Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=124082
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 17:14
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Interactive Pool of Tears: The Crying Game edition
Posted By: Logan
Subject: Interactive Pool of Tears: The Crying Game edition
Date Posted: September 21 2020 at 18:09
Interactive Pool of Tears # :-( -- aka the "Tears for Ears" edition of the Interactive Poll series.

A poll so sad it should be in negative numbers.
Sad, melancholic, gloomy, dour, miserable, depressing, woeful, sorrowful, tearful, not jaunty songs.

Rule one: mention up to four sad/ melancholic songs*, but you can only nominate one because one is the loneliest number.

Rule two: When the time comes, then it's time for your miserable self to vote for three options.

By the way, your choices can be in PA, but then please try to go for lesser-known ones. And you don't need to pick as a winner the one that made you the most miserable.

So, let the tears commence!

But I don't want to leave my message on a sad note, here is Ken to cheer people up:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My choices:

Kazuki Tomokawa - Boya (Little Boy)

The Antlers - "Kettering"

Mentioned this in another of these methinks so I don't plan to nominate it, but this is my favourite (along with Nick Drake's "River Man") melancholic song.

Nick Drake - "Fruit Tree"

A strong favourite of mine:

Vashti Bunyan - "Winter is Blue"

Edited to add the contributor's usernames in order of the poster's first nominations appearance. And this edit:

* Bonus songs are acceptable. For instance, here are four that I'm considering nominating and another twenty that are bonuses (that I might nominate being the implication). ;) It's called a loophole, and loopholes only work well when they are exploited -- especially when at the gallows. That said, too many embeds could cause a black hole/ rip a hole in the fabric of space-time which would make my cry if I had time to cry.

And of course you can vacillate from your given songs up until I call for final nominations and choose something else entirely. I plan to put the choices up by Friday at some time, although Sadurday mourning would be more fitting.

The Nominations list:

Logan: Sufjan Stevens -"Death with Dignity"
TCat: Antony & the Johnsons - "The Lake"
jamesbaldwin: Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - "Far From Me" (live)
Meltdowner: Weyes Blood - "Wild Time"
Cristi: Anathema - "Our Last Goodbye"
mathman0806: Chris Cornell - "Like a Stone"
The Dark Elf: Young Dubliners - "One and Only"
someone_else: Tenhi - "Surunuotta"
Snicolette: Ray LaMontagne - "All the Wild Horses"
Lewian: Foyer Des Arts - "Könnten Bienen Fliegen"
suitkees: Narciso Yepes - "Romance (Jeux interdits)"
The Anders: Sebastian - "De grå katte"
dr wu23: Neil Young - "The Old Laughing Lady"
I prophesy disaster: Split Enz - "Stranger Than Fiction"
Moshkito - Fairport Convention - "Reynardine"

Let the Crying Game commence!

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Replies:
Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: September 21 2020 at 19:15
There must be something wrong with me because I love sad and depressing songs.  I should ask my psychiatrist.

Ryan Adams - "I Taught Myself How to Grow Old"  The lyrics included for added depression.  

Antony & the Johnsons - "The Lake"  Probably what you'll want to jump into after this is over.  Yet, it's beautifully hopeful.

Neko Case - "Make Your Bed"  A murderous wish.  I would hate to be on her bad side.

Band of Horses - "Heartbreak on the 101"  Poignant and sad, wanting to be hopeful, but in the end, why try?

This last one is not in the running since I have already maxed out, but is still a favorite, and probably the most popular one of the others that I've posted, and I just wanted to add it to my miserable collection of darkness and gloom.

Beck - "Lost Cause"

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: September 21 2020 at 23:02
I will find a song or two.  I love the gallows humour thing going on in this thread, already.  I will endeavour to find a few terribly lachrymose songs. 

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 03:51
My four nominations:

1) The Smiths: I Know It's Over (live, 1986, from the album Rank)

And now what I consider to be one of the greatest masters in sad, melancholic, gloomy, dour, miserable, depressing, woeful, sorrowful, tearful, not jaunty songs.

2) Nick Cave: Where Do We Go But Nowhere

3) Nick Cave: Far From me (live)

4) Nick Cave: We Came Along This Road (live)

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 04:04
I nominate Ken for the best haircut Big smile

There are quite a few songs I could have chosen but I picked the two songs that moved me the most this year:

Susanne Sundfør - Walls (she's on PA but only has a few reviews)

Weyes Blood - Wild Time

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 04:06
Ay! Nice theme and I'm sure I'll find something, but I'll take some time for voting in the other one first. Much work these days.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 04:26

I'll be back for some more songs. 

Posted By: mathman0806
Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 05:41
Alice in Chains "Down In A Hole"

Nirvana "Something In The Way"

Velvet Revolver "Fall To Pieces"

Chris Cornell "Like A Stone" 

I wasn't intending to go in this direction but ended up with tragically deceased singers from the grunge era. 

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 06:24
The first is a tale of child sexual abuse. Very heavy subject and extremely sad, but the composition as well as the lyrics are brilliant...

The next is more bittersweet and inspirational. I've always loved Ian Hunter...

Perhaps the best composition of Elton John's career, and it wasn't even a hit. Perhaps because it is about a mass murderer...

And lastly, the most prog any members of CSN ever got (in this case, Crosby & Nash with guitar and background vocals by James Taylor), with a message even more poignant today than 40 some years ago...

Bonus track (I blame Greg/Logan for opening up the torrents)...

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 07:47
Bonuses are a bonus. I won't stop at four.

Thanks everyone, some I know already and some I didn't. I almost mentioned a The Smiths myself. Maybe someone will bring up a The Cure song.

Mention this a lot, but I love Cat Steven's "Trouble" so very much that I'm going to mention it again. It's one of my all-time favourite songs.

And for another Stevens:

Sufjan Stevens- "Death With Dignity" (I might actually nominate this one).

And in PA, Robert Wyatt's "Sea Song" and his version of Elvis Costello's "Shipbuilding" for its somber atmosphere gets a nod.

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 07:52
there are two really sad songs on The Cure's Wish album, I wanted to post, but maybe later. 

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 09:58
This theme prevents me from clearing off for the time being. My candidates:

Tenhi - Surunuotta (2011)
A track off an album by a Finnish band filed under Prog Folk, which was ranked #7 on my 2011 AotY list. The entire album could be nominated.

Joy Division - The Eternal (1980)
A long time favourite of mine.

John Cale - Broken Bird (1982)

Anna von Hausswolff - Deathbed (2013)
La Hausswolff's most beautiful song, imho.

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 10:26
So far, these are my favorites from the Interactive Pool of Tears.....

Logan:  Nick Drake - "Fruit Tree" and The Atlers - "Kettering" CryCryCryCryCry
TCat your songs are just too depressing to rate.  Brighten things up a bit would you, I can't bear to listen to this drivel.
Lorenzo:  The Smiths - "I Know It's Over" and Nick Cave - "Far From Me" UnhappyUnhappyUnhappyUnhappyUnhappy
Meltdowner:  Weyes Blood - "Wild Time"  CryCryCryCryCry
Cristi:  The Scorpions - "Yellow Raven" and Max Richter - "On the Nature of Daylight"  Broken HeartThumbs DownShockedOuchCry

That's as far as I could go up to now as the window beckons me to leap through it, I can't go on and will refrain until later.  Five sad emoticons are used to replace stars as stars are too damn bright for this thread and they also eventually die anyway.....

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 10:44
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

So far, these are my favorites from the Interactive Pool of Tears.....

Logan:  Nick Drake - "Fruit Tree" and The Atlers - "Kettering" CryCryCryCryCry
TCat your songs are just too depressing to rate.  Brighten things up a bit would you, I can't bear to listen to this drivel.
Lorenzo:  The Smiths - "I Know It's Over" and Nick Cave - "Far From Me" UnhappyUnhappyUnhappyUnhappyUnhappy
Meltdowner:  Weyes Blood - "Wild Time"  CryCryCryCryCry
Cristi:  The Scorpions - "Yellow Raven" and Max Richter - "On the Nature of Daylight"  Broken HeartThumbs DownShockedOuchCry

That's as far as I could go up to now as the window beckons me to leap through it, I can't go on and will refrain until later.  Five sad emoticons are used to replace stars as stars are too damn bright for this thread and they also eventually die anyway.....

LOL

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 11:21
I have listened to most everything posted, but have been feeling too despondent to even post my sad-faced reactions (except for my Patreon subscribers who get exclusive content of me at my most miserable) . I keep looking deep into Ken's big eyes to comfort me during this process, but really I know he only has eyes for that Barbie girl. Damn that hussy! Life in plastic, it's not fantastic, Ken.

P.S. Good stuff. :D

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 11:56
I dearly regret to inform you that I've decided to participate in this most grievous poll.  Cry

From Connie Dover, "The Wishing Well"  

From Roy Wood, "The Rain Came Down On Everything" Note that at the beginning, Annie Haslam does her best to break glass.  That high, sustained note is her voice.

And from one of kings of capturing sadness, I could post about 20 of this songs here, Tom Rapp, with "The Snow Queen"  

And a fourth this time, Ray LaMontagne's "All The Wild Horses"  

It is time for me to depart and to consider if my wretched life is worth continuing.  CryCry

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 12:00
Maybe on the surface this is not that sad but I find it very touching. Nik Kershaw wrote it for his oldest son with whom he apparently fell out at some point - "please come back and see us all one day". 

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 12:18
Thank you Logan, for getting the tissue-industry through the current covid19-crisis; your effort will be much appreciated!
Wasn't expecting from Cristi to come up with something by Max Richter. Great choice! Thumbs Up
I was immediately thinking of Henryk Gorecki's Symphony n° 3 (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs), especially the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mEWlGLkjIw" rel="nofollow - Polish interpretation on a cheep Naxos CD edition (which I prefer over the probably more famous version with Dawn Upshaw...). Fits the bill, but it is probably a bit too long to include...

And thank you Logan again, for giving me a sub-theme to my choices... Cinema!
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Rule one: mention up to four sad/ melancholic songs, but you can only nominate one because one is the loneliest number.

Aimee Mann - One (from the film Magnolia by Paul Thomas Anderson):

Two: I discovered this film during my film studies, and this piece of music has followed me ever since: Narciso Yepes - Romance (adapted for the film Jeux interdits by René Clément):

Three: a brilliant composition for one of the most brilliant films of all time: Michael Nyman - Memorial (written for the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover by Peter Greenaway):

Four: Not written for the film, but it suits it very well: Arvo Pärt - Spiegel im Spiegel (used in the film Gerry by Gus van Sant - I found a short version...):

Hope you will get over it...

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 13:04
Sebastian - De grå katte (1983)

Spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/track/1BYHOtjIdcoX2xG7C62NII?si=ht_UY7MeSOSUeH6FHjhYKA" rel="nofollow - http://open.spotify.com/track/1BYHOtjIdcoX2xG7C62NII?si=ht_UY7MeSOSUeH6FHjhYKA

English translation:

De grå katte / The grey cats

Is someone waiting?
Is there a reason to go?
I say thank you and send
kisses to you, my friends
All cats are grey
All cats are grey

Walking with clenching hands
What about all the things we should do?
I may be a bit bitter, I send
smiles to you my friends
All cats are grey
All cats are grey

In small private intrigues
there is often flattery to get
And the air is so heavy that I scream
- I keep quiet -
All cats are grey
All cats are grey

Are you asking for a meaning?
Can you see the scene is oblique?
We're fighting in the outfit of our time:
dreams and isolation
All cats are grey
All cats are grey

But there is:
always someone waiting
other colours to get
The artificial lighting disappears
The day awakens and finds
all the cats to be grey
red, yellow and blue

Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 13:07
@TCat: Your Band of Horses vid didn't work for me; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDISw4oT9sc" rel="nofollow - this one , from the artists' own channel, does...

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 13:13
@The Anders: A YT of De grå katte that works for me (and probably for most of us):

-------------

Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 13:33
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

@The Anders: A YT of De grå katte that works for me (and probably for most of us):

Thanks for providing the clip, but I couldn't access it myself. Almost all Danish music is blocked in Denmark on YouTube at the moment, along with lots of other music. This is due to a conflict between Google and the Danish copyright agency KODA about the license fee that YouTube have to pay to use Danish music.

Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 13:45
I'll also try something in my native language. Maybe my favourite lyrics ever.
Max Goldt, lyricist and singer of Foyer des Arts in the eighties and really a magician with words, now is a pretty successful writer in Germany. He writes mostly satirical and funny stuff. Foyer Des Arts at the time also did much fun stuff with weird lyrics. Musically I think they are very underrated, actually a pretty good band but not very well known, and if so mainly for their fun lyrics.

The "Koennten Bienen Fliegen" lyrics start off in surreal Foyer Des Arts style. The music was a bit calmer and more serious than what they normally did, but when I heard it for the first time, nothing prepared me for how hard the fourth verse would hit, in which in my understanding it is explained what happened, and how it would bring it all together. Unfortunately you will not have the same experience but anyway, I'm curious whether any of this works for people who don't speak the language.

Here's my pedestrian translation of the lyrics. (I recommend to read it slowly while listening.)

Könnten Bienen fliegen (If bees could fly)

If bees could fly
there would be splendor in every garden;
but they take the train
and bicker at the ticket machine.

If horses could gallop
there would be games and sport and party;
but they grapple in the wheelchair
and smoke self-rolled cigarettes.

If hearts could beat
they'd beat with lots of love;
but they only rustle nervously
like young thieves.

If people could talk
the world would explode into thousand pieces;
but they don't talk -
and some jump quietly from a train bridge.

If bees could fly
they'd fly to the middle of the sky;
the sky would open up,
and god would ask for forgiveness.

Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 14:44
Wow, some powerful stuff here that can really darken your day.  If you need a break with a quick pick me up though, click on this one (straight from the archives by the way):

East of Eden - "Jig a Jig"

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 15:04
^ From a jaunty jig-a-jig to a hangman's jig.

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 16:46
Mike: I like all of your choices very much, knew the Beck already (good one), but Antony & the Johnsons' "The Lake" musically moved me the most.

Lorenzo: I was thinking about doing a The Smiths song and then forgot about it. Good one. Nick Cave is a great one for this. My particular fave of your choices is "Where Do We Go But Nowhere?" Love that.

Samuel: I'd also nominate Ken for the best haircut -- lol. I've heard various Susanne Sundfør songs, but not that. I really love that, and the Weyes Blood - Wild Time (that is so up my alley). Those have similarities, but are also very different. I'd have a hard time choosing between them. Weyes Blood I will definitely be exploring more. It's very much my kind of thing.

Cristi: Knew and loved that Max Richter already. Considered it myself before making the poll but then decided that my choices would be songs rather than instrumentals. It's a very, very beautiful piece. I like that Scorpions "Yellow Raven" a great deal -- heard Scorpions from that time (controversial album as I recall) but not in a long time.

Geo: Nothing sadder than grungy dudes making music. ;) Just kidding, I think my favourite of those is Chris Cornell's "Like A Stone"

Greg: I've long loved that Traci Chapman, my brother gave that album to me as a gift. Irene Wild may be new to me and I enjoyed that very much (that would be my particular pick of your bunch).

Robert: I was touched by Tenhi - Surunuotta. Excellent. I've heard Tenhi before. Excellent. The Anna von Hausswolff I'd heard and is excellent in its own way, but Tenhi would be my particular choice though both are great (as are the others you posted).

Nickie: All your choices are very good. I wonder if Connie Dover could be related to Ben? Erm... Loves Pearls Before Swine, but my favourite of those might be "All the Wild Horses".

Lewian: I like various Nik Kershaw music, hadn't heard that that I can recall. The Foyer des Arts one is strangely familiar...

Kees: I certainly had that song in my head when I wrote "one is the loneliest number." I like that song. That Narciso Yepes guitar piece is one of my favourites, and the first thing I ever played on the guitar as my memory goes (using one string).   Yeah, I got mad guitar technique. Michael Nyman is one of my favourite composers and The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover is one of my favourite films. That video isn't working for me. Arvo Pärt's Spiegel im Spiegel is beautiful.

Anders: A YT of De grå katte is very cool and interesting. I like it.

I was stoic, at least that is until Jig-a-Jig. It gets you right in the jig-a-jugular.

Thanks y'all.

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 17:36

Rule one: mention up to four sad/ melancholic songs, but you can only nominate one because one is the loneliest number.

Aimee Mann - One (from the film Magnolia by Paul Thomas Anderson):

I thought of Aimee Mann's version of that too. Considered "Save Me" from the same movie before I flipped to grunge. In an alternative rock mood, here's another version of the song.

Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 18:12

Mike: I like all of your choices very much, knew the Beck already (good one), but Antony & the Johnsons' "The Lake" musically moved me the most.

Thanks Logan.  All of these songs mean a lot to me, for some reason, the sad and melancholic ones always seem to comfort me when I've had a bad day, strange how that works.  I've been waiting for the perfect time to post the Antony & the Johnsons track, and you provided that with this thread.  By the way, did you know that he sung on some of Current 93's albums?

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 18:51

@TCat: Your Band of Horses vid didn't work for me; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDISw4oT9sc" rel="nofollow - this one , from the artists' own channel, does...

Glad you found one that works (or maybe I'm sad for you).  I assume it's the same version, since your version doesn't work in my country and that makes me even sadder.

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 18:52
Am taking these in smaller doses than I often do, just a busy week with having to go to 3 different appointments that I'd spread out originally and then had to reschedule due to the wildfires out here.  All is good right where I am now, but it was a rough couple of weeks, the smoke was awful and we were close enough to one fire to have to keep ready just in case we had to leave, which, thankfully, never happened.

Happy to be here to be teary with all of you, lol!  These are my thoughts on the first four and a sad lot of music it is, indeed.  

Logan:  Kazuki Tomokawa - Boya (Little Boy)  Begins with some quiet piano notes and a somber male vocal.  Nicely understated orchestration with flute.  Couldn’t find a translation for the lyrics, want to see if it’s as sad as the music makes it.  The Antlers “Kettering”  More piano and this time, a more wistful sad vocal.  Very mournful in feel, builds in the middlish to a crescendo into a dirge-like feel.  Nick Drake “Fruit Tree”  very familiar with this, definitely a sad, mournful tune, pretty much Nick Drake defines this genre.  Vashti Bunyan “Winter Is Blue”  Also familiar with this one.  Perfectly sad and pretty.

Mike:  Ryan Adams “I Taught Myself How to Grow Old”  I like this much better than I like his more rocker-type tunes, which are what I’ve heard more of from him.  His very slight rasp with his voice almost breaking works well for a melancholy piece.  The strings are lovely in this also.  Antony and The Johnsons “The Lake” Piano is so perfect for these sad pieces.  Nice vibrato here, intriguing voice and some very deep strings underlying it all.  The lyrics have much more a sense of poetry rather than lyrics per se.  Beautiful.  Neko Case “Make Your Bed” Oh, this is very good!  The quiet rage of revenge well told.  😊Band of Horses “Heartbreak on the 101”  Sing-songy raspy vocalist, wonder where he was on the 101, it’s a long road.  Nice violin here again, goes into plinky bits for emphasis.  One kind of thinks he might not quite yet be “over it.”  Well produced, strong story-telling. Beck “Lost Cause”  Live long enough and you probably know a lost cause or two, or ya might even be one, or have been one that finally stopped being lost.  Kind of light feel to the music, but certainly a sad subject.

Lorenzo  “The Smiths”  Beautiful voice, a classic sounding torch song.  The end repeating line is absolutely tragically sad!  Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds “Where Do We Go Now But Nowhere?”  I agree with your description of Nick Cave.  His release of last year, “Ghosteen,” is just stunning.  A gorgeous lament here, with very spare production, another excellent story-teller.  “Far From Me”   A song of feeling that someone is absent in more than one way, the relationship was as empty as he is left feeling now that it’s done, it seems to me from this.  Fabulous musicians here, it’s very hard to play this kind of thing, it can’t be rushed and it isn’t, even in a live setting.  “We Came Along This Road”  The live setting is really remarkable with him, he has such a tortured aura, very confessional and intimate delivery.    Love the violin here, too, very expressive. 

Samuel: Susanne Sundfor “Walls”  A big changeup from Nick Cave, here and a heckuva a lot more hope in her sadness.  A bit of vibrato in her voice, kind of sweet and again, a nice change from the dark and tortured (although I do enjoy a lot of that, too).  Somehow she reminds me a little of Melanie.  Weyes Blood “Wild Time”  Here again, very different.  I quite like this arrangement, the music has a very different feel and her voice is excellent.  I like this one a lot. 

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 21:10
4 songs that have always brought a tear to my eye...they are well known artists...but I am pretty traditional in my music tastes,  so......I hope they touch you in some small way.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 06:37
Going into bonus territory with my liking of novelty songs, did anyone else think of this one?

It's funny-sad (or is it sad-funny).

Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 06:54
All playlist Cry:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-zzvl_w6Fx54Wj-L8YahC7ZVqa6IWx9n" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-zzvl_w6Fx54Wj-L8YahC7ZVqa6IWx9n

Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 07:23
I decided to put up one, just one, from Progarchives. And the winner of that competition that I did with myself is the song of the clearly self-destructive Selma in "Dancer in the Dark" who is going blind but doesn't care.
Björk - I've Seen It All

Probably too many know it so ultimately I may not nominate it - still one of those that always move me to tears.
Actually I was also considering "Water out of Wine" by Tony Banks, but that album has surprisingly twice as many reviews as Björk's. 

Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:03
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Mike:  Ryan Adams “I Taught Myself How to Grow Old”  I like this much better than I like his more rocker-type tunes, which are what I’ve heard more of from him.  His very slight rasp with his voice almost breaking works well for a melancholy piece.  The strings are lovely in this also.  Antony and The Johnsons “The Lake” Piano is so perfect for these sad pieces.  Nice vibrato here, intriguing voice and some very deep strings underlying it all.  The lyrics have much more a sense of poetry rather than lyrics per se.  Beautiful.  Neko Case “Make Your Bed” Oh, this is very good!  The quiet rage of revenge well told.  😊Band of Horses “Heartbreak on the 101”  Sing-songy raspy vocalist, wonder where he was on the 101, it’s a long road.  Nice violin here again, goes into plinky bits for emphasis.  One kind of thinks he might not quite yet be “over it.”  Well produced, strong story-telling. Beck “Lost Cause”  Live long enough and you probably know a lost cause or two, or ya might even be one, or have been one that finally stopped being lost.  Kind of light feel to the music, but certainly a sad subject.

Thanks for the comments Nicki.  I always appreciate your comments and they help pull me out of the despair of songs like these.

-------------

Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:43

Thanks for the comments Nicki.  I always appreciate your comments and they help pull me out of the despair of songs like these.
  Awwwwww, shucks.  The comments also help me in finding my initial impression and seeing if it changes on second listen, when the choices are made and I go back through those selections again.

-------------

Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:51
mathman - Being a fan of grunge, I know all of these versions very well, that is, except for the Chris Cornell solo version of his great Soundgarden song "Like a Stone".  This version really brings out the meanings of the lyrics and drive me right down into deep despair.  CryCryCryCryCry

The Dark Elf - The Young Dubliners - "One and Only"  This one really rocks but people would only dance to it if they were already depressed.  UnhappyUnhappyUnhappyUnhappyUnhappy

Logan - Your second set only serves to drive the listener further down into depression, but the one that stands out is Sufjan Stevens - "Death with Dignity".  I'm familiar with some of his work but not this one. 
 ErmmErmmErmmErmmErmm

someone_else - I enjoyed all of your selections, but Anna von Hausswolff's "Deathbed" is at the top of my list out of all that I've listened to so far.  Excellently depressing, dark and deep, this one would grab my attention in any thread.  Great choices. If you were anyone else, I would give a thumbs up, but since you are someone else, and this is a depressing thread you get 5 strong thumbs down.  Thumbs DownThumbs DownThumbs DownThumbs DownThumbs Down

Nicki - I'm sorry that I really liked all of your selections too.  I always intended to hear what Roy Wood sounded like after splitting off of The Move and Electric Light Orchestra.  And I'm always interested in hearing Tom Rapp's songs, this one is appropriately dour.  But my favs are Connie Dover and Ray LaMontagne (the latter is one that I have a few of his albums, but I didn't know this song which makes me want to go play in traffic).  Great choices once again.  OuchOuchOuchOuchOuch

Lewian - I'm always a Nik Kershaw fan and this is one I haven't heard, so great post.  Foyer des Arts really stands out and thank you for putting up the lyrics.  Those are definitely powerful, and I can imagine how much more powerful they must be in the native language.  Do you know of any nice trains that I can jump out of?  ShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked

suitkees - Avro Part - "Spiegel im Spiegel" is a beautifully morbid piece that is my favorite out of your choices.  Amie Mann does okay with One, but I do like Filter's version better and was familiar with it before this.  The other three were excellent choices, but the Part track really stands out for me.  DisapproveDisapproveDisapproveDisapproveDisapprove

The Anders - Sebastian's Gray Cat is another top contender for me right now.  Hopefully that doesn't bring you down since I loved it so much.  The lyrics are excellent and should make me even more paranoid when a cat crosses in front of me (Damn, I just popped a blister).  NukeNukeNukeNukeNuke

TCat - East of Eden - Jig a Jig I only have one response for this .... Question

Ok that's all I can handle today.  If I don't quit now I will be conjuring up Jack Kevorkian.

-------------

Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 11:41
Now we're all crying, let's cry together. Here's a song to incite us to do so. André van Duin was one of the great comedians in the Netherlands and this song was on top of the charts in 1982 (what does that say about the Dutch? Ermm)
(there's a twist in the finale of this video @ 2'30 that will make us all cry together... )

André van Duin - Als je huilt (When you cry - lyrics translated below):

When your girlfriend sends you a letter with a bomb
When your goldfish has drowned in his own bowl
When you look at your wife and suddenly it makes you sick
When sitting down you do it on your new hat

When you go hunting and the rabbits start shooting back
When you cut yourself while shaving in your back
When you start dancing on a mine that you didn't see
Then you have a reason, a real reason to cry

Cry it out over the rooftops, nothing to do with others when you cry
Let those tears stream freely, let the downpour come when you cry

Because when you can cry I will cry with you
And when we cry together, we will just cry for two.

-------------

Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 13:38

Thanks Logan.  All of these songs mean a lot to me, for some reason, the sad and melancholic ones always seem to comfort me when I've had a bad day, strange how that works.  I've been waiting for the perfect time to post the Antony & the Johnsons track, and you provided that with this thread.  By the way, did you know that he sung on some of Current 93's albums?

I did not. The only album in my collection by Current 93 is All the Pretty Little Horses which features Nick Cave (I have a thing for 1996) although I have listened to more Current 93. I listened to some of Anohni's (Antony) songs in collaboration with Current 83 and they are perfect for this topic. Of course Current 93 fits well on its own.

Lewian: I like that Bjork song very much and love the film Dancer in the Dark, which I saw in the cinema when it came out (after that I moved and stopped getting to see such interesting fare in the cinemas regularly). It's very memorable. She just did what she thought she had to do.

Doug, I love that Neil Young song.

-------------

Date Posted: September 23 2020 at 19:42
It seems as if the grief will never end.Cry  Here are some more inital depressing thoughts, starting with Logan's second additions and continuing on a bit more down the doleful entries.

Logan: Leonard Cohen “Famous Blue Raincoat”  Classic Cohen track here, a master at chillingly sad songs.  The way-back harmonies behind the deep voice and dark acoustic guitar, just perfect production for this piece.  Cat Stevens “Trouble”  One of my favourite films of all time!  Got to meet Bud Cort once and he was so very charming.  He had a Boston Terrier, was at a party I was at up in Laurel Canyon, this was in the 80’s.  Still looked like he was about 15 years old, lol.  That being said, this is such a touching moment in the film, Cat Stevens songs throughout it were just perfect.  I often think of this song when I am confronted once again with something I just really wish wasn’t happening, to me or those I love.  Sufjan Stevens “Death With Dignity”  Now I didn’t know of him before these polls, I did listen to a bunch after the first time he appeared, didn’t hear this one then.  He’s got a very distinctive sound, which is also strong here.  Good storytelling with soft treatment, goes into a choral wash, probably the moment of death. Perfectly morose. 

Cristi:  Max Richter “On the Nature of Daylight” Minimalist, lush and deep strings.  I really like this one a lot, nice to have an instrumental in this category, some sorrow is too deep for words.  Anathema “One Last Goodbye” Ballad to the one who is gone, singer grieving what can never be again.  Soaring lead guitar with fabulous tone at 4+ in.  Scorpions “Yellos Raven”  A rock ballad, but in a bit more heavy style as opposed to more progressive style of Anathema.  Double guitars, a bluesy feel to it as well.

George:  I must preface this with being very familiar with the era/genre of all of these.  We did every Lollapalooza tour from 1991 to 1997, so I saw all of these bands, and we also built buses for the GNR guys.  Grunge really worked well acoustically, nice choice to choose all acoustic versions, extra credit for deceased singers (another of my favourite kinds of singers, sadly Cry).  Alice In Chains “Down in a Hole”  Nice acoustic grunge here.  Nirvana “Something In The Way”  More deep sadness and gloom (which is perfect for the category, of course). Velvet Revolver “Fall to Pieces”  I personally am not a big fan of Slash, I have a hard time reconciling his personality enough to enjoy him, so sorry (despite the fact that we did build a bus for him).  Chris Cornell “Like A Stone”  He had such a great voice.  This was very well done, nice video, too. 

Greg:  The Young Dubliners “One and Only”  I know of the band, but I’d never heard much from them.  The tin whistles give me chills, with the subject matter.  I have several friends who suffered through childhood sexual abuse, including Jano Brindisi, who I posted a song from, quite a while ago, who wrote a great song about it, “The Eleventh Commandment,” (Honor Thy Children).  So a subject that resonates well with me.  I also will seek out some other stuff by them, I like their sound a lot, so thank you!  Ian Hunter “Irene Wilde”  I lived through the glam era, but many seemed to just kind of blur (like heavy metal bands for me), so I kind of stopped listening, we were much more into progressive if it was going to be electric.  That being said, interesting ballad with a bit of a twist.  Elton John “Ticking”  I actually went to an Elton John concert (a couple of years before this) and Family opened the show, for which I am grateful.  Anyway, this is how I like Elton John best, I just hated “Bennie and the Jets.”  Also loved when they did more orchestral production of his (and Bernie Taupin’s) material.  His playing, of course, is stellar and he’s got a great voice.  Crosby, Stills & Nash “To The Last Whale:  Critical Mass/Wind on the Water”  Just love this, I am very familiar with it, a staple of LA area radio while I lived there.  Stellar vocals, music with a message, so beautifully done.  Definitely agreed even more poignant today…I still haven’t forgotten the message.  Vote.   Tracy Chapman “Behind the Wall”  Oh, I remember this one very well.  What a beautiful voice she has, what a find in those days with the resurgence of female singer/songwriters.  Message music again, I quite approve.

Someone Else: Tenhi “Surunuotta” This one got me right from the start.  Love the minor key with an almost inaudible drone behind the guitar (?), then whispered vocals.  I don’t care that I don’t know the lyrics.  String squeaking, which I love (seriously).   Moves into the drone coming more forward (bowed strings).  Oh this is gorgeous and dark.  I will be seeking out more of this.  Thank you.  Joy Division “The Eternal” Properly dirge-like musically.  Bit of nasal quality to the vocalist, it’s in a good way though.  The lyrics are properly funereal as well.  John Cale “Broken Bird”  Familiar with his name, haven’t heard a lot, though, outside of the VU.  Like the harpsichord sound, along with the electric piano.  Bitter lyrics and passionate vocal deliver.  Anna von Hausswolff “Deathbed”  She just recently came to my knowledge (comparatively speaking), I really enjoyed her Dead Magic release and the video for “The Mysterious Vanishing of Electra,” this song will be new to me.  Organ notes with a sustained electric guitar riding over, almost impossible to describe this music, since I don’t know the technical terminology.  It is very moody (should be, with the title).  The guitar continues with big drum sound about halfway through. Then we have her vocals.  Definitely haunting. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 24 2020 at 04:43
Thanks for the comments, Nickie.

I'm hoping that I can put the poll up by Friday at the latest, so please be thinking about your final nominations. There haven't been as many people involved in this as in others, which is probably a good thing because that wave of depression could turn into a tsunami of despair and plunge the whole world into darkness.

-------------

Date Posted: September 24 2020 at 08:56
Ok, I'm going to finish off the rest of the entries quickly, just go ahead and add your own sad emoticons or use your imagination and imagine 5 of the most depressing emoticons that your mind can conjure up.

Dr. wu - I already know two of your entries quite well, John Prine's amazing "Sam Stone" and Neil Young's excellent "The Old Laughing Lady".  I'm not a big fan of Jackson Browne, though I admire his lyrics.  However, I surprised myself by really enjoying The Walker Brothers song.  It was vaguely familiar, but I love this style.

Mathman - "Dead Puppies" provides a little bit of black humor amid the gloom and despair of these tracks.  Thanks again for your YT list!!!!

Lewain - I love Bjork's music, but I hadn't seen this excellent video.  I'm going to have to take time to watch the entire film.  I find most videos tend to distract from the music, but this one enhances it quite well.  Great entry!

suitkees - Again, a bit more comedy relief that helps shed a light in all of this darkness.

Logan - That video is perfect for that track.  Just like on Lewian's Bjork entry, the video enhances the music.

Here is a great example of what a video can do for a song.  Hearing the lyrics by themselves might make the song sound humorous (except the last verse), but the video brings out the true meaning.  This is not an official music video for the track, however, it very well could be.

Okay, now I'm sad that its all over with now.  Cry 

Gloom, despair and agony on me.

-------------

Date Posted: September 24 2020 at 13:20
I'm listening to the playlist.

I write my first impressions:

Songs 1 - 4 (Logan).

Nick Cave's song is definitely my favorite, it's amazing. But haven't we already voted it in one of the first polls? The other three don't appeal to me, but maybe Winter is Blue is the best.

Songs 5-9 (TCat)

I Cant listen to Heartbreak on n the 101. Considering the other four, my fave is surely The Lake.

Songs 14-15

Wonderful female vocals. My fave is Walls.

Songs 16-17-18-19-20
Max Richter: is it classical music? or a soundtrack?
Anyway, I like very much Donw in A Hole and Something by Nirvana.

-------------

Date Posted: September 24 2020 at 13:27

Lorenzo wrote:  
"Songs 5-9 (TCat)

I Cant listen to Heartbreak on n the 101. Considering the other four, my fave is surely The Lake"

Lorenzo, try the link that worked for Kees, it might work for you.  It doesn't work for me so I can't determine if it's the same track or not, but I will assume it is.

-------------

Date Posted: September 24 2020 at 14:50
^ Lorenzo, I nominated Nick Drake for "Fruit Tree" in Nickie-not-Drake's male singer/songwriter poll, and so hadn't planned to nominate it this round but I still wanted to mention it again because it fits this topic so very well for me.

While Vashti's "Winter is Blue" and Cat Stevens' "Trouble" are my favourites not Drake that I have posted in this topic. I might not nominate the Vashti simply because I've mentioned it in many topics over the years, but maybe I will anyway. Cat Stevens "Trouble was one of my three mentions in Nickie's poll despite choosing the Drake over it. Not sure who I will nominate yet. Probably go with Sufjan Stevens' "Death with Dignity".

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: September 24 2020 at 15:34
Tough choice for me...but I'll nominate my Neil Young track,,,The Old laughing Lady....I really like his early albums.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: September 24 2020 at 16:04
One poll a week is fast for me in a regular working week... could once more not really listen to things in a properly concentrated manner but had them playing... unfortunately this particularly means that most lyrics pass me by. Highlight number 1: Tenhi - Surunotta. This one really hit me. Also very good: Crosby, Stills and Nash, Anna von Hauswolff, Susanne Sundfor, Nirvana; some of the best are also some that I know already: Nick Drake, Sufjan Stevens (I had an own nomination from that album), Tracy Chapman, Max Richter, Jeux Interdits, Joy Division.
Somehow in the second half there's quite a bit of stuff that comes over as rather funny... anyway, not much to write, just some information for those who wonder which one to nominate.   

Date Posted: September 24 2020 at 17:55

Lorenzo wrote:  
"Songs 5-9 (TCat)

I Cant listen to Heartbreak on n the 101. Considering the other four, my fave is surely The Lake"

Lorenzo, try the link that worked for Kees, it might work for you.  It doesn't work for me so I can't determine if it's the same track or not, but I will assume it is.

Yes, this one works. Good song but not so sad. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 24 2020 at 18:05

Among the songs I already knew are two that I love:

Cohen's The Famous Blue Raincot and

Cale's Broken Bird

then, very good but I'm not passionate,

- Trouble, by Cat Stevens

- For a Dancer, by Jackson Browne

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: September 24 2020 at 18:14
Hi,

A couple of items/thoughts on these things ... 

One More Chance - Fairport Convention sung by Sandy Denny, and the remastered album has a piano version that is even more haunting. The album version appears to be a tribute to her. I always feel like ... she didn't get another chance!

Battered Ornaments/Pete Brown - My Love is Gone Far Away ... a song about the love has gone away with some incredible guitar work. Chris Spedding on guitar!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: September 24 2020 at 18:34
And finishing up to current entries, I dread the ending!  Starting with some additions from people and moving on to the rest:

Lewian additions:  Foyer des Arts "Koennten Bienen Fliegen"  This one is very quiet, it sounds almost like a lullaby to my ears, without looking at the lyrics.  There is a fluttery sax sound and some washes behind picked guitar.  The lyrics seem a bit abstract to me (which, they probably are supposed to be).  A song to me of what life should be and isn’t, and is god to blame?  Bjork “Dancer in the Dark”  I have actually not seen or heard this.  I normally do not really like her, but I found this very moving with the video as well and the storyline.  Maybe I should revisit her since I haven’t heard her for a long time.  

Mike additions:  East of Eden “Jig-a-Jig”  I like this, reminds me of when Alan Stivell adds electric instruments.  I know the tune, but can’t think of the one it’s based off of, they can sound a bit similar and I don’t play them on harp, since I can’t play that fast.  Still fun and thanks for lightening the mood for a few minutes!  Primus “Too Many Puppies”  Oh, Lord, I’m glad I entered a funny one about dogs (see George comments).  

Logan additions:  Merriman Weir “Gallows Man”  Here, a bawdy tune, another break from all of the the sadness. Antony & The Johnsons Not sure which the song title is here, but I love Antony’s voice.  

George addition:  Ogden Edsl “Dead Puppies”  Very sad!  I love dogs, but this is funny, although in very bad taste.  I did think of a funny/sad song, also featuring dogs.  This is Mason Williams’ “The Prince’s Panties.” 

suitkees:  Aimee Mann “One” Here she is covering the big hit written by Harry Nilsson, which was made famous by Three Dog Night.  This is a very different take on the song, Harry Nilsson was a fine writer and Aimee is a fine singer. Completely made this one her own instead of a female Three Dog Night version.  Narcisco Ypes “Romance” I know this piece, so can’t vote for it by my rules.  But it is just gorgeous and a favourite of mine.  Very mournful and so beautifully and articulately played.  It’s a tune sometimes performed by harpists much more accomplished than I am.  Michael Nyman “Memorial” This one is more strident than the last. A march, with strings very to the fore and some sort of honking something that shows up about 5 minutes in.  I much prefer Ypes.  But that’s just me.  Arvo Part “Spiegel im Spiegel  This is more my style.  Very beautiful strings and piano to the fore, lovely haunting melody.  André van Duin  “Als je huilt”  Just tragical!  :D

The Anders:  Sebastian “De gra katte”  More of an electronic feel here.  Because of the cats, I can’t help but think of the saddest cat of all time, Henri, who I adore.  There are some cat sounds in this too, very inventive.  This is perhaps a bit more anger blended into the sadness, which is perfectly legitimate.  Builds to a nice crescendo of frustration.

dr Wu23: As you probably know by now, we have lived through the same eras, so I know of all of these.  Definitely all wonderful tunes, so thank you for bringing them to those who may not.  “The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine Anymore”   Love Scott Walker and this tune.  Given the kind of treatment that you would hear with The Righteous Brothers, this is a wonderful classic torch song.  Neil Young “The Old Laughing Lady”  I adore his solo music, too, love the women’s backing vocals so much in this one.  And, as always, a master storyteller.  John Prine “Sam Stone”   This is probably my favourite John Prine LP.  Jackson Browne “For A Dancer”  Close ties to him, with David Lindley playing guitar (and many other instruments) for the band for so many years, and here, he’s playing fiddle.  Also had a housemate who had dated him (JB) for a time back in the early 80’s.  Very pretty ballad by a talented songwriter, ended up with kind of a bad reputation, however. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 09:12
I'm going to nominate Antony &  the Johnsons - "The Lake".  This one seems to have gotten the best reactions over all, plus it is a singer/songwriter that doesn't get enough deserved attention.

-------------

Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 09:18

Lewian additions:  Foyer des Arts "Koennten Bienen Fliegen"  This one is very quiet, it sounds almost like a lullaby to my ears, without looking at the lyrics.  There is a fluttery sax sound and some washes behind picked guitar.  The lyrics seem a bit abstract to me (which, they probably are supposed to be).  A song to me of what life should be and isn’t, and is god to blame? 

This is quite interesting, because to me it seemed crystal clear that this is a song about a person, probably a friend, who committed suicide, and the inability to help through communication, probably because this person wouldn't talk (verse 4), maybe in a situation in which love was not reciprocated or only pretended (verse 3). But talking for people, one should think, is so natural, like bees flying, horses gallopping etc.!

Now I'm writing this not to tell you that you are wrong, but rather to say that this makes me realise how different people are and interpretations can be. Because I was never 100% sure whether my interpretation is really true (I don't know the background story), and sometimes I asked myself (1) whether I'm actually right about this, but also (2) whether my doubts should embarrass me because it is maybe so clear to everyone else that I shouldn't even have doubts? 

So I like a lot that you come up with another interpretation, showing me that one can really understand this in a different way. Intuitively I'm pretty sure that I'm right, also from the singing, however I have no idea how reliable that is. (Of course the problem may be my translation, but I don't think so - I may not have transmitted the brilliance of Goldt's words, however the literal meaning of the words, maybe without the odd allusion, should come over. Obviously I had my interpretation in mind when translating this.)

PS: Maybe the issue is not so much the translation as it is, but rather that if it's your native language, you can make much more sense also of how the singer emphasises specific words.

I only became aware listening to it for the second time, having already this interpretation in mind, how painful the singing and the sax actually are.

Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 09:24
I'm surprised this one didn't get on someone's list.  I thought for sure that it would.  Yeah, it might be a bit sappy, but it was a big hit in the states, even when every one found out it was a song about Carl Wilson's (The Beach Boys) dog.  Dog/Pet lovers will need a box of tissue especially if you watch the video.

Henry Gross - "Shannon"

-------------

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 11:36
I didn't get past the first page this week, there's a lot of tough music to listen to.
Glad to see Anna von Hausswolff, I thought about her but didn't know which song to pick.
As for my nomination, both tracks seemed well received judging by your comments, which makes it difficult to choose. I'll go with Weyes Blood, I'm sure there will be another occasion for Susanne in a future poll.

Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 11:58

I'm surprised this one didn't get on someone's list.  I thought for sure that it would.  Yeah, it might be a bit sappy, but it was a big hit in the states, even when every one found out it was a song about Carl Wilson's (The Beach Boys) dog.  Dog/Pet lovers will need a box of tissue especially if you watch the video.

Henry Gross - "Shannon"

Don't encourage people to post sickeningly saccharine melodrama. You might end up with something like...

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 11:59
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Henry Gross - "Shannon"

Don't encourage people to post sickeningly saccharine melodrama. You might end up with something like...

Oh, dear!  I remember it well.

-------------

Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 12:06
This week has seemed regrettably short.  I did get a once-through on everything, though.  I think I'm going to go with my fourth addition this time, it's kind of different and it seems as though not everyone has heard it before, which, being more contemporary, kind of surprised me.  So, "All The Wild Horses," by Ray LaMontagne.  Although I think all of mine (outside of "The Prince's Panties,") are quite fitting, it saddens me enormously to have to choose just one from the lot.  I thank everyone for their entries, and am offering up a virtual box of tissues in a drearily shaded box of grey and black, for us to pass around.  CryCryCry 

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 13:23
Thanks for all your reactions so far. I am going to nominate "Surunuotta" by Tenhi because this is melancholy  raised to the highest level.

-------------

Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 13:31
I choose 

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds: Far From Me (live)

-------------

Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 13:45

Henry Gross - "Shannon"

Ha!  Good one!  What about this one?

-------------

Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 13:58

Henry Gross - "Shannon"

CryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry

Good thing I brought that box of tissues!

-------------

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 14:46
For my submissions, I'll take advantage of the allowance of prog in the poll. For my first submission, I choose a track from one of my all-time favourite albums. The group is well-known in my part of the world, though this album is their lesser-known debut:

Split Enz - Stranger Than Fiction

For my second submission, I choose two consecutive tracks that I think belong together, and want to be treated as a single submission. The album is of course well-known, but think the tracks themselves are lesser-known tracks from the album:

Pink Floyd - Hey You + Is There Anybody Out There

For my third submission, I choose a track that is a tribute to Keith Ellis that was written shortly after his death:

Peter Hammill - Not For Keith

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 16:27

This one, by Jacques Brel and Rod McKuen, was covered by many in the 60's, even Tom Rapp did a version....

-------------

Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 16:29
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

For my submissions, I'll take advantage of the allowance of prog in the poll. For my first submission, I choose a track from one of my all-time favourite albums. The group is well-known in my part of the world, though this album is their lesser-known debut:

Split Enz - Stranger Than Fiction

For my second submission, I choose two consecutive tracks that I think belong together, and want to be treated as a single submission. The album is of course well-known, but think the tracks themselves are lesser-known tracks from the album:

Pink Floyd - Hey You + Is There Anybody Out There

For my third submission, I choose a track that is a tribute to Keith Ellis that was written shortly after his death:

Peter Hammill - Not For Keith
  Videos removed for space:  

Split Enz “Stranger Than Fiction:” I know of the band, I love the way the song starts.  Several switchups right near the beginning.  Not a fan of the singer of this band, however, even though I like them musically.  The theme of the song fits this category well, however.  Pink Floyd “Hey You + Is There Anybody Out There”  Who the heck are these guys?  😉  Good choice to put the two tracks together for listening to.  Peter Hammill “Not For Keith”  Seems like there are two camps with Peter Hammill, some love him, some hate him.  For me, it depends.  Here, his voice works for me.  The piano is wonderful.  Hadn’t heard this before, nice choice. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 16:35
While I suggested lesser know songs if going for Prog acts, that is not a rule, merely a suggestion. In this case I knew all of them -- I'd go with the Split Enz or Hammill myself. I'm planning to put the poll choices up today, maybe tonight in about six hours so the deadline lurks ominously close.

By the way, here is a rather upbeat, jaunty sounding one which has more morose lyrical content.

Belle and Sebastian - "Get Me Away From Here I Am Dying"

-------------

Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 17:20
SO we have:

Logan: Sufjan Stevens -"Death with Dignity"
TCat: Antony & the Johnsons - "The Lake"
jamesbaldwin: Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - "Far From Me" (live)
Meltdowner: Weyes Blood - "Wild Time"
Cristi
mathman0806
The Dark Elf
someone_else: Tenhi - "Surunuotta"
Snicolette: Ray LaMontagne - "All the Wild Horses"
Lewian: Foyer Des Arts - "Könnten Bienen Fliegen"
suitkees:
The Anders: Sebastian - "De grå katte"
dr wu23: Neil Young - "The Old Laughing Lady"
I prophesy disaster: Split Enz - "Stranger Than Fiction"

Oh, And Moshkito mentioned a couple, so I will add one of those even if he doesn't choose which he prefers in that time.

Expect I missed various final nominations, will edit this post later. This is just to get me started in preparation for the upcoming poll (hope to have it up and running in about six hours). I like to give some space-time for people to listen over the weekend to all of the nominated choices before the next poll. goes up.

-------------

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 17:28

I'd go with the Split Enz or Hammill myself.

My nomination goes to Split Enz.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 17:33
^ Thanks, that would have been my pick of yours, much as I do like the Hammill and Pink Floyds.

-------------

Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 17:37
I wanted to say, both the Pink Floyd and the Peter Hammill are very good suggestions, but of course super well known in these quarters, so a bit hard to vote for.

Björk got some very good feedback, but I think I encourage everyone to listen once more to the Foyer des Arts piece, even for me as a German it took more than one listen to fully appreciate it, so that's my nomination. Maybe it helps making you cry Evil Smile to think it's about a friend's suicide, but see my last posting to Nicky, who can be sure?

Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 17:47
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Lewian additions:  Foyer des Arts "Koennten Bienen Fliegen"  This one is very quiet, it sounds almost like a lullaby to my ears, without looking at the lyrics.  There is a fluttery sax sound and some washes behind picked guitar.  The lyrics seem a bit abstract to me (which, they probably are supposed to be).  A song to me of what life should be and isn’t, and is god to blame? 

This is quite interesting, because to me it seemed crystal clear that this is a song about a person, probably a friend, who committed suicide, and the inability to help through communication, probably because this person wouldn't talk (verse 4), maybe in a situation in which love was not reciprocated or only pretended (verse 3). But talking for people, one should think, is so natural, like bees flying, horses gallopping etc.!

Now I'm writing this not to tell you that you are wrong, but rather to say that this makes me realise how different people are and interpretations can be. Because I was never 100% sure whether my interpretation is really true (I don't know the background story), and sometimes I asked myself (1) whether I'm actually right about this, but also (2) whether my doubts should embarrass me because it is maybe so clear to everyone else that I shouldn't even have doubts? 

So I like a lot that you come up with another interpretation, showing me that one can really understand this in a different way. Intuitively I'm pretty sure that I'm right, also from the singing, however I have no idea how reliable that is. (Of course the problem may be my translation, but I don't think so - I may not have transmitted the brilliance of Goldt's words, however the literal meaning of the words, maybe without the odd allusion, should come over. Obviously I had my interpretation in mind when translating this.)

PS: Maybe the issue is not so much the translation as it is, but rather that if it's your native language, you can make much more sense also of how the singer emphasises specific words.

I only became aware listening to it for the second time, having already this interpretation in mind, how painful the singing and the sax actually are.
  Sorry for not responding sooner to this, I first saw it pre-coffee, this am and wanted to think on what you'd said a bit more before responding from my usual rising fog.  Now that you bring it to my attention, I can indeed see it as also this.  Kind of reminds me how much poetry has more than one meaning and definitely each person brings their own personal experience into interpreting it.  I like the way you describe the singing and sax, it does convey the mood of the piece perfectly, especially in thinking of it from your viewpoint.  Once again, I learn something new from you.  :)

-------------

Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 17:53
Thanks, Lewian. This has all felt a bit rushed to me. Guess the work-week has flown by, but then I rushed putting together this topic.

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

One More Chance - Fairport Convention sung by Sandy Denny, and the remastered album has a piano version that is even more haunting. The album version appears to be a tribute to her. I always feel like ... she didn't get another chance!

Battered Ornaments/Pete Brown - My Love is Gone Far Away ... a song about the love has gone away with some incredible guitar work. Chris Spedding on guitar!

That Battered Ornaments one is very cool. Love it.

-------------

Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 22:05
SO I put the ones I know of up on the list, if I missed your nomination, please mention it. If I don't have the others in the next hour, then I will fill out the rest of the options tomorrow. Doesn't really matter.

It would help if people without their picks up in the list could post those (even if already mentioned).

I use this format: Artist Name - "Song"

It has felt too rushed, and I rushed my preparation of this topic too much. Don't know if the next poll will be up this Monday, but of course one need not have voted by then.

-------------

Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 23:19
I have not been so active in this poll. I have had busy work week and this playlist wasn't so conducive for me to even have on in the background as I worked. So much sadness! I was pretty much music free this week, so it wasn't just the theme. 

In any case, I'll nominate Chris Cornell "Like a Stone". 

I was leaning toward Nirvana, but after re-listening to the video I posted, it seemed off and the person who posted it on YouTube had altered the pitch in order to avoid the copyright bots. There is another official video on YouTube but it includes about 4 minutes of dialog at the end. Plus, the song is getting a lot of play right now as it is featured, and used to good effect, in the trailer for the new Batman movie. 

Date Posted: September 25 2020 at 23:39

Henry Gross - "Shannon"

So, I don't really know this song, but I know a story related to the song. It was the song that was requested as a long distance dedication that lead to one of the infamous Casey Kasem outtakes. At 0:32 seconds onward.

Warning: some foul language. NSFW.

Then sound collage artists Negativland used it in their "I Still Haven't Found What I Am Looking For (Special Radio Edit Mix)" which is how I first found out about the Casey Kasem outtakes when a friend of mine gave me a copy on tape.

This is all sad, but in a funny pathetic sort of way.  

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 02:18
I guess I'll go with the Young Dubliners "One and Only" as it is the least known of my selections. Plus, I love the song.

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 03:01
Haven't had enough time yet to go through all of the playlist, and probably will not have today either, but at the look of it there is some very interesting music again.

My nomination is: Narciso Yepes - Romance (Jeux interdits)

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 04:11
I choose Anathema - Our Last Goodbye as final nomination. 

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 04:40

Sorry for not responding sooner to this, I first saw it pre-coffee, this am and wanted to think on what you'd said a bit more before responding from my usual rising fog.  Now that you bring it to my attention, I can indeed see it as also this.  Kind of reminds me how much poetry has more than one meaning and definitely each person brings their own personal experience into interpreting it.  I like the way you describe the singing and sax, it does convey the mood of the piece perfectly, especially in thinking of it from your viewpoint.  Once again, I learn something new from you.  :)

I knew you'd respond. Smile And thanks for your reflections!
By the way, re Björk, I think her voice is a unique force of nature, however some of her musical choices are hard to grasp. She has two absolutely stellar tracks apart from I've seen it all in my view, probably both all too well known, but I repost them anyway.

The first one is the one track that I'd put as number one example of human music on one of these spacecrafts that were sent out to testify human existence to extraterrestials. It says perfectly what being human is about... in case the extraterrestials figure out English of course.
The second is maybe the most moving thing I ever saw on TV.

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 07:22

Oh, And Moshkito mentioned a couple, so I will add one of those even if he doesn't choose which he prefers in that time.

Hi,

I have a real hard time selecting ... preferences, or favorites. To me, it makes all the music in the history of "progressive" just another song, and that hurts, when it was fairly obvious at the start that many bands were trying to break the "pop/radio" mold and create something more unique.

To me, PROGRESSIVE is still that, even in a time when formats and commercialism is more important than ever.

I cry on a lot of songs, that mean a lot for me ... if I have one song that stands out more than many, for example, would be FAIRPORT CONVENTION's Reynardine, with Sandy Denny's vocals ... it is just one of the prettiest things ever recorded! The other one I love dearly, and it has a different meaning, is AMON DUUL 2's song Apocalyptic Bore on the VIVE LA TRANCE album, and although the ladies (Baldies) seemed to suggest something quite different, in the end, the song is about the end of the "trip" for the band ... goodbye long cuts and far out jams ... and right after that? A bunch of songs that would fit some adventurous FM band radio station! And from then on, they had very few long pieces to show for their work, and while I still love the band, there is a certain amount of sadness about the romanticism of the earlier version and the incredible albums it put together all the way to the first half of VIVE LA TRANCE ... a term that fits the idea ... since you tend to say that only when something/someone is dead! 

Music for me is a ... an ... inner life ... it is not just a song that I remember the polka dots in the teeny tiny bikini ... if you need an example!

Now you know why some of these polls are so ... far from my tastes and choices ... I don't sit to KS or TD and think this or that ... I do to have a nice internal trip ... that never stops!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 08:30

By the way, re Björk, I think her voice is a unique force of nature, however some of her musical choices are hard to grasp. She has two absolutely stellar tracks apart from I've seen it all in my view, probably both all too well known, but I repost them anyway.

The first one is the one track that I'd put as number one example of human music on one of these spacecrafts that were sent out to testify human existence to extraterrestials. It says perfectly what being human is about... in case the extraterrestials figure out English of course.

Videos removed for space.  Thank you, I will look forward to hearing them once I am settled for the day.  Smile

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 11:00
Wow, those were finalised faster than I expected (had an early night and a late rise).

Here is the Pedro choice (one I knew and loved):

Great choice!

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 11:18
Playlist for the nominees:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-zzvl_w6Fx43kHeV9vA1R9p4Ms_AnpCh" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-zzvl_w6Fx43kHeV9vA1R9p4Ms_AnpCh

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 11:26
I just discovered we can put a playlist in window if I put the "playlist?list=PL-zzvl_w6Fx43kHeV9vA1R9p4Ms_AnpCh" part of the url in the tube tags. 

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 11:27

While I suggested lesser know songs if going for Prog acts, that is not a rule, merely a suggestion. In this case I knew all of them -- I'd go with the Split Enz or Hammill myself. I'm planning to put the poll choices up today, maybe tonight in about six hours so the deadline lurks ominously close.

By the way, here is a rather upbeat, jaunty sounding one which has more morose lyrical content.

Belle and Sebastian - "Get Me Away From Here I Am Dying"

Video removed for space.  Sounds like if The Kinks and Donovan collaborated, they might do something like this.  Very enjoyable listen.  

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 11:34

Thanks, Lewian. This has all felt a bit rushed to me. Guess the work-week has flown by, but then I rushed putting together this topic.

Hi,

That Battered Ornaments one is very cool. Love it.

Sandy Denny, just a jewel, always.  I prefer the second one, as well.  The Battered Ornaments I'd not heard of, love the guitar work on it.  

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 11:36
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

[QUOTE=TCat]I'm surprised this one didn't get on someone's list.  I thought for sure that it would.  Yeah, it might be a bit sappy, but it was a big hit in the states, even when every one found out it was a song about Carl Wilson's (The Beach Boys) dog.  Dog/Pet lovers will need a box of tissue especially if you watch the video.

Henry Gross - "Shannon"

So, I don't really know this song, but I know a story related to the song. It was the song that was requested as a long distance dedication that lead to one of the infamous Casey Kasem outtakes. At 0:32 seconds onward.

Then sound collage artists Negativland used it in their "I Still Haven't Found What I Am Looking For (Special Radio Edit Mix)" which is how I first found out about the Casey Kasem outtakes when a friend of mine gave me a copy on tape.

Interesting, I'd never heard any Casey Kasem outtakes.  :D

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 11:45

Videos removed for space:  I found "Human Behaviour," quite chilling.  She is definitely as interesting to watch as listen to.  Joga is quite beautiful. Again, she is very charismatic, with the orchestra, this is indeed very moving.  I am changing my mind about her and thank you.  Clap

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 11:52

Wow, those were finalised faster than I expected (had an early night and a late rise).

Here is the Pedro choice (one I knew and loved):

Great choice!
  Video removed for space:  A wonderful song, I love this and other versions of it as well.

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 12:00
A bit more upbeat, yet still beautiful version of "Reynardine."  This one features another stellar singer, Jacqui McShee.  

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 16:21
^ Very nice,

Regarding Bjork, "Isobel" has long been my favourite Bjork track (and Joga):

A rather melancholy Beck one that I love:

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 16:36
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain" (Roy Batty, Blade Runner).

With a heavy heart and an even heavier bladder, I'm dejectedly voting now. Sadly, lots I found very good, and I with great sorrow discounted the ones that I sadly already knew which I sadly appreciated, and I shall sadly vote for three now.

Weyes Blood - "Wild Time"
Tenhi - "Surunuotta"
Antony & the Johnsons - "The Lake"

I am saddest of all because I can only vote for three.

Thanks to everyone who has participated.

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 17:07

Playlist for the nominees:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-zzvl_w6Fx43kHeV9vA1R9p4Ms_AnpCh" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-zzvl_w6Fx43kHeV9vA1R9p4Ms_AnpCh

Great!

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 17:39
First part.

1) Death with dignity. Guitar arpeggio similar to that of Simon & Garfunkel. Tender song rather than sad, in my opinion. Nice

2) I don't know this group, and I don't search the net. Is the voice from an African American? I think so. It is highly expressive, hypersensitive. The mood is mournful, a bluesy, made symphonic by the strings, but it's not really sad, I would say rather melancholy. Still it is a great performance, a conventional melodic song beautiful for melody and singing. Podium candidate

3) Weyes Blood. Melodic, acoustic ballad, with an arrangement between the symphonic and the psychedelic. With a dream singing, it gives me a certain energy and serenity, on a musical level. Pleasant and relaxing.

4) One Last Goodbye. Slow ballad with a melancholy mood, which becomes powerful then in the chorus, although they sing I Still Feel the Pain, if I understand correctly. It's a good song, which I would put between the electric rock ballads of a group that I suppose is hard rock or heavy metal. Maybe he gives me too much energy and power to get on the podium, we'll see.

5) Chris Cornell was a big loss. Superunknown is my favorite hard rock / heavy metal album, and already there he gave his best when he wrote the less heavy ballads, and here he gives his best in a very well sung acoustic melodic ballad. As a mood I feel disappointment mixed with anger. Podium candidate.

6) One and Only. Another group I don't know. I share the youtube commentator: powerful song, with very heavy metal moments. Definitely angry song, but anger is one of the ways to react to sadness, without feeling it. The three basic emotions are: sadness, anger and fear. Then, depending on the classifications, you can reach 7 emotions with disgust, surprise, contempt, joy. All the others are similar to these sects. Moreover, if we consider disgust and contempt as a sub-category of anger, there are 5 left, and surprise as an emotion is less significant than the others, so there are 4 left. Hmmm what am I saying? Nice song, very hard rock, but I doubt it will make it to the podium.

7) Surunuotta. Classical acoustic song, but with a particular mood because it goes beyond sadness, it is a typically oriental contemplative sadness. Simple but very refined. Candidate for the podium.

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 17:51

A bit more upbeat, yet still beautiful version of "Reynardine."  This one features another stellar singer, Jacqui McShee. 

That's a nice rendition, but it misses the dark intent resident in the Sandy Denny version. I still get a thrill when Sandy voices "His teeth did brightly shine" and you can feel the malice of the werefox Reynardine. Yes, a werefox. At least one adaptation of the Roud indexed English ballad casts Reynardine as a werefox, in any case. Perhaps drawing from the French fabliaux of the cunning trickster Reynard the Fox.

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 18:00

That's a nice rendition, but it misses the dark intent resident in the Sandy Denny version. I still get a thrill when Sandy voices "His teeth did brightly shine" and you can feel the malice of the werefox Reynardine. Yes, a werefox. At least one adaptation of the Roud indexed English ballad casts Reynardine as a werefox, in any case. Perhaps drawing from the French fabliaux of the cunning trickster Reynard the Fox.
  I agree, it's much lighter.  A cautionary tale, indeed, as so many of these are.  Be careful out there!  Makes me also think of the folklore of the Trickster (Coyote) in Native American folklore, these tricky, smart creatures in various forms cross many cultures.

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 18:15

Henry Gross - "Shannon"

Videos removed for space issues.

I was aware of that story and the Kasem outtake.  He just kind of flew off the handle there, didn't he?

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 18:23
1. Weyes Blood - "Wild Time"
2. Sebastian - "De grå katte"
3. Ray LaMontagne - "All the Wild Horses"

There were some excellent selections once again, and I almost hate to vote in the end because I don't like having to eliminate all of the great entries.  It makes me so depressed, despondent and sad.  I'm so sorry everyone, I wish you could all be winners.  I think I'll go listen to the list again just to cheer up.   

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 18:32

Hi,

A nice version, but the thing that makes the FC version work so well, is RT's guitar ... it's just as good as Sandy's voice in the song.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 18:45

Hi,

A nice version, but the thing that makes the FC version work so well, is RT's guitar ... it's just as good as Sandy's voice in the song.
  Big fan of Mr Thompson as well, so I hear what you are saying.  Many people have covered this song and in different ways, which was my only intention, not to try to take away at all from FC's gorgeous version.  I think it's interesting that the same piece can come across quite differently, when approached from a different angle.  

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk