Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122683
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 11:50
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: First three Rush albums
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: First three Rush albums
Date Posted: April 09 2020 at 18:24
I was tempted to toss in 2112 but I figured that would too easily beat the others. 

Replies:
Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: April 09 2020 at 18:53
Close call but I think Fly By Night is most consistent.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: April 09 2020 at 19:54
Caress of Steel takes my vote. 

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: April 09 2020 at 20:47
I absolutley love the debut album. Caress of Steel is a close second

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: April 09 2020 at 21:39
Caress by a decent margin. FBN is more focused but I think it's experiments aren't as enjoyable. Caress is a perfect album to relax with on a sunny day.

Not knocking the debut, but it isn't one of my favorite Rush albums.

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: April 09 2020 at 21:46
FBN, but pretty much a pass on the lot. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: April 09 2020 at 23:05
FBN for me also, although Caress is really close and first album is fun listening when you don´t listen it too often. Great you don´t put 2112 in this, it would have been really boring poll. Have there been 2112 - a Farewell to Kings - Hemispheres poll (or 2112 - Hemispheres poll because I think one of those two will will, although Farewell is as great)?

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 09 2020 at 23:10
Caress Of Steel, hands down. I can’t get into their debut at all, Fly By Night is only decent for me, but Caress is my favourite early Rush album (then Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures). Throw in Signals, then these are all I need from these guys.

Posted By: Enchant X
Date Posted: April 09 2020 at 23:36
Caress of Steel because I think Rush started to think bigger about then ... sure it isn't perfect but I'd give  it a solid 4 stars.  very ambitious and for that ambition it gets an extra score from me.  Tongue

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: April 10 2020 at 00:30
2112 is several magnitudes better than the first three...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 10 2020 at 00:33
I am a Rush fan but I just don't bother with the first 3 albums. By-Tor and the Snow Dog is the only track I remotely care about but I would rather listen to the ATWAS version and not the album version.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: April 10 2020 at 00:40
Caress of Steel, obviously. Fly by Night has By-Tor and the Snow Dog, but, like richardh writes, the live version blows it away.

-------------

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: April 10 2020 at 05:44
Caress of Steel just ahead of Fly By Night.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: April 10 2020 at 07:15
Caress of Steel easily.

I do like Fly By Night very much but I rarely listen to the debut album anymore

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: April 10 2020 at 07:30
COS.

Posted By: DarkTower
Date Posted: April 10 2020 at 07:37
Fly By Night, for By-Tor 

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: April 10 2020 at 08:19
Caress of Steel mostly because of The Necromancer

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: judahbenkenobi
Date Posted: April 10 2020 at 10:02
My vote untied the results, so far! There were 12 and 12 between FBN and CoS.

I had to think a little hard about my vote. In my reviews of these albums I rated FBN with 3 stars and CoS with 3.5, so that should be enough to make up my mind. But today I voted for the sophomore album. I just love By-Tor & the Snow Dog, Anthem, BB&B, and In the End. Rivendell is the worst thing under the Rush name, definitely.

Forgive me for contradicting my own review

Date Posted: April 10 2020 at 10:10
^And yet rivendell still came in at number 32 on a list of 167 ranked rush songs worst to best. I like it ok and think it gets unfairly bashed but even I wouldn't rank it that high. For me it gets the prize for sleepiest rush song. If there's one rush song that will put you to sleep that's the one. That by itself doesn't make it bad though you just have to be in the mood(no pun intended) to appreciate it.

Posted By: VianaProghead
Date Posted: April 10 2020 at 10:36
I'm not very confortabçle to talk about those album, yet.

-------------
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: April 10 2020 at 11:34
Tough choice as I really enjoy all 3 albums pretty much equally. But I picked CoS, if you think about the fact that CoS was released 1 yr after the debut, to go from Zeppelin/Who/Cream to The Necromancer and Fountain of Lamneth......awesome!

-------------

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: April 10 2020 at 11:48
Fly By Night

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: Gentle and Giant
Date Posted: April 10 2020 at 12:27
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I absolutley love the debut album. Caress of Steel is a close second

Snap. Debut for me. It's so raw and Working Man of course.

-------------
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: April 10 2020 at 15:01
Fly By Night just edges out Caress of Steel - mainly because of By-Tor and the Snow Dog

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: April 11 2020 at 01:16
I think that rush improved on evey release untiń their peak , the brilliant Hemispheres...it would have been hard to improve on that and they never did...not suprisingly the debut has got few votes, unsuprising for a no nonsense heavy rock album verses the evolving prog metal of the next two releases...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: April 11 2020 at 01:54
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I think that rush improved on evey release untiń their peak , the brilliant Hemispheres...it would have been hard to improve on that and they never did...not suprisingly the debut has got few votes, unsuprising for a no nonsense heavy rock album verses the evolving prog metal of the next two releases...

Not implying that the next few aren't also amazing though. Wink

My personal fav is AFTK. Hems has always read as a little clinical to me, ironic considering the concept of the title track. My favorite track from it is The Trees, though these days La Villa tends to contest it. 

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Date Posted: April 11 2020 at 02:27

also no Peart which makes a massive difference. Initially they sounded like a bad Lez Zep tribute band but Peart pulled them away from that thankfully.

I prefer A Farewell To Kings over Hemispheres. For me Xanadu is the peak of that 'prog metal' period . Actually it's more symphonic than prog metal which is probably why I love it so much!

Date Posted: April 11 2020 at 02:28
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Not implying that the next few aren't also amazing though. Wink

My personal fav is AFTK. Hems has always read as a little clinical to me, ironic considering the concept of the title track. My favorite track from it is The Trees, though these days La Villa tends to contest it. 

Yep same here. I think they were refining the formula to a point where it didn't feel very natural.

Posted By: Enchant X
Date Posted: April 11 2020 at 02:53
Just been listening to The Fountain Of Lamneth ...in my own opinion there's no way anything on Fly By Night reaches these peaks and I do really like Fly By Night BTW. I'm not so keen on the first album probably because they sounded too much like led zep who definitely aren't my cup of tea. But with respect I know many people like the first album, just not for me. Tongue

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: April 11 2020 at 06:01
FBN by a mile really.

Not only because the shorter songs are the best in their early trilogy, but only two tracks of the debut (Finding My Way and Working Man) and none of COS would find a spot on it by edging out the weaker FBN songs.

As for the two mammoth tracks on COS, they're dinausors compared to their next epics, and the By Tor epic is better than Lamneth and Necromancer (despite being shorter). Something's wrong with them, to my ears., and believe me, this 12/13yo tried like hell to love them. They never really hit my target.

Date Posted: April 11 2020 at 08:30
I think FBN is the most consistent of these but I still voted for COS because the high points are better imo. They really pushed themselves on that one and it set the stage for 2112. I actually like it more than 2112.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: April 11 2020 at 10:28
Most of 'Steel is pleasantly appealing. That can't be said about 'Night.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: UMUR
Date Posted: April 11 2020 at 12:00
I´m not a huge fan of either of them, but Fly By Night gets my vote.

-------------
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/" rel="nofollow - Metal Music Archives

https://rateyourmusic.com/~UMUR" rel="nofollow - UMUR on RYM

Posted By: Progfan1958
Date Posted: April 11 2020 at 23:17
Considering Fly Buy Night was my first Rush album , bought upon release in 1975, it get's my vote.

-------------
Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 12 2020 at 02:19
As to be Fly By Night for me...

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: April 13 2020 at 07:37
love all 3 of them basically equally

giving the debut some love

-------------
Prog On!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk