Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123394
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 11:00
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: '78 studio albums by acts w/ a 70 or earlier debut
Posted By: Logan
Subject: '78 studio albums by acts w/ a 70 or earlier debut
Date Posted: July 03 2020 at 17:43
I have chosen 1978 studio albums (ergo no King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator, Pink Floyd etc.) in PA Prog subgenres (so I excluded, say, Vangelis even if you or I think that he is Prog category worthy) that released the first studio album no later than 1970 (ergo no Rush, Clivage, Area, Nik Turner, Bubu etc.). Please feel free vote for one of them even if you only know and like that one. If you don't like any of them, I wouldn't bother voting for any of them even if you know it.

I was tempted to make an exception for Vangelis, but didn't. Do feel free to list an "other" if the band/artist is included in a PA Prog category, is from 1978, and had released at least one studio album in 1970 or earlier. And if it's a studio album that you like and think should be considered Prog, and it meets the "released an album no later than 1970" criterion, feel free to mention that too, but please try to vote for one from the list if you can and feel comfortable doing so. :)

As an added request, which is totally optional, please include one youtube video of your choice of one track that you like if possible (but NOT full studio albums as that is generally discouraged). The idea is to give people a taste of the music who might not know it.

I hope I made no errors or obvious omissions.

Amon Düül II - Only Human
Barclay James Harvest - XII
Camel - Breathless
Can - Out of Reach
Captain Beefheart - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)
Genesis - ...And Then There Were Three...
Gentle Giant - Giant for a Day
Gong - Expresso II
Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses
Kraftwerk - Die Mensch-Maschine (The Man-Machine)
Magma - Attahk
Missus Beastly - Space Guerilla
Ponty, Jean-Luc - Cosmic Messenger
Popol Vuh - Nosferatu: Brüder des Schattens - Söhne des Lichts or Nosferatu (On the Way to a Little Way)
Renaissance - A Song for All Seasons
Stivell, Alan - Journée à la maison
Tangerine Dream - Cyclone
Yes - Tormato
Zappa, Frank - Studio Tan

There are a number that I really like here, but I am in Attahk mode.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Replies:
Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: July 03 2020 at 17:46
Renaissance - A song for all seasons is amazing. Up there with their greatest records.

Magma - Attahk is also amazing, along with Heavy Horses and Man-Machine, but it is Magma that will get my vote.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: July 03 2020 at 18:14
giving my love the wonderful and much overlooked Popol Vuh and the even more overlooked Nosferatu album

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Braka1
Date Posted: July 03 2020 at 19:08
Voted Heavy Horse, but Shiny Beast was a contender.

-------------

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: July 03 2020 at 19:25
great year but anytime A Song for all Seasons is on a list it wins

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: July 03 2020 at 19:31
Other favorites from the list are Barclay James Harvest "XII" (their last great album sadly) and Camel "Breathless", Jethro Tull "Heavy Horses" (one of my faves by them), Tangerine Dream "Cyclone", and Alan Stivell "Journee a La Maison".

Strawbs "Deadlines" probably fits on this list but it's not at the level of any of the above or of their earlier work

Posted By: Run Home Slow
Date Posted: July 03 2020 at 19:38
Would have voted for Studio Tan, but gave a chance to The Captain Smile

-------------
If you got ears, you gotta listen — Captain Beefheart

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 03 2020 at 19:58
Tull...then Beefheart...after that .......?

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Enchant X
Date Posted: July 03 2020 at 20:10
Heavy Horses Tongue

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 03 2020 at 22:21
Pretty clear victory for JT here. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: July 03 2020 at 22:30
Easy - Tull.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 00:11
nice poll and a tough one, deserves some thought, will choose a bit later Smile

Posted By: Mirakaze
Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 00:38
I really love Studio Tan and Cosmic Messenger but I'm gonna have to go with And Then There Were Three

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 00:48
Some good albums there but the one for me is the Renaissance, Song for all Seasons, which is one of their best.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 01:38
Far and away Tull.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 03:12
Genesis - And Then There Were Three

I would also have put ELP - Love Beach in the poll. It has a side long piece that is reasonably liked. There is some trash on it but it's not as bad as people like to think.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 03:56
Fascinating choice. I find six albums that are very dear to me, Heavy Horses, A Song For All Seasons, Breathless, Cyclone, Expresso II, and Attahk. It's very very hard to make a decision, and I vote for Gong mainly because they don't have a vote yet, and as I have seen that album very rarely mentioned here, they may not get any further ones.

However I post a video from a different album in the selection, because people might not know this, and it is a crime to bury such a spectacularly good song on an otherwise rather underwhelming album.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 03:59
Beefheart all the way.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 04:15
Many great choices but I went with Expresso II because I heard it last month. I actually listen to Moerlen's Gong way more often than the RGI trilogy.

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 04:29
The orange SBB album from 1978 is really good

-------------
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.

Posted By: Rick1
Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 04:32
Some good albums there.  First time I have seen the wonderful Alan Stivell in a prog archives poll.  I first saw him live in the early 80s, and he reminded me of Pierre Moerlen's Gong - which brings me to the overlooked 'Expresso II'...

Posted By: Earl of Mar
Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 04:49
Renaissance for me, fine album. Like HH as well. Over the years I have really gone off ATTWT, I hardly ever play it now.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 06:09

Some pretty good albums here, but Cyclone is the album of my choice here. The vocals were quite a shock at first hearing - the album was released in a period when I listened a lot to TD and Klaus Schulze -, but it did not take me long to come to appreciation. Side 2, Madrigal Meridian, is more classic TD and one of the best tracks in their catalog.

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 08:41
Jethro Tull and Gentle Giant.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 23:15
Jethro Tull

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Spacegod87
Date Posted: July 05 2020 at 07:22
I understand the hate/indifference to Tormato, and I don't know why, but I have a bizarre love for that entire album. 

Heavy Horses came close though..

-------------
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: July 05 2020 at 07:49
Not heard all of these albums, but was listening to Heavy Horses only the other day. Great album and got my vote.

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: July 05 2020 at 09:23
Perhaps no masterpiece here (but I never listened to some of these albums).

Chosen Breathless but undecided with it and Magma.

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: July 05 2020 at 12:58
None of these. I prefer UK (UK), Steve Hackett (please don't touch) or Ange (Guet-apens)

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: July 05 2020 at 13:26
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

great year but anytime A Song for all Seasons is on a list it wins

I'm glad Renaissance was included in the poll, because that's who I voted for too. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: July 05 2020 at 14:21
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

None of these. I prefer UK (UK), Steve Hackett (please don't touch) or Ange (Guet-apens)

I only intended "other" for ones that already had released a studio album no later than 1970.

None of those had released its first studio album by 1970 according to my research. Ange, which I really like as well, was formed in 1969, but didn't release Caricatures unti1 1972. UK was formed in 1977 and that 1978 UK album was its debut. Steve Hackett's "solo" debut didn't come out until 1975.

There are many albums I love from 1978 in Prog categories, but not many of those artists/bands had released their first studio album no later than the year 1970. I deliberately set-out to limit the relevant entries (the criteria as laid out in my first post). If there were based on albums I like in PA from 1978, then the listing would be quite different.

Some of my favourites from that year that don't fit the criteria:

Andre Fertier's Clivage - Mixtus Orbis
Klaus Schulze - X
Bubu - Anabelas
National Health - Of Queues and Cures
Widorje - Weidorje
Kate Bush - The Kick Inside
The Residents - Not Available and Duck Stab / Buster & Glen
Area - 1978 - Gli Dei Se Ne Vanno, Gli Arrabbiati Restano!
Conrad Schnitzler - Ballet Statique
Carol of Harvest - Carol of Harvest
Eden - Erwartung
etc.

Were it open to any Prog Category studio album from 1978, then I'd go with Mixtus Orbis and the Bubu is terrific.

-------------

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: July 05 2020 at 23:26
Heavy Horses. Shiny Beast is really good also, but not as great as Doc at the Radar (absolutely it would win A from same year).

Posted By: thief
Date Posted: July 06 2020 at 01:34
Jethro Tull takes this easily imo, but Frank Zappa and Jean-Luc Ponty had very nice releases that year as well.

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: July 06 2020 at 02:32
Yes - Tormato

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: July 06 2020 at 02:37
I voted other because it's a tough choice poll Big smile

One of my favorite albums of 1978 is Sfinx - Zalmoxe. So here is a song from it. Tongue

Date Posted: July 06 2020 at 04:42
^ I like and have that album in my collection (listed as 1979 at some sites like PA,but 1978 in the Sinx bio, and Discogs, and 1978 at others -- it had at least been recorded by 1978). I wouldn't have included it, though, because, Sfinx studio debut album came later than 1970 according to my research -- Lume Alba was released in 1975. The band was formed in the 60s I read.

-------------

Date Posted: July 06 2020 at 05:12
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ I like and have that album in my collection (listed as 1979 at some sites like PA,but 1978 in the Sinx bio, and Discogs, and 1978 at others -- it had at least been recorded by 1978). I wouldn't have included it, though, because, Sfinx studio debut album came later than 1970 according to my research -- Lume Alba was released in 1975. The band was formed in the 60s I read.

They started releasing singles in the early 70s. There weren't that many full length albums being released those days, not even the 70s. It was even worse in the 80s. So beside those two 70s albums and one album in the 80s, Sfinx released some singles, participated in whatever split albums Electrecord was doing (compilations), even did a song for a movie soundtrack. 

Date Posted: July 06 2020 at 05:46
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

They started releasing singles in the early 70s. There weren't that many full length albums being released those days, not even the 70s. It was even worse in the 80s. So beside those two 70s albums and one album in the 80s, Sfinx released some singles, participated in whatever split albums Electrecord was doing (compilations), even did a song for a movie soundtrack. 

Sure, and I'm happy for other 1978 albums that don't meet the criteria as set out in my first post to be mentioned, but I just wanted to mention, as I told Dopeydoc a few posts up, that "other" in the poll is intended for acts that not only released a studio album in 1978, but also had released a studio album no later than 1970. I and others have done other 1978 album polls, but I wanted to set further limits on what would be applicable for this topic.

I guess it might help if people mention the year of the acts earliest studio album release as well as the 1978 release if not in my poll (all of those I listed in the poll have a studio release from 1970 and/or earlier). Dunno know why I'm interested in that, but mostly it's just to do it differently from other 1978 album polls. Oh and it did help me to limit my selection of choices (I wanted to limit the "other" choices further). 1970 has some significance to me.

-------------

Date Posted: July 06 2020 at 05:51

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Sure, and I'm happy for other 1978 albums that don't meet the criteria as set out in my first post to be mentioned, but I just wanted to mention, as I told Dopeydoc a few posts up, that "other" in the poll is intended for acts that not only released a studio album in 1978, but also had released a studio album no later than 1970. I and others have done other 1978 album polls, but I wanted to set further limits on what would be applicable for this topic.

I guess it might help if people mention the year of the acts earliest studio album release as well as the 1978 release if not in my poll (all of those I listed in the poll have a studio release from 1970 and/or earlier). Dunno know why I'm interested in that, but mostly it's just to do it differently from other 1978 album polls. Oh and it did help me to limit my selection of choices (I wanted to limit the "other" choices further). 1970 has some significance to me.

ok, my mistake then. Embarrassed

Date Posted: July 06 2020 at 06:22
^ No worries, such polls are more for fun, and the challenge, than anything, but it's also about discovery, and if someone discovers and likes that Sfinx album due to your post, job well done! I'd like to see that album get more recognition. I rarely mind tangents in my topics, and care more about the comments and conversation than the poll results. And I don't treat such stuff as contests. I'm glad you mentioned it since that album doesn't get a huge amount of recognition.

-------------

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: July 06 2020 at 07:11
Passpartù by PFM is pretty cool but the question is.... does the self titled I Quelli album count as PFM's debut?

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: July 06 2020 at 10:07
Tull by a long ways  .... 
not really a fan of any of the others

I guess TD's Cyclone would be next

-------------
Prog On!

Date Posted: July 06 2020 at 21:17
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Passpartù by PFM is pretty cool but the question is.... does the self titled I Quelli album count as PFM's debut?

I wouldn’t. PA lists the I Quelli album as pre-PFM in the PFM discography, but also notes that PFM formed in 1970. I don’t think of it as a PFM album despite the personnel relation and would sooner think it suitable for PA in Proto Prog under it’s own listing, or as Prog Related, rather than having it in the discography. I don’t mind that, it could be an album of interest to those interested in PFM, and they might not want to give it its own listing (it is also more work and more hoops to jump through adding the act itself).   PFM really got going after I Quelli members got together with Mauro Pagani from Dalton.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk