Printed Date: May 05 2024 at 14:31
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Which is THE Moody Blues Epic?
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: Which is THE Moody Blues Epic?
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 10:14
Whcih is THE Moody Blues Epic?

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Replies:
Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 10:40
I would have picked "My Song" if it was a choice.  Guess I'll go with Legend of a Mind with Question just behind it

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 10:46
I voted for Nights in White Satin although most of these aren't really epics in my opinion.

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 11:08
Have You Heard, the Question on everybody's mind this Tuesday Afternoon is which is THE Moody Blues classic, and the Legend of a Mind has it that it HAS to be Nights in White Satin. Smile

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 11:13
1. Nights
2. Tuesday
3. Legend
4. Question
5. Have

All great songs.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 12:05
But none of them are what I would call Epics. However, my favourite is Nights in White Satin.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 13:02
Voted for Legend of a Mind. House of Four Doors / Legend of a Mind is their only piece that has some remote similarity to an epic, as far as I know.

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 13:14
I'll say Question, just to be different. Really, could be any of at least 3 or 4 of these.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 13:30
Legend 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 13:46
I like all of them, but for very personal reasons, I voted Question.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 00:26
Never liked Legend of a Mind. The actual epic here should have been House of Four Doors which bookends Legend of a Mind has some really cool Mellotron and some interesting Pinder themes which are never developed on. I admit Ray Thomas is my blind spot. He's never appealed to me as a songwriter. His best song is For My Lady, not Legend of a Mind which is repetitive and rather boring with uninteresting lyrics. From the list above Have you Heard, parts 1 and 2 is pretty good, while Question possibly tops the list as the best ever Moody Blues song (with Knights in White Satin).  

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 01:44
THE Moodies epic? It's probably Nights in White Satin, though it's not my favourite song here. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 04:15
Got to be Nights, but it's close with Tuesday Afternoon and Question. Are any of these really epics though?

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 04:22
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Got to be Nights, but it's close with Tuesday Afternoon and Question. Are any of these really epics though?

I wouldn't have thought so. I've never regarded Tuesday Afternoon and Question as "epics", but Nights in White Satin has always been a true moody blue epic song for me. Smile

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 05:39

I take your point on the other songs, but if Nights isn't an epic, then I don't know what is. Confused

-------------

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 14:28
White Satin is a hit love song, nothing more...it has some interesting mellotron work...but the lyrics are a bit mills and boon....epic my arse...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 14:58
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I take your point on the other songs, but if Nights isn't an epic, then I don't know what is. Confused

Agreed, proving that a song doesn't necessarily have to be 15 minutes long to be considered a proggy epic. When "Nights in White Satin" is included with "Late Lament" from the Days of Future Passed album, then it truly is a song of epic proportions with an overall running time of 7:24. Nights in White Satin is epic in terms of its grand symphonic majesty, but not necessarily epic in terms of its running time. Smile

I would question whether "Question" is an epic though. Wink

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 15:12
Because the way the albums (well the classic 'Threshold' albums)are structured, with songs segueing one into another in effect creating 'movements' within a 'one track each side', the albums are epics in their own right! Well, that's what I feel anyway! Doesn't help me pick one of the options.. Have you heard pts1 & 2 as Threshold of a Dream is my favourite narrowly followed by Children's children's children.

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 18:31
Legend Of A Mind..........but Nights and Tuesday Afternoon are great tracks....as are Have You Heard and  Question .
Sadly they never really did an epic long heavy piece of 15 or 20 minutes .

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 23:49
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Legend Of A Mind..........but Nights and Tuesday Afternoon are great tracks....as are Have You Heard and  Question .
Sadly they never really did an epic long heavy piece of 15 or 20 minutes .

Not unless you count the Days of Future Passed album as one long continuous epic suite of music, just as Cosmic Lawnmower Man mentioned. Smile

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 01:35
Nights.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 03:39
I consider The Dream-Have you Heard ?-The Voyage-Have you Heard ? as a wonderful ‘epic’ of sorts from The Moodies, but as a singular piece - Legend of a Mind hits the spot for me.

Posted By: isleyrunt jones
Date Posted: November 21 2020 at 15:42
Without any doubt at all, (for me) it has to be, Mike's 'My song'.

But if you were to encapsulate the Moodies sound on only one track, it would have to be 'A Simple Game' written by Michael Pinder.

All the essential elements of the classic 7 albums are to be found on this one track.

The classic Moodies harmonies, the meaningful lyrics, the superb musicianship and the magnificent Tony Clarke/Derek Varnals production. (Relegated to a single 45 B.Side.)
Unbelievable.

Date Posted: November 21 2020 at 15:53
Originally posted by isleyrunt jones isleyrunt jones wrote:

Without any doubt at all, (for me) it has to be, Mike's 'My song'.

But if you were to encapsulate the Moodies sound on only one track, it would have to be 'A Simple Game' written by Michael Pinder.

All the essential elements of the classic 7 albums are to be found on this one track.

The classic Moodies harmonies, the meaningful lyrics, the superb musicianship and the magnificent Tony Clarke/Derek Varnals production. (Relegated to a single 45 B.Side.)
Unbelievable.

The problem was that neither Pinder or Justin Haywood (both made attempts) felt that they nailed the lead vocal as they had to stretch too few words of the verses over too long a melody. The song was put in a vault for 7 years as result.

-------------

Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Date Posted: November 21 2020 at 15:56
Nights In White Satin!

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: November 22 2020 at 12:37
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

White Satin is a hit love song, nothing more...it has some interesting mellotron work...but the lyrics are a bit mills and boon....epic my arse...

Trust you

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: November 22 2020 at 12:39
Legend

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Spacegod87
Date Posted: November 23 2020 at 06:34
Legend of a mind.

'Nights in white satin' is a beautiful song, but not an epic in my mind. 
Plus it depresses me. I don't know why, it just always has. 
It depressed me so much as a teenager that I couldn't listen to it at all.
It's better now, but still makes me sad.

-------------
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: November 23 2020 at 08:22
Torn between Question and Tuesday Afternoon.

Posted By: Steve Wyzard
Date Posted: November 23 2020 at 17:59
Here's another vote for "My Song", which is only 6:20, but with the sprawling instrumental center-section must be considered an epic.

Posted By: Steve Wyzard
Date Posted: January 04 2022 at 10:22
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I would have picked "My Song" if it was a choice.

Here's another vote for "My Song". Every Good Boy Deserves Favour is my favorite from the "core seven"!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk