Print Page | Close Window

Favourite Blue Öyster Cult Album

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123130
Printed Date: May 02 2024 at 23:30
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favourite Blue Öyster Cult Album
Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Subject: Favourite Blue Öyster Cult Album
Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 06:39
I've been a fan of the New York Hard Rock band Blue Öyster Cult ever since their beginnings in the early 1970's, and I just discovered to my delight today that they're included on ProgArchives, so I'm wondering, which is your favourite Blue Öyster Cult album? My vote goes to "Imaginos", featuring my favourite BOC song, "Frankenstein" Smile Heart

Replies:
Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 06:57
Secret Treaties for me.... great album

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 06:58
debut today

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 07:10
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I've been a fan of the New York Hard Rock band Blue Öyster Cult ever since their beginnings in the early 1970's, and I just discovered to my delight today that they're included on ProgArchives, so I'm wondering, which is your favourite Blue Öyster Cult album? My vote goes to "Imaginos", featuring my favourite BOC song, "Frankenstein" Smile Heart

Don't have too many of theirs, but went with Imaginos, an underrated classic!  Secret Treaties and Agents Of Fortunes are both pretty close...

Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 07:18
^^ It's great to see another vote for "Imaginos". I had a feeling I'd be the only one to vote for that album. Smile

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 07:22

Well, at least that's something we have in commonSmile. Guess who added them? It wasn't pretty at the time, but thankfully things have mellowed out. Anyway, hard to choose for me - I love all of their albums, even those that are considered "minor". If somebody pointed a gun to my head, though, I'd probably go with Tyranny and Mutation. Incidentally, I also think Imaginos is one of their best albums, and I love the references to H.P. Lovecraft's stories.

Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 07:32

^^ It's great to see another vote for "Imaginos". I had a feeling I'd be the only one to vote for that album. Smile

All down to a review in Kerrang! at the time.  I had never heard of them at the time.  I was mostly into hard rock and metal back then (late teen years) so anything that got a 5 star rating I was interested in.  I think the review started with "Ask your big brother about Blue Oyster Cult".....  I didn't have one, and my big sister was into Soft Cell, Depeche Mode and Duran Duran (and the like) so I just bought Imaginos and loved itBig smile

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 07:48
Their debut.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 08:00
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Well, at least that's something we have in commonSmile. Guess who added them? It wasn't pretty at the time, but thankfully things have mellowed out. Anyway, hard to choose for me - I love all of their albums, even those that are considered "minor". If somebody pointed a gun to my head, though, I'd probably go with Tyranny and Mutation. Incidentally, I also think Imaginos is one of their best albums, and I love the references to H.P. Lovecraft's stories.
Yes, I can imagine (or Imaginos) there'd be a big dispute over whether or not Blue Oyster Cult should be added to ProgArchives, although it probably wasn't as big a dispute as the time when Miles Davis was added to the hallowed halls of prog. Smile

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 08:37
Secret Treaties for me, first album I bought by them back then.  
Not as familiar with some of their later stuff, although I do have Club Ninja which I found at a CD/Record show a year or two ago.  I did not care for this one much.

I am curious about Imaginos now as I have not heard that one.

-------------

Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 08:38
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Quite difficult to get hold of I think....

Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 09:02

Not as familiar with some of their later stuff, although I do have Club Ninja which I found at a CD/Record show a year or two ago.  I did not care for this one much.

Imaginos is much MUCH better than Club Ninja. Smile

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 09:09
I never really got into this band much, but I have a soft spot for Cultösaurus Erectus.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 09:25
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I never really got into this band much, but I have a soft spot for Cultösaurus Erectus.
I'm not sure whether you intended the pun, but it's funny all the same. LOL

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 13:05
Hey, a BÖC poll!

IMO, Cultosaurus Erectus is the perfect BÖC album. Other albums are great but there's something about C.E. It kixass all the way through, and has some of their best songs, like the riveting "Black Blade" and the freaky "The Marshall Plan." 

I do love Imaginos and the underrated Mirrors, but I have to vote for C.E.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 13:09
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Quite difficult to get hold of I think....

Not at all. The last remaster appeared in 2013. I see many copies available via the usual outlets.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 14:53
If I must chose a studio album, I'd have gone for Treaties with Spectres second, but since live albums are allowed, then I went for Enchanted Evening the expanded edition with the Live DVD performance.

Even keeping SEE as a single disc, I like it better than Kness & Feet , but it would be a tie with ET Live.

Posted By: Scorpius
Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 15:34
Secret Treaties with the debut not far behind, Treaties is great all the way through but the debut has "Then Came the Last Days of May" which is by far and away my farvorite BOC song. 

-------------
The most dangerous man in America.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 15:46
I'd have to give it Secret Treaties.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 18:40
man that is hard... one of my alttime top favorite bands with great songs and great albums all the way across their career arc.

but I would have to pick from one of the first 3 .. not because they may have been more.. (god I hate that f**kign word)  proggy.. but I simply enjoyed the sound and the energy of those.  Lanier became more prominent on later albums which wasn't a bad thing.. but it did correspond perhaps intentionally in the way Bouchards drumming became less prominent after the first three.  Perhaps it was the adjustment drummers often make as they have to tone down their playing in large arena/stadium settings which BOC was hitting with their 4 album but as great as many of the later albums were.. and they were.. and the great thing of the band.. even the less than great albums still had lots of great songs you'll never hear on the radio or some damn compilation album

but alas they simply didn't flat out sonic assault you the way the first 3 albums did..

the way my favorite especially did.. Tyranny and Mutation.  

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 18:45
BOC....I don't know if I can pick a favorite album as I love them all, but "Imaginos" is definitely one of them.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 19:40
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

man that is hard... one of my alttime top favorite bands with great songs and great albums all the way across their career arc.

but I would have to pick from one of the first 3 .. not because they may have been more.. (god I hate that f**kign word)  proggy.. but I simply enjoyed the sound and the energy of those.  Lanier became more prominent on later albums which wasn't a bad thing.. but it did correspond perhaps intentionally in the way Bouchards drumming became less prominent after the first three.  Perhaps it was the adjustment drummers often make as they have to tone down their playing in large arena/stadium settings which BOC was hitting with their 4 album but as great as many of the later albums were.. and they were.. and the great thing of the band.. even the less than great albums still had lots of great songs you'll never hear on the radio or some damn compilation album

but alas they simply didn't flat out sonic assault you the way the first 3 albums did..

the way my favorite especially did.. Tyranny and Mutation.

I suggest you revisit Cultosaurus Erectus and turn it up to "11"! Get ready for "Black Blade"...!

-------------

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 21:15
Fire of Unknown Origin
Took my baby away

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: June 03 2020 at 21:16
Coincidentally I listened to Cultasaurus Erectus just a few hours ago. Not a favorite but quite good anyway.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Braka1
Date Posted: June 04 2020 at 10:15
Secret Treaties - but the first three are superb. The debut especially is an overlooked classic. I remember a rock encylopedia in the 80's calling it 'one of the most extraordinary debut albums of all time'.

Imaginos is another overlloked classic.

Always thought 'Cultosaurus' was easily the best of their mid period ones.

-------------

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean

Date Posted: June 04 2020 at 10:44
There's supposed to be a new album coming soon, hopefully before the end of the year.

Their last one, Curse of the Hidden Mirror was a rock-solid entry on par with their early '80s albums, IMHO. 

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: June 04 2020 at 15:11
I'm not familiar with enough of their albums to vote but I do like Agents of Fortune and Fire of Unknown Origin quite a bit.

Date Posted: June 04 2020 at 15:49
What this song needs is more cowbell! Smile

Don't Fear the Reaper. I'll have some Real Blue Oyster Cult videos coming up for you all soon. Smile

Date Posted: June 05 2020 at 15:43
BTW Albert Bouchard is my favourite drummer of all time. 

-------------

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: June 05 2020 at 15:56
On your feet or on your knees! .... Here they are, the amazing Blue Oyster Cult! 😄

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Date Posted: June 05 2020 at 16:12
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

On your feet or on your knees! .... Here they are, the amazing Blue Oyster Cult! 😄
That's the first Blue Öyster Cult album I ever heard, after a friend at school played it for me. It's good to see all of the Live albums have picked up some votes. I'm glad I remembered to include them. I'll have a Top 5 Blue Öyster Cult songs poll coming up before too long, just as soon as I've written the introduction. Smile

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 21:56
Secret Treaties....for Telepaths and Astronomy....then BOC, Fortune, Fire, Tyranny,  etc

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: June 06 2020 at 22:05
Tyranny.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: June 08 2020 at 13:30
I don't normally vote for live albums but On Your Feet Or On Your Knees is so good!!!

-------------
The Prog Corner

Date Posted: June 08 2020 at 13:49
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I don't normally vote for live albums but On Your Feet Or On Your Knees is so good!!!
That particular Live album was my introduction to Blue Oyster Cult, so I just HAD to include it in the poll, along with their other two Live albums.  Smile

Posted By: zeuhl1
Date Posted: June 08 2020 at 14:07
Secret Treaties. I still have the lyrics they sent via mail if you wrote them and requested them. Printed by computer on that 70's green and white striped paper that predated dot matrix printers....

Posted By: zeuhl1
Date Posted: June 08 2020 at 14:16
Originally posted by Braka1 Braka1 wrote:

BTW Albert Bouchard is my favourite drummer of all time. 

got to meet them after a 1996 show and pump them for info. Bouchard quit the band and went back to teaching High School in New York. Lanier said kids would yell from their seats with hands raised "Mr. Bouchaaaad Mr. Bouchaaaad! Izzit true you was in Blue Oyster Cult?" 

Date Posted: June 08 2020 at 14:26
I went to see Blue Oyster Cult in the early 1980's at the Birmingham Hippodrome during their "Mirrors" tour. I remember they had mirrors on the back of their guitars which they used to reflect the lights back at the audience. Smile

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: June 08 2020 at 14:52
"Fire of Unknown Origin" for me.  I'm familiarizing myself with the others and thus far none compare.  The second best might be "Spectres"

Date Posted: June 08 2020 at 16:56
^ yeah the shear awesomeness of Golden Age of Leather and Nosferatu raise the level of Spectres to greatness.  The rest of songs are good enough to keep it there.. ie no junk to bring it down.  though Goin' Through the Motions walked a fine line of doing that. Not bad.. just not the very good you expect and they delivered on pretty much everything to that point (their first 4 albums. .with no a single damn weak spot)

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: June 08 2020 at 17:17
The winning album: "Secret Treaties" (1974)

Posted By: twseel
Date Posted: June 09 2020 at 04:41
'Secret Treaties' seems like the obvious winner though 'On Your Feet or on Your Knees' also has some scorching rockers, I like this one especially:

-------------

Date Posted: June 09 2020 at 08:25

^ yeah the shear awesomeness of Golden Age of Leather and Nosferatu raise the level of Spectres to greatness.  The rest of songs are good enough to keep it there.. ie no junk to bring it down.  though Goin' Through the Motions walked a fine line of doing that. Not bad.. just not the very good you expect and they delivered on pretty much everything to that point (their first 4 albums. .with no a single damn weak spot)

I got into BOC when 'Some Enchanted Evening'* was released. On subsequently hearing 'Spectres' I found it disappointing by comparison. The versions of Godzilla and (especially) RU Ready 2 Rock on 'Some Enchanted Evening' smoke the studio versions. I don't think it's just because I heard them first.  Similarly I thought the album before 'Fire' - 'Cultasaurus Erectus' was their best 77-86 studio album, but it never gets any love for some reason.

* In the late 70's era of ubiquitous double live albums, 'Some Enchanted Evening' is one release that really should have been a double!

-------------

Date Posted: June 09 2020 at 09:00
Two more classic albums:-

Agents of Fortune (1976)

Mirrors (1979)

Date Posted: June 09 2020 at 12:54
I remember an interview with BOC in 1980 when Cultosaurus was released, and the band said they hated 'Mirrors' so much they were using copies of it as frisbees.  It wasn't that bad.

-------------

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: June 09 2020 at 13:12

I remember an interview with BOC in 1980 when Cultosaurus was released, and the band said they hated 'Mirrors' so much they were using copies of it as frisbees.  It wasn't that bad.

I gave it an attentive listen yesterday and it's definitely their most mellow work.
Some of them are good but some...well, others have done it much better
I'm not a big metal or hard rock fan so am a bit biased but I think they did their best work in the confluence of those styles with a more melodic rock slant, and that is basically most of Fire of Unknown Origin

Date Posted: June 09 2020 at 13:44

no it wasn't bad..honestly... BOC simply did not make bad albums... but the production of it they did detest. it was the first album they did without Sandy producing it and they didn't like the overly polished sound of it so they went more to their classic sound with Cultosaurus.

-------------

Date Posted: June 09 2020 at 13:54
^^ I love the "Mirrors" album. It's Blue Oyster Cult's "Club Ninja" album which I thought was most disappointing of all.
Here's the next available full album in the sequence.....
Fire of Unknown Origin (1981)

Date Posted: June 09 2020 at 14:04

^^ I love the "Mirrors" album. It's Blue Oyster Cult's "Club Ninja" album which I thought was most disappointing of all.
Here's the next available full album in the sequence.....
Fire of Unknown Origin (1981)

disappointed.. what did one expect of it..   Secret Treaties???  It was much like the vast majority of their post FOUO albums...  none bad. again. BOC DID NOT MAKE BAD ALBUMS.. they were that good a band

perhaps none were truly great.. but all contained really good songs..even great pnes. When the War Comes for example..  classic BOC.. a f'ing great song... and Dancing in the Ruins has always been a favorite of mine.

-------------

Date Posted: June 09 2020 at 14:10
"Imaginos"  is by far my favourite Blue Oyster Cult album, which is surprising, considering it's a late-1980's album released long after their classic early era. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: June 09 2020 at 14:12
None of BOC's albums is even remotely bad. Even when they took a more AOR turn, they managed to sound vastly different from other bands lumped under the same umbrella. For one thing, they did not have the stereotypical, soaring-tenor vocals (think Steve Perry or Lou Gramm), and their lyrical matter was always edgy and intriguing. Club Ninja's final three songs are excellent, and The Revolution by Night also has quite a few gems, such as "Shadow of California". As for Cultosaurus Erectus, the first three songs are simply killer, though the rest of the album is not quite on a par with them.

Date Posted: June 09 2020 at 15:14
Cult Classics (1994) - Re-recordings of classic Blue Oyster Cult songs

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: June 09 2020 at 15:38
Tyranny and Mutation is my favourite studio album and Some Enchanted Evening my fave live album. Also very fond of Cultisaurus Erectus. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 09 2020 at 15:51
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Tyranny and Mutation is my favourite studio album and Some Enchanted Evening my fave live album. Also very fond of Cultisaurus Erectus. 

Unfortunately, none of those three albums are available on YouTube at the moment, but this one is......

The Curse of the Hidden Mirror (2001)

Date Posted: June 09 2020 at 16:11
Ermm  wow man.. i need to fire one up after reading that
at times Paul.. I do wonder if you are Pedro's long lost son... perhaps you'll tell me which planet you all came here from... and don't pull a Pedro on me and tell me you don't heavily smoke you some mother nature man..

you do know that even if whole albums may not be.. the individual tracks are..

here..man.. ranked as my #6 blow thy speaker song ever recorded..

-------------

Date Posted: June 09 2020 at 17:12

Similarly I thought the album before 'Fire' - 'Cultasaurus Erectus' was their best 77-86 studio album, but it never gets any love for some reason.

Easily! It's also better than Revolution by Night and Club Ninja. 

So you must be the other guy who voted for it! Cool! Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: June 09 2020 at 17:19

None of BOC's albums is even remotely bad. Even when they took a more AOR turn, they managed to sound vastly different from other bands lumped under the same umbrella. For one thing, they did not have the stereotypical, soaring-tenor vocals (think Steve Perry or Lou Gramm), and their lyrical matter was always edgy and intriguing. Club Ninja's final three songs are excellent, and The Revolution by Night also has quite a few gems, such as "Shadow of California". 

A big ditto from me on all these points! "Take Me Away" should have been a humongous hit, and "Shadow of California" is superb.

As for Cultosaurus Erectus, the first three songs are simply killer, though the rest of the album is not quite on a par with them.

Here I must disagree, as "The Marshall Plan," "Lips in the Hills" and "Unknown Tongue," all on Side B, are songs I like a lot. I love the whole album.

-------------

Date Posted: June 09 2020 at 17:26
LMAO!!!

indeed darling.. ok.. we've well established this group ruled and had so SO many great songs.

but let's flip this..

what.. in everyone's opinion.. is the WORST song BOC ever did.

to me.. and her.. there is only one option.. but curious as to what others think.

-------------

Date Posted: June 10 2020 at 02:18

no it wasn't bad..honestly... BOC simply did not make bad albums... but the production of it they did detest. it was the first album they did without Sandy producing it and they didn't like the overly polished sound of it so they went more to their classic sound with Cultosaurus.

Yes, I'll go along with that.  But it was Martin Birch, wasn't it? It's not like his production style was unexpected.

It had a very clean style, which made the proggy-metal tracks like 'The Vigil' sound very BIG, but there were a couple of tracks (e.g. 'In thee') that just sounded MOR.  Mind you, that song would have been MOR if it'd been recorded on a mono cassette deck in someone's garage.

-------------

Posted By: twseel
Date Posted: June 10 2020 at 08:45

"Imaginos"  is by far my favourite Blue Oyster Cult album, which is surprising, considering it's a late-1980's album released long after their classic early era. Thumbs Up
It might be appropriate if I repost this interesting video about it, which I also posted in the 'What are you listening' thread a while back:

-------------

Date Posted: June 10 2020 at 10:22

Yes, I'll go along with that.  But it was Martin Birch, wasn't it? It's not like his production style was unexpected.

It had a very clean style, which made the proggy-metal tracks like 'The Vigil' sound very BIG, but there were a couple of tracks (e.g. 'In thee') that just sounded MOR.  Mind you, that song would have been MOR if it'd been recorded on a mono cassette deck in someone's garage.

Martin Birch produced Cultosaurus and Fire of Unknown Origin. Mirrors was produced by Tom Werman.

Date Posted: June 10 2020 at 13:26
and when you say.. who? You get the idea... LOL

-------------

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: June 10 2020 at 15:09
Promo photo which came with my US radio version of 'On your feet..' but I suspect its probably earlier..

-------------

Posted By: mathman0806
Date Posted: June 10 2020 at 15:33

It wasn't this guy?

"More cowbell!"

Date Posted: June 10 2020 at 15:48
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

It wasn't this guy?

"More cowbell!"

nope this one...

"f**k my life"

-------------

Date Posted: June 11 2020 at 11:06

Martin Birch produced Cultosaurus and Fire of Unknown Origin. Mirrors was produced by Tom Werman.

Ah, I knew I should have bothered to check.

-------------

Posted By: Around the Sun
Date Posted: June 11 2020 at 14:59
I love this band! One of those bands that are corny and sophisticated at the same time. They are also underrated. My favourite is 'Secret Treaties', which is simply one of the best albums ever made. But BÖC has so many great albums. 'Spectres' has become a huge favourite too. It's more pop oriented than the early stuff, yes, but what songs! I still haven't heard 'Fire of Unknown Origin', often considered to be one of their very best albums. Have to buy it on vinyl one day.

Date Posted: June 11 2020 at 15:42
^^ I love the band so much, I now have three BOC threads currently running. Smile

"Spectres" is a big favourite of mine too with a couple of classic tracks: "Godzilla" and "Celestial the Queen".
It's good to see my favourite album "Imaginos" doing well in the poll with four votes so far. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: June 12 2020 at 06:04

Yeah, 'Club Ninja' was the only BOC album from their original period which I couldn't find anything to really like about.   Even the poorly received 'Revolution By Night' had several excellent songs (Shadow of California, for instance) in between the dross.

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2020 at 08:07

Yeah, 'Club Ninja' was the only BOC album from their original period which I couldn't find anything to really like about.   Even the poorly received 'Revolution By Night' had several excellent songs (Shadow of California, for instance) in between the dross.
"Shooting Shark" was another favourite of mine from the Revolution by Night album, but I'd be hard-pressed to name a stand-out song on the Club Ninja album. Maybe it's time to give it another listen. Smile

Posted By: mathman0806
Date Posted: June 12 2020 at 09:37

"Shooting Shark" was another favourite of mine from the Revolution by Night album, but I'd be hard-pressed to name a stand-out song on the Club Ninja album. Maybe it's time to give it another listen. Smile
With Club Ninja, there were four songs that the band did not write. Of those, I liked White Flags. Perfect Water was pretty good. And the last three songs, from When the War Comes with the Howard Stern spoken word intro to Madness to the Method.  

Date Posted: June 12 2020 at 13:21

I was actually in a band who played two BOC songs in our setlist, and I used to sing lead vocals on Shooting Shark - the only time they let me do anything but backup vocals, for good reason. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2020 at 13:52

Ermm  wow man.. i need to fire one up after reading that
at times Paul.. I do wonder if you are Pedro's long lost son... perhaps you'll tell me which planet you all came here from... and don't pull a Pedro on me and tell me you don't heavily smoke you some mother nature man..

you do know that even if whole albums may not be.. the individual tracks are..

I'd love to upload every track from every Blue Oyster Cult album here, but if I did that, it'd probably take forever for my slow laptop to load up the whole page. Smile

I can start with this track though: my all-time favourite BOC song, from the Imaginos album, featuring one of the finest rock singer's that no one's ever heard of: Joey Cerisano

Date Posted: June 12 2020 at 15:52

I'd love to upload every track from every Blue Oyster Cult album here, but if I did that, it'd probably take forever for my slow laptop to load up the whole page. Smile

I can start with this track though: my all-time favourite BOC song, from the Imaginos album, featuring one of the finest rock singer's that no one's ever heard of: Joey Cerisano

I used to do a late night FM rock show. In 1988 I collared another presenter, raving about 'Seige and Investiture'.     He was skeptical.

About a month later he came up to me with a list of his top 100 songs of all time, and 'Seige' was #1.

BTW, sorry, but I've always hated that video.

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2020 at 17:09
^^ "Frankenstein" is the only Blue Oyster Cult song that's ever featured Joey Cerisano on vocals.

I'm sorry you didn't like the video. Smile

Date Posted: June 12 2020 at 18:00
Listening to Club Ninja right now.

Micky asked what the band's worst song is. It's on this album, and it's a Bob Halligan song that was recorded by Lee Aaron for her third album Call of the Wild, the year before:

"Beat 'Em Up"

It wasn't a good song when Lee Aaron recorded it, and the same applies to Blue Öyster Cult. It's a bad song with painful lyrics. For example:

Beat 'em up! Beat 'em up!
You take a lickin,' keep on kickin' This fight we both can win! We'll stop sockin' when you stop rockin'!

As for the rest of Club Ninja, there are good songs ("White Flags," "Perfect Water," "Shadow Warrior") and there are okay songs ("Make Rock Not War," "Spy in the House of the Night," "Dancin' in the Ruins"), and one great song in "Madness to the Method."

...but "Beat 'Em Up" should have never found its way to the Oyster camp because a) it's a terrible song, and b) it sounds so unlike something they'd bother with. Confused

The Revolution By Night is a much better album.

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2020 at 18:36

One of those gifted singers who should've fronted a long-running hard rock band. He toured with Transsiberian Orchestra from 2000-2003. but I've not heard of anything he's done since. He was a busy session guy for many years. Over here, his is the voice in a famous commercial: "Be...all that you can be!" (Yes, that commercial!)

Cerisano's first band with a record was Elderberry Jak. Their sole album Long Overdue was released in 1970!!

Cerisano's only other regular band was the early '80s AOR outfit Silver Condor. This is from their second and final album, Trouble at Home. Future Autograph guitarist-vocalist Steve Plunkett and Dust/HSAS/Billy Squier bassist Kenny Arronson were both part of this lineup!

-------------

Date Posted: June 14 2020 at 07:05
^^ Thanks for all of the additional info about Joey Cerisano. Thumbs Up

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: June 14 2020 at 09:58
In May of 1972 I was at college in IU , Bloomington,  Indiana.....my brother rented a house (Sept 1971) on one of the main roads into school by the football stadium so I spent a lot of time there . We would watch the cars come in with parents and kids heading into town. I remember one sunny May afternoon when they were on the big front porch watching the traffic, smokin' weed and blasting this hard rock lp...it was different and weird but good,..the debut by BOC ; became a fan that day and went to Karma Records and bought the vinyl the next day.
I voted Secret Treaties ,but that first one is  still is one of my favorite old hard rock lp's of all time.

BTW.. a shout out to Sandy Pearlman who was essential to their origins, sound/theme direction , and early songwriting.
Smile

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: June 14 2020 at 10:44
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

In May of 1972 I was at college in IU , Bloomington,  Indiana.....my brother rented a house (Sept 1971) on one of the main roads into school by the football stadium so I spent a lot of time there . We would watch the cars come in with parents and kids heading into town. I remember one sunny May afternoon when they were on the big front porch watching the traffic, smokin' weed and blasting this hard rock lp...it was different and weird but good,..the debut by BOC ; became a fan that day and went to Karma Records and bought the vinyl the next day.
I voted Secret Treaties ,but that first one is  still is one of my favorite old hard rock lp's of all time.

BTW.. a shout out to Sandy Pearlman who was essential to their origins, sound/theme direction , and early songwriting.
Smile

Yeah, whenever Sandy was MIA they became a lot more mundane. Still excellent, but generally missing that X factor.

-------------

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: June 14 2020 at 12:03
Great band, I've seen them live twice and Buck Dharma is a very talented and individualistic guitarist. All their albums are enjoyable but Spectres is my favourite. It's probably their most consistent with no weak tracks and some of their absolute best such as Nosferatu and Searchin' for Celine.

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Date Posted: June 14 2020 at 13:07
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Micky asked what the band's worst song is. It's on this album, and it's a Bob Halligan song that was recorded by Lee Aaron for her third album Call of the Wild, the year before:

"Beat 'Em Up"

It wasn't a good song when Lee Aaron recorded it, and the same applies to Blue Öyster Cult. It's a bad song with painful lyrics. For example:

You take a lickin,' keep on kickin' This fight we both can win! We'll stop sockin' when you stop rockin'!

As for the rest of Club Ninja, there are good songs ("White Flags," "Perfect Water," "Shadow Warrior") and there are okay songs ("Make Rock Not War," "Spy in the House of the Night," "Dancin' in the Ruins"), and one great song in "Madness to the Method."

...but "Beat 'Em Up" should have never found its way to the Oyster camp because a) it's a terrible song, and b) it sounds so unlike something they'd bother with. Confused

notice you didn't When the War is Over..  where ye put it.. the great, or good. I thought it was the best thing on the album

now as far as worst...  can't blame you for overlooking the single worst thing BOC ever did.  Raff and I would love to forget we ever heard it except we grew to love to use the song as a warped . sh*t... never mind..

It took light years, light years of love
Light years, light years of love
Of love, of love

-------------

Date Posted: June 14 2020 at 13:39
"Beat 'Em Up" is by far the worst thing to appear on a Blue Öyster Cult  album. It just is. What were they thinking!!??

-------------

Date Posted: June 14 2020 at 13:42
nah.. I beg to differ.. no one on this forum has an ear for bad music more than I do..

I say we settle this.. old school PA's way... two enter.. one gets out alive..

-------------

Date Posted: June 14 2020 at 13:43

notice you didn't When the War is Over..  where ye put it.. the great, or good. I thought it was the best thing on the album

That's right, I didn't. The correct title is "When the War Comes."

Maybe you're thinking of Asia's "After the War." Gotcha! LOL

As I've said here and there, the song I like best on Club Ninja is "Madness to the Method."

-------------

Date Posted: June 14 2020 at 13:44

nah.. I beg to differ.. no one on this forum has an ear for bad music more than I do..

I say we settle this.. old school PA's way... two enter.. one gets out alive..

Then stop listening to it! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June 14 2020 at 13:47
Embarrassed that didn't come out the way I meant it to LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2020 at 06:02

"Beat 'Em Up"

now as far as worst...  can't blame you for overlooking the single worst thing BOC ever did.  Raff and I would love to forget we ever heard it except we grew to love to use the song as a warped . sh*t... never mind..

It took light years, light years of love
Light years, light years of love
Of love, of love

Yeah, that song sucks. But so did about half the album, including nearly all of side two. I only ever bothered listening to 'Take Me Away', 'Shooting shark' and 'Shadow of California'. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 09 2020 at 14:29
The new album The Symbol Remains is out today. Here's the latest video, for "The Alchemist"! The boys are back!

-------------

Posted By: stegor
Date Posted: October 23 2020 at 20:21
I’ve been listening to the Symbol Remains quite a bit lately and I’m really impressed! I didn’t expect much because it’s been decades since they released a studio album I really cared for. Saw them 2 years ago and they still put on a great show though. It’s really heavy when it’s heavy, and takes a lot of twists and turns. I’d put it right in there with their 70s work. I Think I like it more than Spectres but not quite as much as Agents. I picked the debut, but the first 3 are among my favorite albums of all time, and I still revisit the rest thru Cultasaurus

Posted By: Adaon
Date Posted: October 23 2020 at 20:50
The Symbol Remains is truly fantastic and will almost certainly end up in my BOC top five.  Agents remains my favorite for now, however.  

Posted By: ProfPanglos
Date Posted: October 23 2020 at 20:51

The new album The Symbol Remains is out today. Here's the latest video, for "The Alchemist"! The boys are back!

That was awesome!  So great to hear this.  Total BOC groove, that jam put a big smile on my face.

Posted By: stegor
Date Posted: October 26 2020 at 10:41
I’m surprised at so many votes for Imaginos. It’s not even a proper BOC album. It was more of a side project by Sandy Pearlman with BOC members as guests. The remake of Astronomy, possibly their best song ever, which they actually perfected live on Some Enchanted Evening, is so inferior to the original I can’t stand to listen to it!

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: October 26 2020 at 10:47
ST

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Date Posted: October 26 2020 at 11:26
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

I’m surprised at so many votes for Imaginos. It’s not even a proper BOC album. It was more of a side project by Sandy Pearlman with BOC members as guests. The remake of Astronomy, possibly their best song ever, which they actually perfected live on Some Enchanted Evening, is so inferior to the original I can’t stand to listen to it!

I agree the version of Astronomy isn't up to the Some Enchanted Evening or ST versions, and I'll add that 'Blue Oyster Cult' is a somewhat questionable take on 'The Subhuman'. But they fit into the sonic palete of this album. And the originals on this album are often superb. AFAIC the great studio BOC albums are the first three, then this one.  And I disagree that it isn't a proper BOC album. I'd say it's not a proper Albert Bouchard & Sandy Pearlman album.

-------------

Posted By: TheUniversalMigrator
Date Posted: October 26 2020 at 12:53
Imaginos has gotta be my favorite. The album has the best flow I've heard outside of Ayreon or Mike Oldfield

Date Posted: October 26 2020 at 14:46
Originally posted by TheUniversalMigrator TheUniversalMigrator wrote:

Imaginos has gotta be my favorite. The album has the best flow I've heard outside of Ayreon or Mike Oldfield

My favourite album "Imaginos" also includes my favourite Blue Oyster Cult song: "Frankenstein" - with Joe Cerisano, the best rock singer who no one's ever heard of. Smile

Posted By: Adaon
Date Posted: October 26 2020 at 21:11
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

I’m surprised at so many votes for Imaginos.

It's down at the very bottom for me.  There's some nice lead guitar on there, though.  

Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 16:56
Originally posted by Adaon Adaon wrote:

The Symbol Remains is truly fantastic and will almost certainly end up in my BOC top five.  Agents remains my favorite for now, however.  

it surprised me.. though it shouldn't have .. BOC simply does not make bad albums. That said..

rather than start a new thread...

complete the sentence...

The Symbol is the best BOC album since.....

I would say Imaginos.. The Symbol is a really good album.. but IMO you don't have to go that far back to find a better one.

-------------

Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 17:16
Where ya been, Mick? You were suspiciously quiet in the days leading up to (and since) the release of The Symbol Remains. (Things that make you go "Hmmm!" LOL)

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk