Print Page | Close Window

Gentle Giant-like band?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123975
Printed Date: May 02 2024 at 14:26
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Gentle Giant-like band?
Posted By: softandwet
Subject: Gentle Giant-like band?
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 02:50
I know Echolyn and their GG's influences well but I'd like to know more bands inspired by them, dot you knwo some?

-------------
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need

Replies:
Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 02:53
Originally posted by softandwet softandwet wrote:

I know Echolyn and their GG's influences well but I'd like to know more bands inspired by them, dot you knwo some?

Quebecois band Et Cetera. They only had one album released in 76 and it's a killer. Very GG.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 02:53
GG not (good) enough for you, you need imitators? 

They even influenced Spock's Beard. Even Haken who were (jokingly) nick-named Djentle Djiant. LOL

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 05:14
Spock’s beard have been the closest I’ve heard. And do a fantastic job of it too.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 05:22
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Even Haken who were (jokingly) nick-named Djentle Djiant. LOL

The fact that my brain never came up with this is unsettling to me, lmao LOL.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 07:01

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 09:02
New Jersey band ADVENT did two credible albums in the 21st Century, 2006's Cantus Firmus and 2015's The Silent Sentinel. Not quite as complex or compact as GG, but definitely in that ballpark.

(I don't think these uploads will work, so just search for yourself on YouTube. All songs of both albums are available there.)

Also, MOON SAFARI's Blomljud contains a lot of "GG-Lite"-like music--especially the vocals.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: stewe
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 11:58
Yezda Urfa is often like Gentle Giant on steroids (with Yes-like voice and atmosphere). Agreed with SB and especially Echolyn.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/trevorrabin/?chartstyle=basic10" rel="nofollow">

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"

Posted By: Woon Deadn
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 12:00
Et Cetera and Yezda Urfa are the closest ones among their contemporaries, it seems. Sure, early Yes and King Crimson and perhaps VdGG sometimes played a few notes/chords/patterns/melodies in the GG style. I remember once listening to Tarkus I've noticed a few seconds of music from Octopus (the latter was recorded later, so it's rather the other way round). 

In 1979 the Soviet folk rock band Pesniary created this song, obviously influenced by Gentle Giant. But it was one song. It was not their usual style. 

-------------
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 14:52
Ripaille

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 23:39
Epidermis

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: September 07 2020 at 02:16
For GG-worship in its purest form, including a couple of covers, the first stop is Oaksenham's Conquest of the Pacific:

There are lots of other influences in there too (feel the Kansas!) but GG is the dominant one. A very good, classy production but highly derivative.

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Date Posted: September 07 2020 at 03:50
I don't really agree about Spock's Beard. Yes, Thoughts I and II are GG-like. But I don't hear GG elements in their music as prevalent as Genesis, Yes, or even Rush elements. Same with Haken. A few spots here and there.

Yezda Urfa, on the other hand, IS kind of like GG on crack. Some Yes-isms, but mostly in sound rather than composition. The bassist has that Squire tone, and the singer reminds me or Trevor Horn. It kind of sounds like if Drama-era Yes got even better at playing and decided to listen to every GG album and go write a bunch of wacked out tunes.

The newer group Bubblemath reminds me of Yezda Urfa, and, by extension GG (with some Zappa thrown in).

Posted By: Neu!mann
Date Posted: September 07 2020 at 08:38
I seem to remember this topic coming up before... Check out the Swedish band Ritual, and in particular their latest album The Hemulic Voluntary Band.

-------------
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini

Date Posted: September 07 2020 at 09:23
I'll second Advent. For me personally they sound too much like GG. Still a good band though and I have met some of the members. 

Ritual I like a lot and are a bit underrated these days. However, I don't remember hearing much GG in their music. I used to think parts sounded like a cross between the Flower Kings and Comus. :P They also remind me of Moon Safari at times.

Posted By: questionsneverknown
Date Posted: September 07 2020 at 11:37
I hear a Gentle Giant influence on a number of the great 1970s Quebecois groups--Sloche, Maneige and Maelstrom especially

-------------
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock

Posted By: martinprog77
Date Posted: September 10 2020 at 02:25
ECHOLYN

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Posted By: stewe
Date Posted: September 10 2020 at 02:32
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

I seem to remember this topic coming up before... Check out the Swedish band Ritual, and in particular their latest album The Hemulic Voluntary Band.

Absolutely amazing band, forgot to mention them. Their singer/guitarist has been also singing with new version of Kaipa. Besides Hemulic Voluntary Band, I highly recommend debut and Think Like a Mountain. Gentle Giant meets folkish side of Led Zeppelin meets melodic side of Yes, with a great dose of humor. Although it has been 12 years since last album, they have been composing material for a new album, hopefully it will see a light of the world one day.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/trevorrabin/?chartstyle=basic10" rel="nofollow">

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"

Posted By: Boboulo
Date Posted: September 11 2020 at 10:02
Pingvinorkestern - "Agenten" (2010)

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: September 11 2020 at 10:10
What about Happy the Man to my ears they incorporate some Gentle Giant elements, ala School Boys (Three Friends album, and earlier albums, the Shulman borthers era)

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2020 at 10:13
Originally posted by martinprog77 martinprog77 wrote:

ECHOLYN

Nah, only a bit on as the world but that's about it.

Posted By: Gully Foyle
Date Posted: September 11 2020 at 10:18
A second on the Et Cetera album - a killer record for sure, one of the great unknowns

Date Posted: September 11 2020 at 10:20
Originally posted by Gully Foyle Gully Foyle wrote:

A second on the Et Cetera album - a killer record for sure, one of the great unknowns

It's probably not any more unknown than all the other unknown albums which makes up about 98 percent of prog.

Date Posted: September 11 2020 at 10:31
Anakdota - "The Girl Next Door" (2013)

Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Date Posted: September 12 2020 at 01:23
FSB are a Bulgarian band whose debut album (released in '77 or thereabouts) was entirely instrumental and consisted of one half original compositions and one half Gentle Giant covers (I know, strange). But it's interesting to hear if you like GG!

Posted By: softandwet
Date Posted: September 13 2020 at 03:54
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

ECHOLYN

They made several references to them in each of their albums, especially in Mei and Suffocate The Bloom.
In Mei, we can hear : "Out here there could be giants
I want to walk in their shade"

-------------
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need

Posted By: projeKct
Date Posted: September 13 2020 at 06:24
There is also RTFACT, with only one album (2017) :
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=11291" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=11291
https://rtfact.bandcamp.com/album/life-is-good" rel="nofollow - https://rtfact.bandcamp.com/album/life-is-good

Posted By: Blaqua
Date Posted: September 14 2020 at 12:27

I just listened to two tracks by ET CETERA, band suggested here and I concur. Even the singing sounds GG. It is as if the nostalgic GG Pantagruel decided to return home.

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: September 14 2020 at 13:46
I was reminded of Terreno Baldio this morning, considered by many the Brazilian Gentle Giant, and their first album is really great.

Date Posted: September 14 2020 at 14:11

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

ECHOLYN

They made several references to them in each of their albums, especially in Mei and Suffocate The Bloom.
In Mei, we can hear : "Out here there could be giants
I want to walk in their shade"

Maybe but I was referring to musically not lyrically. 

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: September 14 2020 at 20:56
There was a band called Land of Chocolate, whose leader is Jonn Buzby, brother of Christopher Buzby of Echolyn.  They released two albums in the earlier 2000's and sound quite a bit like Echolyn.  The reviews on their albums mention Gentle Giant as a reference also, so you might enjoy them.

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: September 14 2020 at 20:58
I'm by no means an expert on Gentle Giant, but the vocal style on this new song from Nick D'Virgilio reminds me of a Gentle Giant style. Admittedly, it might just be me, but give it a listen and see what you think.

-------------

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: September 15 2020 at 11:19

The Tea Club

Date Posted: September 15 2020 at 12:08
Advent - "In The Tree" (1997)

Date Posted: September 16 2020 at 00:14
The main riff from this one always reminded me a bit of The Boys in The Band/Knots/Cogs in Cogs, etc.:

-------------

Posted By: Steve Wyzard
Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:57
SAGA has consistently given credit to Gentle Giant as being one of their major influences, although this can only be heard in bits and pieces on their first four albums.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 12:52
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/terramystic/gentle_giant_and_influenced_artists/" rel="nofollow - http://rateyourmusic.com/list/terramystic/gentle_giant_and_influenced_artists/
Bumped into this yesterday...personally I have only heard a handful of those bands.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 12:56
Hi,

My ears must be getting old ... I listened to all the bits posted and the only one that came close to me to "sounding" like GG, is ADVENT ... and in many ways they actually also sounded more like some of the CANTERBURY stuff as well, a nice combination actually.

All in all, I think that what GG did was based on a lot of free form stuff and improvisation, and the manner in which they worked together ... like one brother making fun of a song bit and they end up using it together ... usually fun stuff that is not always seen or thought of.

I think of some of the things that GG does as simply "fun stuff" ... as if it were satirizing a lot of the music around them, specially pop music ... and then they use some Rabelais, who was known to write satires that were considered grotesque and songs that were ... we call them "nasty" nowadays, but they would be "naughty" in English words, and I don't have the French word for it. That suggests that their total attitude towards music, was almost a complete reaction to the teaching they were getting in school about music ... and made fun of it, and guess what ... it stuck! But they knew how and what they did and were able to do it again and again for many albums.

A lot of the things mentioned here, don't quite make it for me ... there is no "drive" like GG had, to be able to put together something different ... most of the stuff listed was based on riffs and material that has been done before ... and a very obvious lack of imagination when all one can do is "copy" or "emulate" someone else ... and not realize that the history of music is almost the opposite ... the war against the school and the teachings ... and the creation of something new! 

I didn't see that "revolution", or "revolt" in almost all of the material listed. I will reserve comment on ECHOLYN since I was familiar with it 20 years ago ... and I found it ... a good listen!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 13:22
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/terramystic/gentle_giant_and_influenced_artists/" rel="nofollow - http://rateyourmusic.com/list/terramystic/gentle_giant_and_influenced_artists/
Bumped into this yesterday...personally I have only heard a handful of those bands.

Wow. Calling Echolyn the american GG is really overstating it. Imo, if anyone is the american GG it is Advent.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 16:16
I know that the French Canadian band Et Cetera was mentioned in the first response as it is an obvious one to those that know of it, but here is a track:

And if you like that, while I wouldn't say it's like GG, you might like Eskaton. Or maybe it's just me.

By the way, about 15 years ago I purchased an album by Spock's Beard because I'd read that the band was similar to and influenced by Gentle Giant and I was VERY into GG at the time, and boy was I disappointed. The album I bought was Snow.

Miriodor seems to capture much of what I liked so much about GG (rather like Henry Cow meets GG in various music).

Soon after trying Spock's Beard I discovered Miriodor, and it hit that quirky and adventurous spot I liked so much more, and that led me to check out lots of Avant Prog.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: September 24 2020 at 00:09
Look, plenty of artists are "influenced" by Gentle Giant, but very few actually sound like them outside of a few tracks or snippets here and there. If you're looking for the Spock's Beard tracks that actually sound somewhat like GG, they are Thoughts and Thoughts Pt. II. Mostly for the vocal polyphony. Kind of like how it's used in Cockroach King or Crystallised by Haken.

Again, the only band I've heard that really sounds pretty close to GG through and through is Et Cetera. I'm sure a few that were mentioned before also get pretty close. I'll have to check out Advent and Miriodor at some point.

Date Posted: September 24 2020 at 00:59
Atheist always had a GG-like vibe to their controlled madness, albeit it's metal and not traditional prog rock!

-------------

Posted By: PhideauxFan
Date Posted: September 24 2020 at 03:02
The Gourishankar (Russia) made a cover of Gentle Giant: For Nobody.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: September 24 2020 at 03:57
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Look, plenty of artists are "influenced" by Gentle Giant, but very few actually sound like them outside of a few tracks or snippets here and there. If you're looking for the Spock's Beard tracks that actually sound somewhat like GG, they are Thoughts and Thoughts Pt. II. Mostly for the vocal polyphony. Kind of like how it's used in Cockroach King or Crystallised by Haken.

Again, the only band I've heard that really sounds pretty close to GG through and through is Et Cetera. I'm sure a few that were mentioned before also get pretty close. I'll have to check out Advent and Miriodor at some point.

Thanks, I readily hear the Gentle Giant in those tracks.   Unfortunately, the people were being vague by just recommending SB as Gentle Giant-like, and I didn't ask for specific albums or music (this was in 2005) at the time, and I was on something of a carefree spending spree at the time. I had only myself to blame for going for the wrong stuff without proper research/ due diligence.

When I first heard Gentle Giant (in 2004 I think), music such as "The Moon is Down" (Acquiring the Taste being my favourite Gentle Giant album) reminded me of Frank Zappa's "Peaches en Regalia". I liked the exuberance and adventurous nature of much GG, and Miriodor had a similar vibe for me. Miriodor is the first post-classic "Prog" band that I got into, followed by U Totem. Both appealed to me for similar reasons that GG appealed to me.

I hardly ever listen to Gentle Giant now, but in the mid 2000s it was a favourite band of mine (I particularly like the early GG albums).

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: PhideauxFan
Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 02:48
Some sequences with High Wheel: There and Back From The Void (Germany). Wink

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: September 27 2020 at 16:44

I have Ripaille and Et Cetera albums. Ripaille better

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: TheH
Date Posted: October 03 2020 at 09:57

Posted By: muyProgresivo
Date Posted: October 15 2020 at 11:41
To me Wobbler's From Silence to Somewhere sounds a bit like Gentle Giant.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: May 09 2021 at 05:19
This thing is about as close as you’re ever going to get to Gentle Giant:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vG5RqRhkL0g

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Artik
Date Posted: May 09 2021 at 06:58
It may seems odd to you but I hear GG influence in "A Passion Play" by Jethro Tull. It's their most technicaly complicated album and GG comes to mind (at list mine) quite often while listening to it.  

Posted By: Spaciousmind
Date Posted: May 09 2021 at 07:32
I am surprised no one mentioned Gnidrolog yet.  I think their two 1972 albums are very much like Gentle Giant in sound and style.

Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Date Posted: May 09 2021 at 07:50
Bulgarian rock band FSB covered Gentle Giant on their debut album... without ever crediting them!
So, here's another band that was influenced A LOT by GG and is definitely not well-known.

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: May 09 2021 at 08:07
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

New Jersey band ADVENT did two credible albums in the 21st Century, 2006's Cantus Firmus and 2015's The Silent Sentinel. Not quite as complex or compact as GG, but definitely in that ballpark.

(I don't think these uploads will work, so just search for yourself on YouTube. All songs of both albums are available there.)

Also, MOON SAFARI's Blomljud contains a lot of "GG-Lite"-like music--especially the vocals.

Took the albums right otta my hands...^

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: May 09 2021 at 09:16

Just discovered this magnificent piece of music today, enjoy!

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: May 09 2021 at 09:42
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Just discovered this magnificent piece of music today, enjoy!
About time! Not sure this is a Giant-like tune, but welcome to the world of Mike Keneally. Seriously neglected artist.

Date Posted: May 09 2021 at 11:33
^ Thanks a lot, guys! Nice find for me! Are there more albums like this one within the Mike Keneally discography?

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: May 09 2021 at 12:43
Originally posted by projeKct projeKct wrote:

^ Thanks a lot, guys! Nice find for me! Are there more albums like this one within the Mike Keneally discography?
Mike is quite diverse. I think his first three albums are killer. Guitar Therapy Live may be a good starter disc... gives an overview of his music. Be warned, some of his albums such as Nonkertomph are
very out there - avant, dissonant and too weird for my tastes, yet others may disagree. Enjoy the Keneally journey.

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: May 09 2021 at 14:55
^ I will be promptly checking out those first three albums. I was also wondering where to start based on that incredible track, and there's my answer!

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Date Posted: May 21 2021 at 12:30
Early Gentle Giant vibe here, I think (especially the second part of the song) :

Date Posted: May 21 2021 at 14:36
Epidermis 
Et Cetera(Canada 1976)
Yezda Urfa
Hands
Advent
Gryphon
Banco (a little bit)
Echolyn (a little bit)
Jethro Tull (a little bit)

Posted By: MichelNeurophile
Date Posted: June 14 2021 at 06:42
"Finneus Gauge" has a kind of female Gentle-Giant-like vocalist. A lot of dissonances.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk