Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123758
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 19:47
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 90125 vs Three of a Perfect Pair
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: 90125 vs Three of a Perfect Pair
Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 16:13
Which of these 80's albums do you prefer? If your answer is neither then don't vote but comment in here instead and say which other album from that era you prefer. Wink

Replies:
Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 16:17
Yes, I'm voting for 90125, and together with Talk & The Ladder, they're three of a perfect pair for me. Smile

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 16:19
Three for sure. One of Crimsons best apart from Sleepless. Smelly 80s drums on that track

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 16:20
Yes - 90125

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 16:24
KC, no question. Aside from Man With An Open Heart & Model Man the album is top notch. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 16:30
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

KC, no question. Aside from Man With An Open Heart & Model Man the album is top notch. 

It's funny you say that because those might be my two favorite songs from the album. LOL

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 17:26
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

It's funny you say that because those might be my two favorite songs from the album. LOL

You might have done this as "“Man with an Open Heart" vs. "Owner of a Lonely Heart".

I think I did that poll years ago with some other heart options. In that case I do prefer the song from 90125, but on the whole I prefer Three of a Perfect Pair. I think my least liked song on 90125 is this (it does have bit of Crimson vibe in part that I quite like but also a kind of AOR that does not appeal):

Neither album is much my bag, but I'm going with KC on this.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Steve Wyzard
Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 17:27
Having owned it since February 11, 1984, I can still unequivocally state that 90125 remains my very favorite rock album of all-time!

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 17:33
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Having owned it since February 11, 1984, I can still unequivocally state that 90125 remains my very favorite rock album of all-time!

1984 is apt, because it might seem like you live in a dystopian world with that as your favourite. One might say of the album, "With its grace and carelessness it seemed to annihilate a whole [music] culture" (George Orwell's 1984)...

Just playing around, by the way.

I haven't listened to the album in full since the 80s. At the time I was a major fan of Fragile.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 18:20
Only heard 90125, so that gets the nod. 

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 18:40
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

You might have done this as "“Man with an Open Heart" vs. "Owner of a Lonely Heart".

I think I did that poll years ago with some other heart options. In that case I do prefer the song from 90125, but on the whole I prefer Three of a Perfect Pair. I think my least liked song on 90125 is this (it does have bit of Crimson vibe in part that I quite like but also a kind of AOR that does not appeal):

Neither album is much my bag, but I'm going with KC on this.

Wow, I never thought of that. Maybe that will be a future poll. Thanks for the idea. ;)

Anyway, the thing for me is that 90125 has no weak tracks on it. TOAPP has "nuages" and "industry." Everything is else is very good. If it wasn't for those two it would be a lot closer imo. I'm also not that crazy about dig me but I do like the chorus of that song at least. I have to admit LTIA pt. 3 is pretty cool though.

Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 18:44
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Only heard 90125, so that gets the nod. 

This poll is for those who have heard both. I didn't think I would have to add a "only familiar with one album" option but in the future on one of my polls please don't vote if you don't know both albums. Or at least listen to the one you are not familiar with on youtube first before deciding. Wink

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 19:17
90125 is the clear choice for me, the KC album is shy of 'perfect'.

-------------

Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 19:26
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Yep, the question isn't which one is more prog it's which one do you prefer? I would like to start over since one person on here technically cheated but there doesn't seem to be a way to delete the poll at this point so I'll keep it. However, if 90125 has one more vote or is tied just keep in mind someone on here didn't hear the other one so technically it's a tie if 90125 is up by one. Wink

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 19:38
I haven't actually heard three of a perfect pair, except for having heard several songs in their live versions. Even though I do like many of them, and that 90125 isn't nearly among my favourite Yes albums, I still think Yes would take my vote here... even though I'm not actually voting for either.

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 19:49
Discipline and Beat would beat 90125.

Three of a Perfect Pair and 90125 are about equal to me. 

Third option then. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 19:51
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I haven't actually heard three of a perfect pair, except for having heard several songs in their live versions. Even though I do like many of them, and that 90125 isn't nearly among my favourite Yes albums, I still think Yes would take my vote here... even though I'm not actually voting for either.

Thank you for respecting that and not voting for one over the other. 

Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 19:52

Yep, the question isn't which one is more prog it's which one do you prefer? I would like to start over since one person on here technically cheated but there doesn't seem to be a way to delete the poll at this point so I'll keep it. However, if 90125 has one more vote or is tied just keep in mind someone on here didn't hear the other one so technically it's a tie if 90125 is up by one. Wink

Shall I vote ToaPP to calibrate then? Shocked

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 19:56
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Yes but only if you don't actually feel that TOOPP is better than 90125. I know it sounds weird but it would balance things out and we can call it even if you do. ;)

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 19:57
If I never hear Owner of a Lonely Heart again it doesn't matter to me. On the other hand I can always get something out of KC.

Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 20:04

Yes but only if you don't actually feel that TOOPP is better than 90125. I know it sounds weird but it would balance things out and we can call it even if you do. ;)

Both are straight up 7/10ers for me.

Went and did it, so there ya go. All is right with the world.

Or is it? LOL

-------------

Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 20:12

Both are straight up 7/10ers for me.

Went and did it, so there ya go. All is right with the world.

Or is it? LOL

I like both albums quite a bit. KC's is more interesting and more prog but it also took me a very long time to warm up to where as 90125 didn't.  

Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 20:15
^ Similar situation with me. There was a time Yes would've won this comfortably. 

-------------

Posted By: Jaketejas
Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 20:34
I own both of these albums. I’m a big Adrian Belew fan (especially his solo work). Robert Fripp and Bill Bruford too, the latter who has been in so many of my favorite bands (Yes, UK, and KC, among others). I also absolutely love Fripp’s stuff with Andy Summers. But, of that rendition of KC, which was a great one, Three of a Perfect Pair is excellent, but not their absolute best. For me, Discipline is the best one. Beat is also a better album.

On the other hand, I love Trevor Rabin’s music from this time period, and 90125 is among my top ten favorite albums of all time. He batted that one out of the park. On top of that, his solo album Can’t Look Away from around the same time period is super, too. He had this highly imaginative burst of creative energy.

Since we are voting on album, I would have to say that Rabin comes out on top.

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: August 10 2020 at 22:25
MY SKIN

IS METALLIC NOW

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 01:32
Actually...

...Both on this one.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 01:34
90125. I like every track, but half of TOAPP bores me.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 03:04
90125 - 2.5*
TOAPP - 2*

Two albums which did not survive the "moving to a smaller house and need to get rid of all the c**p in my massive vinyl collection" moment about 15 years ago.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 06:03
I prefer King Crimson of these two.

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 06:21
Both equally

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 06:30
King Crimson for sure. The songs are more exciting to my ears.

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 06:49
Yes by far. ToaPP was the weakest of the 80's KC. The band was falling apart when they made this and you can hear it in the lackluster performances. Industry is awful. Sleepless, Man With an Open Heart, Nuages. All not good. Only the first and last track were good.

All tracks on 90125 were good.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 07:43
Three is cool prog---90125 is not. It's stadium power pop. 

So KC.

Posted By: TerLJack
Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 08:11
3 is the least of the primary colors trilogy.
90125 was fresh when it came out, but not as prog as before.
Both slightly disappointing at the time.  90125 a little less.

90125 gets my vote.

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 08:21
Don't mind what label we stick on either album, I like them both. But to me 90125 is more consistent high quality.

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 09:08
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

So KC.

Again, the question isn't what album is more prog but which you prefer. It sounds like you prefer it just because it's prog and the other one isn't.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 09:09
KC

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 13:38
'Pair makes the other look like a children's album.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 15:56
Three is crimsons second best album behind Poseidon. Even with smelly Sleepless

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: questionsneverknown
Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 16:08
Three of a Perfect Pair by quite some distance for me.
Between the two, back in the day I loved 3 more than 90210 [Wink], and I think 3 survives the era a bit better as well.

It's funny to me that some focus on Perfect Pair's pop quality given how far out everything from Nuages on is. Honestly it's one of the stranger and more experimental albums of the period. I'd risk saying that you'd have to go to the farther edges of the 80s industrial and Goth scenes to find equivalent experimentation at that time.

-------------
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock

Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 16:12
Originally posted by questionsneverknown questionsneverknown wrote:

Between the two, back in the day I loved 3 more than 90210 [Wink], and I think 3 survives the era a bit better as well.

It's funny to me that some focus on Perfect Pair's pop quality given how far out everything from Nuages on is. Honestly it's one of the stranger and more experimental albums of the period. I'd risk saying that you'd have to go to the farther edges of the 80s industrial and Goth scenes to find equivalent experimentation at that time.

I'm not so sure about that. Have you ever heard Birdsongs of the Mesozoic or Djam Karet? Univers Zero were around in the 80's too. I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure there was a lot of experimental prog going on then.

Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 16:19

I'm not so sure about that. Have you ever heard Birdsongs of the Mesozoic or Djam Karet? Univers Zero were around in the 80's too. I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure there was a lot of experimental prog going on then.

Ha! Yes, I'm sure I'm overstating things!
But, yes, I do know Birdsongs and UZ and oodles of other cool bands from that time. And just prior to all that there'd been stuff like This Heat. 
I think what I was trying to get at is that Three is far from the pop album others seem to be making it out to be, and I recall vividly at the time, when it came out, as a mere teenager, I found the 'out there' quality of Side Two quite staggering.

-------------

--Robyn Hitchcock

Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 16:27

But, yes, I do know Birdsongs and UZ and oodles of other cool bands from that time. And just prior to all that there'd been stuff like This Heat. 
I think what I was trying to get at is that Three is far from the pop album others seem to be making it out to be, and I recall vividly at the time, when it came out, as a mere teenager, I found the 'out there' quality of Side Two quite staggering.

Don't forget DK.;) Yeah, I was a teenager in that decade also but for most of it I was only aware of Yes, Genesis, ELP, Rush and King Crimson. I didn't discover more obscure stuff until the late 80's(and even then only a little)but mostly 90's and later. Yeah, side two was more "out there" although I remember nuages being the last track on side one on my cassette tape. I was never really a big fan of it but I might feel differently now. 

Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 17:31
Well ... I knew that folks here on PA would never allow such a poor showing for KC (not the Sunshine Band by the way) and so they finally ... after many many votes ... rounded up their proggy forces for a real squeaker. But, you've gotta hand it to him. Trevor Ray-Bans hung in there pretty well against the likes of Fripp, Belew, and Bruford. Hee hee!

(and if you take away the 5 or so people who didn't read the rules and voted based on progginess alone, a clear disqualification, Rabin still wins the day!)

Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 18:12
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

Well ... I knew that folks here on PA would never allow such a poor showing for KC (not the Sunshine Band by the way) and so they finally ... after many many votes ... rounded up their proggy forces for a real squeaker. But, you've gotta hand it to him. Trevor Ray-Bans hung in there pretty well against the likes of Fripp, Belew, and Bruford. Hee hee!

(and if you take away the 5 or so people who didn't read the rules and voted based on progginess alone, a clear disqualification, Rabin still wins the day!)

No, what annoys me the most is when people vote when only knowing one album.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 18:48

So KC.

Again, the question isn't what album is more prog but which you prefer. It sounds like you prefer it just because it's prog and the other one isn't.

no Three has more prog credibility but there are a few proggy songs on 90125---but that album sounds dated and the other doesnt--so I prefer Three now---

Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 20:13
Dated back to the awesome 80s!   Nothing wrong with that.     90125 is even better than 90124!

(The MTV video for Owner ... was pretty bad, though not as bad as Journey’s Separate Ways. I preferred all the fence jumping in Saga’s On the Loose and the Indiana Jones video of Don’t Cry by Asia).

Posted By: countdm
Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 21:09
definitely ToaPP

Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 21:19

So KC.

no Three has more prog credibility but there are a few proggy songs on 90125---but that album sounds dated and the other doesnt--so I prefer Three now---

To be honest I think they both sound dated but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying them. I think some of the synths and electronic drums on three sound dated. As for 90125 I guess just the all around production is a bit dated and maybe some of the keyboards. Two different albums regardless. I'll admit 90125 is more poppy. 

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 12 2020 at 03:07
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Levin is insane on Sleepless. It sure is commercial, but is such a dramatic song I can’t help but love it. It’s Man with an Open Heart (surgery ha ha) that is the worst song ever by Crimso IMO.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: August 12 2020 at 09:24
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Levin is insane on Sleepless. It sure is commercial, but is such a dramatic song I can’t help but love it. It’s Man with an Open Heart (surgery ha ha) that is the worst song ever by Crimso IMO.

I don't know about that: it's got plenty of competition.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: judahbenkenobi
Date Posted: August 12 2020 at 10:43
90125 for me.

Am I the only person in the world who loves "Changes"? It's my favorite track in that album. And the cover that Enchant did of that song was equally good

Date Posted: August 12 2020 at 10:50
Originally posted by <div><br></div><div>Ha! Yes, I'm sure I'm overstating things!</div><div>But, yes, I do know Birdsongs and UZ and oodles of other cool bands from that time. And just prior to all that there'd been stuff like This Heat. </div><div>I think what I was trying to get at is that Three is far from the pop album others seem to be making it out to be, and I recall vividly at the time, when it came out, as a mere teenager, I found the 'out there' quality of Side Two quite staggering.</div>[/QUOTE

[/QUOTE wrote:

Don't forget DK.;) Yeah, I was a teenager in that decade also but for most of it I was only aware of Yes, Genesis, ELP, Rush and King Crimson. I didn't discover more obscure stuff until the late 80's(and even then only a little)but mostly 90's and later. Yeah, side two was more "out there" although I remember nuages being the last track on side one on my cassette tape. I was never really a big fan of it but I might feel differently now. 

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up on DK (well, the Djam one; I'm far more au fait with the one with Jello!)--but Djam is a blank spot for me. Know the name, but haven't listened to them. Will do so.

And, correct, Nuages finished Side One of ToaPP; the transition to the largely instrumental Side Two. It's a good song.

-------------

--Robyn Hitchcock

Date Posted: August 12 2020 at 10:57

Originally posted by <div><br></div><div>Ha! Yes, I'm sure I'm overstating things!</div><div>But, yes, I do know Birdsongs and UZ and oodles of other cool bands from that time. And just prior to all that there'd been stuff like This Heat. </div><div>I think what I was trying to get at is that Three is far from the pop album others seem to be making it out to be, and I recall vividly at the time, when it came out, as a mere teenager, I found the 'out there' quality of Side Two quite staggering.</div></td></tr></table>
<div><br></div><div>Don't forget DK.;) Yeah, I was a teenager in that decade also but for most of it I was only aware of Yes, Genesis, ELP, Rush and King Crimson. I didn't discover more obscure stuff until the late 80's(and even then only a little)but mostly 90's and later. Yeah, side two was more out there although I remember nuages being the last track on side one on my cassette tape. I was never really a big fan of it but I might feel differently now. </div>[/QUOTE

Don't forget DK.;) Yeah, I was a teenager in that decade also but for most of it I was only aware of Yes, Genesis, ELP, Rush and King Crimson. I didn't discover more obscure stuff until the late 80's(and even then only a little)but mostly 90's and later. Yeah, side two was more out there although I remember nuages being the last track on side one on my cassette tape. I was never really a big fan of it but I might feel differently now. 
[/QUOTE wrote:

Thanks for the heads up on DK (well, the Djam one; I'm far more au fait with the one with Jello!)--but Djam is a blank spot for me. Know the name, but haven't listened to them. Will do so.

And, correct, Nuages finished Side One of ToaPP; the transition to the largely instrumental Side Two. It's a good song.

[/QUOTE]

For Djam Karet I say listen to the devouring first. Burning the hard city and reflections from the firepool are supposed to be very good too but I haven't heard them yet.

Date Posted: August 12 2020 at 14:36
I recently discovered DK on Pandora. Interesting stuff! From what I’ve heard, I like the improvisational style of the guitar. It’s weird how you’ve never heard of a band before (and that is an old band) and then all of a sudden their name starts popping up everywhere. I’m thinking ... why now?

It is possible that this poll might come down to penalty kicks!   

Date Posted: August 12 2020 at 15:46
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

I recently discovered DK on Pandora. Interesting stuff! From what I’ve heard, I like the improvisational style of the guitar. It’s weird how you’ve never heard of a band before (and that is an old band) and then all of a sudden their name starts popping up everywhere. I’m thinking ... why now?

It is possible that this poll might come down to penalty kicks!   

There's what I call the Bermuda triangle of prog. Bands more than say 5 years old sometimes fall in it. I believe Mastermind is in it too. LOL 

Date Posted: August 12 2020 at 22:10
Bermuda Triangle of Prog.   That’s great!   

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 05:28

Funny old world. My least favourites, sorry Adrian...

Can't really decide between the albums though...

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 07:58
Industry is a master statement. Sleepless is one of the best and most powerful commercial songs ever; actually I became addicted to it at the time and it is one of my most listened to songs of all time, if not even number one in that respect (although I'm fine with Owner as well). The rest from 3oPP isn't bad either.
90125 is hit and miss. 3oPP by a country mile.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: August 06 2022 at 11:20
King Crimson - Three of a Perfect Pair

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Argentinfonico
Date Posted: August 06 2022 at 14:30
Both equally because of their range. I'd rather hear something else.

-------------
-Will I see you tonight?
-I never make plans that far ahead.

Casablanca (1942)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk