Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=130370
Printed Date: May 17 2024 at 19:00
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Le prog québecois
Posted By: BrufordFreak
Subject: Le prog québecois
Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 09:36
Which of these 1970s prog bands from Québec is your favorite?

Any comments on any of these bands are very welcome.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Replies:
Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 09:48
Harmonium is the only one I know. Embarrassed

Posted By: David_D
Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 09:51

Harmonium - Les Cinq Saisons  Thumbs Up

-------------
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond

Posted By: VianaProghead
Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 10:48
Harmonium.

-------------
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 10:49
Sloche. Maneige a close second. Harmonium also brilliant a close third.

Other faves Et Cetera, Pollen, Octobre, Opus-5

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 10:50
I only know 3 bands here, so I don't think I can vote. 

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 10:59
Harmonium gets the nod.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: bertolino
Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 11:07
As a quebecois, this one i was obliged... But choice has me "teared apart". So ,comment becomes necessary. Harmonium would be the obvious choice (as the picture of my alias is the front cover of the recent Fiori solo album)  as overall importance, both on this site and in my life. But Maneige, to all things fusion, chamber prog, Gong and Gentle Giant influences and overall evolution within a discographic career, is without pair. Conventum almost gave birth to the whole Chamber/RIO movement with Henry Cow (Lussier and Frith were working together as soon as the very beginning of the eighties) and their two albums are as close to perfection for all related chamber acoustic folk prog. Finally my choice went to Sloche for a single reason. Which band i'd like any of P.A. readers would discover if they didn't know any of these, thinking it could be the find of their listener's life? There you have it. Main absent here would be Etcetera and their lone album.

-------------
45 years of prog listening and still movin'

Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 11:13
^ Merci! J'ai choisi Sloche pour la même raison. Tout le monde connaît Harmonium et Maneige. Sloche était assez unique et à mes oreilles leurs deux albums étaient parfaits !

Thanks! I chose Sloche for the same reason. Everyone knows Harmonium and Maneige. Sloche was quite unique and to my ears their two albums were perfect!

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 11:13
I'd have to pick Harmonium but Sloche is really close, great stuff there. Maniege 3rd.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 11:15
I went for Maneige, for they have 6 fantastic great historical album and a slightly weaker 80's album, plus four great archival albums and two great pre-Maneige as Lasting Weep.

Outside Offenbach, nobody comes close to that amount, and TBH , the band only produced only 4 good (but not great) albums

Other faves are Sloche, Harmonium, Conventum, Opus 5, etc...

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 11:23
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ Merci! J'ai choisi Sloche pour la même raison. Tout le monde connaît Harmonium et Maneige. Sloche était assez unique et à mes oreilles leurs deux albums étaient parfaits !

Thanks! I chose Sloche for the same reason. Everyone knows Harmonium and Maneige. Sloche was quite unique and to my ears their two albums were perfect!

Former quebecois? (Living in CA and writing fluently in french??!)

Can't agree more about "the perfection" side of things. Each time i listen to any, i'm stunned by the quality of the recording. While the organic sound (analog keyboards arsenal of Yacola is without egal) is typically 70's, the sound hasn't age a bit. This guy could be seen  earning a living, directing a small band in local tv shows in my hometown , Quebec city, while Pollen kbst became musical director of Celine Dion!

From a "Quebecois errant" living in Paris for 24 years

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 11:30
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I went for Maneige, for they have 6 fantastic great historical album and a slightly weaker 80's album, plus four great archival albums and two great pre-Maneige as Lasting Weep.

Outside Offenbach, nobody comes close to that amount, and TBH , the band only produced only 4 good (but not great) albums

Other faves are Sloche, Harmonium, Conventum, Opus 5, etc...

Happy to have a "meet again" on this occasion Mr Trane. Our parallel trajectories had to have both of us on this post. The natural order of things still follow his path. Have a nice continuation & see you on one of those similar occasions. Cdlt

-------------

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 13:25
Pollen.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 13:37
Originally posted by bertolino bertolino wrote:

Former quebecois? (Living in CA and writing fluently in french??!)

Can't agree more about "the perfection" side of things. Each time i listen to any, i'm stunned by the quality of the recording. While the organic sound (analog keyboards arsenal of Yacola is without egal) is typically 70's, the sound hasn't age a bit. This guy could be seen  earning a living, directing a small band in local tv shows in my hometown , Quebec city, while Pollen kbst became musical director of Celine Dion!

From a "Quebecois errant" living in Paris for 24 years

Not French or Canadian. Studied multiple languages. Russian, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese and dozens of others to a limited extent. Don't speak French fluently. Used Google translate to get it right but have enough knowledge in French to be able to detect if it's accurate. Basically i can read it extremely well but do not speak it very well at all.

Quebec remains quite unique whether you're talking about classic prog bands or more modern avant-metal bands like Voivod or Gorguts.

-------------

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 13:44
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Harmonium is the only one I know. Embarrassed

Me too

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 13:47
Sounds right! pretty good "googling" as well as i've been abused! Can't follow you on these metal quebecois i know does exist, not my cup of tea. But it's been a funny thing to watch those "t shirts rivalry " all these decades long between quebecois prog and metal afficionados. Not too much real fight to be fair....

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 14:04
^ that's ridiculous. Competition between music is lame. Everyone enjoys different music. So what! I do love Gorguts and Voivod and many other weird bands metal or not. Not everyone does. All good!

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 14:10

^ that's ridiculous. Competition between music is lame. Everyone enjoys different music. So what! I do love Gorguts and Voivod and many other weird bands metal or not. Not everyone does. All good!

Not sure my "personnal translator" put it right this time. Are you angry of what i said? Stunned. I'm an old sixtygoers just unable to support a certain amount of decibels and just leave others at that without expressing any critical point of view about anyone's taste. Where's any notion of competition there? Apart, naturally, of the whole notion of a poll of preference to which you evidently suscribded! This was a nice chat...

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 14:32
^ Non! Ne vous inquiétez pas. Je voulais seulement dire que la musique est subjective et que nous l'aimons tous pour des raisons personnelles. Nous sommes tous d'accord sur certaines musiques et puis certaines nous conviennent personnellement et nous ne pouvons pas expliquer exactement pourquoi ! La vie est un mystère. Acceptons toutes les différences. Pas besoin de compétition ou de mépris pour voir les choses différemment :)

J'écoute les débuts de Conventum en ce moment. Je l'aime! Tres unique.

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 14:41

J'écoute les débuts de Conventum en ce moment. Je l'aime! Tres unique.

Hi, 

Magnifique! 

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Progfan1958
Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 14:52
Morse Code !

-------------
Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"

Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 14:53
Love reading your dialogue Bertolini and SPup (i.e. Bertrand and Mike)!

I agree about the amazingly outstanding quality of sound, composition, and musicianship coming from all of these bands.

Sorry to have missed Etcetera! I've actually never hear of them much less heard their music, so I have much to look forward to!

P.S. I'm sorry Octobre is getting no love. I love their stuff! And they were the first to arrive on the prog wagon (as far as I can discover).

-------------
Drew Fisher

Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 15:26
^ I think one thing is for sure. Quebec has been outstanding in delivering high quality music to the world whether it be exceptional prog bands like Maneige, Sloche or Harmonium in the 70s or Voivoid in the 80s or Gorguts and Godspeed You! Black Emperor in the 90s and beyond. What a special place on the planet that continues to surprise! We love you Quebec!!!

-------------

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: January 19 2023 at 16:00
From the list Harmonium over Sloche and Opus 5. Quebec has more Prog bands then the rest of Canada combined.
Other favs:
Pangee
Dionne-Bregent
Agharta
The Box
Indiscipline
Karcius
Excubus
Spaced Out
l'Orchestra Sympathique
And Miriodor might be at the top of all of these.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: January 20 2023 at 02:36
Yup, the two Dionne-Brégent albums are superbClap

I would also point to Madore's Komuso à 6 Cordes as stupendousShockedStarStarStarStar

Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Quebec has more Prog bands then the rest of Canada combined.
This isn't very hard to achieve: 
Outside Ontario (often under-estimated in the 69/74 era, before the rise of Rush/Triumph/FM and Webster), most other provinces don't have prog bands (at least when it come to 70/80's):
- BC had The Collectors and its continuity in early Chilliwack and the amazing one-shot of Ptarmigan, but that's it.
- The Prairies provinces had nothing (if you except for slightly prog moments in Guess Who and BTO)
- The Maritimes provinces had April Wine, which was not prog (outside their Schizoid cover)

Basically, Quebec & Ontario concentrated 98% of Canadian prog in the 60/70/80's. 

Albeit, I'm much less aware of the origins of modern (post-90's) Canadian prog bands, though 

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Posted By: Rick1
Date Posted: January 20 2023 at 03:05
Conventum: another discovery thanks to the famous ReR sampler!

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: January 20 2023 at 04:34
Maneige for me, from the list I like all, maybe minus Harmonium, never get what is so masterpiece the albums they released, but anyway Maneige are top of their game for me and one of the better  prog bands of the ț70s not only from Canada but in general.

Date Posted: January 20 2023 at 06:34
Originally posted by b_olariu b_olariu wrote:

Maneige for me, from the list I like all, maybe minus Harmonium, never get what is so masterpiece the albums they released, but anyway Maneige are top of their game for me and one of the better  prog bands of the ț70s not only from Canada but in general.

RE Harmonium.

I hadn't listened to H for a while until I was prepping for my radio show that spawned this poll (to air this Sunday night), but as I did I was sucked in! Hearing all three of their albums reminded me once again of just how powerful and exceptional Serge and his compatriots were in their song crafting and sound texturization. ALL of the band members have/had this AMAZING sense for beautiful melody! 

Is it possible, Bogdan, that your own heritage and environmental exposure to more Eastern European melodic sensibilities hard-wired you against the "beauty" that we "Westerners" value?

-------------
Drew Fisher

Date Posted: January 20 2023 at 06:46
Few ! I was pretty sure it was only a matter of translation. My own use of english may be, time to time, unfaithfull to my intentions or ways of thinking... Glad you tried Conventum. Pretty sure this can come as a revelation to many, as this is the most "modern" of the classic quebecois bands. Pleased to have met you (virtually); i actually read you quite often and had frequently followed your paths. Cdlt

-------------

Date Posted: January 20 2023 at 06:51
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Love reading your dialogue Bertolini and SPup (i.e. Bertrand and Mike)!

I agree about the amazingly outstanding quality of sound, composition, and musicianship coming from all of these bands.

Sorry to have missed Etcetera! I've actually never hear of them much less heard their music, so I have much to look forward to!

P.S. I'm sorry Octobre is getting no love. I love their stuff! And they were the first to arrive on the prog wagon (as far as I can discover).

This comes out as the most satisfying exchange on a long time here; your words are very kind and understanding. Agree with Octobre to a certain point. Underrated, but also the most difficult to find nowadays, this explaining that. EtCetera must be heard if anyone has penchant to Gentle Giant. Cdlt

-------------

Date Posted: January 20 2023 at 06:53

From the list Harmonium over Sloche and Opus 5. Quebec has more Prog bands then the rest of Canada combined.
Other favs:
Pangee
Dionne-Bregent
Agharta
The Box
Indiscipline
Karcius
Excubus
Spaced Out
l'Orchestra Sympathique
And Miriodor might be at the top of all of these.
Read you quite often (who doesn't?) As being each side of the "two solitudes", i truly respect that you always tried to "cross that imaginary border". Wish you good continuation.

-------------

Date Posted: January 20 2023 at 07:40
BTW, I've always considered CANO to be related to Quebec (even if the "NO" part of their name refers to Nouvel Ontario), and their multi-artistic disciplines structure resembled somewhat that of Conventum. L' Infonie was also multi-faceted and started releasing in 69. 

mmmmhhh!!!!.... As far as I can see Octobre is facing the very best Québecois. I'm not that big on Octobre myself, partly because it is too traditional song-based and fits somewhere between mid-period Offenbach & mid period Dionysos, all three with gruffy and rough vocals and maybe too much "Joual"-oriented for my tastes. 

As far as Octobre's debut (from 73) being the first, I would say that it's hardly the case, since  Morse Code (Transmission) & Dionysos' debut dates from 71, and Contraction existed as Frank Dervieux' band in 71 and recorded their first Contraction album in 72. Psych group Souls Of Inspiration sole album dates from 70

Although not releasing albums as such, the Pre-Maneige Lasting Weep existed already in 69. The power trio Sex, Vos Voisins, Guillotine  (Jazz/brass rock) and the folk-rock band Nouvelle Frontière also all released their first in 71. Mahogany Rush's debut Maxoom dates from 72.

BTW, Joual being the unabashed and unapologizing popular Quebec-french language with a very strong accent.

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: January 20 2023 at 08:25
My favs are Et Cetera and Pollen with Maneige behind. Definetely I have to listen to Sloche.
Nice poll!

-------------

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: January 20 2023 at 11:36
Quote BTW, Joual being the unabashed and unapologizing popular Quebec-french language with a very strong accent.
Since I don't speak French, I can't tell the accents apart. xD Maybe that's why I like Octobre.

-------------
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: January 20 2023 at 15:26
I went with Sloche. I especially appreciate J'un oeil.

I did a similar Quebec poll quite a few years ago, and a member turned me onto Dionne-Brégent, which did become my favourite classic Québécois band. Miriodor, by the way, was the first "modern prog" band that I got into. Harmonium was the first of these that I heard, in fact I remember hearing music by Harmonium on the radio as a child (maybe on the French language CBC radio). Quebec does rule Canada when it come to music (and the arts generally) generally I feel. I do like the folk of the Maritimes, but Quebec has this rich jazz and folk influence. With English Canada I often associate it with kinds of hard rock, pop rock and AOR that isn't really my bag, but there are some excellent artists (especially folk-oriented) across Canada, and really good Indie rock ones....

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Date Posted: January 20 2023 at 16:20

BTW, I've always considered CANO to be related to Quebec (even if the "NO" part of their name refers to Nouvel Ontario), and their multi-artistic disciplines structure resembled somewhat that of Conventum. L' Infonie was also multi-faceted and started releasing in 69. 

mmmmhhh!!!!.... As far as I can see Octobre is facing the very best Québecois. I'm not that big on Octobre myself, partly because it is too traditional song-based and fits somewhere between mid-period Offenbach & mid period Dionysos, all three with gruffy and rough vocals and maybe too much "Joual"-oriented for my tastes. 

As far as Octobre's debut (from 73) being the first, I would say that it's hardly the case, since  Morse Code (Transmission) & Dionysos' debut dates from 71, and Contraction existed as Frank Dervieux' band in 71 and recorded their first Contraction album in 72. Psych group Souls Of Inspiration sole album dates from 70

Although not releasing albums as such, the Pre-Maneige Lasting Weep existed already in 69. The power trio Sex, Vos Voisins, Guillotine  (Jazz/brass rock) and the folk-rock band Nouvelle Frontière also all released their first in 71. Mahogany Rush's debut Maxoom dates from 72.

BTW, Joual being the unabashed and unapologizing popular Quebec-french language with a very strong accent.

Obviously, Hugues, you know far more about Le scène québecois than I pretend to. My assertion about Octobre's "early" appearance refers mostly to their credit as a highly rated progressive rock band album's release. I see none other in the PA database when one filters "Canada" over the "greatest prog albums of all-time" list.

-------------
Drew Fisher

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: January 20 2023 at 17:37

Yup, the two Dionne-Brégent albums are superbClap

I would also point to Madore's Komuso à 6 Cordes as stupendousShockedStarStarStarStar

Quebec has more Prog bands then the rest of Canada combined.
This isn't very hard to achieve: 
Outside Ontario (often under-estimated in the 69/74 era, before the rise of Rush/Triumph/FM and Webster), most other provinces don't have prog bands (at least when it come to 70/80's):
- BC had The Collectors and its continuity in early Chilliwack and the amazing one-shot of Ptarmigan, but that's it.
- The Prairies provinces had nothing (if you except for slightly prog moments in Guess Who and BTO)
- The Maritimes provinces had April Wine, which was not prog (outside their Schizoid cover)

Basically, Quebec & Ontario concentrated 98% of Canadian prog in the 60/70/80's. 

Albeit, I'm much less aware of the origins of modern (post-90's) Canadian prog bands, though 

Glad you chimed in Hugues I don't think anyone knows more than you about the Quebec scene. You mentioned not knowing as much about the modern ones in the rest of Canada but one that deserves a mention is Mahogany Frog not to be confused with Quebec's Mahogany Rush. And they reside in Manitoba which is shocking almost. But man what a talented band.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: January 21 2023 at 02:34

Obviously, Hugues, you know far more about Le scène québecois than I pretend to. My assertion about Octobre's "early" appearance refers mostly to their credit as a highly rated progressive rock band album's release. I see none other in the PA database when one filters "Canada" over the "greatest prog albums of all-time" list.

Hey, I was there at the right time and the right place (Outremont in 72) Embarrassed, but "unfortunately" too young (9/10 y.o.) to actually really take part in itCry.

In a sense, you are right in that Octobre was the first high-profile "prog" band that enjoyed wide comercial success (though that barely bled out of the province), but they got soon dwarfed by Harmonium & Beau Dommage tsunamis.
By the time of the Harmonium tsunami (summer 74), we'd just moved to Toronto (then Canada's second city after Montreal and a very provincial town).  Unfortunately many of these Québécois bands never toured English Canada (maybe a bit North Ontario and New Brunswick), though I've seen some that came and played the French high-schools in Ontario.

Even English-singing Mahogany Rush rarely played English Canada, as they were busy down in Texas and neighbour states.
 AAMOF, in my hazy daze of a memory, the only Montreal-based band that toured nation-wide was the Halifax (Nova Scotia) origined group (relocated to Montreal) called April Wine. Of course, Montrealer Leonard Cohen enjoyed world wide success, but I wouldn't call it rock. 

Most of those "prog" acts didn't survive into the 80's: only Offenbach (not prog at all by then) and maneige (until 82, I think), as they were all swept by a huge disco craze (Toronto went more "punk") that filled nightclubs and emptying musical bars/pubs. But the "lost" Separatism referendum in 1980 also played a major role into the mood of the record-buying publuc (more on that economic situation below)

=================

You can easily imagine that the national touring for Quebec bands (prog or not) didn't get better in 76, with the PQ coming to power in La Belle province and the separatism that ensued and provoked many tensions. Though French became +/- significant in Southern Ontario (a real minority that added to the nearly 40% of Northern Ontarians that were French-Canadians -as opposed to Québécois), as many of the English/international firms in Montreal relocated to Ontario in retaliation, thus provoking an exodus of 300 000 Montrealers into places like Toronto.  This actually created an electrochoc to Toronto, which overnight became Canada's biggest city and gave the city an international twist and never looked back. My French high school in Toronto was flooded overnight in 76/77 by Montreal teens (including very promiscuous québécoises HugHeart Pig), and had to expand buildings quite quickly.

Montreal was the big loser with that massive middle and upper class exodus and the Olympics held in that same year left the city broke for decades.

But maybe John (MW) and Greg (Mozo-PG) can also chime in from their Ottawa point of view, as they are +/- the same age as me, and probably lived things differently as I did from their English-speaking roots.

=====================

OTOH/however:

A fair bit of the "chansonniers" (a Quebec word that would +/- translate into singer-sonwriter, as opposed to the "chanteurs" -singers - in France, which didn't always write their own music por even words * ) had some success in France - starting with Robert Charlebois, Diane Dufresne, Gilles Vignault, Pauline Julien and Claude Leveillée.

*: in some ways the "chansonniers" were the precussors to Roch Voisine, Natacha St-Pier (both New Brunswickers, if memory serves), Celine Dion, Linda Lemay, Lara Fabian (she lived next door-after to me in Brussels in the 90's - we bothmoved since - and I still cross her path once in awhile shopping in the same luxury supermarket) and Mylene Farmer that enjoyed world-wide success in pop circles in the last 30 years.

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: January 21 2023 at 02:51

Glad you chimed in Hugues I don't think anyone knows more than you about the Quebec scene. You mentioned not knowing as much about the modern ones in the rest of Canada but one that deserves a mention is Mahogany Frog not to be confused with Quebec's Mahogany Rush. And they reside in Manitoba which is shocking almost. But man what a talented band.

Do chime in a lot more, John Hug, because you lived much longer than I did right next to Quebec  and have probably a different PoV than mine.

After all, aside my three years in Mtl and 17 years in Hogtown (Toronto's nickname), this is only a third of my life (however important it has played a role in my life, from age 7 to 27).

I will never thank Canada Ying YangHeart(as a whole) enough for making me whoever I am today - despite those awful greasy poutines Angry having never left my waistline Pinch LOL. BTW, I truly miss (the now-defunct) Ben's Montreal Smoked Meat sandwiches Star (local pastrami)

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Posted By: Boojieboy
Date Posted: January 21 2023 at 18:25
MANEIGE, way above the rest. With Opus-5 in second place.

Honorable mentions to Dionne - Brégent and Conventum.

I don't get all the Harmonium praise. It mostly seems to come from people who only know them, and not the rest. They really shouldn't be voting, as it throws off the results, and isn't fair to the other bands. Regardless, check all of them out for completeness! Clap

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 22 2023 at 20:27
Harmonium tops my list. 

Date Posted: January 23 2023 at 06:43
As an aftertought, may i suggest to your attention, you all Harmonium fans, apart of the recent "Seul Ensemble" under Serge Fiori's name, which is a double cd full to the brim of nearly all Harmonium repertoire in reworked versions, a one man band called "Ere G" (present hereon this site) whose lone album is an anachronistic clone, like if there has been an unknown recordind between the first self titled and "Les Cinq Saisons". Regressive in a sense but fully satisfying nonetheless.

-------------

Posted By: Moyan
Date Posted: April 22 2024 at 18:55
Sloche gets my vote.

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: April 22 2024 at 19:13

Pollen, Harmonium, Sloche and Octobre are for me equal quality-wise. But I'll vote for Harmonium because their music has its very distinct "romantic" elegance to it. Plus the production on all of their albums is top notch.

-------------
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong

Posted By: Octopus II
Date Posted: April 23 2024 at 04:30
Another vote for Harmonium Smile

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk