Forum Description: Talk with and get feedback from other musicians on the site
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=128776
Printed Date: May 14 2024 at 16:43
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Collaborative music project ?
Posted By: Davesax1965
Subject: Collaborative music project ?
Date Posted: April 05 2022 at 02:51
I know this isn't going to work..... ;-)

How about a collaborative music section on PA ? 

We all complain about the lack of new music, and the lack of decent musicians to play with. Yet here we are on a board full of musicians, all with internet connections, dropboxes, video links....... 

Yes, there are other music collaboration sites on the internet, but not prog ones. If anything's going to happen, here's a good place to make it happen. 

What do we all think ? "Have Mellotron, seek others ? " 

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: nick_h_nz
Date Posted: April 05 2022 at 03:01
You’re probably right, but how awesome would it be if you were wrong? 🤗

I’d definitely be up for hearing the results of a PA collaboration….

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: April 05 2022 at 03:17
I think it sounds great.   I'm not an active player anymore, but many here are.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: April 05 2022 at 05:16
Sign me up as lyricist. Thumbs Up

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: April 05 2022 at 06:29
Dibs on producer.

Posted By: yogev
Date Posted: April 05 2022 at 08:36
I would love to participate if it will actually happened.

Date Posted: April 06 2022 at 03:25
Me too. ;-)

I've done a few collab projects before and released compilation albums from other artists. 

Where it usually falls apart is when everyone uses different equipment or doesn't know how to record a track properly. 

I've got a website doing nothing, so I might convert it into a progressive rock collaborative music site. What I do is - 

Record basic track(s) using Reaper
Other players get to download the rendered track(s)
They create a new project in Reaper - same time signature and BPM
Record their contribution onto a separate track - no effects
Render just that track and send it back. 

Somehow this seems technically beyond a lot of people. ;-) 
The arguments generally start when you either get three bassists, or one guitarist doesn't like what the keyboard player is doing, of course. ;-) 

If interested - drop me a DM with your e-mail address in and I'll respond in kind. ;-)

If you can't improvise or don't know one key signature from another, this may be a little "big boys" for you, though. ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2022 at 03:31
One thing I'll absolutely insist on, though - 

NO MONEY 
Strictly a free release. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2022 at 09:27
I think the way to do it is to set up a site, put some example tracks on and then ask for people to audition. 

So that's what I'll do. Don't wait up, though, I've got a hectic diary the next few weekends. Or so Mrs F informs me. ;-) 

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2022 at 17:44
So, as PA Collaborators official (or non-existent) lyricist and evil genius behind the camera, I'm proposing a concept album of sorts.
Working title - The Beasts Bite Back
Overview of concept - Betrayals and Misjudgements

-------------

Posted By: PaulG
Date Posted: April 06 2022 at 18:08
Excellent idea. I haven’t played a note on my Gibson SG in over 10 years. This would be a good excuse to pick it up and play again. I would need to obtain some recording equipment and it would be well worth it. I’ve been looking for an excuse to pick up my axe. I miss playing. It’s never to late.

Date Posted: April 07 2022 at 02:19
Let me explain what one of the big hurdles is with doing a project like this: apart from all the peccadillos of dealing with other musicians, you have to find someone who can play an instrument to a high standard, thinks along the same lines as you do ........

..... and knows how to use a DAW. More specifically, the DAW you're using. And can use it well. 

Musicians tend to record using a bewildering variety of equipment, so you'll get someone with the latest version of Cubase on one hand, and someone else with an old Portastudio on the other. With everything inbetween. 

With this in mind, working collaboratively, you have to insist on everyone using one DAW, in my case, the latest version of Reaper. DAW's are not always easy to set up or use, and you really need a lot of experience to get the best out of them. 

For example, if I said "Here's the keyboard part, 4/4, 104 bpm, project file is <here> - download it, bass comes in at bar 120, finishes bar 156, record the bass track from that point and send the individual bass part back, no other tracks, with no effects in WAV format.... " most musicians are going to go eh ? 

There isn't time to give someone a tutorial, either they can do it or they can't. 

Invariably, you get a bass part coming back which has been very badly recorded and distorts to hell and back. 

So there's another hurdle to get over. You can have the best musicians in the world, but if they're technically incompetent, nothing goes anywhere. You can't learn how to use a DAW overnight, it takes a long, long time to get the best out of one. 

You have to have one person used to producing music who's highly skilled in DAW use who oversees everything. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 07 2022 at 02:19
And this is what I use. I actually prefer it to Cubase. 

And it's free. 

https://www.reaper.fm/

-------------

Posted By: Necrotica
Date Posted: April 07 2022 at 02:27
Count me in as a keyboardist or vocalist Big smile

-------------
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd

Date Posted: April 07 2022 at 02:30
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

So, as PA Collaborators official (or non-existent) lyricist and evil genius behind the camera, I'm proposing a concept album of sorts.

JD, I hate to break it to you gently, but I don't think any album in the history of prog rock has been written by a lyricist. ;-) 

I don't do lyrics and I really don't do vocals. For a laugh once, I put up an advert on a vocalist forum asking for a lyricist to help put lyrics to an existing song. All I got back was rubbish. Someone, for example, thought that rhyming "smoke" with "Coke" made him a lyricist. ;-) 

The way musical creativity works in a group is that everyone plays off each other's musical ideas and sometimes a song pops out of the end of it. Most of the time, musicians don't have any musical ideas beyond a blues 1-4-5 and nothing comes out. 

If something does, then you add the lyrics. ;-) 

-------------

Date Posted: April 07 2022 at 02:31
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Thank God for that, no one wants to hear me sing. ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: April 07 2022 at 02:37
This is why auditions are essential. 

"Just send me a track back with some ideas in it." 

And either someone can or can't. So there's the technical bit of the audition. 

You then reach the hurdle of "Musicians who can't improvise, or can only do so in a pentatonic minor. 

Try this. 
 F G G# B D

Improvise. ;-)

Actually, it's the notes from The Glorious Om Riff by Steve Hillage. In G. So it's nothing like a pentatonic or blues scale. You'll find that most musicians can not get their heads around improvising in unconventional scales as they spent most of their time playing tab, and not doing things like interval training. 

So. Two major hurdles. One, find the musician. Two. Find the musician with enough skills to improvise out of the box. 

-------------

Posted By: Ronstein
Date Posted: April 07 2022 at 03:46
I'll try and put a lead guitar on that chord sequence (no promises though!!)

Date Posted: April 07 2022 at 03:51
;-)
Right, that's my $0.02.

What I'll do is get the old content scrubbed off my website and put up some information there. Unfortunately, I'm honestly massively busy with other things, but I'll post the URL here when it's all set up. Everything will be explained on the website, so anyone interested, get in touch. ;-)

Open ended offer. There's a lot of talent here on PA, so why not use it ? We all complain about the lack of new music and lack of opportunities for musicians to jam with each other.... here we are, 21st century, all the technology there on a forum full of prog musicians. So let's give it a go. ;-)

I'm not stopping anyone else trying this, either. ;-) In fact, if we could ask the admins for a "collaborative music section" on PA, sort of a musician's dating board, that'd be very useful. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 07 2022 at 07:46
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

JD, I hate to break it to you gently, but I don't think any album in the history of prog rock has been written by a lyricist. ;-) 

I don't do lyrics and I really don't do vocals. For a laugh once, I put up an advert on a vocalist forum asking for a lyricist to help put lyrics to an existing song. All I got back was rubbish. Someone, for example, thought that rhyming "smoke" with "Coke" made him a lyricist. ;-) 

The way musical creativity works in a group is that everyone plays off each other's musical ideas and sometimes a song pops out of the end of it. Most of the time, musicians don't have any musical ideas beyond a blues 1-4-5 and nothing comes out. 

If something does, then you add the lyrics. ;-) 

Clearly you missed my point. It all starts with an idea. Something that can anchor the musicians into a common place. That being said, I was going to post the question about how you envision the process unfolding. I've been involved with recording/production enough to know that most songs begin with a lick or melody that needs to be developed. Some begin with lyrics that need the melody to support that. Some begin with a rhythm that sparks the melody and in turn draws out the lyrics. To suggest that NO album ever began with lyrics is naive. I'm pretty sure Jim Morrison wrote his lyrics (poems) and the band supported them with their music, yes?
But hey, this is your project so you are certainly free to approach it any way you want.
So...what's your plan Stan?

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2022 at 02:25
Ha, well, well. many ways to skin a cat, JD. ;-) 

I shall retract my hasty comment. ;-)

Oh God, do I have to have a plan ? Well, I'll switch the synth on and see what comes out of it. If you've heard my stuff, I generally do Arabic / Middle eastern sounding stuff, generally weird scales, so I'll just put that on the website (eventually) and anyone who wants to contribute is more than welcome to send me something. 

So, no plan, really. I just like leaving things to evolve. As you say, it all starts with an idea...... ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: April 12 2022 at 02:00
Just out of interest: I was going to do some Bob Calvert covers..... anyone here sing like Bob ? 

(And actually have a recording setup, singing into phones doesn't count.... ;-) ) 

-------------

Date Posted: April 12 2022 at 05:13
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=128809" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=128809

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 12 2022 at 09:21

Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Thank God for that, no one wants to hear me sing. ;-)

Hi,

Why do you have to sing? 

Just do words, a sort of Robert Wyatt, and fly on the words alone as poetry.

to be honest, I'm sick and tired of singers. You would think that most of them would learn something BEYOND the notes, and the only real answer is ... no chance!

Make us cry and smile ... not because of the notes, but the quality of the words and how they are spoken or stated. It may have an amount of musicality to it, but sometimes, it is not necessary! Once we get off the idea of the "singer" and move on, I think any voice is just as good as the next. 

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 13 2022 at 06:36
(facepalm)

-------------

Date Posted: April 13 2022 at 07:30

(facepalm)

Hi,

Not necessary. You've proved a lot with your amount of work. And singing, or word'ing (as I call it) is not something that you have given enough of a chance or tried. 

Just recently, I redid that Ygdrasil Poetry Magazine's monthly that I put together in May 1999 and I had to redo my own 2 poems. I have not liked my voice in these things, although when I read things out it feels alright. So I played the piece of music (with permission from the writer and author!!!) and redid the poems I originally had, and decided to concentrate on the words, and apply them better to the flow of the music ... and it came out way better than I thought, and the voice, "lived" well with the words, and it probably helped that this time, I "ditched" the poem idea, and just went into it with "total emotion" ... which fit things way better than before.

(.... https://www.academia.edu/73832614/Ygdrasil_JULY_2022_Audio_ISSUE_Edited_by_Pedro_Sena ... )

Sometimes, the "idea" of singing is the problem, because one thinks it needs this or that ... and if you throw that away, go to the bathroom and say the words to the mirror while shaving, you won't become Harry Secombe, and don't have to, but you will in due course find a way for the words to flow that sounds alright ... and is much better, and not weird, as you thinking of singing something!

Try it ... some improvisation actually works, on voice, even though musicians are so married to their scales they can't even move without getting slapped in the face for looking at another ... scale. (PDQ Bach joke!)

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 13 2022 at 09:07
Mosh - "wanted, singer"
means "singer wanted".

If I wanted something other than a singer, I'd ask for it. :-)

Thanks for the input, though. 

-------------

Posted By: Megistus
Date Posted: January 30 2023 at 13:48
Hello Dave and all...

I'm a newb, but it didn't take long to realize that this forum is chock full of musicians and other creatives... goes with the territory for sure!

Anyway... so found this part of the forum, and then this thread.

Just wondering if anything came of this?

Speaking of Reaper, NINJAM is an interesting way to jam, if anyone's familiar with it? It takes a bit of getting used to and it's not the same as being in a room, but definitely a way that creative ideas can be hatched.

Posted By: MortSahlFan
Date Posted: August 11 2023 at 11:26
I use Audacity Audacity 3.2.1
(someone I know uses another program, and the alignment is screwed up)

What I'd like to do is send a drum track with some "skin" (rhythm piano/guitar) and then have people add on to it.. Have a few different versions. I've done it, and the more you work together, the more better it becomes in every way. WeTransfer.com is a great free site I use where you can send files back and forth.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

Date Posted: August 11 2023 at 22:25
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

I use Audacity Audacity 3.2.1
(someone I know uses another program, and the alignment is screwed up)

What I'd like to do is send a drum track with some "skin" (rhythm piano/guitar) and then have people add on to it.. Have a few different versions. I've done it, and the more you work together, the more better it becomes in every way. WeTransfer.com is a great free site I use where you can send files back and forth.

Ideally, there shouldn't be any alignment problems between DAWs if things are done right.

Exporting tracks in mp3 can be a problem since mp3s do not have accurate start/end times. flac or wav is best.

Many DAWs do automatic time-stretching to project tempo, which can have weird results with files that aren't loops (and often hard to detect just by listening). As long as this behaviour is turned off when tracks are imported, there shouldn't be any problems.

Much as I respect Audacity as a very capable program, and excellent considering it's free, I couldn't personally see myself doing any in-depth production with it. I do use it for certain things, but most people have their own preferences for DAW and tend to get used to what they're working with. Hence cross-platform import/export is a must really.

Posted By: Frets N Worries
Date Posted: August 12 2023 at 10:56
I'm not sure I could contribute anything, I like writing lyrics, but I'm not great LOL, I'm not sure I could help in any way, shape or form, but this would be great to hear!

-------------
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: August 12 2023 at 16:10
I have a feeling that if I were to contribute to this, I would be summarily dismissed because my thoughts are kind of "out there." Unless this group is interested in making a wall-of-sound instrumental of noise about giant ducks that smell like libraries? 

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 12 2023 at 17:35

Just to interject, I would suggest, in a wholly formative and abstract manner, Peter Sinfield. He even came up with the name "King Crimson".

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: August 12 2023 at 19:00
I would offer that Instrumental thing I made, but it's already slated for a spotify release (as a demo) and I'm planning to use it for personal use. Any other way I can be useful, message me

-------------
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Date Posted: August 17 2023 at 06:25
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Just to interject, I would suggest, in a wholly formative and abstract manner, Peter Sinfield. He even came up with the name "King Crimson".

The Poetess that wrote a lot of stuff for RENAISSANCE.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: January 24 2024 at 08:39
A shame that nothing ever came out of this, it could be very interesting. People could use a site like Bandlab to create it as well. I really hoped this would happen

-------------

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: January 24 2024 at 15:43
Anybody using mixcraft? We could start with somebody making a single instrument track, about 3 minutes long. Let's say a drumloop. Then the first bassist who lands in this thread adds his bass line, then guitar, keys, vocals and so on. Let's limit it to no more than 8 tracks in total and see what we can produce.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: January 24 2024 at 17:06
Then if this works out, we could make an album, now that would be really fun!

I'd happily write lyrics, but I am no vocalist. 

What software should we use? 

Bandlab or Mixcraft? 

They seem to be pretty similar, Bandlab you can have multiple people working on the same song at once, all contributors, it's pretty cool. That way you don't have to send audio files to people via email or PM here and such. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 24 2024 at 17:34
Funny - I just joined bandlab yesterday -- I was actually trying to sneak a backdoor into the old legacy cakewalk forums, but that didn't pan out.... so obviously this was the real reason, little did I know!

My main instrument is guitar, but can do a bit of everything... well, I mean: bass, drums, synths, programming, production... can even sing reasonably although it depends on the material :)

Who's gonna start us off? I could assemble a pretty nice drum track around 3 mins... are we staying 'prog' or what?

Who's on-board any what instruments do you play?

Date Posted: January 24 2024 at 17:35
I'll happily start us off, PM me if you'd like in, I can send people the link

-------------

Date Posted: January 24 2024 at 17:36
I can make a thread on 'Get the Word Out' as well

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2024 at 11:33
OK, so Frets n Worries has very kindly kicked things off by creating a project on bandlab.

I'm new to bandlab so just learning the ropes...

For now, I've thrown in some drum loops and 3 guitar riffs that came to mind as starting points. There's no arrangement at this stage.

Riff #1 is actually 5/4 time, but fits into 10 bars over 4/4 time (40 beats)
key is C Lydian

...then we have a switch to 4/4 with a two bar lead in, then...

Riff #2, still C lydian

followed by Riff #3, in Am (natural)

Just ideas, and my playing's a bit wobbly, but it's a start :) Equally if anyone has any better ideas, feel free to come forward as I'm not claiming to have any idea what I'm dong!!

Here's a quick mixdown (actually it's from my Reaper session, not bandlab): https://audio.com/audiobabble/audio/first-riffs-mixdown" rel="nofollow - https://audio.com/audiobabble/audio/first-riffs-mixdown

If anyone's interested in contributing, shoot Frets a quick PM for an invite link.

Date Posted: January 25 2024 at 11:36
JD (or anyone else), unless you want to do lyrics, I can write some

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2024 at 11:49
I can imagine that first 5/4 section being a suitable under-pinning for some vocals... kind of like a verse. The other two are more instrumental sections.  It might need a 'chorus', if we want to be all 'conventional' about it :)
Lyrics at this early stage might really help with cementing more of an arrangement... so yeah, bring 'em !

Date Posted: January 25 2024 at 13:25
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

JD (or anyone else), unless you want to do lyrics, I can write some
Always happy to collaborate. So let's stat with the theme, song name or mood to get my juices flowin' ! Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2024 at 14:27
Let's see... song name.. song name, that's tricky, here's some ideas:

Memories from an Imaginary Dream
Answers from the Whirlwind
Eastern Numbers
The Dream is Broken
Graveyards in the Snow
Hole in the Wall

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: January 25 2024 at 14:30
First title that came into my head:

"Behold the Sorrow of My Mournful Eyes and Rejoice!"

Date Posted: January 25 2024 at 14:31
^that would be a great opening line, if not a song title

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: January 25 2024 at 14:33
^ It might work for a post-rock or avant-garde metal song.

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: January 25 2024 at 14:35
How about... PA (Broken) Project in the Snow, for the title?

Date Posted: January 25 2024 at 14:39

Memories from an Imaginary Dream
Answers from the Whirlwind
Eastern Numbers
The Dream(s) is Broken
Graveyards in the Snow
Hole in the Wall
So...Memories From My Eastern Dreams In The Snow

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2024 at 14:39
^something like that I suppose

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2024 at 15:30
I'm using Mixcraft since 2020 and I've never tried a different DAW, but I can import an mp3, add a track and mix down to mp3. Iguess all the DAWs can do it, so which tool we are going to use shouldn't be a problem.
Is anybody keeping track of what we are doing?

Is there anything ready for me to add guitar, bass or synth?

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2024 at 15:38
I can PM you the tracking on bandlab, feel free to add stuff to it

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2024 at 01:45
^Got it.

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2024 at 03:22
Originally posted by Megistus Megistus wrote:

Funny - I just joined bandlab yesterday -- I was actually trying to sneak a backdoor into the old legacy cakewalk forums, but that didn't pan out.... so obviously this was the real reason, little did I know!

HI,

Hmmmm ... the Coffee House Band is long dead and gone. 

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: January 26 2024 at 03:25
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

HI,

"Behold the Sorrow of My Mournful Ears when I put this plug from the blue wire in this slot and then ... Rejoice!"

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: January 26 2024 at 07:55
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hmmmm ... the Coffee House Band is long dead and gone. 

Don't get the reference... but I was trying to search for posts by an old user named Yep on the old cakewalk forums. He did some great posts on the subjects of recording, mixing and mastering many years ago. Unfortunately, the old forum is locked and you can't search for a particular user without a login... and you can't get a login cos it's locked!

Now if he'd had a fairly unique user name, I could just use google, but people say 'yep' quite a lot on forums :)

Date Posted: January 26 2024 at 09:23
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I like that, as a title and/or a line Smile

Date Posted: January 26 2024 at 10:32
Lyrics...an opening salvo.

Burning boats on waves that crash

Leaves a wake of scattered ash

Scale a mountain on its ledge

In dreams of eastern snow

Dive to earth through wind that rushes

Plunge to depths where pressure crushes

Waking fears approach the edge

My dreams of eastern snow

-------------

Posted By: GUD77
Date Posted: January 26 2024 at 11:09
This sounds like a really interesting project. I could record real acoustic drums if needed, tho im working on a solo project so I'm a bit inactive. I'm also no expert when it comes to playing & mixing but i'd be glad to help!

Date Posted: January 26 2024 at 16:31
I have tried bandlab for the very first time today and it's quite easy to use, don't worry.

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2024 at 19:46
^Glad to hear it!

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2024 at 05:52

Nice one JD!

These lyrics inspired me to jam a bit on guitar.

https://audio.com/audiobabble/audio/dreams-of-eastern-snow" rel="nofollow - https://audio.com/audiobabble/audio/dreams-of-eastern-snow

The softer part from 1:00 onward is where I thought the words might fit...

I've started a 2nd project on bandlab now

If anyone wants an invite, shoot me a PM.

Date Posted: January 27 2024 at 06:56
At this rate, we should just make an album!

I'm glad to see people interested

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2024 at 12:10

Nice one JD!

These lyrics inspired me to jam a bit on guitar.

https://audio.com/audiobabble/audio/dreams-of-eastern-snow" rel="nofollow - https://audio.com/audiobabble/audio/dreams-of-eastern-snow

The softer part from 1:00 onward is where I thought the words might fit...

I've started a 2nd project on bandlab now

If anyone wants an invite, shoot me a PM.

Count me in, you have my address

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2024 at 12:20
Lyrics...More ammunition

I wake up very morning to face a brand new day

Wondering what the world at large is going to throw my way

A raging boss that’s lost their mind

Or daily commuters, I swear are blind

I think of dreams to pacify, unsettled alpha waves

Images I buried deep, organic hard drive saves

They float me down a river bank

I raise my hands so I can thank

My Eastern Dreams In The Snow

If I cand send my spirit there, become one with the source

Shedding mortal coil with defiant show of force

I’d walk in dreams on astral plains

That stretch on endlessly

My Eastern Dreams In The Snow

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2024 at 13:14
I've added an organ background to the last part of the track plus a chord progression afetr the end of the guitar track just to try increasing the track length. Feel free to delete it, in total or in part.

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2024 at 13:27
RE: song #2.  I'm thinking to add some flute or cello to the middle part and an acoustic guitar background to the third.
We need a drummer, I think.

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2024 at 14:23
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

RE: song #2.  I'm thinking to add some flute or cello to the middle part and an acoustic guitar background to the third.
We need a drummer, I think.

Sounds good, invite link sent.

A drummer would be cool.

I also have a huge amount of very good drums samples, live played MIDI, fills -- the whole lot with Superior Drummer 3 if needed... 

but real drummer is coolest :)

Date Posted: January 27 2024 at 15:00
If we do a 3rd song, I'll happily write the lyrics for it. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2024 at 15:16
Hey, I dont have audiolabs but if you guys want real drums I can try recording some if anyone has an mp3 of a song they can send.

Date Posted: January 27 2024 at 15:48
Originally posted by GUD77 GUD77 wrote:

Hey, I dont have audiolabs but if you guys want real drums I can try
recording some if anyone has an mp3 of a song they can send.

That could be the basis of a 3rd song, please do! That sounds great, thank you

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2024 at 17:22
Lyrics for song No. 3, Titled, 'Carry On':

And still, You..

Go
Remember the time
Stay
Please Make up your mind
I said NO!
Don’t tell me what to do!
Then stay

Lay down your life,
Surrender
You’ll take a bit of me with you
But I’ll carry on
And write another song
Because if I can’t ride into
forever
How Will I survive?

My power into a memory
Gone, and forgotten
It used to be in harmony
Now only shattered
Pray, and Carry on men,
Carry on

I can’t be with you anymore
My Time has come
Life has opened a final door
Goodbye

Fantasy
A Dream within a Dream
What for?
The yearnings of a dream
Cracked, and burning
Under you, and now you’ve got
Nothing left to stand on
Except your own desires,
Through fragments of a dream
Conscious no more
Forever silenced

Autobiographical notions that
Quiet my screams
You are the only one who
Knows what this means

And still, You
(x5)

But why do I pretend?
I’m an actor, I’ve always got an
Ulterior motive
You’ve made me pack my bags to get on the locomotive
Train to climb the hills to the west so with my final breath
I die

And Still
You

Deep throated vocals of a time long past
Far above the melee and moral bombast
Ritualistic mornings crafted of gold
Who is our God whom you have extolled?

Dark Twisted poems that plague this page
Open the book you unwanted sage,
Tear out the pages you’ve turned with your hands
Yellowed and aging like your favorite bands
The cross that is hanging over your bed
Is a sign of better things on the horizon
Prayer and lyrics that quiet my brain
More of the former need be the same
A moment of silence for those we have lost
The Lamb dies down on an old rugged cross

And although I’m brighter than many
You’re a rhinestone my friend, not a diamond
And maybe I’m not your knight in shining armor,
I’m just some loser in a tin-foil cap

Even you know everything thing you touch
Will never turn to gold

For you, Carry on Men,
Carry On

-------------

Date Posted: January 28 2024 at 05:46

Lyrics for song No. 3, Titled, 'Carry On':
Wow! Quite the epic :)

Well, once again I was inspired, and my guitar did this:

https://www.bandlab.com/post/723c05cc-d9bd-ee11-b660-000d3a428b97" rel="nofollow - https://www.bandlab.com/post/723c05cc-d9bd-ee11-b660-000d3a428b97

So... song #3 project created on bandlab. Will send invites to all co-conspirators. 

PM me if anyone else wants to get on board.

I think what we need now is arrangement (not my strong suit!).

Date Posted: January 28 2024 at 06:01

Lyrics...More ammunition

Thank JD!  Good stuff, I look forward to revisiting what I did and expand it further with what you've contributed.

At the moment this is like a big open jam, lots of inspiration flowing... I love it :)

Date Posted: January 28 2024 at 06:11

I think what we need now is arrangement (not my strong suit!).

Oh I can arrange things, I just need more instruments to work with. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 28 2024 at 09:15
I have removed the extra chord progression from the organ track on song #1. Too trivial and useless. I' better let somebody else decide the melodic line

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2024 at 21:17
That's cool...

I really like what you did on song \2 with the synth, nice!

I have some work to do this week, but hope to get back to looking at these tunes soon, certainly by the weekend.

Peace :)

Date Posted: February 01 2024 at 05:19
Should we just focus on one song At a time?

-------------

Date Posted: February 01 2024 at 07:24
I have no problems in "working in parallel". My original idea was to put no more than one track each on each song, but why putting limits to creativity? I think we can do multiple tracks at a time. Instead, I'm thinking about driving the process. I suggest that the author of the initial track has the right to cut/paste/delete/modify what comes. Changes can be discussed, but this is part of the normal process of composing when in a band. An idea can be accepted or rejected, or accepted in part.

Let's see what happens. 

P.S: - may I have an invite to song #3?

-------------

Date Posted: February 01 2024 at 07:38
^Sounds good to me. By all means, people can go haywire with what they come up with. (we still need a vocalist) 

-------------

Date Posted: February 01 2024 at 08:57
Well, the initial burst of creativity seems to have spawned 3 tunes... I wouldn't want to start any more at this stage definitely.

All 3 are at a pretty embryonic stage, and I personally feel it would be nice to get an idea of structure for each, as in: how's it going to run start-to-finish? What other musical elements may be needed?

I was hoping to have a look at all three from that point of view, and I think at the moment I could contribute to all three in that sense.

But after that... I'd say yeah: one song at a time is a good plan!

Date Posted: February 03 2024 at 15:04
Three different songs with some bridges to connect them have made Atom Heart Mother some years ago. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 04 2024 at 10:50

P.S: - may I have an invite to song #3?

But of course!  PM sent :)

Date Posted: February 04 2024 at 13:23
I have someone in mind for vocals, but want to wait until things are a bit more together. Even if it's just for one track... she's a great singer - almost androgynous voice, maybe somewhere between Geddy Lee and Grace Slick!
Not sure if she's into prog as-such, but would be nice to have something fairly nice to entice her with! She collaborates on bandlab already so that's hopeful at least.

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: February 04 2024 at 17:38

Eastern Numbers

You mean the early working title for "Awaken" by Yes?  Wink

Date Posted: February 04 2024 at 17:39
^Shhhhh that's definitely not where I got that from

-------------

Date Posted: February 04 2024 at 17:40

^Shhhhh that's definitely not where I got that from

LOL Beer

Date Posted: February 04 2024 at 18:44
Interested to hear what you all come up with.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: February 08 2024 at 06:38
Re: song #3

I think an organ in Niacin style would fit well, but I'm not sure to be skilled enough for a thing like that. I'm not a keyboardist. In case I'm brave enough t attempt, or anybody else comes in, I suggest making your guitar and drums tracks a bit longer. I'd wait some bars before the organ enters.

I see no other mates are joining the first two tracks. No more volunteers? I'm avoiding adding other stuff to the first two tracks in order to let to others enough room to add their ideas.

-------------

Date Posted: February 08 2024 at 06:56

Re: song #3

I think an organ in Niacin style would fit well, but I'm not sure to be skilled enough for a thing like that. I'm not a keyboardist. In case I'm brave enough t attempt, or anybody else comes in, I suggest making your guitar and drums tracks a bit longer. I'd wait some bars before the organ enters.

I see no other mates are joining the first two tracks. No more volunteers? I'm avoiding adding other stuff to the first two tracks in order to let to others enough room to add their ideas.

I'm busy working on a second album right now, but I'll see what I can contribute

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2024 at 12:08
I heard the synth part on Dreams of eastern snow and combined with the guitar I think it sounds a lot more like Space Rock. Il see if I can record some drums for it over the weekend.

Date Posted: February 14 2024 at 12:19

I heard the synth part on Dreams of eastern snow and combined with the guitar I think it sounds a lot more like Space Rock. Il see if I can record some drums for it over the weekend.

Guilty as charged! Space rock is my vibe I have to admit :)

I still haven't found time to really arrange much of a piece out of it... but cool if u want to try something that would be great.

Date Posted: February 14 2024 at 12:23

Guilty as charged! Space rock is my vibe I have to admit :)

I still haven't found time to really arrange much of a piece out of it... but cool if u want to try something that would be great.

If people record some bits, I can arrange things

-------------

Posted By: MortSahlFan
Date Posted: February 14 2024 at 14:25
I've been reading this thread off and on for a while and think it's a great idea and hope more musicians can throw in the pot.

If anyone is interested, I could upload the isolated drums file. I always liked how I recorded these, stereo, but two different mics, and always wanted music on top, but I did upload a song with bass and sax. It could use some guitar (and whatever else).

My one problem would be finding the chords! I'd have to hop on the piano and try to figure it out, which would probably take a while.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

Posted By: Valdez1
Date Posted: February 14 2024 at 14:53

I've been reading this thread off and on for a while and think it's a great idea and hope more musicians can throw in the pot.

If anyone is interested, I could upload the isolated drums file. I always liked how I recorded these, stereo, but two different mics, and always wanted music on top, but I did upload a song with bass and sax. It could use some guitar (and whatever else).

My one problem would be finding the chords! I'd have to hop on the piano and try to figure it out, which would probably take a while.

Im Game!

You can email me the drums as a wav. file because I use NCH Mixpad.  Or send them as working files 

(I might be able to open em.)

It would be nice if you could make a separate Wav. for your drum tracks, and a separate wav. for your layered music.  Just the two.      

If you send the whole mix as a wav. I can work with it too, but there is not a whole lot of room left.

I spied a little magic in your style at 3:00 to 3:35 or so, Maybe I could expound on that nice riffing there.

It would be fun.

New to this thread. Was active here many years ago and just came back!
Looking to collaborate in some way.

[email protected]   My Name is Rick.

Date Posted: February 14 2024 at 15:45
Good to hear about Space Rock. Before trying to add anything to the three tracks I'd like to wait for others to join in. As soon as I can I'll add the organ track, but my intention is to just give an idea of what I mean waiting for a proper keyboardist to replace it.

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2024 at 16:26

This is good stuff!

Sounds like song #4  (as you probably know we already have 3 embryonic song ideas on bandlab)

I like the drum recording, nice open jazzy feel.

Date Posted: February 14 2024 at 16:28
Originally posted by Valdez1 Valdez1 wrote:

Im Game!

You can email me the drums as a wav. file because I use NCH Mixpad.  Or send them as working files 

(I might be able to open em.)

It would be nice if you could make a separate Wav. for your drum tracks, and a separate wav. for your layered music.  Just the two.      

If you send the whole mix as a wav. I can work with it too, but there is not a whole lot of room left.

I spied a little magic in your style at 3:00 to 3:35 or so, Maybe I could expound on that nice riffing there.

It would be fun.

New to this thread. Was active here many years ago and just came back!
Looking to collaborate in some way.

[email protected]   My Name is Rick.

Hey Rick!  Do keep us all informed of what you do with this tune. I'm happy to contribute guitar and/or mixing skills.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk