Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need

Replies:
Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 10:51
Could you please define Dull and Enlightened.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: softandwet
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 11:02
I think Dull would mean dark, gloomy, the bands and artists categorized as dull would be more likely to produce songs on dark theme and use a range of notes considered creepy or sad.
Enlightened would mean light-sided, the bands and artists categorized as enlightened would be more likely to produce heart-sided songs on lightey themes and use a range of notes considered happy/nice.

-------------
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade

But we are entwined

And I know what you need

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 11:04
yeah, need to know the definition of the parameters. Does it mean Dull = downbeat/dark, enlightened = upbeat/happy

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 11:20
My prog compass is definitely in the yellow Soft & Enlightened box, as Genesis, Renaissance, Camel and Yes are all long-term favourites of mine. I don't know about Locanda delle Fate in the same box as I haven't heard of them before, but I'm sure I'd like them if I heard them. Smile

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 11:29
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

My prog compass is definitely in the yellow Soft & Enlightened box, as Genesis, Renaissance, Camel and Yes are all long-term favourites of mine. I don't know about Locanda delle Fate in the same box as I haven't heard of them before, but I'm sure I'd like them if I heard them. Smile

They're not English, you'd hate them.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 11:33
I strongly tend towards the yellow in this chart, with green and blue following. I fit into the red a fair bit as well. Can I say I am slightly off-center? Most people who know me would agree to that. Wink I do not think 'dull' is the right term for the category, though. "Morose" might be more in line with 'enlightened,' but it is not my chart. I am glad 'dull' has been explained the way it is - makes much more sense now. Good work and an interesting approach. Thumbs Up

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 11:38
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

They're not English, you'd hate them.
Their bandname Locanda delle Fate gave me an indication they may not be English. Smile

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 11:41
Yeah maybe "dark" instead of "dull," and "light" or "light-hearted" instead of "enlightened." Either way, I'm dead center baby. No surprise I share it with my man FRANK. I also think GG should be slightly more to the left. Otherwise, cool idea!

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 11:47
First thought, it's a Van der Graph Generator.

Second thought, no Amon Dull 2?

Third thought, where did you find this?

Fourth thought, I don't really know what to think other than this indicates that I'm a dull and unenlightened person (based on my preferences), and that may well be true but I don\t think it's true of the music.

Magma not falling under enlightened? To me the music is numinous and transcendent. Camel has often been called dull.

It shows terrible bias methinks and it needs more explanation. It looks silly to me.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 11:52
I'm all over the map.....a plethora of colors

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 11:56
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Fourth thought, I don't really know what to think other than this indicates that I'm a dull and unenlightened person (based on my preferences), and that may well be true but I don\t think it's true of the music.

Magma not falling under enlightened? To me the music is numinous and transcendent. Camel has often been called dull.

It shows terrible bias methinks and it needs more explanation. It looks silly to me.

Actually I did it myself! For some explanation, there, on this compass, are the bands that I particularly like, that's why you didn't see any Amon Dull II or, contrary wise, saw Locanda Delle Fate which is quite unknown you know.

-------------

But we are entwined

And I know what you need

Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 11:59
I'm glad y'all reacted to it, negatively or positively, now I encourage y'all to do the same thing for your own hearted bands and post it on this thread!

-------------

But we are entwined

And I know what you need

Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 12:03
I'm just relieved my prog compass didn't fall into the Dull & Hard category if my musical preferences are a reflection of my personality. I'd much rather be in the Soft & Enlightened category. Smile

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 12:21
where do bands like Gong, Hawkwind, Amon Düül II, Can or Embryo fit in your opinion?

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 13:51
Where does this fit in the compass?

Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 15:34
Originally posted by softandwet softandwet wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Actually I did it myself! For some explanation, there, on this compass, are the bands that I particularly like, that's why you didn't see any Amon Dull II or, contrary wise, saw Locanda Delle Fate which is quite unknown you know.

Glad you made it.

Even though I looked through the thread, I was being dim (dull and unenlightened) before. "Thick" would be another word, Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick and myself could fit if you included a "thick" transversal. ;) I get what you're saying, dull meaning lacking brightness, enlightened meaning exhibiting light (rather than "spiritually" aware or hyper-rational and informed), soft meaning pleasant and subtle, and hard meaning having a harder edge, angular, and rigid. The Amon Dull thing is a joke on the chart as is Van der Graph... It's Amon Düül II. I might have added that Soft Machine should be in "hard" for another little joke.

It's a good graph now that I grasp it. Magma, depending on the music could fit all four quadrants, but then so could others. It can be happy, sad, soft and hard. It's quite eclectic. Koenji Hyakkei definitely can be ebullient, so I'd put it more at the centre of dull and enlightened, maybe into the enlightened side although it can be dark. I don;t expect that you know Shub-Niggurath, but that would be a good for very dark, dull side, and it can be sharp which could put it under hard (hard edged often in its way and difficult hard).

It is a neat idea. Sorry, I should have understood it better. It didn't take the time to look carefully or read through the topic properly where you explained. A slow day for me. I might have a go at some time with some of my favourites, but those will mostly fall on the dull side and on both hard and soft (soft cause I like lots of pastoral music). I might do it based on particular tracks and go outside Prog. For instance, Nick Drake's "Fruit Tree and "River Man" would fit dull and soft (very melancholy music as is much of my favourite music). Zappa I would put more on the enlightened side since what I like of his is often so fun and jolly. "Peaches en Regalia" and "Imaginary Diseases" are my faves of his, and I find them exciting and fun. A joy to listen to.

-------------

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 15:50
I see how this works.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 15:53
So does Amon Duul II become Amon Dull II? ;)

Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 16:48
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

So does Amon Duul II become Amon Dull IIor;)

nope, most importantly because it is "Amon Düül II" with the umlaut "ü". it is a common mistake of native English speakers to think you can just leave out the dots above the umlauts "ä", "ö" and "ü", it won't make any difference. the best example is the difference between "ächten" (to ostracize) and "achten" (to respect). other examples for "ä" would be "währen" (to last) and "wahren" (to preserve) or "wägen" (to weigh) and "wagen" (to risk). examples for "ü" and "ö" are the differences between "lügen" (to lie, as in not telling the truth) and "lugen" (looking carefully out of a hiding place) or "spülen" (to rinse, to flush) and "spulen" (to reel) for "ü" or "lösen" (to solve) and "losen" (to draw lots) or "schön" (beautiful) and "schon" (already) for "ö"

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 16:51
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

nope, most importantly because it is "Amon Düül II" with the umlaut "ü". it is a common mistake of native English speakers to think you can just leave out the dots above the umlauts "ä", "ö" and "ü", it won't make any difference. the best example is the difference between "ächten" (to ostracize) and "achten" (to respect). another example would be "währen" (to last) and "wahren" (to preserve). examples for "ü" and "ö" are the differences between "lügen" (to lie, as in not telling the truth) and "lugen" (looking carefully out of a safe place) or "spülen" (to rinse, to flush) and "spulen" (to reel) for "ü" or "lösen" (to solve) and "losen" (to draw lots) or "schön" (beautiful) and "schon" (already) for "ö"

It's not so much that I intentionally left them out as it is that I'm just plain lazy. Tongue I didn't feel like looking them up. It's the same with Anglagard. I have searched online for umlauts before but I figure only a few nitpicky folks would make a big deal about it. Wink Typically it's more trouble than what it's worth. Thanks for the lesson regardless though. It's always good to learn new things. Smile 

Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 17:23

nope, most importantly because it is "Amon Düül II" with the umlaut "ü". it is a common mistake of native English speakers to think you can just leave out the dots above the umlauts "ä", "ö" and "ü", it won't make any difference. the best example is the difference between "ächten" (to ostracize) and "achten" (to respect). another example would be "währen" (to last) and "wahren" (to preserve). examples for "ü" and "ö" are the differences between "lügen" (to lie, as in not telling the truth) and "lugen" (looking carefully out of a safe place) or "spülen" (to rinse, to flush) and "spulen" (to reel) for "ü" or "lösen" (to solve) and "losen" (to draw lots) or "schön" (beautiful) and "schon" (already) for "ö"

It's not so much that I intentionally left them out as it is that I'm just plain lazy. Tongue I didn't feel like looking them up. It's the same with Anglagard. I have searched online for umlauts before but I figure only a few nitpicky folks would make a big deal about it. Wink Typically it's more trouble than what it's worth. Thanks for the lesson regardless though. It's always good to learn new things. Smile

for future use:
  1. ä : Alt + 0228.
  2. ö : Alt + 0246.
  3. ü : Alt + 0252.
  4. Ä : Alt + 0196.
  5. Ö : Alt + 0214.
  6. Ü : Alt + 0220.

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 18:36
^Thank you very much Baldjean. Hopefully I can use them next time I mention a certain Swedish prog band from the 90's also. ;)

Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 18:48
^Nope. I just tried it and it didn't work. So if next time I have to mention one of these bands that requires an umlaut(I will just say umlauts acknowledged). Plus I'll just say AD2 and you'll know who I mean. If I am able to figure it out and it works on here then I will do so but if I'm not then please try not to get too angry about it. It's not meant to be disrespectful to you or the band or the language. ;) I will try again though.

Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 18:50
^Ok, I think the problem was I wasn't using the number pad that is to the right of the main keyboard. ;)

Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 18:53
yep, you have to use the numeric keypad for the numbers

-------------

Posted By: Spacegod87
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 19:02
My tastes are definitely all over the board. I don't have any preference for any one section.

-------------
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 19:19
I love the responses to this--as well as the premise behind it's inception! 

I definitely gravitate to center and away from the Green and away from the extreme eccentrics.

I think my quadrants would be titled something like:  "melodic," "dissonant" or "angular," "straightforward" or "simple,"  and "dark" or "challenging."

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 20:59
I think I understand hard and soft as references but dull and enlightened  don't really work as reference points for me....and many of the bands placements are wrong imho based on your categories.

KC dull...? Soft Machine hard...?
Confused

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 21:34
softandwet is French, and this is probably a translation from the french "mat" (or "mate", depending on gender of the noun it is used with), which can mean "dull" as well as "dark". I guess that from the counterpart "enlightened", which is probably translated from "éclairé" (or "éclairée", again depending on gender of the noun it is used with)

-------------

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 22:47

for future use:

Different for Mac users by the way. Or if there's no number pad. I know them because I'm a pedantic tool hehe. I appreciated the vocab tidbits. I've been interested in learning German.

Date Posted: August 04 2020 at 00:07
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

for future use:

Different for Mac users by the way. Or if there's no number pad. I know them because I'm a pedantic tool hehe. I appreciated the vocab tidbits. I've been interested in learning German.

on a mac, you simply hold the "option" (or "alt") key down while pressing the letter "u". you must hold the "option" key, not just press it once. then release and press the letter you want the umlaut over ("a", "o" or "u"). a total of two keystrokes: "option-u", then "a" = "ä" (or then "o" = "ö" or "u" = "ü" respectively)

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 04 2020 at 00:13
You could put ELP in any of the categories . BSS was as 'dark' as anything out there in 1973. They could be a very soft band ie Take a Pebble and also 'enlightened' Trilogy. It just makes me realise we have an oppressive need to label music when it's not necessary!

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: August 07 2020 at 08:53

One of the few Italian bands that took their cue from Yes rather than say Jethro Tull, Genesis or VDGG.

In other words, they're AWESOME!!!

-------------
The Prog Corner

Date Posted: August 07 2020 at 09:01
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

One of the few Italian bands that took their cue from Yes rather than say Jethro Tull, Genesis or VDGG.

Do you have any examples other than Locanda Delle Fate?

-------------

But we are entwined

And I know what you need

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: August 07 2020 at 09:10
^ Cherry Five is the Italian band that comes to mind when I think of Yes.

Date Posted: August 07 2020 at 09:13
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Cherry Five is the Italian band that comes to mind when I think of Yes.

Same.

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 07 2020 at 13:21

where do bands like Gong, Hawkwind, Amon Düül II, Can or Embryo fit in your opinion?

In another dimension? Wink

-------------

Date Posted: August 07 2020 at 13:24
Originally posted by softandwet softandwet wrote:

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Do you have any examples other than Locanda Delle Fate?
Yes, England sound very much like Yes too. Smile

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: August 07 2020 at 14:00
Looks nice, but I hope you will put some Kraut also there (for example Faust, Can, Amon Düül II & Agitation Free).

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: August 07 2020 at 14:01
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I'm all over the map.....a plethora of colors
me too tendentially toward the margins of the four boxes. I'm an extremist

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Jaketejas
Date Posted: August 07 2020 at 14:04
This is along the lines of a new classification scheme that I was pondering over, although the one I was contemplating had nodes (using network software), which is perhaps more tree-like. It is interesting how different people have different ways of interpreting and classifying music. I like your idea, though. Some people might interpret "dull" in a negative way (like to mean boring). But, describing sound with words is not always easy. And, with a compass, you want to use words that give opposing senses at the poles. Interesting idea, indeed!

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: August 07 2020 at 14:17

it is a common mistake of native English speakers to think you can just leave out the dots above the umlauts "ä", "ö" and "ü", it won't make any difference. the best example is the difference between "ächten" (to ostracize) and "achten" (to respect). other examples for "ä" would be "währen" (to last) and "wahren" (to preserve) or "wägen" (to weigh) and "wagen" (to risk). examples for "ü" and "ö" are the differences between "lügen" (to lie, as in not telling the truth) and "lugen" (looking carefully out of a hiding place) or "spülen" (to rinse, to flush) and "spulen" (to reel) for "ü" or "lösen" (to solve) and "losen" (to draw lots) or "schön" (beautiful) and "schon" (already) for "ö"

Even in English, one has words that have identical spelling, but differ in pronunciation and meaning. For example, "lead" pronounced rhyming with "feed" and meaning "to walk, drive, fly, sail, etc. in front of a group of people, vehicles, planes, ships, etc.", or "lead" pronounced rhyming with "fed" and meaning "a soft heavy grey metal used especially in the past for making pipes, covering roofs, and in paint".

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: August 07 2020 at 15:57
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

it is a common mistake of native English speakers to think you can just leave out the dots above the umlauts "ä", "ö" and "ü", it won't make any difference. the best example is the difference between "ächten" (to ostracize) and "achten" (to respect). other examples for "ä" would be "währen" (to last) and "wahren" (to preserve) or "wägen" (to weigh) and "wagen" (to risk). examples for "ü" and "ö" are the differences between "lügen" (to lie, as in not telling the truth) and "lugen" (looking carefully out of a hiding place) or "spülen" (to rinse, to flush) and "spulen" (to reel) for "ü" or "lösen" (to solve) and "losen" (to draw lots) or "schön" (beautiful) and "schon" (already) for "ö"
Even in English, one has words that have identical spelling, but differ in pronunciation and meaning. For example, "lead" pronounced rhyming with "feed" and meaning "to walk, drive, fly, sail, etc. in front of a group of people, vehicles, planes, ships, etc.", or "lead" pronounced rhyming with "fed" and meaning "a soft heavy grey metal used especially in the past for making pipes, covering roofs, and in paint".

English much more than German. Just think of the seven ways the letter combination "ough" can be pronounced: "oh" as in "though", "ow" as in "bough", "oo" as in "through", "aw" as in "thought", "ah-ff" as in "cough", "uh-ff" as in "enough" and "uh-pp" as in "hiccough".

When you see a German word it is pretty clear how to pronounce it once you know the rules of German pronunciation, unless it is a loanword from some other language like for example "beige", which is a loanword from French in German as well as in English. But not if you leave out the dots above the umlauts.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk