Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123570
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 10:04
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Jethro Tull vs Rush TOP 6 Albums
Posted By: thief
Subject: Jethro Tull vs Rush TOP 6 Albums
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 00:33
Okay, so I went with six "best" (according to PA) albums for both bands, a number which favors Rush - they have exactly six classics according to majority of fans. But Jethro Tull should have good chances as they have a good number of 5 star albums too, just not in consecutive order.

Replies:
Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 00:36
JT for sure

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 00:47
More of a rush fan so I went with them although the JT albums are great as well.

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 00:53
Rush easily. My second favorite band and this is their greatest run. The only other album they have which matches the quality of any of these six is their swan song, Clockwork Angels.

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 00:54
Even TAAB can't offset the mastery of the first several Rush albums.

Rush on this one.

I also prefer 2112 to TAAB. Fight me Wink.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 01:00
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Rush on this one.

How about I shake your hand because I totally agree! :)

And Thick As A Brick is a top tier album.

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 01:03

Rush on this one.

Preference is fair game... now, if you said 2112 is, I dunno, "better" or "richer" than TAAB, I might object Wink

I'm definitely much more of a Jethro Tull than Rush fan... although I'm busy revisiting RUSH this week (3-4 album spins a day) and I'm having a BLAST. So I'm still on the fence, need a bit more time.
Prime Rush is a perfect mix of prog and hard rock bonanza, interesting enough to dissect and revisit, but also very "lightweight" which makes it a top choice for car ride / office work etc.

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 01:03
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Rush on this one.

Only if we can shake in alternating patterns of 7/8 then 15/8 (ostinato)!!! WinkCool 

-------------

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 01:05

Rush on this one.

Only if we can shake in alternating patterns of 7/8 then 15/8 (ostinato)!!! WinkCool 

It's a done deal, but I'm feeling like adding some swing to it today.

-------------

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 01:06

Rush on this one.

I'm a bass player, I'll follow whatever groove you set and we'll lock it in. Let's record it and make it 30 minutes and make the next prog epic for 2020 to give the boards something new to talk about LOL.

-------------

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 01:09

Rush on this one.

I'm a bass player, I'll follow whatever groove you set and we'll lock it in. Let's record it and make it 30 minutes and make the next prog epic for 2020 to give the boards something new to talk about LOL.

Ha! I'd love to, lol. I play a variety of instruments but saxophone and vocals are where most of my skills lie. What kind of lyrics would do the trick? A sequel to A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers perhaps?

-------------

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 02:02
Okay I'll try to make up my mind in this comment.
Rush = fresh, futuristic, airy, angular, colorful chords; space galleon over San Francisco Bay, 7:00 AM
Jethro = cunning, yore, earthy, charismatic, lavish arrangements; bards RPG team fooling around and partying their way through space and time

Apples and oranges really. Jethro was "proggier" at their "proggiest", but none of these bands is full 100% prog the way VDGG or Flower Kings are.
Rush is very, very even at top of their game. Anything from 1977 to 1981 could be considered their peak (four albums). Mailman consistency, always satisfying. Technical, interesting, fascinating at times. But Jethro went further with TAAB, and I don't think Cygnus X-1 (any of them) is really better than Baker St. Muse, for example. Jethro has at least four 5 star albums in my book, Rush - I'm not sure.

So slight advantage to Jethro Tull, for now.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 02:32
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

JT for sure

Same here.

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 03:05
JT

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 04:11
Rush. Easy choice. I simply prefer their music, and that run of albums is perfect Rush.

The Tull albums are ok, but nothing there that blows my mind.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Earl of Mar
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 05:11
Prefer Rush. The four albums from 2112 are just great. I like Tull but personal preference is Rush.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 06:02
Jethro Tull. Rush is for high school kids who haven't figured out what they want to be when they grow up.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 06:04
J. Tull Esquire.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 07:22
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Jethro Tull. Rush is for high school kids who haven't figured out what they want to be when they grow up.

You mean walking the line between Zepp/Sabbath hard rock, then some progressive stuff, and then going the synth highway??

Posted By: Gentle and Giant
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 07:33
Rush, easily.

-------------
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 08:17
Don't make me choose!!!

OK, then, RUUUUUSSSSSSHHHHH!

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: VianaProghead
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 09:04
It's very difficult to choose. So, I cannot vote on this poll.

-------------
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)

Posted By: Braka1
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 09:32
Tull.  At their best they had an emotional depth, nuance and true originality, and importantly at their core they have one thing Rush lack - a great songwriter.

-------------

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 10:04
Making it even again: Rush !
Only Permanent Waves is an album that never truly convinced me but the others are great albums that I listen to regularly.
With Tull, only Thick as a Brick convinced me (very much), but the others much less.

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 13:01
Rush. Both bands have released two albums of surpassing excellence, but the difference is in the category just below.

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 15:45
Only Aqualung blows my mind, IMO the best material JTull produced. But nowhere near comes close to that string of Rush albums. 

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 16:04
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Only Aqualung blows my mind, IMO the best material JTull produced. But nowhere near comes close to that string of Rush albums. 

I voted for Rush also. However, have you ever heard thick as a brick? To me that's a pretty mind bending album and probably my favorite Tull record.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 16:19
Remove Stand Up and add Stormwatch and it will be a much closer race. Wink

Signed,

A long-time Rush fanboy

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 16:41
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I voted for Rush also. However, have you ever heard thick as a brick? To me that's a pretty mind bending album and probably my favorite Tull record.

I have not......I'll put it on my Christmas list Big smile

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 17:04
No surprises on where my vote went.  When it comes to Jethro Tull, I am more of a greatest hits man.  The stuff that made the radio is the stuff that I most have a history with and most like.  There are some hidden gems scattered throughout their discography but I just don't have the history or connection with those songs that I have with their hits.  I love the 3 minute single version of Thick as a Brick, but rarely feel the desire to listen to the whole album.  I have listened to A Passion Play a couple of time but aside from some interesting parts it didn't really grab me either.  

-------------

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 17:56

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I have not......I'll put it on my Christmas list Big smile

Wow, no offense but that's rather surprising especially since it's been on the top five on here for as long as I can remember. A real masterpiece imo. Of course not everyone will agree but not everyone agrees on any of the top albums on here. 

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 18:23
Tull........; I do like those classic Rush albums but the songwriting by Anderson and Tull eclipses Rush , but I would rather see Benefit on that list than Horses.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 18:52
Jethro Tull easily.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 23:13
Congratulations on devising a poll which is unchoosable. 

Date Posted: July 23 2020 at 23:40
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Tull........; I do like those classic Rush albums but the songwriting by Anderson and Tull eclipses Rush , but I would rather see Benefit on that list than Horses.

The thing with Tull is that we have 4-5 albums most people regard as "Tier 1" (Superelite) and then a plethora of "Tier 2" LPs, very similar level when it comes to songwriting, hooks, arrangements etc. Instead of Stand Up or Minstrel in the Gallery we could easily have: Benefit, Living in the Past, A Passion Play (!), War Child or Stormwatch... and I don't even touch 80s/90s material (there is a lot of Crest, Branches or Broadsword fans out there).

So I went with average ratings according to PA, although differences between #4 and #8 are miniscule.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 01:34
JT.

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 04:32
Rush, subtract signals and add Caress of Steel....much better than the folk prog outfit...2112 start is better than anything tull did...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 06:25
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

2112 start is better than anything tull did...

nah

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 07:52
Being a huge Rush fan, of course I voted for them but that's a real sweet spot for JT. I really like almost all of that era.

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 11:12
tough choice

but

Rush this time

-------------
Prog On!

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 12:39
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

The thing with Tull is that we have 4-5 albums most people regard as "Tier 1" (Superelite) and then a plethora of "Tier 2" LPs, very similar level when it comes to songwriting, hooks, arrangements etc. Instead of Stand Up or Minstrel in the Gallery we could easily have: Benefit, Living in the Past, A Passion Play (!), War Child or Stormwatch... and I don't even touch 80s/90s material (there is a lot of Crest, Branches or Broadsword fans out there).

So I went with average ratings according to PA, although differences between #4 and #8 are miniscule.

Nah, not Benefit – that's early early Tull.

Living in the Past is not a studio album, it's a pre-TAAB compilation.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 12:47
Rush!

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 13:08
24 to 24 at the moment. Isn't that amazing ?
And that when everybody knows that Rush is much better than Tull. You see how polls can be a distortion of reality. Nuke

Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 13:11
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

And that when everybody knows that Rush is much better than Tull. You see how polls can be a distortion of reality. Nuke

Big smile
What!! How Rush is much better than Jethro (I really haven´t "known" that)? Or are you just joking?

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 13:16
Joking? Me? No, never... Ermm

Just provoking, a little, little bit, maybe...

-------------

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 13:20
Well, have to say that mostly Rush is just rubbish after Power Windows (well Presto was ok), but Jethro has never done totally bad album. And I am not provoking, that´s my opinion.

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 13:59
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Well, have to say that mostly Rush is just rubbish after Power Windows (well Presto was ok), but Jethro has never done totally bad album. And I am not provoking, that´s my opinion.

Both Rush and Tull have released inconsistent/subpar albums, e.g. Snakes & Arrows and Rock Island, respectively.

-------------

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 14:00
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Big smile

It's possible to like both bands, you know... Wink

-------------

Date Posted: July 24 2020 at 23:36

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Both Rush and Tull have released inconsistent/subpar albums, e.g. Snakes & Arrows and Rock Island, respectively.
Well, I like Rock Island much more than Snakes & Arrows. For example title song, "the Whaler´s Dues" & "Big Riff & Mando" rises almost their greatest stuff level. In Snakes & Arrows there is really good playing and great sounds, but no songs I remember at the moment (well remember that catchy starting of first piece). As many other also thinks, "Underwraps" is the weakest Jethro album, but even that is better than Rush weak albums and lot better than it´s reputation. There are good songs, but eighties production again is the one that makes album little weak.

Posted By: TexasKing
Date Posted: July 25 2020 at 03:01
Rush by far.
Out of all Tull albums I'm a fan of only Thick as a Brick.

Date Posted: July 25 2020 at 09:13

Nah, not Benefit – that's early early Tull.

Living in the Past is not a studio album, it's a pre-TAAB compilation.

Living in the Past deserves mention as a "studio album", considering that most of it is singles/EP material. 
Benefit is basically as good as Stand Up so another deserving album.

Date Posted: July 25 2020 at 13:24

Living in the Past deserves mention as a "studio album", considering that most of it is singles/EP material.

Which is why it's a compilation album, i.e. it consists of material recorded ca. 1968-71. It's not a "studio album" that occurs between Aqualung and TAAB.

http://jethrotull.com/living-in-the-past/" rel="nofollow - http://jethrotull.com/living-in-the-past/

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2020 at 13:37

Which is why it's a compilation album, i.e. it consists of material recorded ca. 1968-71. It's not a "studio album" that occurs between Aqualung and TAAB.

http://jethrotull.com/living-in-the-past/" rel="nofollow - http://jethrotull.com/living-in-the-past/

In context, except for a few stray songs LitP was a new album in 1972 in the U.S. and Canada because none of the material had been released in North America. So for me, personally, much of the material was unreleased gems.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Date Posted: July 25 2020 at 14:04
"Unreleased" gems, sure — recorded at different times (and at least one re-recorded song, and bonus live material on the 2CD remaster). Still not the definition of studio album as it is used in these parts.

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2020 at 14:19

"Unreleased" gems, sure — recorded at different times (and at least one re-recorded song, and bonus live material on the 2CD remaster). Still not the definition of studio album as it is used in these parts.

Since there was nothing on the original release album (which I have) that indicates anything about a release date, I would suggest that a 12 year old (which I was) in 1972 would consider the whole thing fresh and new. You are correct, but as I said, context.

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2020 at 15:21
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

In context, except for a few stray songs LitP was a new album in 1972 in the U.S. and Canada because none of the material had been released in North America. So for me, personally, much of the material was unreleased gems.

This.

So, it's not a Studio Album the way TAAB or Aqualung is, but it's still a collection of "new songs" for a considerable group of fans back then. Heck, it was for me too, that's why I lump it together with proper studio albums in my mind.

In any case, when it comes to comparisons, it's still 15+ good songs that make Jethro Tull's output even more impressive, and that was the sole point of my comment - to highlight how vast their 70s catalogue really was, and LITP could stand its own vs plenty of quality albums.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: July 25 2020 at 15:34
Tull quite easily.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: July 25 2020 at 15:48
Wow this is close. Not sure I can pick. I guess I’ll pick Rush.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 01:16
Rush were one of the most consistent bands in rock history. The idea that they turned out 'mostly rubbish' after Power Windows is complete nonsense. Vapor Trails and Counterparts kick ass (admittedly more hard rock in style but still great) and they carried on making decent albums right to the end.

Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 02:20
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Rush were one of the most consistent bands in rock history. The idea that they turned out 'mostly rubbish' after Power Windows is complete nonsense. Vapor Trails and Counterparts kick ass (admittedly more hard rock in style but still great) and they carried on making decent albums right to the end.
Well, I think it´s a matter of different music tastes. I believe you are not enjoying later Jethro albums as I do. There are good playing in every Rush-album, but I just think they lost the ability to make interesting songs already in "Grace Under Pressure" (Distant Early Warning is great exception), I like "Power Windows" and "Presto" just nostalgic reasons. Have to say "Roll the Bones" song is the most horrible thing they have ever done!

Posted By: Spacegod87
Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 04:21
No hate against Rush, they're fantastic, but I've always liked Tull more. Personal preference.

-------------
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 07:58
got to give it up to Rush.. though would have voted for Tull if Benefit had been sub'd for Minstrel or Horses

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 12:37
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

got to give it up to Rush.. though would have voted for Tull if Benefit had been sub'd for Minstrel or Horses

A kindred spirit with sublime taste...regarding Benefit.......not Rush.

Wink

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: July 26 2020 at 14:23
Rush edge it, but what a series of albums from both. The fact that the Rush albums are consecutive, whereas Tull has some skips has to mean something.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Date Posted: July 27 2020 at 00:15
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Rush edge it, but what a series of albums from both. The fact that the Rush albums are consecutive, whereas Tull has some skips has to mean something.

I tried to give Rush a "high ground" in this battle, their consecutive 6 run is incredible.
Jethro could be GOAT for consecutive 10 or 12 albums, especially if we count LITP Cool

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: December 22 2020 at 16:45

Heavy Horses and Songs from the Wood as well as A Passion Play are mindf****

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Date Posted: December 22 2020 at 20:40
Although I have heard all of those JT albums at least once I am far more familiar with the Rush albums so to be fair I won't vote. 

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: December 22 2020 at 22:10
Only reason I voted Rush was you didn't list Passion Play in the best Tull albums. In fact I can't think of a better successive trio of albums than Aqualung, Brick and Passion Play. Yes and Genesis maybe.

Date Posted: December 22 2020 at 22:42
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Heavy Horses and Songs from the Wood as well as A Passion Play are mindf****

Rise from your grave, and tie the game!

-------------

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: December 22 2020 at 22:51
tough choice

Voted JT but I love both bands 

Date Posted: December 23 2020 at 00:04
I actually prefer JT to Rush in general now, especially since finally diving more into JT's discography.

-------------

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: December 23 2020 at 00:56
Has to be...JT

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Date Posted: December 23 2020 at 06:57
Tull

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: December 23 2020 at 07:40
Rush

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: December 30 2020 at 17:45
Tull. I broke the tie.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Umeda
Date Posted: December 30 2020 at 18:00
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Tull. I broke the tie.

Not for long!

-------------
Not for rent. To any God or government.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: January 02 2021 at 10:29
Goodness, what a provocative poll. Add 'Play to J.T.'s collection and you got a winner.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: January 02 2021 at 10:30
Oh, yeah, you'd have to omit the hapless 'Horses.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Lieutenant_Lan
Date Posted: February 24 2021 at 20:43
Rush forever 

Posted By: Necrotica
Date Posted: February 24 2021 at 20:53
I really wish Passion Play was part of JT's top 6; that one never gets enough respect

-------------
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk