Print Page | Close Window

YES - Talk (1994)

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123677
Printed Date: May 05 2024 at 18:17
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: YES - Talk (1994)
Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Subject: YES - Talk (1994)
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 04:46
YES, it's TIME AND A WORD of well-deserved praise now for THE YES ALBUM that often gets overlooked. YES, it is of course the TALK album. The recording of this album was relatively trouble-free and was recorded, mixed and produced by YES guitarist Trevor Rabin at his home studio in Hollywood, California. The recording of TALK had none of the tensions and surrounding DRAMA of recording the legendary TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS album twenty years earlier, where FRAGILE egos were at stake and a MAGNIFICATION of simmering tempers were often CLOSE TO THE EDGE of boiling over. In the constant RELAYER race of YES line-ups, the personnel for the TALK album were:- Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin, Chris Squire, Tony Kaye & Alan White. The album was to have featured Rick Wakeman, but he was unable to appear due to "contractual obligations" and he appeared in a re-UNION with his YES bandmates on the following album, KEYS TO ASCENSION in 1996. The TALK album was generally treated like a squashed TORMATO by the music press, but it was well-received by YES fans and was a BIG GENERATOR of album sales, climbing THE LADDER of success to reach No. 20 in the U.K albums chart. The album may not have moved HEAVEN AND EARTH, but if you haven't heard the TALK album before, it may just OPEN YOUR EYES and ears to the sound of one of the best YES albums since the release of GOING FOR THE ONE in 1977 and 90125 in 1983.  The TALK album contains nine YESSONGS and I'll post the individual YouTube videos below before I FLY FROM HERE. Smile

All albums in BLOCK CAPITAL highlights by YES

Replies:
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 05:07
1. The Calling

2. I Am Waiting

3. Real Love

4. State of Play

5. Walls

6. Where Will You Be

7. Endless Dream

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 05:30
Love "Talk". One of my favourite post classic era Yes albums.

Generally underappreciated, as you say, and, for me, "Endless Dream" is one of their finest efforts.

Every self respecting Yes fan should own this album

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 05:30
YES - The Talk Tour - Live in Chile 1994

Posted By: Mirakaze
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 05:32
I really like the first movement (AKA the first two minutes) of the Endless Dream suite, the rest of the album is a sea of boredom Sleepy

Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 05:36
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Love "Talk". One of my favourite post classic era Yes albums.

Generally underappreciated, as you say, and, for me, "Endless Dream" is one of their finest efforts.

Every self respecting Yes fan should own this album

I heard the Talk album for the very first time today and I was very impressed with it too.  It's almost at the top of The Ladder when it comes to Yes albums, so it's a big thumbs-up from me. Thumbs Up

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 06:28
Been trying to get a vinyl copy of this for years. The heaviest Yes album IMO.

Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 06:37
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I always think of Big Generator as being the heaviest Yes album, but maybe that's just down to the album title. Smile

Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 06:40
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I always think of Big Generator as being the heaviest Yes album, but maybe that's just down to the album title. Smile
Well, the title cut has some balls for sure.

Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 06:40
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

I really like the first movement (AKA the first two minutes) of the Endless Dream suite, the rest of the album is a sea of boredom Sleepy
Oh well, C'est la Vie, as we say in England. I suppose a sea of boredom is better than a whole Topographic Ocean of boredom though. Smile

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 06:58
Strong 3 star album. Endless Dream is superb.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 04 2020 at 00:39
I like the music , I like the minimalistic artwork. 4 stars.

Point of trivia - this saw ELP and Yes returning to the same record label (Victory Music) after both had been 'stable mates' on Atlantic through the seventies.

ELP also released the very respectable Black Moon around the same time. You could make an argument for pairing these 2 albums up and both certainly helped galvanise the 90's prog revival.  

Date Posted: August 04 2020 at 01:34
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I like the music , I like the minimalistic artwork. 4 stars.

Point of trivia - this saw ELP and Yes returning to the same record label (Victory Music) after both had been 'stable mates' on Atlantic through the seventies.

ELP also released the very respectable Black Moon around the same time. You could make an argument for pairing these 2 albums up and both certainly helped galvanise the 90's prog revival.  

I haven't heard ELP's "Black Moon" album, but I doubt if I'd like as much as the Yes "Talk" album, which I instantly fell in love with the first time I heard the album yesterday. Smile

Date Posted: August 04 2020 at 02:38
^ Don’t ‘doubt’ until you’ve heard it Paul. It’s very good indeed.

Date Posted: August 04 2020 at 02:46

To be honest, I've never been a big fan of ELP. I bought the Love Beach album because I liked the cover, but I gave the album away because the music didn't live up to the promise of the album cover. Smile

Date Posted: August 04 2020 at 04:15
I'll have to revise my list of Top 7 Yes albums after hearing the superb Talk album. Smile

5 stars1. The Ladder
 5 stars2. Talk
 5 stars3. Going for the One
 5 stars4. Close to the Edge
 5 stars5. The Yes Album
 4 stars6. Fly from Here
 4 stars7. Magnification

Date Posted: August 04 2020 at 06:16

To be honest, I've never been a big fan of ELP. I bought the Love Beach album because I liked the cover, but I gave the album away because the music didn't live up to the promise of the album cover. Smile

Really ??

Date Posted: August 04 2020 at 06:33
^ No, not really, I was just jesting with you, but I DID buy the first ELP album and later gave it away.Smile

Date Posted: August 04 2020 at 06:51

^ No, not really, I was just jesting with you, but I DID buy the first ELP album and later gave it away.Smile
Understandable if you expected Saturday Night Fever done ELP-style........
I like the album enough to spin it a couple times a year (had it for more than 30 years...)

Date Posted: August 04 2020 at 06:54

I like the album enough to spin it a couple times a year (had it for more than 30 years...)

Yes, I thought ELP's Love Beach was a Bee Gees album when I first saw the album cover. Smile

Date Posted: August 04 2020 at 07:01

Yes, I thought ELP's Love Beach was a Bee Gees album when I first saw the album cover. Smile
So did they

Date Posted: August 04 2020 at 07:09
^ That's an interesting thought: ELP as the "Beach Gees" - a Bee Gees tribute band. Smile

Date Posted: August 04 2020 at 07:12

^ That's an interesting thought: ELP as the "Beach Gees" - a Bee Gees tribute band. Smile
I think Carl Palmer referred to the album photo as them looking like the Bee Gees !!

Date Posted: August 04 2020 at 07:19

I think Carl Palmer referred to the album photo as them looking like the Bee Gees !!

I'm not surprised, and it's good to hear Carl Palmer could see the funny side of the "Beach Gees" album cover. Smile

Posted By: Mirakaze
Date Posted: August 04 2020 at 10:54

Oh well, C'est la Vie, as we say in England. I suppose a sea of boredom is better than a whole Topographic Ocean of boredom though. Smile

Right you are, I promise I'll stop being such a sourpuss in your Yes threads from now on LOL

Date Posted: August 04 2020 at 11:19

Right you are, I promise I'll stop being such a sourpuss in your Yes threads from now on LOL
You're not a sourpuss. Life would soon get dull and boring here if we all liked the same albums. Smile

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: August 04 2020 at 11:54
Always liked Talk very much since it came out, and I am still listening to it regularly. In my ears much better than BG (less consistent) and on par with 90125 (although back in 1983 this was a bigger surprise than Talk in 1994). Maybe not in the top 7 of my preferred Yes-albums, but it's not far from it.

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Date Posted: August 04 2020 at 11:58
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Always liked Talk very much since it came out, and I am still listening to it regularly. In my ears much better than BG (less consistent) and on par with 90125 (although back in 1983 this was a bigger surprise than Talk in 1994). Maybe not in the top 7 of my preferred Yes-albums, but it's not far from it.
The more I listen to the Talk album, the more I like it. I initially gave it four stars but I've now upgraded it to a full five stars and second only to The Ladder in my Top 7 list of Yes albums. Smile

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 05 2020 at 11:50
I really like "I Am Waiting", the best song of the Rabin-era imo and the rest of the album is good. Not a five star album in any way compared to earlier ones but I'd probably place it in the 3.5 to 4 star bracket.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: August 05 2020 at 12:51
I love Endless Dream, easily my favourite song from the West line-up, and just as good as anything they did in their peak. However, I don't really care for the rest of the album... if I want some Rabin sounding Yes songs, then it's mostly Owner of a Lonely Heart and Hold on what I will be wanting to hear.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: August 05 2020 at 12:54

Still, if you can, give Black Moon a listen. It doesn't sound like your typical ELP... actually, if you only knew ELP for their classic albums, and heard this one without knowing it was them, you might not even notice. And if you like the way Talk was made, you might just as well like the other (actually, aside from Endless Dream, I think Black Moon is a better album, and I much prefer Yes over ELP).

Date Posted: August 05 2020 at 13:08
^ I have some good news on the ELP front - I found their first self-titled  album on CD in my local charity shop today for the bargain price of just £1, so I couldn't resist buying the album again, even though I gave it away to a charity shop several years ago. Smile

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 05 2020 at 13:38

^ I have some good news on the ELP front - I found their first self-titled  album on CD in my local charity shop today for the bargain price of just £1, so I couldn't resist buying the album again, even though I gave it away to a charity shop several years ago. Smile

Was it the same charity shop? Did you just buy back your own CD?

Date Posted: August 05 2020 at 13:50
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Was it the same charity shop? Did you just buy back your own CD?
It wasn't the same charity shop, but it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that I've bought back my own CD. I'm just hoping I'll enjoy listening to ELP's debut again more than I did the first time around. Smile

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: August 05 2020 at 15:04
^ even if you did buy back your old cd its all for a good cause, eh Paul Wink

Wasn't 'Talk' more of a Trevor Rabin project? I think he played lots of the instruments (Guitars, Keyboards and backing vocals, percussion) and the rest just added their parts? I seem to remember reading that it just happened that way out of circumstance rather than planning? Not sure, might be talking nonsense again..Embarrassed

I like Talk.. there are bits I love and it is a different animal to any of the other Yes albums ever made but somehow for me it occasionally lacks something.. a bit of spark? Not sure.. It kicks off with a great track and ends with a great track but just sags a little in the middle..

-------------

Date Posted: August 05 2020 at 16:11
^ Yes, the Talk album was recorded, mixed & produced by Trevor Rabin at his home studio in Los Angeles.

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: August 05 2020 at 17:21
'I am waiting' for 'the calling' of 'the endless dream'. Only 'real love' can tear down 'walls' and 'where will you be?' A 'state of play' to remember yet another day.

Not great. I'll rate it 2.75 stars. Paul, your enthusiasm gets 4.25.

Date Posted: August 05 2020 at 23:39
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

'I am waiting' for 'the calling' of 'the endless dream'. Only 'real love' can tear down 'walls' and 'where will you be?' A 'state of play' to remember yet another day.

Not great. I'll rate it 2.75 stars. Paul, your enthusiasm gets 4.25.

Thanks. I heard Talk from other Yes fans that Talk was a really good album, and I wasn't disappointed when I heard the album for the first time just a few days ago. Talk has now gained the Keys to Ascension into my Top 7 Yes albums list and it's Close to the Edge of being my favourite Yes album, just underneath The Ladder. Smile

Posted By: grantman
Date Posted: August 15 2020 at 16:32

every guitarist loves state of play with rabins intro .

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: August 15 2020 at 16:42
Underrated album. Very entertaining throughout. I still haven’t heard Union or Open Your Eyes, but I’m inclined to say that every Yes album is worth having.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: August 25 2020 at 13:43
YES - Talk "Active" interviews

Date Posted: April 06 2024 at 07:54
YES - Talk Tour - Chile 1994 (new Santiago TV broadcast version)

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: April 06 2024 at 09:01
 Love all three Rabin albums.  Yes is my all-time favorite band.  Imagine that...Wink

Date Posted: April 06 2024 at 12:06
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Love all three Rabin albums.  Yes is my all-time favorite band.  Imagine that...Wink

I can imagine that! YES are one of my all-time favourite bands too, but I wonder if anyone will ever say "I love all five Billy Sherwood albums." No, I already know the answer to that. Tongue

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk