I can tolerate parts of WCD. I really like the Genesis (shapes) album, Duke and ATTWT.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 13:24
I can listen to all of them (I am not fond of the debut and Abacab, but even these have some good things), but I am mostly a Hackett-era fan.

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 13:33
the prog ones only here

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 14:14
I'm not a huge fan of Genesis either, though I listen to them all (except Calling All Stations and very seldom the We Can't Dance album).  I have very high regards for Gabriel and love his solo music.  I am quite familiar with most of Genesis work though, and respect what they did, but Lamb is the only one that makes my favorite albums list.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 14:59
I wouldn't be bothered one bit if I never heard any of the trio albums again.

I really don't listen to any of them very often now, but Trespass through Wind & Wuthering all have a special place.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 16:21
The Gabriel/Hackett albums are definitely the ones that I fell in love with. I don't mind some of the threepiece stuff, but I don't think any full albums like that have caught my attention enough for me to want to give it a second spin. It's not because it's "pop", but the songwriting just never appealed to me that much except the occasional hit.

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Posted By: LAM-SGC
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 17:10
Wow! PG biased. Where is the option "I only listen to the albums from Trick onwards" ?
Without that option I can't vote.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 18:30
Trick of the Tail and Winds and Wuthering were the first Genesis albums I really got into back in high school (I actually bought Peter Gabriel's Car before I even listened to earlier Genesis albums). Then I saw them on tour with Bill Bruford, and enjoyed it so much I went back through all the older albums.

Never cared for their later stuff.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 18:41
Other:

A Trick of the Tail
Wind & Wuthering
Seconds Out
...And Then There Were Three...
Genesis (1983)

I don't reach for them too often now. Been a while.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 19:04
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

Wow! PG biased. Where is the option "I only listen to the albums from Trick onwards" ?

That's like ordering pizza and only eating the pineapple.

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 19:13
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

No, that's like ordering a pizza but eating the cardboard box.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 19:43
I guess I gotta go with 'other' in that I only listen to solo Collins.

No, I chose the fanboy option. I'm not wild about the last two studio albums(and Abacab isn't great), but really I pretty much enjoy them all(I even like the very first album). 

Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 21:41
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

No, that's like ordering a pizza but eating the cardboard box.

I disagree. You can't get your pizza delivered without the box. Pineapple is utterly superfluous to a true pizza experience. 

-------------

Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 22:03
^ You need freakin Pineapple all over that sucker! So much that you can barely even taste the actual pizza. That's how it's done son. LOL

Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 22:23
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

LOL

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 22:24
there is a reason SEBTP is second on the list here--it's prog magic--and includes two of the best prog solos--guitar and keyboard 

Suppers ready is brilliant --major work of prog

The Lamb is one of the best concept records ever 

there are few bands with 5 amazingly talented guys in one band--(a few classic Yes lineups)--and no band I can think of that can replace its lead singer within the band-- and go on to greater success---

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 22:43
I voted 'other' because the categories do not quite fit my listening. I prefer the classic PG period, which excludes From Genesis to Revelation.  The Hackett-era albums are also great in my book. I enjoy the pop-trio for the most part, but We Can't Dance provides too much of too little. And the duo Calling All Stations is a  terrible album which should have never been made.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 22:55
I'm not really a big fan of pop music except when prog bands do it. Therefore I'm typically more forgiving when it comes to the later eras of Yes and Genesis than a lot of prog fans are. Also, it was during the eighties when I first got into these two bands so that at least partially explains my tolerance also. So I voted for the "kind of a fanboy" option.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 22:57
I listen to them all at some point, but prefer the ones up until Hackett left.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: March 07 2020 at 23:39
I listen to them all...except Calling All Stations.
No problem with Duke and onwards.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 00:28

that's why I put the "other" option in the poll. Big smile For other opinions. 

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 00:32
Other.

I drop off after Invisible Touch, otherwise I love it all.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 00:42
Other

Everything from Trespass up to and including Duke is fair game and then its mainly songs. I do own Abacrap but after that the only other Genesis albums I own is The Way We Walk - The Longs and the Ray Wilson album which barely counts as Genesis .

Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 07:50
Pineapple on pizza? I'd eat that if I was starving, but lets face it, mighty meaty pizza or a doner calzone (both with hot chillies) are both 1970-1977 genesis....anything with pineapple on would be 1978 onwards genesis....completely unappealing to the pizza/prog cogniscenti.....😎

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 08:21
See what you want to do is eat your pineapple filled pizza while listening to some is the sappyest solo Phil Collins. Now that's an evening my friend.. That's an evening.

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 09:47
Other: I'm not fond of FGTR nor Calling All Stations, I tend to avoid them.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 10:51
Other - I only listen to the albums from Trick to Invisible Touch.
Tried the earlier stuff, not a fan, I don't like PG's voice.

Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 10:52
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

FGTR?

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 10:59
Up to 1977...Wind...,after that ,I do own the next 4 ,but rarely play them.
To be honest I haven't played any Genesis lp all the way through in probably months....and I am a fan of the Gabriel years.....go figure.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 13:30
Huge fan.  Don't love the first album or the last.  Not much time for CAS either.  My sweet spot is ATTOT, W&W, ATTW3 where Banks is really running the show.  I usually listen to the live albums, all of them, instead of pulling out the studio albums.  Looking back, I like that PG left as some of his solo work is stunning and I also really like the 4 and then 3 man Genesis.  

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 13:51
Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

Huge fan.  Don't love the first album or the last.  Not much time for CAS either.  My sweet spot is ATTOT, W&W, ATTW3 where Banks is really running the show.  I usually listen to the live albums, all of them, instead of pulling out the studio albums.  Looking back, I like that PG left as some of his solo work is stunning and I also really like the 4 and then 3 man Genesis.  

...ATTWT... is phenomenal. I'm always surprised to see it written off as a "lesser" Genesis album. Tony's synths sound HUGE and the songs are crisp. "Down and Out" is one of their best songs.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: March 08 2020 at 14:20

FGTR?

From Genesis to Revelation, their first album

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Date Posted: March 09 2020 at 01:24

FGTR?

yep that was recorded 67-68 when prog was not really a thing. They got 'with the program' on Trespass.

Date Posted: March 09 2020 at 01:29
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Pineapple on pizza? I'd eat that if I was starving, but lets face it, mighty meaty pizza or a doner calzone (both with hot chillies) are both 1970-1977 genesis....anything with pineapple on would be 1978 onwards genesis....completely unappealing to the pizza/prog cogniscenti.....😎

70-77 were the symphonic prog years but Duke and ATTWT are still favourites of mine albeit they would probably fit under Crossover if were trying to use modern classifications. I still remember the feeling of depression of first hearing Abacab and that never goes away! The only other time I felt that bad was when ELP released In The Hot Seat Ouch

Date Posted: March 09 2020 at 01:30
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

70-77 were the symphonic prog years but Duke and ATTWT are still favourites of mine albeit they would probably fit under Crossover if were trying to use modern classifications. I still remember the feeling of depression of first hearing Abacab and that never goes away! The only other time I felt that bad was when ELP released In The Hot Seat Ouch

btw I also think that Trick was the precursor of Neo Prog Tongue

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: March 09 2020 at 02:45
Voted "I don't listen to Genesis" and it's almost true. Never been a fan.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: March 09 2020 at 03:53
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Peter Gabriel era is the best, but I can enjoy anything up to the point that Hackett left. After that I'm not very interested.

Same here.

When Gabriel left, they lost their brain. When Hackett left, they lost their heart.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: March 09 2020 at 04:03

Other

Everything from Trespass up to and including Duke is fair game and then its mainly songs. I do own Abacrap but after that the only other Genesis albums I own is The Way We Walk - The Longs and the Ray Wilson album which barely counts as Genesis .

That's my position basically, everything from Trespass to Duke is excellent. Beyond that is patchy..

-------------

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: March 09 2020 at 06:16
Voted Other. I don't care much for Invisible Touch (though some of the B sides are OK), We Can't Dance, Calling All Stations, and From Genesis to Revelation. I like the Gabriel era more than the other eras, but I can't find much fault with the trio era up through the "Shapes" album. Again, depends on the mood.

Update (2023): I sometimes eat the cardboard box.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: March 09 2020 at 07:09

FGTR?

Of course, I've got it on LP and CD, not a fan though. I didn't recognise FGTR because the abb I am used to for many years is G2R, sometimes G to R. I've never seen it abbreviated as FGTR before.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: March 09 2020 at 07:57
All of it through Duke and a few songs after that...

-------------
The Prog Corner

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: March 09 2020 at 08:19
I first got into Genesis in the 80s and as such don't have the disdain for that period that many fans of their earlier stuff do. That explains my vote of, "I'm picky when it comes to the trio years albums songs"

In more recent years I have come to love a lot of their earlier stuff (except for From Genesis to Revelation) and I'm at the point now where I will only listen to bits and pieces of anything that comes after Wind & Wuthering. And Then There Were Three and Duke certainly have some good stuff that attempts to harken back to previous albums but after that, I find their poppier music, other than a handful of songs, to be of little interest. 

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: March 09 2020 at 08:55
I like most of the stuff through Duke, some of Abacab , then there is a significant fall off.

Posted By: Grubert
Date Posted: March 09 2020 at 12:19
From time to time I like to hear the old Genesis stuff, but only the Gabriel albums beginning with Trespass, with the best one being Foxtrott (9/10).

The first album From Genesis to Revelation is forgettable in that form, but could maybe be better if remixed with only the band's instruments left in. I already don't care much for A Trick of the Tail (6710), which is ok, and even less for the next 2 Wind and Wuthering (5/10) and And Then There Were Three (4/10). From the later stuff I only know a few songs, which are nor bad, but overall their music seems then to be often boring, but at least Mama is a strong one.
And I always liked that vid for Land of Confusion, a nice but not great song.

Date Posted: March 09 2020 at 12:39
I reckon Phil Collins is the origin of the covid-19 virus....

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: March 12 2020 at 00:29
Of course I mostly love the Gabriel era, but there's stuff I love from the Collins years too.

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: March 12 2020 at 01:06
Although I very occasionally venture to ATTWT and Duke, and then only certain tracks..... I really only listen to the albums up to 1977 (including Seconds Out). Steve Hackett leaving changed their sound and outlook. Good luck to them and their tour, but not for me personally.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: March 15 2020 at 23:14
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

...ATTWT... is phenomenal. I'm always surprised to see it written off as a "lesser" Genesis album. Tony's synths sound HUGE and the songs are crisp. "Down and Out" is one of their best songs.

I think that many people can't get passed Follow You Follow Me was a hit single and reject the album because of it.  You can hear the cries of "Sellout, sellout. This is not MY Genesis!"  Check the older albums music fans, they tried hit singles before, they just never had one.   There is a plenty to love on this album.  You mentioned Down and Out and that song is great.  My favs are Undertow  and The Lady Lies.  There is nothing here that I skip except Say Its Alright Joe and that's not because its a bad song, its because it doesn't fit the mood I'm in.  Monster keys all over this album.  Stellar drumming when necessary.  Rutherford still manning the bass.  The only negative is, yes, not having Hackett hurts.  Still an excellent album.

Date Posted: March 16 2020 at 03:43
^ I'd rather listen to Follow You, Follow me than Your Own Special Way LOL
Nobody rejects W&W because of YOSW LOL

Anyway, I've always loved ATTW3 

Date Posted: March 16 2020 at 04:52
^^^ Me too. ATTWT is mostly excellent. I think Ballad of Big and Scenes from a Nights Dream are the weakest tracks. I can tolerate FYFM.

Down & Out and Undertow would easily be in my Genesis top 10, and Burning Rope and The Lady Lies are classics.

-------------

Date Posted: March 19 2020 at 07:30
I listened quite recently "Wind & Wuthering" & "...Then There Were". I have always liked quite much Wind, but never got fully into Then There Were. I am not sure what the reason is, but maybe it´s that to me Then There Were sounds like they still trying to do prog although band has gone into more direction of Duke. I mean it sounds little bit forced album to me. I like Duke more. But not saying Then There Were totally bad album.

Also, one reason could be I heard W&W already in the eighties when started to listen prog, but TTW3 in the end of nineties, when prog wasn´t "the new thing" to me anymore.

Date Posted: March 19 2020 at 15:38
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

^^^ Me too. ATTWT is mostly excellent. I think Ballad of Big and Scenes from a Nights Dream are the weakest tracks. I can tolerate FYFM.

Down & Out and Undertow would easily be in my Genesis top 10, and Burning Rope and The Lady Lies are classics.

I actually like Ballad Of Big. It has one killer line 'Big John was scared' . In the context of the song that's  always enough to get me. 
My favourite track on the album is Deep In The Motherlode. but the ones you mention are also great. I think they cleverly mixed the ballads in with the heavier tracks so you get some contrast , a bit of light and shade. Unlike any other album they did ,it also heavily revolves around the drums and keyboards , which makes sense with Hackett now out of the picture. I know people would never compare it to ELP but it does a bit of that bombastic vibe going through it imo. 

Posted By: Braka1
Date Posted: March 20 2020 at 04:36
I didn't entirely lose interest after Gabriel left - it wasn't as catastrophic as Waters leaving Floyd - but I no longer own any post-Gabriel albums.

-------------

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean

Date Posted: March 20 2020 at 05:03

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I actually like Ballad Of Big. It has one killer line 'Big John was scared' . In the context of the song that's  always enough to get me. 
My favourite track on the album is Deep In The Motherlode. but the ones you mention are also great. I think they cleverly mixed the ballads in with the heavier tracks so you get some contrast , a bit of light and shade. Unlike any other album they did ,it also heavily revolves around the drums and keyboards , which makes sense with Hackett now out of the picture. I know people would never compare it to ELP but it does a bit of that bombastic vibe going through it imo. 

Yeah it's definitely a drums and keys album, I agree. It's an album which I have a great fondness for, as it really got me into the band, but I understand the criticism.

The ballads are some their best IMO; Undertow and Many too Many are lovely songs. I've just listened to BOB again. It's not bad. The verses are the best parts. The repetition of that main keyboard riff after the second verse sounds a little lazy to me for some reason. Not sure why. It's a logical song structure, but maybe it's just the return to that key from whatever key the verse was in, that sounds weak to me. Difficult to explain.

-------------

Date Posted: December 01 2023 at 13:12
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

LOL

Posted By: Heart of the Matter
Date Posted: December 01 2023 at 14:51
I prefer the albums up until 1977 (so, I voted the 2nd option) but I can listen to ATTW3 and Duke too (except for Turn It On Again) and a couple of miscellaneous tracks beyond that, like Abacab or Home By The Sea.

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: December 01 2023 at 15:03
I only listen to the albums up until 1977 and after 1996. Smile

Posted By: Gordy
Date Posted: December 01 2023 at 15:03
Up to '77 only, and I'm one of those weirdos who thinks From Genesis to Revelation is severely underrated.

Date Posted: December 01 2023 at 16:31
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

Up to '77 only, and I'm one of those weirdos who thinks From Genesis to Revelation is severely underrated.

I like the debut as well. Gabriel saves the album for me. Tongue

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: December 01 2023 at 17:06
Personally, I like all albums from Trespass up until Duke.

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: December 01 2023 at 17:14
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I'd like to say that I listen until Duke and Shapes' A-side but in practicality I never go beyond Seconds Out.

Update: I'd say that I don't go beyond ATTWT, nowadays.

In the last years, I've had a fair bit of sympathy for that album, though I do think the flipside's ending is weaker (the boring Say It's Allright, Joe and the awful FYFM), but it's not like I spin it more than previous albums.

============

I like somewhat FGTR. 
Having the lyrics and illustrations (already present in the original pressing, but very often absent in different releases afterwards) help understand the album's story.

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: December 02 2023 at 03:27
my ranking:

1970-1973: great
1983-1991: very good
1974-1976: good
1978-1981: meh
1969&1997: no

Posted By: mellotronwave
Date Posted: December 02 2023 at 03:33
Trespass to Duke

Posted By: Octopus II
Date Posted: December 02 2023 at 04:12
Trespass to And Then There Were Three. Smile

Posted By: Steve Wyzard
Date Posted: December 04 2023 at 12:43
Fanboy: Foxtrot to We Can't Dance.

Posted By: David_D
Date Posted: December 04 2023 at 13:06

I only listen to Trespass, Foxtrot, NC, SEbtP and The Lamb.

-------------
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond

Posted By: Progishness
Date Posted: December 04 2023 at 13:49
To be honest with the exception of 'Nursery Crime', 'Foxtrot' and 'SEBTP' Genesis have never quite pressed all my buttons when it comes to prog.

[I know that makes me not a proper prog fan before anyone says it.]

-------------
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2

Date Posted: December 04 2023 at 13:50
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

To be honest with the exception of 'Nursery Crime', 'Foxtrot' and 'SEBTP' Genesis have never quite pressed all my buttons when it comes to prog.

[I know that makes me not a proper prog fan before anyone says it.]

There is no such thing as "proper prog" or "proper prog fan". Smile

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: December 04 2023 at 14:06
It's the no proper Prog fan fallacy.

Libby: "No proper Prog fan has not had their buttons properly pressed by at least four classic Genesis albums."

Edna: "I'm a Prog fan and I have not had my buttons properly pressed by more than Nursery Crime, Foxtrout and Spelling England by the Pound."

Libby: "No proper Prog fan has not had their buttons properly pressed by at least four classic Genesis albums... And it's Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, and Selling England by the Pound as any proper Prog would know."

Edit: just so people know, that is my little play on the No true Scotsman fallacy.

Posted By: Lesanderd
Date Posted: December 04 2023 at 14:45
I mostly listen to classics from the seventies, (Gabriel's albums plus the first two with Phil on vox, but sometimes when I need something to cheer me up, I listen to We cant dance and some tunes from The Invisible Touch

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: December 05 2023 at 21:06
I guess "I'm picky" is my answer.  I really don't listen to Genesis much but prefer the epics from early albums.  The 2 albums post Gabriel are fine and, while I never got into the first few post Hackett albums, the big hit albums all have a few good tracks

Date Posted: December 05 2023 at 22:19

LOL I do miss his wisecracks.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: December 05 2023 at 22:36

Same here I suppose. I'm quite indifferent to all of Genesis' post-1977 albums (but I can enjoy the odd song, and actually love all their three big hits from their self titled 1983-album) and find From Genesis to Revelation enchanting. I've listened to it just as much as Trick and Wind... actually - and more than anything that came after. But the a lot of the charm and beauty to me lies in the ambitious yet unfinished, youthful and dead serious, wide eyed, heart on the sleeve naivety of Gabriels vocal delivery. Something that can only occur once, very early in the lifetime of a prodigious teenager such as him (and his pals). There's a promise of what to come next on their debut album, that adds to my enjoyment. But do I actually think it's underrated... I don't know. I rate it as highly as the previously mentioned Trick... and Wind..., which is "probably too high" - if I try to look at those three albums with a little more distance/objectively. I can easily understand how someone else listen to their debut and only hear a college band that share similarities with The Bee Gees, Moody Blues and Donovan... but are not fully there - or have become themselves - just yet.

-------------

Date Posted: December 05 2023 at 22:49
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Same here I suppose. I'm quite indifferent to all of Genesis' post-1977 albums (but I can enjoy the odd song, and actually love all their three big hits from their self titled 1983-album) and find From Genesis to Revelation enchanting. I've listened to it just as much as Trick and Wind... actually - and more than anything that came after. But the a lot of the charm and beauty to me lies in the ambitious yet unfinished, youthful and dead serious, wide eyed, heart on the sleeve naivety of Gabriels vocal delivery. Something that can only occur once, very early in the lifetime of a prodigious teenager such as him (and his pals). There's a promise of what to come next on their debut album, that adds to my enjoyment. But do I actually think it's underrated... I don't know. I rate it as highly as the previously mentioned Trick... and Wind..., which is "probably too high" - if I try to look at those three albums with a little more distance/objectively. I can easily understand how someone else listen to their debut and only hear a college band that share similarities with The Bee Gees, Moody Blues and Donovan... but are not fully there - or have become themselves - just yet.

I don't hear any real connection from the the debut to Trespass. Genesis were never innovators, they saw what was happening in music and jumped on the bandwagon. (of course many did inc Gentle Giant, Yes etc). 

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: December 05 2023 at 23:30
^Really? No real connection? I do. I would gladly take both In the Beginning and The Serpent over Visions of Angels on Trespass. I think those songs plus a couple more, points towards their follow-up album - and what was to come. The ambition of wanting to create something "grand" and profound can easily be heard imo. I wasn't talking about innovators as in pushing music in general forward (or at all really). That's only relevant for very few artists/bands in the history of music. Genesis (and Yes, GG...) innovated their own sound and found their own, unmistakable voice. That's what matters the most to me. I wouldn't reduce being inspired by a band paving possible ways forward, simply to jump on the bandwagon. To me that comes across as if they were dishonest in their search. I imagine it's more like listening to In the Court... in awe and a "why didn't we think of that?" - sort of reaction. Like feeling the need to step up your own game.

-------------

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: December 06 2023 at 00:52

LOL I do miss his wisecracks.
I do not. Very glad to not see his comments anymore haha.

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: December 06 2023 at 02:33
I'm so picky that I am an other kind of listener... My most preferred Genesis album is The Lamb..., my most listened to is Abacab and from the 70s albums I prefer Trespass and Wind & Wuthering over the others. I think Duke is Dull and I do like to listen to the s/t album (good pop is good!). So, there you have it.

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Posted By: Progkast
Date Posted: December 21 2023 at 13:25
.... Kind of a fangirl.. js - been a deep Genesis fan since 1975 when I was 12. I listen to it all (except CAS).

I like all eras of Genesis, some albums/eras more than others. The only one I don't like is with Ray Wilson... but I'm beginning to warm up a little bit, simply due to Tony Banks' contributions. You can burn RW's live version of Turn it On Again.. simply horrible. But yes, I dig the Progiest the most, and this is NOT the PG era per se, nor only the PG era. As some of Genesis' best music was from the two albums following PG's departure. With two strong writers in Mike and Tony - and Phil and Tony being the best musicians... Genesis thrived instrumentally and musically after PG left. The older, PG era (before TLLDoB), was simply more mellotronic and mesmeric in a "timey" sort of way. PG didn't do much in the Prog arena after he left, so the argument that the band was nothing after him is moot.

I, admittedly, though do like the Power Pop Rock era (that means some of Duke [Duke has some VERY strong Prog within, not just Power Pop Rock] and all of Abacab), not quite so much the following albums as they were more Pop and less Power. Besides Calling all Stations (easily the worst), the second worst, IMHO is "Genesis". Whereas Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering are up there alongside Selling England (the best), and Foxtrot. Also up there is Abacab, though mostly not Prog, it is great for the music genre which it is, and far better than most any other music put out at the same time by other bands in that genre.

https://soundcloud.com/progkast" rel="nofollow - Progkast

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk