Print Page | Close Window

Bands that could have been successful, but weren't

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123523
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 18:39
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Bands that could have been successful, but weren't
Posted By: FatherChristmas
Subject: Bands that could have been successful, but weren't
Date Posted: July 19 2020 at 05:48
Is there a band you think had massive potential, but were never really popular? 
For me, it's Caravan. I don't think I'm alone here... some of their stuff sounds really popular... but wasn't.
Apologies if this topic is already covered.
What say you? 

-------------
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten

Replies:
Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: July 19 2020 at 06:09
Absolutely Procol Harum. Song like "a Salty Dog" really should have been a massive hit, but it was #44 in UK single chart and didnīt chart at all in US. Also their Shine On Brightly & Grand Hotel albums are masterpieces with commercial potential but no big selling, well Grand Hotel was #21 in Billboard. All the way band was much more than "one hit wonder".

Family was also other very great sixties/seventies band, it was popular in UK, but never made it in US. It also had lots of potential, but of course there were people that couldnīt stand Chapmanīs voice.

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: July 19 2020 at 06:37
Assuming the OP means 'much more commercially successful' I'd throw these into the hat but as I don't have any sales figures to back this up I'm guessing:

Happy the Man
Argent
Greenslade
Gentle Giant
Atomic Rooster
Chou Pahrot (brilliant band from Glasgow http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=8062" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=8062 )
Refugee
Beggars Opera
Ange

-------------

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 04:29
Not prog but Seatrain (from 1970) should have been much bigger than they were.  Their second album "Seatrain" was the first album produced by George Martin after his run with the Beatles.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 05:00
Depends how you define popular/successful. I would say Caravan have been a pretty successful in their field but most of their music was never going to be mass-market stuff. Maybe some of their shorter songs (Golf Girl etc) might have got in the singles chart back in the day.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 07:24
Hi,

My thoughts are that after the huge signings that 2 bands got, that the chance of a lot of these bands to get bigger and get some more support, died down quite a bit.

I'm not surprised, despite one person here arguing that one band making it big would support 100 smaller bands, and that is the craziest and silliest thing I have ever heard ... no businessman would go spending that profit so easily on propositions that were not quite showing as much as the big bands did ... AND SPECIALLY WHEN THEY HAD TO INVEST SO MUCH AT THE START (RS WAS OVER 100m AT THE TIME!)... and to my ears this is when a lot of smaller bands, that had good names, ended up not being able to get a bit further in the area of support and appreciation of the public ... not to mention the horrible pairings in various concerts ... and Dave Cousins tells us a couple of stories about one Canadian band that tried to make sure Strawbs would have problems ... which is not cool ... but that Canadian band was pulling in some money, and Strawbs wasn't, and because of the MC's and other issues, Dc says they took some abuse.

The problem is one of mixing fan bases and hurting one band, regardless ... it might be better appreciated today, than it was then, but still was a problem ... and you ought to look at some of the pairings for King Crimson in the early days ... even more scary ... it's like some folks were trying hard to kill that band! They failed! The band is better know that most these days! 

ANGE, I am not sure, ever got a chance to play America ... and I think they might have done well, but because they had no support from anyone, their chances of getting here were probably real small. Sadly, they were/are one band that deserved better, were it not for the various videos around that make them sound really bad ... even if the staging stuff was interesting. I think they did really well on a ProgFest here in America, much later, if I remember it right.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 08:14
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Depends how you define popular/successful. I would say Caravan have been a pretty successful in their field but most of their music was never going to be mass-market stuff. Maybe some of their shorter songs (Golf Girl etc) might have got in the singles chart back in the day.
I'm mainly defining success by commercial success, but also fame - for instance, King Crimson was not very commercially successful but is very famous. What I meant with Caravan is that some of their songs, eg. Golf Girl, Love to Love You and Aristocracy sound like they could have been very popular, as one example, with the folk and psychedelic scenes in the 60s... perhaps they weren't very commercially successful because they were released at the wrong time.

-------------

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 08:21
the Kinks dou to their ban from US did not get that wide audience and US market they yerned yet Ray Davis probably would not have made the most beutifull albums about englishness and london if they had achieved what they sought after in the mid 60s. They are now famous more so for their longevity and good quality of albums and baclcatalogue and their importance is becouse they did things before any other bands did things

-------------

Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 08:30
Aren't the Kinks one of the biggest bands of the 60s?? Maybe that's just for Britain.

-------------

Posted By: AlanB
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 08:39
I saw After The Fire several times back in the late 70s/early 80s. As a prog band they were a bit late in the day and maybe not original enough, but their metamorphosis to a New Wave band should have brought them more success than it did. They had a good live following and some promotion on Radio 1 which got their first single to number 40 in the charts before it dropped out again. Later singles (many better than the first one IMO) all flopped and they eventually got disillusioned and called it a day. Ironically, their last single, a cover version of a Falco song, made it to number 1 in several countries (though it flopped in the UK) after they'd split.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 09:58
Bands I think were accessible and had some nice melodies were Cressida, Spring, and Fantasy...all 3 tanked after a couple of lp's.......not prog but 3 pop rock bands that were very good were Big Star, Game Theory, and Jellyfish...all 3 wrote very clever songs filled with hooks and great melodies.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 21:17
I would say the following:
Anekdoten
Echolyn
Kaipa
Circus Maximus
Tiles
Pallas

-------------

Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 21:58
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Anekdoten
Echolyn

Hi,

The sad thing about these is that they were coming up during the time when all of a sudden we discovered our 5 GODS in this universe!

And of course, the new impostors could not possibly have a chance!

Sad, really ... Anekdotten and the other band (can never remember their name when I need it!) from the same area, were both excellent, and all many folks could say was that they were KC copies, which just about tells you how much listening was really done!

Echolyn ... deserved better ... and sadly it didn't happen ... I can not explain it. And then "progressive" metal comes up really big and these bands took a dive!

Very sad!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 22:10
Genesis during the Peter Gabriel era(and just before Steve left). They should have been just as big as Yes or ELP but in the US at least they weren't. 

Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 22:11
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Anekdoten
Echolyn

Hi,

The sad thing about these is that they were coming up during the time when all of a sudden we discovered our 5 GODS in this universe!

And of course, the new impostors could not possibly have a chance!

Sad, really ... Anekdotten and the other band (can never remember their name when I need it!) from the same area, were both excellent, and all many folks could say was that they were KC copies, which just about tells you how much listening was really done!

Echolyn ... deserved better ... and sadly it didn't happen ... I can not explain it. And then "progressive" metal comes up really big and these bands took a dive!

Very sad!

You are probably thinking of Anglagard. 

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 00:37
always felt that Be Bop Deluxe should have been as big as Led Zep. They were a bit of an enigma though and hard to pigeon hole which is why it didn't really happen. Punk bands liked them but they were still considered the old guard when the great cull of 1977 happened and all prog (and related bands) became instantly 'uncool'.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 04:28
A Alan says it does depend how you define 'successful' but if we're talking bands that deserved to be HUGE commercially, then three spring to mind.

Renaissance, The Enid and It Bites.

Renaissance and the Enid made near perfect music for a respective run of albums, and both had the components of would could have been a very successful formula. Renaissance had the beautiful voice of Annie Haslam, and the striking piano work of John out. The Enid fused rock with classical in the same way as ELP (but obviously different!), with the occasional ambiance of Floyd.

It Bites had the look, the sound, the musical chops, the melodies, but they were simply too prog for pop, and too pop for prog. They tried to prog people without them knowing, but the music press kept pointing out their prog credentials and steering people away. The only magazine that seemed behind them was, bizarrely the heavy metal mag Kerrang!

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 04:45
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

A Alan says it does depend how you define 'successful' but if we're talking bands that deserved to be HUGE commercially, then three spring to mind.

Renaissance

YUP.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 08:31
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Genesis during the Peter Gabriel era(and just before Steve left). They should have been just as big as Yes or ELP but in the US at least they weren't. 

Hi,

By that time, the US market in the FM radio was already starting to wind down, and it became about songs, not the longer pieces of music ... and the only great example I had, was TLLDOB, when it came out ... on that evening, Guy Guden went on the air and played both albums back to back, and got such an incredible audience attention and reaction that he did it again a bit later! The rest of the station? They couldn't figure out which song to play because there wasn't a "hit" defined for them!

Laugh you doggies!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 08:52
Strawbs tasted big success in UK with "Bursting at the Seams" but then imploded and had to settle for cult success in North America (especially Canada) for the two follow up albums "Hero and Heroine" and "Ghosts".  I could see why the bleak "Hero.." never quite gained a mass audience but "Ghosts" included a lot of that complexity along with some very accessible quirky pop tunes that deserved more recognition.   Maybe their potential appeal across the board resulted in limited appeal with any one audience, but they definitely deserved better

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 10:21

Hi,

By that time, the US market in the FM radio was already starting to wind down, and it became about songs, not the longer pieces of music ... and the only great example I had, was TLLDOB, when it came out ... on that evening, Guy Guden went on the air and played both albums back to back, and got such an incredible audience attention and reaction that he did it again a bit later! The rest of the station? They couldn't figure out which song to play because there wasn't a "hit" defined for them!

Laugh you doggies!

That makes no sense. If you use that logic to apply to Genesis then it would have to apply to Yes and ELP also and those two were big. Genesis were doing pretty much the same thing Yes and ELP were doing and in in a lot cases were more song oriented than Yes or ELP. So the fact that Yes and ELP got big and not  Genesis just tells me that they were doing something wrong in the marketing department or were on the wrong label and imo had nothing to do with the music itself unless you want to say that PG's voice or appearance(ie the stage costumes)were too weird or quirky for the american public but even that is probably pure bs.

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 10:23
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Strawbs tasted big success in UK with "Bursting at the Seams" but then imploded and had to settle for cult success in North America (especially Canada) for the two follow up albums "Hero and Heroine" and "Ghosts".  I could see why the bleak "Hero.." never quite gained a mass audience but "Ghosts" included a lot of that complexity along with some very accessible quirky pop tunes that deserved more recognition.   Maybe their potential appeal across the board resulted in limited appeal with any one audience, but they definitely deserved better

The same could be said about Renaissance although I don't know how big they were in the UK. I think they were just more of a cult band in the US and not much else.

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 10:31

The same could be said about Renaissance although I don't know how big they were in the UK. I think they were just more of a cult band in the US and not much else.

I agree about Renaissance.  Their albums always included tasteful pop numbers along with the grand sweeping epics.  They were much bigger in the US, with a sizable following in certain geographic areas but once you got outside the Northeast cult would probably be the operative word. 

Interestingly, their only singles success came in the UK with "Northern Lights" in 1978, a song which had no singles chart impact in the US.  If they could have had that hit earlier, before punk and arena rock were closing in, they might have achieved bigger success.

I notice that their albums sold in the US the way jazz albums did.  A typical well known jazz album might scrape the top 50 on billboard but be in the charts for 4-6 months, whereas a pop album could easily hit the top 50 but only stay in the charts for 2-3 months.  Renaissance's pattern was more of a jazz album - moderate interest percolating over a longer period of time than similarly charting albums by other rock groups

Posted By: MortSahlFan
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 10:51
I would think Illusion would have had a better opportunity.. Both their albums were great, and their songs were what I call "classic prog-rock", but they were all radio friendly and under 10 minutes, and I also prefer Jane Relf's voice to Annie Haslem's.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 10:55

I agree about Renaissance.  Their albums always included tasteful pop numbers along with the grand sweeping epics.  They were much bigger in the US, with a sizable following in certain geographic areas but once you got outside the Northeast cult would probably be the operative word. 

Interestingly, their only singles success came in the UK with "Northern Lights" in 1978, a song which had no singles chart impact in the US.  If they could have had that hit earlier, before punk and arena rock were closing in, they might have achieved bigger success.

I notice that their albums sold in the US the way jazz albums did.  A typical well known jazz album might scrape the top 50 on billboard but be in the charts for 4-6 months, whereas a pop album could easily hit the top 50 but only stay in the charts for 2-3 months.  Renaissance's pattern was more of a jazz album - moderate interest percolating over a longer period of time than similarly charting albums by other rock groups

I don't think they ever had much more of a cult following anywhere in the US. A few of their albums did make the charts though but the same could be said about Nektar and I would apply cult status to them as well. Cult isn't a bad thing. Today Yes doesn't have much more than a cult following and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. You don't want too many people jumping on the band wagon because then you have a thing like the Grateful Dead where people are more into it for the hip factor and don't care much about the actual music.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 11:06

I think that the Strawbs were bit too folk to be prog rock and too prog to be folk rock. And a bit too poetic for the sex, drugs and rock mentality of the US.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 11:07
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

I would think Illusion would have had a better opportunity.. Both their albums were great, and their songs were what I call "classic prog-rock", but they were all radio friendly and under 10 minutes, and I also prefer Jane Relf's voice to Annie Haslem's.

The two Illusion albums were great, but came along a bit late in the game for a prog group (1977-1978), but yes more of their songs were what I would call radio friendly.  But songs like "Carpet of the Sun", "I Think of you", "The Vultures Fly High" and "Northern Lights" were radio friendly as well, and the radio returned the favor

I like both Renaissance and Illusion, but Renaissance was around for a half dozen great albums and had a lot more impact and influence on other artists and on me personally.  I think both Jane and Annie have great voices but Annie has had much more emotional impact on me.  It helps that I have seen Renaissance many times and even met Annie who is utterly charming and genuine.  Ask rogerthat who recently bid on and followed through on a chance to speak with Annie via skype.

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 11:08
I think that Giles and McDonald could have been bigger if they put more effort into their eponymous debut album. A strong vocalist and/or guitarist could have done them wonders.

-------------

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 11:11

I don't think they ever had much more of a cult following anywhere in the US. A few of their albums did make the charts though but the same could be said about Nektar and I would apply cult status to them as well. Cult isn't a bad thing. Today Yes doesn't have much more than a cult following and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. You don't want too many people jumping on the band wagon because then you have a thing like the Grateful Dead where people are more into it for the hip factor and don't care much about the actual music.

It depends how you define cult.  I think in the US Northeast Renaissance was beyond cult but also obviously not superstars either.  There is a big difference between Renaissance and Nektar.  Nektar had one mega huge album and the remaining chart placements were much less impressive and based on fizzling momentum. Renaissance had 6 chart albums and, while they didn't get much beyond top 50, as I said they tended to stay there for some months.  Even "A Song for All Seasons" in 1978 had a pretty good run, when most other prog bands were not up to much 

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 11:13
As an aside, I think that early Genesis was way too British for the US too. Selling England By The Pound is not exactly a New York Minute. Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 11:14
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I think that the Strawbs were bit too folk to be prog rock and too prog to be folk rock. And a bit too poetic for the sex, drugs and rock mentality of the US.

yeah that's more or less what the all music guide said about Hero and Heroine in particular.
yes not folky enough and too folky at the same time.  Not proggy enough and too proggy at the same time, plus with a lead vocalist whose voice is definitely an acquired taste.  I've always loved it, and can't think of any song that is sung more beautifully than Benedictus, but I get that.  Still, when you consider that Supertramp became huge with a not totally different formula, it's a bit hard to understand

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 11:18
While success is relative, I do think that Comus could have found a much larger following and bigger carreer in the 70s had things worked out differently. Not as a really mainstream band, but as a much more significant band having a cult-like status.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 11:22

yeah that's more or less what the all music guide said about Hero and Heroine in particular.
yes not folky enough and too folky at the same time.  Not proggy enough and too proggy at the same time, plus with a lead vocalist whose voice is definitely an acquired taste.  I've always loved it, and can't think of any song that is sung more beautifully than Benedictus, but I get that.  Still, when you consider that Supertramp became huge with a not totally different formula, it's a bit hard to understand
I'm sure I copped that from Allmusic, as it doesn't sound like me. LOL But Supertramp was anything but poetic!

-------------

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 11:36

It depends how you define cult.  I think in the US Northeast Renaissance was beyond cult but also obviously not superstars either.  There is a big difference between Renaissance and Nektar.  Nektar had one mega huge album and the remaining chart placements were much less impressive and based on fizzling momentum. Renaissance had 6 chart albums and, while they didn't get much beyond top 50, as I said they tended to stay there for some months.  Even "A Song for All Seasons" in 1978 had a pretty good run, when most other prog bands were not up to much 

Not really true about Nektar. They had two albums that did pretty well on the charts. Remember the Future went to number 19 and down to earth went to 32(both in US). The fizzling momentum applies to Renaissance as well and also a lot of bands. Focus fit into this category also since they had pretty high charting albums except that two of them went gold. I would say over all they were never much more than a cult band either. Maybe my definition of cultis different than yours but Renaissance weren't bigger than GG in the US and to me GG were almost the textbook definition of a prog cult band. Having a few charting albums or even a gold record doesn't exempt a  band from cult status imo. King Crimson are another one I would say never went much beyond cult status. 

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 11:36
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

While success is relative, I do think that Comus could have found a much larger following and bigger carreer in the 70s had things worked out differently. Not as a really mainstream band, but as a much more significant band having a cult-like status.
Yeah, way too creepy not to have a bigger cult following. Especially in the US. Perhaps if they came out 10 or 15 years later.

-------------

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 11:39
Comus seem to have a pretty big hipster following these days though. Go figure.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 12:08

I think that Giles and McDonald could have been bigger if they put more effort into their eponymous debut album. A strong vocalist and/or guitarist could have done them wonders.

Like Greg Lake and Robert Fripp?

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 12:27
See the source image

Exactly!

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 15:20
I've always thought that The Rolling Stones could have become more popular if they had released a few more albums. I just don't think the music-buying public got an idea of who the band really was after only releasing 30 studio albums, 28 live albums and 26 compilation albums.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 15:43
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I've always thought that The Rolling Stones could have become more popular if they had released a few more albums. I just don't think the music-buying public got an idea of who the band really was after only releasing 30 studio albums, 28 live albums and 26 compilation albums.

Actually, I think if anything too many albums can dilute a band's career. If you look at Led Zeppelin or the Beatles they were huge but only had a decades worth of material(if that)in them. Even if you look at Queen or Pink Floyd and to some degree also the Doors and The Police their popularity is hinged upon 5 or 6 albums at the most. So ultimately it's about quality over quantity. As for the Stones they are known mainly for their 60's and 70's output. The same is True of the Kinks and the Who. Who really cares much about the 80's material(or later)by these bands? 

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 15:53

I've always thought that The Rolling Stones could have become more popular if they had released a few more albums. I just don't think the music-buying public got an idea of who the band really was after only releasing 30 studio albums, 28 live albums and 26 compilation albums.

I've always thought that the Beatles could have been more popular than Jesus had they lived about 2000 years ago, been crucified, sealed in a cave, and then an angelic Brian Epstein appeared before a groupie outside the tomb and told her that she should tell everyone to pre-order tickets for a Beatles Revival concert cause, praise God, they are getting better, better all the time -- so they had better be ready for this, the ultimate come-back concert. The faithful are still waiting, but think the concert is imminent.

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 16:17
These guys.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 22:52

This awesome band for sure

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 00:47

Renaissance and the Enid made near perfect music for a respective run of albums, and both had the components of would could have been a very successful formula. Renaissance had the beautiful voice of Annie Haslam, and the striking piano work of John out. The Enid fused rock with classical in the same way as ELP (but obviously different!), with the occasional ambiance of Floyd.

It Bites had the look, the sound, the musical chops, the melodies, but they were simply too prog for pop, and too pop for prog. They tried to prog people without them knowing, but the music press kept pointing out their prog credentials and steering people away. The only magazine that seemed behind them was, bizarrely the heavy metal mag Kerrang!

The problem with the first two was 'timing' . They started to get a bit of a buzz at the wrong time(punk /new wave) so they were swimming against the tide . It Bites - Calling All Heroes got a stack of airplay but then it went quiet. Unlike Marillion who built on Kayleigh it seems that It Bites got a bit lost in the ether. Its a bit similar to IQ although they never had a big hit (apart from bizarrely in South America with Drive On) . Both bands were as you say too 'pop' at this time for prog fans but far too interesting for pop audiences to digest.  

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 00:53

Hi,

Laugh you doggies!

That makes no sense. If you use that logic to apply to Genesis then it would have to apply to Yes and ELP also and those two were big. Genesis were doing pretty much the same thing Yes and ELP were doing and in in a lot cases were more song oriented than Yes or ELP. So the fact that Yes and ELP got big and not  Genesis just tells me that they were doing something wrong in the marketing department or were on the wrong label and imo had nothing to do with the music itself unless you want to say that PG's voice or appearance(ie the stage costumes)were too weird or quirky for the american public but even that is probably pure bs.

Yes and ELP were 'Arena bands' with an equally big sound to go with it so I think that translated better. Also Lucky Man and Roundabout were probbaly played quite a bit on radio in the states. They had a pop side which Genesis didn't at that time  Genesis only started to embrace all this after Gabriel left although ironically PG also got very good at it in the eighties!

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 01:27

I donīt think there is nothing wrong with that great album. Both singing really great way and there really are too many "guitar"-albums from that period. I think they just left in the shadow of KC (really donīt believe record company promoted that album much), also that was a year a lots of great albums.

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 01:33
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Aren't the Kinks one of the biggest bands of the 60s?? Maybe that's just for Britain.
Kinks career started to go down in the middle of sixties also in UK, their albums didnīt sell well, also they even hadnīt got high charted singes until Lola in 1970.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 02:20

I've always thought that The Rolling Stones could have become more popular if they had released a few more albums. I just don't think the music-buying public got an idea of who the band really was after only releasing 30 studio albums, 28 live albums and 26 compilation albums.

I've always thought that the Beatles could have been more popular than Jesus had they lived about 2000 years ago, been crucified, sealed in a cave, and then an angelic Brian Epstein appeared before a groupie outside the tomb and told her that she should tell everyone to pre-order tickets for a Beatles Revival concert cause, praise God, they are getting better, better all the time -- so they had better be ready for this, the ultimate come-back concert. The faithful are still waiting, but think the concert is imminent.

Never heard of Beatles or Rolling Stones; are they pre-Canterbury proto prog bands? Wink

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 03:25

I've always thought that the Beatles could have been more popular than Jesus...

Well, if Jesus would have been a better bass player... But he was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_gGAv1CnUg" rel="nofollow - cool .

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 03:37
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The problem with the first two was 'timing' . They started to get a bit of a buzz at the wrong time(punk /new wave) so they were swimming against the tide . It Bites - Calling All Heroes got a stack of airplay but then it went quiet. Unlike Marillion who built on Kayleigh it seems that It Bites got a bit lost in the ether. Its a bit similar to IQ although they never had a big hit (apart from bizarrely in South America with Drive On) . Both bands were as you say too 'pop' at this time for prog fans but far too interesting for pop audiences to digest.  
It Bites are a strange one. "Calling All The Heroes" was a big hit at the time but I never really thought of them as a "prog" band (although musically the song is way more complicated than the average pop song). I can't really put my finger on why they weren't bigger, they were popular amongst my friends.

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 05:17
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I donīt think there is nothing wrong with that great album. Both singing really great way and there really are too many "guitar"-albums from that period. I think they just left in the shadow of KC (really donīt believe record company promoted that album much), also that was a year a lots of great albums.
Well, the proof is always in the pudding. It was a flop as far as sells go and is not held high regard, except for the most diehard of the early era KC fans.

-------------

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 05:21
Not a band, but this excellent one off proggy offering from Gordon Haskell should have been a success, imho. His vocals are a bit thin but distinctive. And John Wetton played all bass on the album as well as adding backing vocals.

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 05:43

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It Bites are a strange one. "Calling All The Heroes" was a big hit at the time but I never really thought of them as a "prog" band (although musically the song is way more complicated than the average pop song). I can't really put my finger on why they weren't bigger, they were popular amongst my friends.

They had a string of singles after that, all of which were better than Calling all the Heroes, from a prog perspective, which is probably why they didn't do so well. I expected Kiss like Judas to do well, but it kinda flopped despite good reviews, but Old man and the Angel was absolutely slated by the mainstream music press. The extended album version is their best song IMO, and frankly better than anything I was listening to by neo prog acts at the time. I remember reading an interview with them in my cousins Smash Hits magazine, and Frank Dunnery was saying how much they liked Zeppelin, Genesis and Yes, much to the interviews disbelief and apparent disappointment. Great band, but a bad fit at the time I guess. I've seen them live more than any other band.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 05:57
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Never heard of Beatles or Rolling Stones; are they pre-Canterbury proto prog bands? Wink

Yes, I think one could make that argument.

Some claim that the Beatles are proto-everything: Proto-metal, Proto Heavy Prog, Proto-Indo-Prog Raga Rock, Proto-Prog Folk, Proto-Psychedelic Prog, Proto-Avant Prog, Proto-Symphonic Prog, Proto Crossover and Proto Eclectic Prog, proto-plasm and protozoa.

The Rolling Dung Beetles might be called Heavy Plop.

Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

I've always thought that the Beatles could have been more popular than Jesus...

Well, if Jesus would have been a better bass player... But he was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_gGAv1CnUg" rel="nofollow - cool .

I really liked that song, thanks. By the way, I'm not Jesus and I don't have the same initials, but I am the man who does stay home to do the dishes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn_w62TPqiM" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn_w62TPqiM

By the way, for those who may have been living under a non-Rolling stone, John Lennon once told a rock journalist, "We're more popular than Jesus now," which angered many Christians -- I guess they were bigger fans of The Rolling Stones.   

-------------

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 06:01

Actually, I think if anything too many albums can dilute a band's career. If you look at Led Zeppelin or the Beatles they were huge but only had a decades worth of material(if that)in them. Even if you look at Queen or Pink Floyd and to some degree also the Doors and The Police their popularity is hinged upon 5 or 6 albums at the most. So ultimately it's about quality over quantity. As for the Stones they are known mainly for their 60's and 70's output. The same is True of the Kinks and the Who. Who really cares much about the 80's material(or later)by these bands? 

I suppose in this day and age sarcasm cannot be deployed without the requisite emoji. Wink 

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 06:27
Two of my favorite bands that could have had a different trajectory include Captain Beyond and Flash. 

Both were hampered by mercurial band members, uneven label support and lack of vision.  If Flash had retained a permanent keyboard player, they might have excelled.  Flash bassist Ray Bennett once told me that they were trying to hire Patrick Moraz, but it was not to be. 

However, both bands did leave an impressive catalog.  RIP Peter Banks, Lee Dorman and Rhino Reinhardt.

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 06:55
Some have said that Clouds, or in the earlier incarnation, Clouds 1-2-3, could and should have found much greater success. I haven't heard any of the music.

Not Prog nor a band, although Prog Folk related to my mind, but I think that Nick Drake could have found much success in his lifetime had his life not been so short and tragic. It was only after his death that he gained quite a large following (the sad circumstances would play a part in the following to some extent). He was very withdrawn and didn't want to make public appearances, interviews or do live concerts, to promote his music and himself, and withdrew from recording and performing music during the last two years of his life. He died at age 26.

I think that Bobby Beausoleil could have been very successful had things gone differently. He created the soundtrack, I think it brilliant, for Kenneth Anger's short film Lucifer Rising (he had years before that been in the film). He recorded the soundtrack with the "Freedom Orchestra" while in prison for murder (part of the Charlie Manson "Family" saga).

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 07:26
Jade Warrior

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 08:02
If we want to venture into prog-related, the fact that Kings X never broke big is a damn shame. 

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:16

Not Prog nor a band, although Prog Folk related to my mind, but I think that Nick Drake could have found much success in his lifetime had his life not been so short and tragic. It was only after his death that he gained quite a large following (the sad circumstances would play a part in the following to some extent). He was very withdrawn and didn't want to make public appearances, interviews or do live concerts, to promote his music and himself, and withdrew from recording and performing music during the last two years of his life. He died at age 26.

I agree about Nick Drake. How eminently tragic that it took a Volkswagen commercial over 25 years after his death to bring him to prominence. Prior to that, his music was strictly underground, passed from person to person. I think you mentioned the sadly prophetic song "Fruit Tree" in another thread. I can't think of a more apt epitaph for Drake.

-------------

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:24
^ Word.

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:52
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

If we want to venture into prog-related, the fact that Kings X never broke big is a damn shame. 

totally agree, also Living Colour should have been much bigger as well. 

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 10:06
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Living Colour's first album went double platinum. How big do you want them? Lol.

In that case I think Yes, King Crimson and Rush should have been as big as Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 10:10

Living Colour's first album went double platinum. How big do you want them? Lol.

In that case I think Yes, King Crimson and Rush should have been as big as Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

Living Colour released several albums, some great music if you ask me, not just one album...

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 10:28

Living Colour released several albums, some great music if you ask me, not just one album...

I know. I was referring to their first album which was their biggest. The second one(times up)went gold. I actually don't know the later albums. The last one I heard was stain which was a bit of a let down from the first two.

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 10:35
King's X and Living Colour.  Love those bands.  I just listened to my King's X discography last week.  I've always loved their first 4 albums.  They should definitely have been bigger.  I realized last week that their albums after the first 4 are all pretty darn good too.  Living Colour hit it out of the park with Cult of Personality, but never really reached those heights again, but certainly released some really good albums afterwards.  

-------------

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 11:43
I've always been surprised Asia never really were successful (after their debut, of course).

-------------

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 11:49

I've always been surprised Asia never really were successful (after their debut, of course).

I guess it was just the heat of the moment.

-------------

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 12:19

The second album "alpha" went platinum but after that just the compilation, "then and now", was certified gold and nothing else. Only the first two were that big especially the first which sold more than any Yes album. 

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 12:27

The Beatles are overrated. Big smile

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 12:43

If we want to venture into prog-related, the fact that Kings X never broke big is a damn shame. 

Indeed. King's X had a row of killer albums up through Ear Candy (at a minimum). 

The year Dogman arrived and KX got the spot opening for Scorpions on their American tour was supposed to be their best shot.

-------------

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 23:58
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

The Beatles are overrated. Big smile
I guess this all is just a joke, but anyway as a big Stones fan I have hated that opinion Stones havenīt made any great albums after Tattoo You. And I believe many peopleīs saying that opinion not even heard any after "Tattoo You" albums.

Date Posted: July 25 2020 at 00:40

If we want to venture into prog-related, the fact that Kings X never broke big is a damn shame. 

Indeed. King's X had a row of killer albums up through Ear Candy (at a minimum). 

The year Dogman arrived and KX got the spot opening for Scorpions on their American tour was supposed to be their best shot.

You know it's weird. Many times radio is the key to success with bands but not always. Rush, Iron Maiden and Metallica all became pretty big even before they were played much on the radio. I think in the case of King's X though it would have helped them out a lot. As it is they still have a decent sized cult following but I agree they probably should have been much bigger. I saw them in concert sometime in the last decade and they were very good.

Date Posted: July 25 2020 at 01:44

You know it's weird. Many times radio is the key to success with bands but not always. Rush, Iron Maiden and Metallica all became pretty big even before they were played much on the radio. I think in the case of King's X though it would have helped them out a lot. As it is they still have a decent sized cult following but I agree they probably should have been much bigger. I saw them in concert sometime in the last decade and they were very good.

Hi,

RUSH was on the playlist for several folks at the station ... it was not as well known then, but some folks, including my room mates in the band, we already were listening to it ... (lived in a house with a band) ... but this was like '81 and '82 already ... when FM still had strength, but it made RUSH much bigger ... Iron Maid and Metallica, from what I remember (and I fell out of it in 1983 for work) came in much later as a part of the MTV thing ... specially Metallica ... by that time FM radio was already on the way down as a maker of "hit" materials, and was changing to a "classic" format and the better known bands they helped make.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: July 25 2020 at 02:23
Someone mentioned Asia....I think that the GTR "supergroup" also sputtered out quickly, after much initial fanfare.  I guess there was quite a bit of tension between Howe and Hackett.

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2020 at 05:13

Hi,

RUSH was on the playlist for several folks at the station ... it was not as well known then, but some folks, including my room mates in the band, we already were listening to it ... (lived in a house with a band) ... but this was like '81 and '82 already ... when FM still had strength, but it made RUSH much bigger ... Iron Maid and Metallica, from what I remember (and I fell out of it in 1983 for work) came in much later as a part of the MTV thing ... specially Metallica ... by that time FM radio was already on the way down as a maker of "hit" materials, and was changing to a "classic" format and the better known bands they helped make.
Rush has never been very popular in the UK, which is interesting. I think this is partly because the record company they ended up with was quite America based - for instance, for Moving Pictures, it only chose one single for the UK, Vital Signs. If they had released Tom Sawyer and Limelight there I think they could have done better - a live version of Tom Sawyer hit number 25 in Britain, which is pretty good for a song already released on an album only a few months earlier.

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2020 at 05:16
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Someone mentioned Asia....I think that the GTR "supergroup" also sputtered out quickly, after much initial fanfare.  I guess there was quite a bit of tension between Howe and Hackett.
And the critics hated them.

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2020 at 11:52

The GTR album wasn't that good, anyway. Definitely a miss.

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2020 at 16:28

The GTR album wasn't that good, anyway. Definitely a miss.

My feeling exactly, but they sure had a lot of initial hype!  

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2020 at 17:22

Hi,

Rush has never been very popular in the UK, which is interesting. I think this is partly because the record company they ended up with was quite America based - for instance, for Moving Pictures, it only chose one single for the UK, Vital Signs. If they had released Tom Sawyer and Limelight there I think they could have done better - a live version of Tom Sawyer hit number 25 in Britain, which is pretty good for a song already released on an album only a few months earlier.

Rush sold out three nights in a 60,000 seat venue in the UK in around 77/78 so not sure where you got that from. I can give you the exact details if you want since it's in a book I have. Also, AFTK, Hemispheres and PeW charted higher in the UK than in the US. From what I understand Rush were very popular among those who were into the NWHBHM(new wave of British Heavy Metal)even though they obviously weren't part of that directly. Up until Counterparts Rush were as big in the UK as in the US. Look at the wikipedia allbum charts and you'll see what I mean. These days and the past 25 years maybe not so much but you said "never very popular in the UK" which is simply not true. The band who apparently were never very popular in the UK from what I understand was Gentle Giant. Even that might have been an exagerration. Not sure.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: July 25 2020 at 17:48
interesting.. they only did two tours of England in that time frame and the biggest venue they played was in London. The Hammersmith Odeon. They were not playing stadiums.. not even close to it...but small theaters

and max capacity there IRC was 5k...  think your book writer drank a bit too much of the Rush cool aid as Rush fans are apt to do.Beer

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: July 25 2020 at 17:58
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

interesting.. they only did two tours of England in that time frame and the biggest venue they played was in London. The Hammersmith Odeon. They were not playing stadiums.. not even close to it...but small theaters

and max capacity there IRC was 5k...  think your book writer drank a bit too much of the Rush cool aid as Rush fans are apt to do.Beer

LOL

Well, just by the charts alone you can see they were as big in the UK as the US. I am still looking for that page and I could be a bit off. I might have to read the whole damn book all over again. Tongue

Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 04:19
I was actually talking about Rush's chart positions when I said they weren't that popular in Britain, it's clear they have their share of mad fans from just looking at this site. The only period they got close to large scale success in the early 80s, and that was about level with the success of old Genesis in the UK - and I saw a post that lamented that old Genesis should have been much more successful.
This is from the OCC:
Rush Album:                            UK Chart Position:
Rush                                       ~
Fly by Night                             ~
Caress of Steel                         ~
2112                                       ~
A Farewell to Kings                   22
Hemispheres                            14
Permanent Waves                     3
Moving Pictures                        3
Signals                                     3
Grace Under Pressure                5
Power Windows                        9
Hold Your Fire                          10
Presto                                     27
Roll the Bones                          10
Counterparts                            14
Test for Echo                            25
Vapour Trails                            38
Snakes and Arrows                    13
Clockwork Angels                      21

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 08:06

LOL

Well, just by the charts alone you can see they were as big in the UK as the US. I am still looking for that page and I could be a bit off. I might have to read the whole damn book all over again. Tongue

big of course being relative... ie they weren't...  in either country... they were successful though.. they grew an audience over their albums..from literally none prior to 2112... at that point in the late 70's they were a cult band. A small but fanatical fanbase..until they hit the big time in the 80's with AOR albums and getting their mugs onto MTV  ..that is when they became big 

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Rrattlesnake
Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 09:27
Disco Inferno never found commercial success only releasing 3 albums (actually they're a band I know that have more EPs than albums...) but they were a seminal band in the early post-rock scene.

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 09:47

And the critics hated them.
The critics had a point. I got that album out of a bargain for Ģ1.25 and I was robbed.

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 09:53

I was actually talking about Rush's chart positions when I said they weren't that popular in Britain, it's clear they have their share of mad fans from just looking at this site. The only period they got close to large scale success in the early 80s, and that was about level with the success of old Genesis in the UK - and I saw a post that lamented that old Genesis should have been much more successful.
This is from the OCC:
Rush Album:                            UK Chart Position:
Rush                                       ~
Fly by Night                             ~
Caress of Steel                         ~
2112                                       ~
A Farewell to Kings                   22
Hemispheres                            14
Permanent Waves                     3
Moving Pictures                        3
Signals                                     3
Grace Under Pressure                5
Power Windows                        9
Hold Your Fire                          10
Presto                                     27
Roll the Bones                          10
Counterparts                            14
Test for Echo                            25
Vapour Trails                            38
Snakes and Arrows                    13
Clockwork Angels                      21

Aside from a few in the later years I would say that's pretty big and bigger than most prog bands ever get. If that's not successful(or big) then we obviously have different defintions of what success is. 

Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 09:56

LOL

big of course being relative... ie they weren't...  in either country... they were successful though.. they grew an audience over their albums..from literally none prior to 2112... at that point in the late 70's they were a cult band. A small but fanatical fanbase..until they hit the big time in the 80's with AOR albums and getting their mugs onto MTV  ..that is when they became big 

You too Micky? Really? Rush were never big? I guess Yes weren't either and neither were Genesis(as a prog band).

Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 10:01

LOL

You too Micky? Really? Rush were never big? I guess Yes weren't either and neither were Genesis(as a prog band).

Oh wait. I think I see what you are saying. Well, in the late 70's they were starting to get big but they already were in Canada. 

But it's ok because we all have our own opinions anyway. A lot of Yes fans think Yes were huge but I say they never really were and it's arguable they were ever even big. Even in the 80's I remember the kids in high school all had U2, REM, Metallica, Iron Maiden t shirts but only one or two here and there had Yes t shirts.

Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 10:37

LOL

Oh wait. I think I see what you are saying. Well, in the late 70's they were starting to get big but they already were in Canada. 

But it's ok because we all have our own opinions anyway. A lot of Yes fans think Yes were huge but I say they never really were and it's arguable they were ever even big. Even in the 80's I remember the kids in high school all had U2, REM, Metallica, Iron Maiden t shirts but only one or two here and there had Yes t shirts.
Rush were one of the most successful prog bands. A successful prog band is not necessarily a successful band. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 13:04

LOL

Rush were one of the most successful prog bands. A successful prog band is not necessarily a successful band. Wink

Yeah not successful. With the exception of The Rolling Stones, the Beatles and Aerosmith they have more consecutive gold and platinum albums than any band(prog or otherwise) with three of them being multiplatinum not to mention worldwide sales of over 40 million. You're right though. Not successful. LOL

Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 13:34

I suppose in this day and age sarcasm cannot be deployed without the requisite emoji. Wink 

I didn't see this reply until just now. Actually, I kind of figured you were being sarcastic and initially had a reply to reflect that but decided to play it straight anyway(as you did). ;)

Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 13:42

LOL

micky's right - Rush played the Hammy Odeon in September 1978. I was there and still have the ticket. Not sure of its capacity but I'm guessing a few thousand.

Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 13:45

LOL

micky's right - Rush played the Hammy Odeon in September 1978. I was there and still have the ticket. Not sure of its capacity but I'm guessing a few thousand.

Ok. Well, like I said if I come across the thing I was referring to then I will post it here. 

Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 16:36
A Show of Hands was filmed at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham, which holds around 15,000. That's not a "small venue."

On the Clockwork Angels tour, Rush played the Manchester Arena (capacity: 21,000) and other good-size venues.

https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/tourdates.php#CLOCKWORK" rel="nofollow - https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/tourdates.php#CLOCKWORK

As far as prog bands go...yeah, Rush is big.

-------------

Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 16:56
Yep, Rush played bigger venues later, but in around 1977/78, as had been referenced, they did not play such big venues. I looked it up before too, and it seemed the Hammersmith Odeon was the biggest venue of the period (I didn't examine every one) and it only holds about 5000 at maximum capacity, which is a very far cry from a 60, 000 seat venue as the book apparently has stated (for the Farewell to Kings tour, I guess).

If "Rush sold out three nights in a 60,000 seat venue in the UK in around 77/78" they certainly would have been huge.

-------------

Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 17:19
Yeah, they weren't as big in the U.K. for a few years. It took them Moving Pictures and Signals to move them up a few notches.

-------------

Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 17:22

Yep, Rush played bigger venues later, but in around 1977/78, as had been referenced, they did not play such big venues. I looked it up before too, and it seemed the Hammersmith Odeon was the biggest venue of the period (I didn't examine every one) and it only holds about 5000 at maximum capacity, which is a very far cry from a 60, 000 seat venue as the book apparently has stated (for the Farewell to Kings tour, I guess).

If "Rush sold out three nights in a 60,000 seat venue in the UK in around 77/78" they certainly would have been huge.

Listen, I admit I very well could have been wrong. Ok? Let's not beat a dead horse here. Again, when I find the reference I was thinking of I will post it. Let's move on from this.

Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 17:37
Sorry if I caused you offence. I make mistakes often, it's no big deal (except for when it is), I check them, then try to correct them. My memory is not what it was even a few years ago -- deteriorated quite badly. I only mentioned it because I thought verslibre might have not understood the context since he seemed to be referencing Micky's small theatres comment which referred to your recollection. Despite being such a confusing writer, I'm a big one for clarity, transparency and particularly context.

By the way, Rush did play an arena in London in I think about 1978. The London Gardens Arena in London, Ontario, Canada. It's not a very big hockey arena, though. Rush playing hockey arenas, how stereotypically Canadian, just add back-bacon, maple syrup and beer and an apology, eh?

Peace
- Greg the kooky Canuck.

-------------

Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 17:47

By the way, Rush did play an arena in London in I think about 1978. The London Gardens Arena in London, Ontario, Canada.

https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/tourdates.php#HEMISPHERES" rel="nofollow - https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/tourdates.php#HEMISPHERES

December 19, 1978

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk