How would you rate ItCotCK by KC?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123055
Printed Date: May 06 2024 at 07:01
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: How would you rate ItCotCK by KC?
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: How would you rate ItCotCK by KC?
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:00

Sorry, only two choices.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Replies:
Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:04
Don’t you guys get tired of talking about the same 10 albums by the same 6 bands?

The album is 50 years old and has been discussed to death, there’s nothing new to say about it.

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:04
well, I don't know. 
There is no such thing as the best album ever, so you'd think I'd pick that second option, but no. So I don't know. 

Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:07
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Don’t you guys get tired of talking about the same 10 albums by the same 6 bands?

The album is 50 years old and has been discussed to death, there’s nothing new to say about it.
Stop bitching and vote.

-------------

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:11
The best prog album ever by approximation. Besides the quality of the songwriting, it has attracted so many bands and listeners to genre.

-------------
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.

Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:11
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

well, I don't know. 
There is no such thing as the best album ever, so you'd think I'd pick that second option, but no. So I don't know. 
Ok, I'll put in two more options to help you out.

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:13
Certainly in the top 25, a landmark album that may be the first full formed prog album, if nothing else it got Yes to up their game. But no not the best ever.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:15
no, prog didn’t peak 50 years ago. This is like going on an art forum and posting “is the Mona Lisa the greatest painting of all time.”

Here’s an idea for a thread, do an album of the week and chose generally lesser known albums. Every Sunday make a new post for it and have it stickied. Throughout the week members can listen and discus their thoughts and impressions on said album. Possibly only choose albums under a certain rating threshold etc, would be an infinitely more interesting discussion.

-------------

Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:17

no, prog didn’t peak 50 years ago. This is like going on an art forum and posting “is the Mona Lisa the greatest painting of all time.”

Here’s an idea for a thread, do an album of the week and chose generally lesser known albums. Every Sunday make a new post for it and have it stickied. Throughout the week members can listen and discus their thoughts and impressions on said album. Possibly only choose albums under a certain rating threshold etc, would be an infinitely more interesting discussion.
Why don't you go off and do that now. We'll be waiting for your posts. Smile

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:19

that's actually a good idea, why don't you do it? 

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:25
Even if I did believe that there was such a thing as the best prog album ever, I would vote for "Not the best prog album ever", unless of course I believed that there was a best prog album ever and that best prog album ever is ItCotCK by KC. As it is I don't believe that there is such a thing and vote "Not the best prog album ever".

I certainly do believe that it's one of the most significant albums in Prog and would not put any album over it in terms of its significance to Prog.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 06:27
^ I don’t know if I trust myself to be able to consistently make posts like that for a while^ but I’m sure someone here could. Many people here also have much more musical knowledge than I do so I probably wouldn’t be the best at picking albums, unless we stuck to a 100< ratings rule or something. I think threads like this are predictable, most comments will say something along the lines of “Court is one of the best and most important prog albums ever but I don’t think it’s the best”

-------------

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 07:54
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

The best prog album ever by approximation. Besides the quality of the songwriting, it has attracted so many bands and listeners to genre.

That'll do me.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 07:58
I would call it essential. A 4-star rating would do this album justice. It is by no means a masterpiece (though the first and the last track may qualify as masterpiece content), but the historic significance is undoubtedly there.

-------------

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 08:04
I've listened to and reviewed hundreds of prog albums that are "the best album ever", and In the Court of the Crimson King is just one of many albums that I'd give a five star rating to, although I wouldn't give five stars to any other King Crimson album, as their debut album is their best by far in my opinion. Smile

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 08:43
I've said it before, I don't love Court. Schizoid Man is great but for me the rest of the album is just OK. That being said  I understand it's very significant prog rock album, just not one of my favorites.  

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 08:51
It was probably the best for 1969, but not the best ever. Great album though. I do get more out of Poseidon than Court these days.

Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 08:51
I wouldn't call it the best prog album ever made, but it's a great album, no doubt about that (perhaps with "Epitaph" as the weakest track). My favourite parts are probably "I Talk to the Wind" and the "Illusion" section of "Moonchild".

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 10:15
My simple test for "is it the best album ever?".
Q "Is it called Music Inspired by The Snow Goose"
A "Yes" - then it is.
A "No" - then it isn't.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 10:18
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The problem with this is the response would be minimal. Maybe post only a song instead of the entire album?

The fact is...most of the current forum members want to discuss the same album forever. Maybe in 50 years that will change?

Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 10:35
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

My simple test for "is it the best album ever?".
Q "Is it called Music Inspired by The Snow Goose"
A "Yes" - then it is.
A "No" - then it isn't.

This, but for MoonmadnessTongue

Les Cinq Saison is an acceptable answer tooCool

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 10:36
Essential album, certainly. Historically important, yes. Greatest? No. There is, after all, about 12 minutes of tinkling and noodling on one song that could be reduced to about 2 minutes of actual worthwhile listening.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 12:51
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

There is, after all, about 12 minutes of tinkling and noodling on one song

That's actually my favourite part of the album.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 12:59
Gots to be #2 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 13:02
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

I've said it before, I don't love Court. Schizoid Man is great but for me the rest of the album is just OK. That being said  I understand it's very significant prog rock album, just not one of my favorites.  

Interesting. My opinion is the exact opposite of yours: Every other song is better than "Schizoid." It may be the most well-known, but IMO it's overrated. "Epitaph" is probably my fave. (And ItCotCK is still better than any one Floyd album.)

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 13:07
Its not the best prog album but its a great album its in my top 25 

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 13:11
Most important prog album ever but not the best though imo.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 14:37
I don't even think it's the most important prog album. It's one of them though but I would argue that CTTE is more important. 

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 14:41
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The problem with this is the response would be minimal. Maybe post only a song instead of the entire album?

The fact is...most of the current forum members want to discuss the same album forever. Maybe in 50 years that will change?

Make it a little bit more. The centennial remix will just have been released by then.

-------------

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 14:43
Excellent album. Broke some ground. Definitely edgy. But not the best.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 15:21
3.5 stars. A couple of cool tracks. Fairly outdated sound and style though. Poseidon is a better effort

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 16:03
'Itchycock' (to quote Dean Big smile) cycles in and out of fashion every twenty years or so in popular culture e.g. when the 90's EDM crowd deemed the Mellotron 'cool' again or in lieu of having any ideas at all, the old gets branded the new new. For me, contemporaneous albums by the Nice, Procul Harum and Arthur Brown have aged rather better. Regardless, 21st Century Schizoid Man, Epitaph and the title track are all still pretty damn indispensable for anyone wanting to trace the path from Psychedelia to Prog. Good albeit rather uneven 3 star album in my book.

-------------

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 16:41
Well it's not my favorite, though there's definitely an argument to be made for it being the most important or influential prog album of all time.

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 16:44
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

3.5 stars. A couple of cool tracks. Fairly outdated sound and style though. Poseidon is a better effort

I feel like Poseidon is on par with Court until about halfway through The Devil's Triangle, at which point I get pretty tired of it and Court starts to seem like the more appealing listen. I do love the Peace interludes though.

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 16:51
Not the best, but one of the most iconic albums of progressive music.

Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 18:18
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

I feel like Poseidon is on par with Court until about halfway through The Devil's Triangle, at which point I get pretty tired of it and Court starts to seem like the more appealing listen. I do love the Peace interludes though.

Personally, I think Poseidon falls off a steep cliff right after Cadence and Cascade. The title track is just a poor mans epitaph, cat food is a bad Beatles B-side and the Devils Triangle is just a snooze fest. Just my thoughts though.

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 19:11
I love it, 5 stars for me, but not the best. I too believe that if one album might get a chance of having more positive votes in a thread like this, it would be CttE... perhaps something from Genesis, like Selling England, or even some other album by King Crimson, I guess it would have to be Red. As for the most important, perhaps then ItCotCK might actually take the lead over CttE (at least in my mind), just for being the album that kickstarted the prog genre.

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 19:24
Historically important. A landmark album in the history of prog. 21st Century Schizoid Man and the title track are superb, the rest is fairly forgettable.

For historical importance 5 stars. For the album itself 4 stars, and it's not the greatest prog album of all time, it's not even the best King Crimson album.

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: judahbenkenobi
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 22:12

And there it is that you kept posting in the thread. It did make an interesting discussion after all! LOL

Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 23:31
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Historically important. A landmark album in the history of prog. 21st Century Schizoid Man and the title track are superb, the rest is fairly forgettable.

For historical importance 5 stars. For the album itself 4 stars, and it's not the greatest prog album of all time, it's not even the best King Crimson album.

yep pretty much spot on although Epitaph is very memorable as well. I suppose typical of so many great prog albums it had 3 Marquee tracks and a lot of other stuff. Perhaps Yes realised that you only ever have 3 great tracks for an album when they made CTTE Wink

Date Posted: May 23 2020 at 00:00
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

yep pretty much spot on although Epitaph is very memorable as well. I suppose typical of so many great prog albums it had 3 Marquee tracks and a lot of other stuff. Perhaps Yes realised that you only ever have 3 great tracks for an album when they made CTTE Wink

What does that say about TAAB? Geek

-------------

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: May 23 2020 at 01:02
Probably a top 10 album for me but I couldn't guarantee it once I actually got the list going.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: May 23 2020 at 05:03

Definitely "not the best prog album ever". I wouldn't even count it among my favourites. As for preferred King Crimson album, I tend to vacillate between In The Court Of The Crimson King and Red, leaning towards In The Court Of The Crimson King at the moment.

My ranking of the individual tracks:

21st Century Schizoid Man >>...>> The Court Of The Crimson King >> Epitaph > I Talk To The Wind = Moonchild (the song part) >>...>> Moonchild (the other part).

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: Enchant X
Date Posted: May 23 2020 at 06:36
Was on track to being the best prog album ever but then came Moonchild. It really just about takes one full star off the album for my tastes, The song part I like a lot but then comes the noodling that seems to go far too long and ruins the flow imo. I don't believe like many do on this site that King Crimson are as great as they are made out to be I find flaws in most of their albums. I am one person that will vote against them if the question is asked, they are very overrated and much of their work is just silly nonsense that if you repeat time and time again starts to make sense in a bizarre kind of way Embarrassed

Date Posted: May 23 2020 at 07:36
So only I have the "noodling" part of Moonchild as my favourite part of the album?

Date Posted: May 23 2020 at 08:13
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

So only I have the "noodling" part of Moonchild as my favourite part of the album?

Not at all. There are scores of bewildered hippies on PA culpable of intuiting the 'Music of the Spheres' from the sound of refrigerators idling at munchie time. Some of them don't even have any hair Shocked If you enjoy more than the first two minutes of Moonchild, then kudos to you but it's a flotation tank soundtrack and they invariably bestow most benefit to those on the outside.Wink

-------------

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: May 23 2020 at 08:44

The reason I rate 21st Century Schizoid Man so highly is that it played such an important part of my musical exposure during my teenage years. If it wasn't for this song, I don't know what type of music I'd be listening to today. It was this song that made me interested in In The Court Of The Crimson King in the first place. And this album represents a turning point in my musical taste. Although it wasn't the first prog album I had gotten into, it was nevertheless a different type of music to what I was familiar with at the time. And 21st Century Schizoid Man was the gateway to this different type of music. I think In The Court Of The Crimson King prepared me for the music of Van der Graff Generator, so I don't know if I would be a fan of Van der Graff Generator if it wasn't for 21st Century Schizoid Man.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: May 23 2020 at 09:01
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

hardly..  while I earned the most notorious imfamous PA's review ever..  Mark had the 'best' PA's review ever and he broke that song down musically and gave Moonchild its fair due as the true gem of that album.  Not that I agree with that but it is what it is. Some do see that track as the real genius of the album.

For me.. not the first.. not the best...not even KC's best album... but a good album. 

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: May 23 2020 at 09:12
^ For me there is a certian meditative quality about it - especially when heard through headphones :)

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: May 23 2020 at 09:26

Most important prog album ever but not the best though imo.

This.

Far from the best KC album, let alone best overall prog album.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: May 23 2020 at 12:17
I think it is the most important prog album ever.

The most important.

The best?

It's difficult to say. It is surely one of the greatest. And if I say one of the best I mean one of the album in my Top 10. Perhaps it is the most seminal and experimenta, according to the year of release.

Ok. Anyway voted it is not the best. But I mind to say it because it is very close to the best.

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: May 23 2020 at 19:01

Personally, I think Poseidon falls off a steep cliff right after Cadence and Cascade. The title track is just a poor mans epitaph, cat food is a bad Beatles B-side and the Devils Triangle is just a snooze fest. Just my thoughts though.

Catfood would have been one of the Beatles best songs imo. Pics of a city, Cadence, Catfood and Poseidon are strong tracks. I'd say I quite like 21st century and Court on the debut but the band have a better sound the following year. Also, the debut is smothered in Mellotron which gives it a bit of a slow, boring feel.

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: May 23 2020 at 21:17
certainly one of the most important, and an influence on so many of the best prog albums which followed.  I didn't vote because the response required is too absolute

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: May 23 2020 at 23:50
Not even King Crimson's best album. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: May 24 2020 at 07:54
Hi,

I won't rate an album as a prog album or not. I find it silly and not important in the discussion and value of the work at hand.

The main thing, which a lot of listeners do not understand, is that this particular album is BY FAR the best screen shot that you will EVER GET about that time and place and how crazy, weird, confusing it really was ... and the dope only made it all worse afterwards!

The value of its two best known pieces of music in that album, are by very far, two of the most important "anthems" of a time and place ... and then having a piece about talking in the wind and (of course) no one listens anyway ... specially in the more recent times, when "reading", "understanding" and "value" has been compromised and usurped by commercial concerns ... and the public continues what was described then, in many places, not only Germany, as "dance of the lemmings" because everyone was going to see the shows just for the dope and a lot less for the music!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: May 24 2020 at 08:44
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I won't rate an album as a prog album or not. I find it silly and not important in the discussion and value of the work at hand.

The main thing, which a lot of listeners do not understand, is that this particular album is BY FAR the best screen shot that you will EVER GET about that time and place and how crazy, weird, confusing it really was ... and the dope only made it all worse afterwards!

The value of its two best known pieces of music in that album, are by very far, two of the most important "anthems" of a time and place ... and then having a piece about talking in the wind and (of course) no one listens anyway ... specially in the more recent times, when "reading", "understanding" and "value" has been compromised and usurped by commercial concerns ... and the public continues what was described then, in many places, not only Germany, as "dance of the lemmings" because everyone was going to see the shows just for the dope and a lot less for the music!

You watch your mouth with the lemming analogy gramps  Stern Smile

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2020 at 09:34
^ Mosh has broken the record for being a broken record.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: May 24 2020 at 09:45
Just in case it’s not clear to everyone, Tanz der Lemminge [Aka: Dance of the Lemmings] is an album by the Krautrock band AMON DÜÜL II.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Date Posted: May 24 2020 at 10:38

yeah.. and that was my record he broke. Angry

at least no one will ever top .. or ever approach...my other cheerished forum records.  I'm not sure which I'm more proud of.....

deleted and hidden posts or numbers of PM's from the admin team telling to knock it off or get banned. pfff... 

I ignored all of them.. which only added to the first record...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: May 24 2020 at 10:53
Voted best,  but that was to placate Steve,,,I think he might know where I live.  Wink

Seriously....I don't think there is a 'best prog album'.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: May 24 2020 at 10:59
Time has passed and I don't listen to this anymore.

Date Posted: May 24 2020 at 11:02
^ oh dear God....

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2020 at 11:11
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah.. and that was my record he broke. Angry

You have never been a broken record, Mick. You just type with Tourette's.

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2020 at 11:20
ahh shucks  Greg.. thanks Embarrassed. nicest thing I've heard said about me since Raff called me her trophy husband LOL

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: May 24 2020 at 11:21
PA’s new rating system?

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Date Posted: May 25 2020 at 07:56

LOL

Date Posted: May 25 2020 at 07:57

It's missing 2 great tracks

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: May 25 2020 at 12:04
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ oh dear God....

Hi,

... I don't listen to that either!

I'm an atheist! Thank God!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: May 25 2020 at 12:11
UnhappyLOL

-------------

Posted By: socrates17
Date Posted: May 29 2020 at 20:00
Not even the best King Crimson album.  Not in my top 10 list of King Crimson albums.  Nevertheless, it was a work of genius and its historical importance cannot be minimized.

Posted By: frankbostick
Date Posted: June 04 2020 at 11:47
Not the best but the most important.

Date Posted: June 04 2020 at 13:39

It's missing 2 great tracks

Shocked

I want to hear them! lol

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk