Forum Description: Talk with and get feedback from other musicians on the site
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122708
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 01:59
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Your Band Names
Posted By: BrufordFreak
Subject: Your Band Names
Date Posted: April 13 2020 at 08:08
A lot of us have played in informal, unsigned / unpublished,  signed and published, even imaginary bands over the course of our lifetimes. I'm just curious, purely for entertainment sake, as to what some of your band names were.

Mine were: 

The Squirms
Moths
The Lobotomy Brothers
Billy Bob & The Deaftones

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Replies:
Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: April 13 2020 at 08:34
Breakdown
Peter Gunn
Several Species Of Small Furry Animals
Les Herbes
Vomit Blues Band
Tyly Tuoli
Blind Pilots
Red
the Centrioles
Patala Band
King Kongs
the Flamin`Rollators
Rengassydänmuuntaja
Azma
Talousporsas
Howlin`Bros

I believe there have been some other "projects" that were so short haven´t got names. Flamin Rollators and Howlin Bros still exists.

Posted By: Shadowyzard
Date Posted: April 13 2020 at 09:28
Demonster - Not active anymore. Genre: A very mixed bag (My first band, we were just doing covers in various genres, from 12 Stones to System of a Down; Moonspell to Dio; Stratovarius to Cradle of Filth, haha.)
Celestial Asylum  - Still Active. Genre: Prog-power metal (We released a demo in 2004, and are working on our first full-length album.)
Knightmare - Active but with another vocalist. Genre: Heavy/power metal (We released a full-length album.)
Outland - Not active anymore. Genre: hard & heavy (We did some covers generally in hard & heavy style: Black Sabbath, Scorpions, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Skid Row, Iron Maiden etc.)

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: April 13 2020 at 09:40
Alexander von Ostwestfalen
Wale denken leise (Wales Think Quietly)
Vakuum (Vacuum, guest musician)
Poeten und Moerder (Poets and Murderers)
Funex
(last two still active)

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: April 13 2020 at 09:43
The Gazaans - The name of the first band I played keyboards in.  Mostly covers of folk rock.
Clobber D. Dobber - an intentionally bad new wave band
Sam and Ella - Folk rock and classical piano solos
Youth in Asia - Progressive Jazz
Monstrous Dwarfism - Eclectic and Avant-prog
Tonka Steam Shovels from Hell - Post metal and experimental weirdness

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: April 13 2020 at 12:04
I played in 2 hard core punk bands in high school:

1984: Idiotic Behavior
1985-86: Balance of Terror

Graduation year BOT shifted gears to a more crossover metal style and became Paradox

I did a few industrial sample head songs under the name Jesus Fish Superstar Wars.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: April 17 2020 at 09:07
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Breakdown
Peter Gunn
Les Herbes
Vomit Blues Band
Tyly Tuoli
Blind Pilots
Red
the Centrioles
Patala Band
King Kongs
the Flamin`Rollators
Rengassydänmuuntaja
Azma
Talousporsas
Howlin`Bros

I believe there have been some other "projects" that were so short haven´t got names. Flamin Rollators and Howlin Bros still exists.

Some good ones in there! I especially like Vomit Blues Band, Blind Pilots and Azma! (I like humor.)

-------------
Drew Fisher

Date Posted: April 17 2020 at 09:09
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Demonster - Not active anymore. Genre: A very mixed bag (My first band, we were just doing covers in various genres, from 12 Stones to System of a Down; Moonspell to Dio; Stratovarius to Cradle of Filth, haha.)
Celestial Asylum  - Still Active. Genre: Prog-power metal (We released a demo in 2004, and are working on our first full-length album.)
Knightmare - Active but with another vocalist. Genre: Heavy/power metal (We released a full-length album.)
Outland - Not active anymore. Genre: hard & heavy (We did some covers generally in hard & heavy style: Black Sabbath, Scorpions, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Skid Row, Iron Maiden etc.)

Love your names--especially Demonster and Celestial Asylum! Clever!

-------------
Drew Fisher

Date Posted: April 17 2020 at 09:10
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Funex
(last two still active)

Awesome! I LOVE Alexander Ostwestfalen! and Poets and Murderers! What types of muzak?

-------------
Drew Fisher

Date Posted: April 17 2020 at 09:12
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

The Gazaans - The name of the first band I played keyboards in.  Mostly covers of folk rock.

Great word plays! I feel as if I've heard of Youth in Asia. Is this possible?
Your stylistic forays have been quite diverse!

-------------
Drew Fisher

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: April 17 2020 at 09:13
My current band can never agree on a name, so far we've been -
The Sea Bears
The Irresponsible Adults
If 6 Was 9
Red Mullet Fantasy
The Remedy

Date Posted: April 17 2020 at 09:41
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Great word plays! I feel as if I've heard of Youth in Asia. Is this possible?
Your stylistic forays have been quite diverse!

Youth in Asia was used a couple of times actually, about the same time as we were using it.  There was a punk band with that name and also a no wave band. 

Our version of it was 7 of us that were majoring in Broadcasting at the University and we played locally mostly.  This was around 1979.

-------------

Posted By: Shadowyzard
Date Posted: April 17 2020 at 09:41
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

If 6 Was 9

Is it related to "SIX without "S" is 9 (IX)"?

Date Posted: April 17 2020 at 13:22

Breakdown
Peter Gunn
Les Herbes
Vomit Blues Band
Tyly Tuoli
Blind Pilots
Red
the Centrioles
Patala Band
King Kongs
the Flamin`Rollators
Rengassydänmuuntaja
Azma
Talousporsas
Howlin`Bros

Some good ones in there! I especially like Vomit Blues Band, Blind Pilots and Azma! (I like humor.)
Not sure, was Azma originally humor at all (I wasn´t at first in it), I think it was kind of contortion about Asthma. But anyway the band members haven´t ever been absolutely serious (it´s a punk band). Vomit Blues Band came when one of our band member was vomiting after drinking too much (it was not me).

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: April 17 2020 at 17:08
Dark Secret (my first band in high school, the 80s)
The Ice Water Blues Outfit (a college thing)
The Blue Sign Factory (a duo, also originated in college, and has continued off-and-on to the present day. 2 albums on Bandcamp that I’m very proud of)
Hell (me and my keyboardist friend improvising original songs during breqks from college)
Lexus Test Drive (basically me and my friend getting stoned in the late 90s and making up crazed songs& skits)
Rare Goat (an actual band for which I sing & play guitar. Latest was a music video for “Rocket Launch Caroline”)

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 17 2020 at 18:06
Some names that were suggested back in school for our ‘band’ -
A Noise Annoys (yeah, good one Smitz, wherever you are....)
Fretboard Abacus - though every time we jammed it would be something else.

and the current project I’m sometimes involved with - Eyes of Etherea.

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: April 17 2020 at 18:20
Not mine, but husband's band names were:  Yellow Autumn, Still, Museum & Mistress Quickly  All were progressive bands.

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Date Posted: April 17 2020 at 18:24
From others above, my faves are The Lobotomy Brothers, Blind Pilots, Poets & Murderers & Rare Goat  Clap 

-------------

Posted By: stegor
Date Posted: April 17 2020 at 18:42
Limpid Green
Bat Lenny
The Square Foot Facility
At the time we picked Limpid Green it was the mid 70s and the Syd Barrett version of Pink Floyd was practically unheard of here so it was a pretty obscure phrase. We were 16. Made awful noises. Revived it about 10 years ago, improved a bit.
Bat Lenny came about when somebody tried saying Jack Benny and it came out wrong.
The Square Foot Facility didn’t last long but I liked the name.

Date Posted: April 17 2020 at 23:33
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

From others above, my faves are The Lobotomy Brothers, Blind Pilots, Poets & Murderers & Rare Goat  Clap 
Thanx! Just noticed there is another Blind Pilots at the moment, founded in 2018. Also one troubadour name "Blind Pilot". Our band was in 1992-96, we were playing some kind of stoner thing (bands main songwriter liked a lot that time bands like Monster Magnet, Kyuss etc.). I played bass and sang few of my songs. Originally band name was Dischord, but I quess there was a same name band that time so band leader wanted to change name into BP.

Date Posted: April 18 2020 at 08:34

Thanx! Just noticed there is another Blind Pilots at the moment, founded in 2018. Also one troubadour name "Blind Pilot". Our band was in 1992-96, we were playing some kind of stoner thing (bands main songwriter liked a lot that time bands like Monster Magnet, Kyuss etc.). I played bass and sang few of my songs. Originally band name was Dischord, but I quess there was a same name band that time so band leader wanted to change name into BP.

At least the leader thought to check!  There are so many repeats of band names, even still.  As you doubtless know, there are repeats from way back in the day such as UK and US Kaleidoscope band names.  And of course, from younger people who may not know of early bands with the same name now, but they should know to check the internet these days.

-------------

Date Posted: April 18 2020 at 08:44

At least the leader thought to check!  There are so many repeats of band names, even still.  As you doubtless know, there are repeats from way back in the day such as UK and US Kaleidoscope band names.  And of course, from younger people who may not know of early bands with the same name now, but they should know to check the internet these days.
...and there was also Caribbean Kaleidoscope in the same time! UK Kaleidoscope has been my favorite of those. Also Nirvana already existed in the UK at sixties...today bands just seem not care about having same name. There are Howling Brothers in the US and I would have wanted to change our bluestrio name because of that, but my brother said "why change, almost every my earlier band name were duplicates..."

Posted By: flyingveepixie
Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 03:21
Cream Egg
Moondaze
Syntax
Harry Reptile
Eleanor Rigby
Fatal Error
Drop Zone
The Armchair Advocates

And a few others where names were changed so often that the band(s) eventually fell apart because no one could agree on anything..

Here's the Cream Egg Song on Bandcamp.  This dates back to 1975 although it was recorded in 2013.  Needs re-recording I think...

https://kennymitchell.bandcamp.com/track/the-cream-egg-song

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 04:10

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Funex
(last two still active)

Awesome! I LOVE Alexander Ostwestfalen! and Poets and Murderers! What types of muzak?

Ay, missed that question. A former member sells old Alexander von Ostwestfalen stuff on bandcamp,
https://hotelencore.bandcamp.com/album/anemone-nemorosa
however I think we were very young and mostly not very good (although we didn't realise that at the time).
Poeten and Murder have some stuff on soundcloud, there is some proggy stuff there (I push proggy and instrumental stuff more, my music partner is a more melodic quirky art rock/pop lover).
https://soundcloud.com/poeten-und-moerder
Funex is free improvisation based on noises and sounds, probably not your taste, There's a bit on my other bandcamp site, and one by Wale denken leise (which is a strongly Martyn Bates influenced singer/guitarist and me doing arrangements and some other instruments for him, around 1990; actually right now we do a new internet collaboration piece together):
https://soundcloud.com/lewian

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 06:26
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

If 6 Was 9

Is it related to "SIX without "S" is 9 (IX)"?

No, it's a Jimi Hendrix song.

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 16:32
Mine are one-man projects:
Superluminal Pachyderm - prog rock project composed on computer (had a couple collaborations on my Prum and Sea of Peas albums, but the rest is just me); active since 1999; 9 albums; working on a new album right now; not sure how I would describe it... kinda weird stuff, sort of a mix of neo prog, space rock, avant-garde, and maybe Thomas Dolby??

Amalgamated Hippopotamus - an electronic experiment that deconstructs recordings from the above project; active since 2019; 5 albums

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 18:19
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Superluminal Pachyderm - prog rock project composed on computer (had a couple collaborations on my Prum and Sea of Peas albums, but the rest is just me); active since 1999; 9 albums; working on a new album right now; not sure how I would describe it... kinda weird stuff, sort of a mix of neo prog, space rock, avant-garde, and maybe Thomas Dolby??

Amalgamated Hippopotamus - an electronic experiment that deconstructs recordings from the above project; active since 2019; 5 albums

A new album?  Cool!

Are socks involved?

-------------

Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 20:57
I once played in a band called Lilac, but I left after approximately a year, and they changed name to Bias.

Other than that, I've mostly made music in my own name. Not particularly proggy though, but the song "Uoriginal sang" has a kind of tricky chorus and some irregular bars. Another one is in 5/4...

https://andersejsing.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - http://andersejsing.bandcamp.com

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: May 13 2020 at 16:13

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

A new album?  Cool!

Are socks involved?

Socks are always involved.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: Woon Deadn
Date Posted: May 14 2020 at 16:09
I have already posted it somewhere in the deeper jungles of this forum that I have dreamed of making own rock band called NO. May be taken as opposing the band's name Yes - but in reality it had a more sophisticated meaning. 

I thought of my favorite fruit at the time - perhaps, it was orange. And my favorite number was nine. Ninth Orange or, in short, NO. 

However, the mystical side of that name was yet to discover. Like ten or so years after the invention I have finally understood that if translated in Russian, it would become Devyaty Apelsin - that is, DA, that is YES... 

How can one not believe in supernatural forces then?!. 

-------------
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: August 29 2020 at 04:47
I play in an alternative rock band called Mother Bass

-------------
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 08:41
I was in a band called Melochromia (around 2013) but we disbanded before we even played/recorded/written anything.
Here's the logo I designed for the project:

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: Xyth
Date Posted: November 08 2020 at 14:05
My high school band was called Steel Penguins. We wore tuxedos. That was rather impractical.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: November 08 2020 at 14:10
Profound Intrusion.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: November 21 2020 at 19:27
Played in various Glasgow bar bands in the 80's all of whom underwent several name changes:
Off the Cuff, Apostrophe, Exit the Lemming, the Reprieve, the Whistling Mothers, the Damnation Army, Hurricane Gary (and my favourite) Sausage ²

-------------

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: November 22 2020 at 17:14
Let's see:

The Mercury Orchestra (not to be confused with the actual orchestra by the same name)
Identity Theft
Laminar Flow
Early Morning
Boreal Kinship
Silent Script
Daniel Martin & The Infamous
Pepperland
Rockology

I'm actually still involved with the last 5 - although thanks to COVID, I'm usually not too busy rehearsing with them lately. I think the other 4 have dissolved mostly by now. This doesn't count the groups I played with while going through music school, which all have boring names like Symphonic Wind Ensemble.

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: December 06 2020 at 01:18
Jazz groups with my friends. In Middle School: The Real Enigmatics. After high school (with friends since elementary/middle/high school): King Chut.

Upcoming prog band with my partner Jarod Fedele (who has an album on here): Burnt Toast. Get ready, y'all.

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: December 06 2020 at 01:38
Never really been in a real band, but I've had a couple informal groups I've played in before.

To Brisk / Too Brisk / Two Brisk (spelling depending on lineup) - this was pretty much a talent show band with my high school friends. We played mostly acoustic covers of popular alternative songs with split male and female vocals for other high school students.

Turtleneck - this was another talent show sort of band, this time electric and more rock n roll. We spawned from working together on music for a big comedy and music show my dorm put on for our university, wound up playing a couple other gigs for a riley dance marathon and on the school football field for a senior celebration.

Drapes - this is a halfway imaginary band my best friend and I claim to be in. The idea came from our other friend who said he wanted to start a punk band, so we told him to show up to my house ready to sing. I brought my bass and my best friend brought a couple buckets and kitchen utensils to hit them with. We actually tried writing some songs, or more like I wrote some weird lyrics for this weird band and we jammed once. Theoretically we're still together and liable to actually write a full song at any time.

Names are a lot of fun! I also made up an imaginary band name once, Violate Blues.

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: December 06 2020 at 11:44
in my youth I played keyboards for a blues-rock band called Galactic Tailors. later I joined a band called Ohmygodisms (read as Oh-my-God-isms); we played very strange music. I then founded the jazz-rock band Fluffy Fingers. with Friede I formed the Bald Angels, and my latest project is Mother Gaia, an all-female band consisting of Friede, my sister Bea, our daughters Alice and Dorothy and me

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: February 13 2021 at 11:46
Here goes!

Kite:  '77 high school garage rock band...
Elfhouse:  '78-'79 somewhat known San Jose Bay Area prog band
Rhodri's Hand:  '80 prog band that never got anywhere 

From here on, I quit playing in traditional "bands" and began handling all the instruments, songwriting and production myself in my "one man bands"...

General Cosmo: '81 to '84 the first of my one-man bands (named after a line in the Netherworld song, "Son of Sam") keyboard oriented sometimes prog
Sammy Davis and the Juniors: '83  special project for 1 song
Plateau Madd: '85 alternative/college rock rather than prog
MBD: '86 (aka Minimal Brain Dysfunction) short lived hardcore punk band
Lucifer Sam: '86 hardcore punk band
A Blatant Disgrace: '86-'87 hardcore punk/rock band
Mutiny in Jonestown: '87 to present, my primary band with 42 albums released so far.  In PA database under Neo Prog: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=10248" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=10248   Also at Bandcamp at: http://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/
The Mirror Test: '89 one off album project
Morpheus: '98 to present, began as my goth band but grew to include my modern classical compositions and synth adaptations of classical works (think Tomita).  14 albums released so far
WytchCrypt: '05 to present, began as an improv looping band but morphed into my progressive doom metal band in '14...9 albums released so far.  In PA database under Experimental/Post Metal:  http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=9666" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=9666   Also at Bandcamp at: http://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/
The Alchemy of Atlantis: '15 to present with 5 albums released so far.  Meant for my ears only and for any crazy thing that doesn't fit as Mutiny in Jonestown, Morpheus or WytchCrypt LOL

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: bsummers12
Date Posted: February 14 2021 at 06:16
The P-Town Rebels

The Mindbenders

The Seventh House on the Right

Posted By: Cboi Sandlin
Date Posted: April 01 2021 at 08:09
i was in the keyboard player in a band called "Strife", but we had to break up due to drama with our parents after recording one (terrible) song. I have just recently formed a band (we call ourselves "Anderson Council") of which i play guitar and sing for. As soon as we can find a drummer we are gonna start working on becoming a real high quality rock band. Wish me luck!

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: April 01 2021 at 10:14
Wow, There are a bunch. Some of the main ones were:

Shock of Rejection
 Reckless Momentum
 Odd Man Out
 Fossil Fuel
 Rock-it Science
 The Earthgrinders
 Retro Vinyl
 Moving in Shadows

Several other short lived projects I was involved in. Mostly bar cover bands although some of the bands played original music. 

Quick Update, If you Google Shock of Rejection and click on images there is a picture of us. I'm the guy in the phone booth. ( pic is from the early 80's) 

Posted By: Cboi Sandlin
Date Posted: April 01 2021 at 11:36
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Wow, There are a bunch. Some of the main ones were:

Shock of Rejection
 Reckless Momentum
 Odd Man Out
 Fossil Fuel
 Rock-it Science
 The Earthgrinders
 Retro Vinyl
 Moving in Shadows

Several other short lived projects I was involved in. Mostly bar cover bands although some of the bands played original music. 

Quick Update, If you Google Shock of Rejection and click on images there is a picture of us. I'm the guy in the phone booth. ( pic is from the early 80's) 

cool. did any of your bands make any records?

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 11:32
^ No, Lots of demos but no records. 
I'm sure if the original bands were around today we would try
 to put stuff out on Spotify or something. 

Posted By: Jacob Schoolcraft
Date Posted: December 26 2021 at 23:39
Black Widow, Witch, Buff The Musket, Pike's Peak           

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk